BSL 2012 Challenge!!!

[USER=308423 said:
Charla[/USER];14620773]What is your goal date for BSL?
December???

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story?

This will be my first time ever being BSL!

Whats your current length?

SL Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL?
Protective styling, vitamins, ultra low manipulation via C&G, super simple reggie

What do you plan to do once you make BSL?
Stay disciplined and focused on MBL

We can do this girl. We are shooting for the same time frame. And we still have the rest of November and December to go before we officially start. :yep:

We can do this girl. We are shooting for the same time frame. And we still have the rest of November and December to go before we officially start. :yep:

Yes, that's right! My mind is already in 2012!:lol:
I got my hair braided today, and the girls brother was there. He had WL dreads! Ugh! How do boys do that and we fight and struggle for every darn strand!!!

[USER=308423 said:
Charla[/USER];14620799]Yes, that's right! My mind is already in 2012!:lol:
I got my hair braided today, and the girls brother was there. He had WL dreads! Ugh! How do boys do that and we fight and struggle for every darn strand!!!

I know right. oooh some of them are sooo sexy. And I've seen some nice dreads on women but I have never seen any that matched the dreads on some of these guys. Girl you have me flash backin to the guy at Ruby Tuesday's. :lol:

Guys keep it simple.

Yes, that's right! My mind is already in 2012!:lol:

I know right. oooh some of them are sooo sexy. And I've seen some nice dreads on women but I have never seen any that matched the dreads on some of these guys. Girl you have me flash backin to the guy at Ruby Tuesday's. :lol:

Guys keep it simple.

I believe people with dreads can retain more length because they do not comb nor manipulate their hair. Plus the shedded hair stays in the braids which also helps retain more length.

Hi Everyone, I'm joining this challenge to motivate myself towards BSL.

What is your goal date for BSL?
Dec 31,2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.)
I have never had hair beyond SL that I can remember. Reaching BSL would be a huge milestone.

SL stretched

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?
Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)
I will be roller setting and wearing my hair pinned up, bunned, or a peacock twist/French twist to keep the ends protected. I plan on adding sulfur a la NJoy whenever it arrives. I will also be taking vitamins and exercising more regularly. I'm determined to make some progress this year.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? I really want to beable to wear a larger variety of buns, so I think I may buy myself a very expensive hair toy of my choosing if I can reach this goal.
6453845333_4bfee77b93_m.jpg

Last edited:
OK Here's my OFFICIAL entry into this challenge:

I'm going to make it to full BSL by May 2012. I'll probably be brastrap grazing by February 2012.

Well I grew my hair out the past few years and then this spring/summer I chopped it off and was at APL this summer. Now I'm growing it back, with no crazy cutting this time! I'm going for hip and beyond. BSL is my next step.

October-16-267x300.jpg

This is my length as of Oct 17 2011

100% Natural

I'm a keep it simple girl. For winter I do weekly washes and DCs, either twists for a week or straighten and wear updos for the week. For warm months I cowash every few days (sometimes every day) and wear wash n gos, braidouts, buns, ponytails. I'm going to try to henna monthly, but I tend to forget.

After BSL I'll be moving on to MBL, then WL, then HL, then TBL, then Classic, then knee length, Then FLOOR LENGTH!!! :grin:

I want in but will update with answers and pics tomorrow. Just marking my spot for now thanks to @faithVA and @NikkiQ in the APL 2012 challenge:yep:.

Last edited:
I'm in! If I would spend less time being scissor happy and trying to attain 100% blunt hair, then maybe BSL would not continue to evade me! I just don't get why a trim and a cut are the same price at my beauticians! It makes me feel like I'm not getting my moneys worth if I don't cut!

Hey Ladies!!

I flat ironed about 2 weeks ago, how much longer until full APL do you guys think? Any suggestions? I'm wearing a wig right now and doing a lot of co-washes.

Attachments

• hair11_3.jpg
    hair11_3.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 45
this is just a quick length check from last week.
inching my way closer to apl!
hopefully bsl is attainable by the end of 2012 :]]

Attachments

• length.jpg
    length.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 115
Okay I promised to come back and update so here it is:-

I am not even APL yet so I guess I'm shooting for the very end of December 2012.

I have been BSL before but barley touching it then decided to go natural. I couldn't handle the very tight coils and was losing more hair than when I was fully relaxed so I texlaxed my hair to enjoy the best of both worlds. Now I love it! Now I am just below shoulder length and need about 3 inches to get to APL again and another 4 to 5 inches to get to BSL. Obviously I am very optimistic.

Just below shoulder length right now.

Texlaxed

Lots of protective styling using primarily wigs but will probably alternate them with some weaves. Heat will be kept to a bare minimum - maybe 4 times for the year. Texlaxer stretches will be every 12-14 weeks. At first, I was going to texlax every 8-10 weeks but I realize that my wigs are giving me the ability to stretch a little longer:yay:. Oh, I almost forgot, I joined the vitamin challenge and it keeps me on point even on days I forget. I check my email and there sits my reminder on those days when I do forget.

BSL is actually my intended final destination for my hair. I will be very happy to get there again but this time, I don't want to just barley be there - I want full BSL this time around. I will wear it out a few special times a year, but for the most part, I like the versatility of wgs so I will most likely still be wearing them quite a bit:grin:.

Now as for my starting pic - here it is:-

Attachments

• Hair Updates November 10th, 2011 006.jpg
    Hair Updates November 10th, 2011 006.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Imani, Go right on ahead dear and add me to the challenge on that front page baby:grin:. I am officially updated and ready for the challenge:yep:.

My goal date is 02/19/2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.)

23mor3p.jpg

I was on my way to BSL in September 2010, I decided I wanted my color a little lighter okay much lighter like in avator, well shortly there after my hair been to break off, I was tempted to just cut it all off, at first I was in denial about the chemical damaged...but one year later, its no more denial....Ive been able to mask the breakage..and my hair is growing back thicker as ever..so I look forward to hitting BSL by 02/12 it could have been a lot of worse...with the damage so Im consider myself blessed
Between APL and BSL will need to trim my ends

Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)
Low manipulation, rollersets, sulfur mix will start back on the vitamins and keep moisture and my ends protected

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)
Well in February 02/19/2012 I will flat iron my hair for my birthday to see if I have made it to BSL and then wear it out a couple days, then focused to MBL by 09/30/2012 that will be 2 years post dye damaged

This will be my starting picture because I dont plan on straightening no more this year not until February2012
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Ladies!!

I flat ironed about 2 weeks ago, how much longer until full APL do you guys think? Any suggestions? I'm wearing a wig right now and doing a lot of co-washes.

Looks like a 2ish inch difference...so I'd say April 1 or May 1 2012 depending on retention. Good Luck!!

I'M IN!!!

Dec 2012

First time ever to BSL!!!

NL as of July 2011 :lachen:

Transitioning from relaxed to texlaxed

PSing, stretch relaxers every 6 month, no heat, take spirulina and chlorophyll daily, GHE every night, drink Nettle tea

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)

Probably treat myself to a flat iron and get whiplash...aaahhhh that will be a good day!:yep:

Attachments

• IMGP3883_1.jpg
    IMGP3883_1.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Apr 2012.

my hair has never been longer than SL all my life! i did an accidental length check today and discovered i was APL:blush:

Whats your current length? just past APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Natural

Reggie-
daily cowashing (since 1 nov 2011 and my hair is thriving since:lick:), alternating between BFH cond and Mill creek biotin conditioner.
Shampoo once a month (joico chelating shampo, might change?)
DC under steamer, twice a week
seal with JC nourish and shine after cowashing
Immediately plait or twist hair into a protective style
will trim when needed

My my my my, my heart is beating so fast just thinking of BSL, will probably flat iron and show off:grin: for few days and than back to pursue MBL.

Happy Hair journey all!

Attachments

• S1100006.jpg
    S1100006.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 56
I can officially put my hair in a ponytail and bun it on unstretched natural hair. Its one of my many goals and I'm excited that I can now protective style with buns.

I've just made an appointment for a blowout, straighten and trim for 1st Dec. I'm scarred!! :nervous2:
Never had heat on my hair before...
I don't trust hairdressers - they'd better take off what I ask them to...
He sounded all too blase on the phone...
and I hope it shows that I'm the APL I think I am....:perplexed

But I'll take a pic and that will be my starting pic for this challenge.

Joining this for the just in case. Depending on the bra I'm anywhere from BSL (barely) to an inch and a half away.

So I'm gonna join this challenge and say the latest ill be BSL (hopefully closer to MBL) by March. Thats if I'm cold trippin though and have a serious set back.

HHG!

Add me please
I will def. be BSL 12-31-2012!!! I am currently 11 months post relaxer. I am transitioning without BC. I am currently full APL.

Hey ladies,

I texlaxed this past Thursday and took a few pics, which will be my starting pics. The pics are in my Hair Journey album linked below in my signature. I cannot upload any of my pics to LHCF because the file size is too large on my pics. If anyone can help me with that please, please, please do (I'll really appreciate it :)).

ETA: I figured out the picture situation. My starting pic is in my siggy. I'm hoping to reach APL when I texlax again in Feb or March and I'm crossing my fingers to see BSL by the end of 2012.

Last edited:
Hola Ladies,

I am IN>

December 31, 2012

The last time my hair was this length I was 12 years old. I thought it would be cool to cut it.... NOW I WANT IT BACK.. LOL

1 inch above APL

Relaxed

1.) Eating Healthy
2.)Vitamins
3.) Water
4.) Co-Wash Weekly
5.) Protein Treatment and DC Monthly
6.) Moisturize and Seal Nightly
7.)Exercise
8.)Visualization

Play Willow Smith's Whip My Hair and Do a HAPPY Dance

I am hiding my hair so the Starting Picture will come later

hey, I don't know if I will take my weave out before jan,1 ! my plan was flat ironing my natural hair for the first time then.. so I will add a pic now and take it as my starting pic, I promise I will practice length check pics in the future :lachen:

Attachments

• 2011-11-10 00.25.06.jpg
    2011-11-10 00.25.06.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 49
Back