Coffee and/or Tea Rinse Challenge 2012

IDareT'sHair

Thank you for responding so quickly.

I hope that tea rinses work for me too. I took some pics of my hair today b/c I wanted to compare it to older pics and see if the thinning was just in my imagination. It didn't really seem noticeable in the pictures I looked at, but it feels like my hair is much thinner and I know for sure that my ends aren't as thick as they used to be.

SEMO

If you look up thread at Nix08 post you'll see she also reported immediate noticeable results.:grin:

I think you'll be extremely pleased with your results.:yep:

When I 1st started I was rinsing it out, then I started to leave it in as my final rinse after DC'ing.

You have to find which groove works best for your Hair.:yep:

IDareT'sHair

Thanks again for the info. and tips. Maybe I'll try leaving a little in too. Maybe that will speed up my results. :)

Once I upload the pics from my camera to my computer, I'll have to post some comparison pics. I feel like my braids and twists don't look as thick as they used to. But maybe I have hair anorexia and they just look pathetic to me.

HI All,

Can you experienced tea rinse ladies provide alternative teas for shedding other then black tea. I am currently using Lipton black tea for shedding and it leaves my hair too stiff/hard.

Can you also provide teas that i can use as a moisturizing leave-in. Thanks

sorry I'm not an experienced user but
I had that problem ( the second time)
i spray tea on my dry dirty hair then pre poo,
wash
I
poured the remaining tea then DC again:yep:.... at least one hour.

HI All,

Can you experienced tea rinse ladies provide alternative teas for shedding other then black tea. I am currently using Lipton black tea for shedding and it leaves my hair too stiff/hard.

Can you also provide teas that i can use as a moisturizing leave-in. Thanks

I cover my black tea with my deep conditioner so my hair never gets hard

@SEMO I noticed decreased shedding within a couple uses...in actually it was probably after the first use where I spritz'ed the tea on my scalp and let it sit for a while. On that first wash after doing that, the shedding was almost non-existent. That's how I apply my DC tea blend now....roots/scalp first then dampen my hair (as I DC on dry hair - before washing).
As for increased thickness overall that's taken a good month, plus.

I'm also a finger detangler because no matter what I would get some breakage with the comb (over a year now)....however, as of late (I've been using tea over 3 months), I've been using my comb more (still finger detangling first) and my hair is clearly stronger as I am able to achieve no breakage most times when I comb:grin:

RODI I don't use black tea...I'm sure it's good but the first time i used it near the beginning of my journey it dried my hair out (I do suggest using it under your DC (that's how I use my DC blend of teas anyway

Last edited:
Nix08 Nice Overall Review

lamaria211 good Suggestion for RODI to try it with her DC'er.

ETA: Will be Tea'ing this evening after work!:lick: Will be placing an order for:

x2 Slippery Elm
x2 Peppermint

I should throw a box (or 2) of Marshmallow Root in that Cart.:look:

@Nix08

I hope I get the same results. After washing and detangling my hair I used my spray bottle to aim the black tea at my scalp and then down my hair strand. Then I applied my deep conditioner.

After rinsing the dc out, I spritzed a bit more tea on my scalp only, then I applied my leave-in over it. I hope I'm not over doing it.

Hopefully, if I reduce my shedding enough, my hair will appear thicker soon (as new hair continues to grow in).

Eta:

Thanks for including how long it took to notice increased thickness. I'll definitely be monitoring things over the next month. :yep:

IDareT'sHair who woud you NOT add some MR in your cart..come on now:giggle:

SEMO I can't say anything about overdoing it:look: I have a mix of teas that I use in my DC (which is before I wash). I have a mix that I use mid wash again under my cowash conditioner while I wash my body and then a third blend that I mix with equal parts aloe vera juice as a final rinse that I leave in. And I do this practically every day:look:

Tonight I'll soak my tresses in
marshmallow root
Plantain leaves
hibiscus
nettle
horsetail
burdock root
catnip
chamomile and a brew of coffee.

Hmmm! I'm looking forward to that under my DC. Can't wait for my SD Mocha Silk Infusion to come my way. :yep: :lick:

IDareT'sHair who woud you NOT add some MR in your cart..come on now:giggle:

SEMO I can't say anything about overdoing it:look: I have a mix of teas that I use in my DC (which is before I wash). I have a mix that I use mid wash again under my cowash conditioner while I wash my body and then a third blend that I mix with equal parts aloe vera juice as a final rinse that I leave in. And I do this practically every day:look:
Nix08

Your tea regimen is amazing. You're definitely an advanced tea mixtress.

I finally got around to doing a coffee rinses yesterday. I make coffee for my hair after I made a bit to drink. I put it in an applicator bottle and squeezed it onto my scalp. I still smell it in my hair but my shedding was better

Ok Why did i not start this black tea rinse sooner? No don't answer:nono: .
Let me start by saying hello to all of the tea rinse ladies in here. I am fairly new to the board, and as i mentioned in my very first post i have been dealing with major post partum shedding. I have been loosing hair like crazy for almost 2 years. At times it appeared to have stop, but the shedding will come back stronger. So it was an on and off thing. I have eyed this thread for a while, but my stupid @$$ just would not get to brewing :lachen:. I am at a point where i feel i can count my strands with naked eyes. I have tried almost every expensive products with great reviews but the only thing i needed to.
Black tea rinse is the truth. I wish i had taken pictures, but my shedding was so embarrassing i used to hide my shedded hair from my husband. Anyways on to the experience. I got a box of American Breakfast Black tea ( just picked up anything that was on sale at the store that day), and some fresh basil. I boiled some water, then added one leaf of basil and one bag of tea, turned off the stove and let cool. I washed my hair with my usual shampoo, sprayed the tea directly on my scalp then to the length of my hair, then added my DC. I left it on for about 4 hours.
Between detangling in the shower, applying my leave in and twisting my hair ( 8 month post relaxer by the way), i lost 11 strands of hair. I just could not stop combing through my hair to make sure that i wasn't dreaming. I know i shouldn't but i could not stop. I went and got a fine tooth comb ( i know i know), just to be sure that my excessive shedding did in fact stop. Of course i lost a couple more hairs unnecessarily but even that was 100 times less than what i use to lose with detangling alone.
So thank you thank you ladies for all the tips, i read every single post, and you all saved me from being bald.
So i am officially joining the challenge, if i may. Will be using black tea under my dc twice a week. Thanks for having me.

roni I'm smiling as I read your post:grin: I will admit that I am jealous that you had the good sense to incorporate tea at the start of your hair journey rather than 2 years in like me:nono:

I had planned to do a coffee rinse tomorrow, but I decided to use IPN TeaLightful Quench under my DC. I have a lot of this and need to start using it up.

Speaking of VitaCost, I need to make a big buy. I'll make a nice list later but I know I want more Marshmallow, Nettle, Horsetail, Catnip, and Burdock.

sorry I'm not an experienced user but
I had that problem ( the second time)
i spray tea on my dry dirty hair then pre poo,
wash
I
poured the remaining tea then DC again:yep:.... at least one hour.

I tried this this morning and my hair was not so hard. I also added some oil on top of my DC

Speaking of VitaCost, I need to make a big buy. I'll make a nice list later but I know I want more Marshmallow, Nettle, Horsetail, Catnip, and Burdock.

Thanks for reminding me, they have a big store in Vegas, I'm going next month I need to make a list and pick up some things while I'm there.

I used my Njoi GTHC on top of my Shescentit coco creme LI (it has green coffee extract in it- let me know if that doesn't count)

Back