Coffee and/or Tea Rinse Challenge 2012

HelloIDareT'sHair... I have been lurking and scanning your posts with great interest. When you say that you are deep in da stash...I believe you. When I look at the products I think..." she's rich". "loaded". Do you flash your stash?. I did read a listing of oils. It was very extensive. I am planning on getting my Marie Dean items. I am obtaining some things to pet my hair with. I do have some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee beans that I want to use for my oil. They were too strong for me to drink. I can use them for my oil though. ok. well I just wanted to say hello and Thank You! Oh, Hair Mentor!!

Aww thanks for the welcome ladies. You all have been inspiring! I had protein overload the past month so I'm trying to bring healthy back. So, on a whim I whipped together a 'leave-in' rinse with this thread in mind.

I made a strong tea from nettle, jasmine green tea, and chamomile. While it was warm I mixed in a bit of honey as a humectant and some EVOO, peanut, apricot and argon oils. I keep it in a spray bottle in the fridge. IDK how long before it's too old tho. LOL. Will have to see! For the past 4 days, it's been fantastic..and my fragile hair does feel 'sturdier'. Tho it's probably wishful thinking. hehe.

I will try coffee as well. I'll use my slow cooker and make an oil with it and try it as a pre-poo conditioner. I have caffeinated beans and I dont do caffeine anymore...maybe it will perk up my hair, tho. :)

Ah! You ladies give so many ideas... but I'll continue with this for a month and see where it leads my needy follicles.

Thanks ya'll!

Last edited:
Is it too late to join? I just subscribed the day before yesterday, but I've been doing rosemary tea rinses for the past few months on my hair. I've noticed that some of my strands have become a bit reddish since I started, has anyone else using rosemary seen the same thing?

I bought some Lipton black pearl tea at the sto tonight!! I want some fancy teas tho, like horsetail, burdock, and moringa lol! But I ain't doing that much brewing so I better just use what I have for now lol

[USER=313741 said:
felic1[/USER];15344145]Hello@IDareT'sHair... I have been lurking and scanning your posts with great interest. When you say that you are deep in da stash...I believe you. When I look at the products I think..." she's rich". "loaded". Do you flash your stash?. I did read a listing of oils. It was very extensive. I am planning on getting my Marie Dean items. I am obtaining some things to pet my hair with. I do have some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee beans that I want to use for my oil. They were too strong for me to drink. I can use them for my oil though. ok. well I just wanted to say hello and Thank You! Oh, Hair Mentor!!

I feel some kind of way about you using Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee for your hair oil. :lol: I love some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. So where you live? :lol: (jk)

Massaged my crown and edges with my coffee castor oil last night. My crown sure is sensitive. Not sure if it is the coffee or the castor oil. But just going to continue to work it.

faithVA my crown in also sensitive but i havent tried the coffee or castor on it yet. I might pick castor oil up this weekend. It's a Whole Foods weekend afterall and I almost always pick up something for the hair or skin when I go. woohoo! Hope that sensitivity goes away

Soaked my hair & massaged with the tea leave in before bed last night. I think I waited too long to wash. My scalp's been itchy and burny all day and when I spritzed the conditioner it went nuts! Was too late to get up and wash so today is wash day, I guess:buttkick:.

The eczema is kicked up so I'll do my banana DC mask, get that out with baking soda (it scrubs the scalp nice and gets the bits of banana lol), then a acv, nettle, chamomile rinse. :lick: that always eases the itchies.

Massaged my crown and edges with my coffee castor oil last night. My crown sure is sensitive. Not sure if it is the coffee or the castor oil. But just going to continue to work it.

faithVA

I'm reading your reviews with interest. My scalp tends to get 'sore' if oils touch it also. But i couldn't resist making the coffee oil with castor/olive/jojoba oils in the mix...it's steeping now! Other that sealing with it though I'm not sure what else to do. I may just pre-poo my scalp the night before once-week, and hope i don't get any of those spots :burn: it won't be pretty lol.

Btw Ms T IDareT'sHair, can I join the latest recruits also, pretty please with a coffee bean on top? :grin:
I'll be using:
nightly coffee spritz and sealing with coffee oil
HV tea hydrasillica
pre-poo with coffee oil
1xweekly tea rinses and dc on top

This may change if I can get hold of MD's coffee/kokum dc with the 20% discount somehow...nudge nudge.:yep:

@faithVA

I'm reading your reviews with interest. My scalp tends to get 'sore' if oils touch it also. But i couldn't resist making the coffee oil with castor/olive/jojoba oils in the mix...it's steeping now! Other that sealing with it though I'm not sure what else to do. I may just pre-poo my scalp the night before once-week, and hope i don't get any of those spots :burn: it won't be pretty lol.

Ohhh please let us know if the coffee oil makes your scalp sore. I'm curious... I know we're all different but when my scalp acts up everything is irritating. Would love to hear...

Ohhh please let us know if the coffee oil makes your scalp sore. I'm curious... I know we're all different but when my scalp acts up everything is irritating. Would love to hear...

I wouldn't say its sore. It's not that intense. I would say its sensitive to the touch. I can still massage it daily.

The key point though, is that it is ONLY sensitive in the area where I have experienced hair loss. The rest of my scalp is fine.

I am hoping that the sensitivity means that the area of the scalp is healing and being stimulated. But I will of course keep everyone updated over the next month or so.

I'll be doing a rinse with some black tea and I tossed some Tension Tamer in there :yep: It has cinnamon, ginger, lemongrass, catnip and some other stuff. I used this blend before. My hair loves it!

Prepoo'ed today with Chicoro's moisture drench avg/evoo/evco prepoo:lick:,
Shampooed with Avalon Organics Biotin thickening shampoo
Black tea and caffeine rinsed
Currently DCing with Keracare Creme Humecto:lick:
Will be using Keracare leave-in after washing out my dc:lick:
Sealing with JBCO

Hello@ I Dare T's Hair. I am interested in starting the challenge. I have some of my ingredients and others are on the way. I have some exciting tea...catnip, roolios(red)
lipton, nettle, horsetail and a few more that I am not looking at presently.I saw some where about people adding some caffeine to their elixir. I still need to research regarding the caffeine. Where are you ordering it from? Thanks a lot!!

Hello@ I Dare T's Hair. I am interested in starting the challenge. I have some of my ingredients and others are on the way. I have some exciting tea...catnip, roolios(red)
lipton, nettle, horsetail and a few more that I am not looking at presently.I saw some where about people adding some caffeine to their elixir. I still need to research regarding the caffeine. Where are you ordering it from? Thanks a lot!!

felic1

Hey Ms. Lady! Nice Selection you got there. :lick:

I got mine from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Caffeine-Recl...HL5O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330142836&sr=8-3

Hey ladies still rinses twice a week with tea(horsetail, burdock, nettle,black pearl) and some days adding ayurveda powders.

I would like to join this challenge. I have never tried tea or coffee rinses but I have been researching the great benefits. I will start off with simple organic black tea and then I can try different concoctions as I get comfortable.

lovestarr--welcome!

After my wash regimen, I rinsed with jasmine and nettle with a little acv and aloe juice thrown in.

I did learn something yesterday--my hair is very fragile when wet. I couldnt find my detangle comb so had to use a finer one and it was breaking as I combed. Not a lot but still. With kids and pets I need to make sure there's wide tooth combs everywhere--they're always movin stuff around!

No breakage or loss this morning though. it's feeling sooooo soft and moisturized. There's no breakage this morning even when I tug it. whew!

soaked hair with tea (catnip, fenugreek, hibiscus), applied shikakai/neem oil and plastic cap. At end of shower, I added joico conditioner, detangled with magic rake and contour comb. braid to dry.

For ladies that tea rinse under their dc, How long do you keep it on before rinsing?

Today was wash day for me and my 3 girlies, so I started mine first. Poured the tea rinse, added hsr on top and plonked my heat cap on, while I tidied the house, washed the girls hair with CURLS and styled with Kinky Curly. That took about 4 hours...

My hair is now feeling kinda hard now that it's rinsed, ACV'd, M&S'd, and twisted up.

Do you think i tea rinsed for too long? It's the only thing I changed, I usually only do it for 1 hour...

I guess I'm answering my own question. I just hope it feels better in the morning. Imma gonna baggy tonight and hope for the best.

I did my black tea/caffeine powder rinse today under my KeraCare Intense Restorative Masque for 25 minutes. Had very minimal shedding in my camb. I really love the results of doing these rinses at least once a week for shedding alone:yep:

Today was such a great wash day!!

I rinsed with my coffee/black tea/ nettle, peppermint and fennel tea/oil rinse on dry hair. Then I slapped AOHSR (that just came yesterday :)) mixed with vatika oil over it and dc'd for 8 hours while I slept. Then I used that Loreal Sulfate free poo (not a fan, just want to use it up), then used the rinse again, then TJTT conditioner. Let that sit while I showered, then rinsed that out, detangled with TJNS condish then rinsed. My hair felt so soft but strong. But the best part... Only TEN HAIRS!!! That's it! :dance7: This is after flatironing on Wednesday.

And it took about fifteen minutes in the shower to do all of that. I'm feeling myself and my hair right now.

I did my 2nd tea rinse before my DC on Saturday. Maybe I'm shedding less. um can't tell. So this is my 2nd week. I will do tea rinses until the end of March to give it a good run.

Have been really busy so I haven't oiled my scalp with my coffee castor oil but hope to get to it tonight.

Back