Coffee and/or Tea Rinse Challenge 2012

Ok thank you. I just made some, I am waiting for it to cool a little bit. I washed my hair today, and still have the DC on my hair. So, I will rinse the DC out and then pour the coffee on my hair concentrating on the scalp...leave it on for like 5 minutes and rinse some more. Got it. :yep:

Cowashed with a rinse of Rooibos tea. Final rinse with nettle/oolong/marshmallow root/chamomile/hibiscus/AVJ. I use some sort of tea rinse at least twice a week when I wash/cowash my hair. My daily spritz is still nettle/oolong/AVJ/water. Planning to buy some Irish Moss to deep condition with. There's a thread in the Natural Living section about it. Have any ladies here tried Irish Moss?

Here's the thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=117790

@Imoan you're not too late:nono: Our fearless leader @IDareT'sHair is cool like that:grin:

What brews do you plan on using?

I will be using the following

Tazo Awake Black T

Traditional Medicinals Organic Teas
Peppermint,chamomile, nettle, ginger

Starwest Bontanicals Catnip Leaf and Flower cut T,
oolong T, Green T.

Choice Organic Roobios Red Bush T

I also do a T rinse that I make with nettle, rosemary, spearmint,raw honey and clove.

I do a deep condish with Kiss My Face Whenever Green T and Lime Conditioner, however I do add, chamomile, horsetail, mint, nettle too it.

Thanks

Everytime I think I'm satisfied with my tea assortment you ladies suggest something wonderful that I can't resist:slap: Looks like I'll be picking up Irish Moss........WantNatural

Massaged GTHC in my scalp. I've decided to become a tea mixtress as well. So I think I'm going to start with black tea, marshmallow root, nettle, horsetail, catnip, and burdock. Plus I'm going to have a midwash rinse with some of those and avj because apparently avj and tea together are awesome. Plus I would save money doing it myself. I just research which ones I think will work fo me and try it out. Are you ladies brewing each tea separately then mixing or brewing the mixes together?

Babygrowth I brew my tea's together...I will add coffee to my tea blend for a mid wash rinse and add avj to my other tea blend for a final leave in rinse. I brew enough for several uses and keep it in the fridge.

^^Do you use some regular ole' instant coffee? I think I want to try that too! I want to do a mid wash rinse with AVJ because I'm not sure how my hair will react if I leave it in. Trust me I've been over here trying all different types of combos for a DC tea blend, a mid wash blend, and a leave in blend.

Nix08

Last edited:
Babygrowth yes I do...I have a tassimo coffee maker and I brew a house blend every morning up until recently I would throw 2 ounces out (because it was too much and I didn't have room for my milk) now I pour that 2 ounces off into another cup and use it at night when I cowash. I add that 2 ounces to about 2 ounces of my mid rinse tea blend and voila...me and my hair are happy!!

Using my: Oolong, Saw Palmetto and Rosemary Blend tonight.

Will brew up: Saw Palmetto, Burdock Root, Bamboo, Nettle and maybe some Oolong for next wash day.

I need to go back and look at that Recipe @SimJam posted up thread.

Will also use IPN Tea-Lightful Pomade once it dries.

Black tea, fresh basil and fresh rosemary leaves blend under my DC as i am typing. Will be rinsing in a half hour. Thinking about adding some more water to the remaining tea and use that under my leave in. I am afraid my hair might get hard though. We'll see.

Now that my hair is behaving :yay: I will try morgina -- Nix08 (finally, right!) :grin::grin::grin: I'll post my thoughts after I steep & use.

IDareT'sHair, how do you use your tealightful pomade? I need to whip that back out and use it up.

@lovelycurls

Roots/Leaves/Flowers I have been putting them in those Cheese cloth Draw String Tea Bags (for loose Tea).

And popping them in the Hot Water.

IDareT'sHair - I ran up on some cheese cloth in Walmart but they do not have draw strings ones. These were in the arts / crafts section though -- not sure if there are different types of cheese cloth. :ohwell: Would those work? I suppose I could tie them off some kind of way since they don't have a draw string.

Ok let me update. I did the coffee rinse yesterday and so I rollerset my hair to go underneath the dryer. Well after my hair was dry, my hair was kind of hard and crispy if that makes any sense. I am assuming this happened because of the coffee, I did rinse very well and then used some conditioner to detangle my hair. What did I do wrong?

Last edited:
Ok let me update. I did the coffee rinse yesterday and so I rollerset my hair to go underneath the dryer. Well after my hair was dry, my hair was kind of hard and crispy if that makes any sense. I am assuming this happened because of the coffee, I did rinse very well and then used some conditioner to detangle my hair. What did I do wrong?

Your hair hates coffee. So does mine. Try teas yet?

divachyk I got mine at the Health Food Store in the Loose Tea Section. They also had Sealable Bags, where you fill your bag and seal. Like a regular Tea Bag.

I chose the draw-string type. I'm certain any type of Cheesecloth would work, but you have to be careful what you tie it with, so you won't have a pot of Loose Herbs floating around once you start steeping.

DarkJoy said:
Ahhh been back on the burdock and the coils are pleeeeeased! Woohoo. Henna'd and used amla powder too. Amazing stuff!

Darkjoy what do you do to your hair before you do your henna treatment? Sorry if you already answered this question, but I'm new to tea rinses but I do henna monthly. Do you do your rinses before or after the henna? Do you add anything to your henna?

@divachyk I got mine at the Health Food Store in the Loose Tea Section. They also had Sealable Bags, where you fill your bag and seal. Like a regular Tea Bag.

I chose the draw-string type. I'm certain any type of Cheesecloth would work, but you have to be careful what you tie it with, so you won't have a pot of Loose Herbs floating around once you start steeping.
@divachyk and IDareT'sHair--When I lost my mesh tea ball I used cheesecloth for a lil minute.

To close off a cheese cloth pouch, just cut a thin strip of cheese cloth and tie the pouch closed. :yep:

Darkjoy what do you do to your hair before you do your henna treatment? Sorry if you already answered this question, but I'm new to tea rinses but I do henna monthly. Do you do your rinses before or after the henna? Do you add anything to your henna?
@phyl73, I just co wash and regular condish (save the DC for after henna). I let it dry (either blow or air) w/o product. Then put on the henna. Straight no chaser. lol. I feel like adding stuff to the hair b4 can make the henna less effective.

Tea rinse after and leave that on, then put the DC on top for an hour. done.

I also just mix my henna with distilled water. No hard matted hair afterwards. I think ppl do way to much. My hir actually feels condistioned after a henna. The one time it got hard was when I added coffee and crap...

Last edited:
@phyl73, I just co wash and regular condish (save the DC for after henna). I let it dry (either blow or air) w/o product. Then put on the henna. Straight no chaser. lol. I feel like adding stuff to the hair b4 can make the henna less effective.

Tea rinse after and leave that on, then put the DC on top for an hour. done.

I also just mix my henna with distilled water. No hard matted hair afterwards. I think ppl do way to much. My hir actually feels condistioned after a henna. The one time it got hard was when I added coffee and crap...

Okay, I'm going to try that with my next henna treatment. I'll do it mid December. I love the way my hair has been acting since I started with the coffee and tea rinses. It's only been a few days, but I know I'll meet my goal of MBL next year if I continue to use the tea and coffee. I'm so glad I was introduced to this challenge. I will be in it next year as well.

I finally gave this a try and mixed black and african red rooibos tea together for a spritz. I have only used it once and it really has helped my itchy scalp issues I was having. I have not scratched since I used it a couple of days ago hahaha

Back