BSL 2012 Challenge!!!

What is your goal date for BSL?
September 2012. I hope to make full APL by June 7, 2012 my 21st birthday

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story?
This is the healthiest and prettiest my hair has ever been. I always thought I had blehhh hair. 2012 will be about keeping my ends healthy and using natural products.

Whats your current length? APL in the back and about shoulder length in the front.

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL?

Reggie:
Henna once a month
DC once a week.
Shampoo weekly.
Shampoo and condition in braids.
Twist (or braid) with leave in and seal.
Cut splits and knots while twisting.
Bun old twistouts/braidouts
Styles: Braid out, twist outs and buns
Oil scalp w/castor oil or jojoba oil/rosemary/thyme/cedar/lavender
I need to get my products more stable. I've been using Aussie Moist but I need natural products for really healthy hair.
Products
Giovanni Direct LeaveIn
Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner and Shampoo
Aubrey Organics Island Naturals Conditioner
Jamilla Henna
Shea butter mix (looking to change this)
Grapeseed and coconut oil

What do you plan to do once you make BSL?
Whip my hair back and forth, whip it whip it.
I'll probably do a roller set and saran wrap. Or just a plain flatiron. Some straightened style because I rarely straighten. I haven't straightened my hair once this year.

My hair in an old braidout today, I'll update JAN. 1 with naked hair pictures in the same shirt.

Soooo, I've been wearing twists for the past week. I just took my hair down, and I'm skimming BSL in the back. :grin: Im APL everywhere except for the very front which has about an inch to go. I'm ecstatic. :drunk:

I'm going to update my goal for BSL to June. If I twist and hide my hair in twists I think I can make it.

Pics:
Photo99.jpg

I had my head tilted in this one. Yall know I suck at pics by myself.

No tilt in this one. I have less than a half an inch to go.

Photo93.jpg

I'll update at the end of december with pics in my blue stripey shirt. I'm just happy right now and I had to share. :drunk::grin:

Soooo, I've been wearing twists for the past week. I just took my hair down, and I'm skimming BSL in the back. :grin: Im APL everywhere except for the very front which has about an inch to go. I'm ecstatic. :drunk:

I'm going to update my goal for BSL to June. If I twist and hide my hair in twists I think I can make it.

Pics:
Photo99.jpg

I had my head tilted in this one. Yall know I suck at pics by myself.

No tilt in this one. I have less than a half an inch to go.

Photo93.jpg

I'll update at the end of december with pics in my blue stripey shirt. I'm just happy right now and I had to share. :drunk::grin:

Correct me if I'm wrong...buuuuut it looks like you could be BSL in 2 months.

My goal date is December 2012. I am aiming for BSB, as I wear by bra much lower than the average on the board. My BSL line is actually more like MBL. If I achieve my BSB goal, my next goal will be full APL (with my bottom layers falling probably around MBL).

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.)

I'm in this challenge because I just achieved APL with my longest layers. I've been BSB before, when I was relaxed and also as a child (I actually had TBL hair as a child). My hair was doing great when I went natural, and then I had the bright idea to dye (and subsequently cut) my extremely fine hair. As the months went by I realized how much damage the dye did to my hair. Even with that, I often get bored when my hair is this length, and staying in the challenge will keep me from doing something drastic to it. Once I reach the goals set forth above, I will focus on maintenance and a gradual cutting of the colored parts. I will then focus on my ultimate goal of MBL/BSL layered hair.

Whats your current length?
Combination of SL/APL layers.

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?

Colored natural.

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)

Staying 100% natural (no new dye), continuing my current regimen of washing three or more times a week, DC and protein when I need it, and a combination of WNGs and braidouts. I also take liquid silicon and a B vitamin complex. I will probably use heat once every three to four months.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)

Oh, I already answered this one! But I plan to get the rest of my layers to at least APL, which will probably make my bottom layers MBL. I then plan to maintain by gradually chopping off the colored hair. Then I will continue to my ultimate goal of layered BSB/MBL hair.

SAM_0063.jpg

Last edited:
April 1 / May 1 at the latest.

I was grazing MBL about a month ago, went for a trim, ended up cutting back to APL. I was okay because its even now. Now I'm more concerned with the health of my hair but I do want my length back. One step at a time.

APL but my hair grows fast and I'm aiming to take extra caution to aim for an inch a month. BSL is only 3 inches away.

Natural!!!

Wiggin' it! My hair will be braided, deep conditioned, and detangled once a month (typically at the beginning). Moisturize with EVOO or EVCO and JBCO edges daily. Drink my herbal tea daily (acts as a vitamin).

I'm also in the No Heat challenge.

Wear it out for a weekend then back to protecting til WL.

WILL RETURN TO ADD PICTURE.

Count me in!

What is your goal date for BSL? December 31, 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? This will be the first time I have ever made it to this length

Whats your current length? SL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Texlaxed

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? Shampoo Once a week followed by a deep condition. Co wash once or twice a week. Stretching Relaxers, Little or no heat, wigs for protective styling or rollersetting.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? Stay discipline until MBL, at least I hope so :grin:

Attachments

• IMG_6157.JPG
    IMG_6157.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6169.JPG
    IMG_6169.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 56
I was going to straighten last night and take pics but I was too lazy, LOL. I think I'll do it this weekend while I'm on vacation so that my mom can trim it for me.

Still doing well with this challenge. I will be getting my hair weaved up on the weekend. I'm trying to hold oon to every inch possible.

I'm considering straightening for starting pics, but I'm not 100% sure because I suck at straightening...it never comes out right. Ill prob just do a stretch/pull picture.

I've been trying to find new ways to combat dryness in the colored section of my hair. Don't remember what video on YouTube suggested it but I did a honey & olive oil mask last night. Put on a plastic cap and wrapped a towel around my head for 30 minutes. :lick: talk about moisture!! Will try it again next weekend with heat and see how that goes.

December 31, 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.)

This will be my first time being BSL. I never had hair longer than grazing APL

I am currently grazing APL (well past collarbone).

Natural.

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)

I will co-wash every day (curly girl method)
I will wash & DC once a wk .
I will bun or wear a wash & go pony everyday until I can grow out my hair to a length where my wash & gos don't look so crazy.
I will apply (alternating) JBCO and peppermint-lavendar-rosemary jojoba mix to my scalp everyday; I will apply JBCO to my edges everyday.
I will do a Henna treatment 2x/mo.
I will improve my diet, exercise more, and drink a gallon of water/day

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)

Get my natural hair cut into a nice shape by a professional and probably get my hair straightened - I will post pics before the 1st of the year.

[USER=190014 said:
MsKikiStar[/USER];14833127]I've been trying to find new ways to combat dryness in the colored section of my hair. Don't remember what video on YouTube suggested it but I did a honey & olive oil mask last night. Put on a plastic cap and wrapped a towel around my head for 30 minutes. :lick: talk about moisture!! Will try it again next weekend with heat and see how that goes.

How much honey and olive oil did you use?I want to try some different homemade conditioner recipes in 2012

I'm IN!!!!!

I'll have starting pics up late on this week!

I don't really have a goal date... As long as I am there by the end of the year!

I have been BSL before but I used to have a permanent color in my hair and I've been cutting it out so I've chopped off about half of my hair! Also my ends were very thin and see through I think due to excessive coloring, breakage and the Denman brush!

Natural!

I am tweaking my regime until I find something that works! I will be protective styling, NO HEAT except DC and steaming for moisture! I think I am going to start back on my vitamins! I have bunch and I need to start taking them! Nothing drastic..! I am going to wash less frequently! Cutting it down now to twice a month and eventually once a month to just manipulate the hair less overall... I am going to see how this works for me because I do have issues with tangles and I'm trying to get my finger combing routine down.

I don't think I'm going to do anything special when I make it to BSL well... Since I'm doing the HYH challenge as well I will most likely wear it in a twist out or braid out to enjoy my length! I considered flat ironing but haven't made a decision yet... I will be 2 years heat free at the end of the challenge and I'm not sure if I'll want to go back to using it! I may do a flexi rod set or treat myself to some curlformers! Maybe even mini twists! The possibilities are endless!

I would like to join this, I was in the 2011 Challenge, have had MAJOR setback, so I have to cut my hair...

Will answer questions later

BSB goal date June 2012
BSL goal date Dec. 2012

This would be my first time ever having BSL hair.

APL but not full APL

Natural

My reggie:
Mud wash weekly
DC either on dry or wet hair alternate weeks
Black tea rinse
Moisturize and seal daily then baggie
Apply emu oil blend every other day
Stretch hair in braids or curlformers
Protective styling including twist, wigs, buns, & other PS with the ends tucked.

Wear my hair out more but still be disciplined enough to do protective styles to reach my other hair goals.

Attachments

• APL.jpg
    APL.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 43
[USER=292332 said:
faithVA[/USER]]How much honey and olive oil did you use?I want to try some different homemade conditioner recipes in 2012

about 2-3 tablespoons of each. popped in the microwave for 15 seconds in a small glass bowl to mix it better. my Granny said next time to add coconut oil also.

^^^Yeah I love honey!!! I'll add it to my Deep Conditioners too just to kick up the moisture. You'll love it with coconut oil next time. I like it with grapeseed oil as well.

^^I bought some organic honey this past weekend to add to my DC's. I wanted to try the olive oil/honey combo.....I will try this in the near future. I also want to use the honey for a facial mask as well.

November 3rd 2012~ My 25th birthday! :party:

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? I transitioned for 2 years! I am currently 2 years 4 months post relaxer and 4months natural. This is the longest my hair has EVER BEEN AND BSL will be the best birthday gift I could ever give myself.

2011 Length check in 2days but I am crossing my fingers for APL (or a bit longer:yep:)

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? I am doing this challenge while so doing The Wig Challenge, HYH Challenge 2012, Braid It Up Challenge, and LadyPanialo Deep Moist Method.

I am going to get my hair straightened for the first time and rock for the week of my birthday!

salenahair.jpg

Last edited:
I've been making use of my hooded dryer and I'm seeing great results with dcs...not that I haven't seen great results when I dc'ed with heat previously...its just been a long time and I forgot how effective it is. Soooo hopefully this will aid me even further in my BSL journey.

Got my natural hair straightened and trimmed in layers.

So basically, here's my 2012 starting point:

From the front:
47bb166f-689f-7786.jpg

And the back (it might be sideways sorry):
47bb166f-68df-494c.jpg

I'm in, hopefully I'll remember to check in sometimes, I'm awful at remembering what challenges I'm in. Or rather I willfully ignore that use up your stash/quit being a PJ one :look: :giggle:

Anytime before December 31st 2012 is fine by me.
APL/ BSB stretched
Natural
Daily wash n go and I use very little heat out of sheer laziness.
:grin:
**Please add a starting pic now or at least before Jan 1 2012
IMG-20111214-00649.jpg

August 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? This would be my first time having hair this long and I want it...i want it real bad!!!:grin:

Whats your current length? APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Texlaxed

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? Nothing solid but I plan to poo/dc on Wednesdays, steam on Saturdays.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? Take naughty pictues with my hair covering my bXXbs!!!

Attachments

• Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
December 31

Reached APL, this is my next goal

APL in the back, almost APL in the sides

Natural

Protective style more. When I'm in braids/twists low manipulation. When my hair is our wash/dc at least every 2 weeks, braid my hair nightly to stretch it, then wear it in a puff

Move on to MBL

Back