BSL 2012 Challenge!!!

What is your goal date for BSL?
Dec 2012. BSL with blunt cut ends!

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story?
My first long term goal was APL and I thought I could neverrr get my hair that long. My new hair goal is MBL before I graduate so BSL is the next stop!
APL is now short in my eyes. :spinning:

Whats your current length?
Touching APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?
Relaxed/Texlaxed

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL?
Sew-ins have given me the most progress. I moisturize every other day with braid spray or diluted conditioner. Keeping it simple. Protective styling for a year.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL?
*praise break* cry tears of joy! :lol:

I will post a starting pic next month.

Here's my starting pic. My hair is very thin because of all of my setbacks.
468bb3d8-534e-591b.jpg

I'm aiming for BSB because my bras are inconsistent.

Hi Ladies! Can I join?

June of 2012.

I always had "long hair for a black girl" like between full SL and APL. But my horrible hair care practices caught up with me and by 2005, I was chin length, thin and damaged. I may have been training bra length in my youth but I have never been BSL as an adult.

A bit past APL.

I'm a naughty natural which is to say I flat iron my hair about once a month. :look:

PS, Low Mani, weekly wash/detangle/condition/DC, protein every two weeks if I'm being a good girl. I have retained about 4 inches (after two trims) since I started my HHJ (February 2011) so I plan on keeping up pretty much the same regimen. I will get extension braids at the start of the year and maybe stay in braids until I hit BSL if I like the growth I see after the first braid cycle. If I retain in braids as well as usual, I should be BSL by April. But I plan on giving myself til June. Hopefully, I'll be BSL by June 2012 and MBL by December 2012 (I have a short torso).

Pat myself on the back, head to the salon, whip it...and then bun or braid it back up til MBL!!! Once I'm MBL, I will evaluate whether I need to go to WL to meet my goal of having full SL or even APL W N G's. My hair shrinks like a mug.

Here's a pic of my hair at the start of my HHJ, February 2011 (went to the salon and got it flat ironed)
mail

Here's my hair yesterday. Excuse the ratiness; I did it myself and I'm not particularly good at doing hair. :blush: It is actually more even/healthy/thick than it appears in the photo, I promise. :lachen:

mail

I am thinking of BSL as the top of this bra, MBL as the bottom of it. HHG, ladies!

I will join! I'm skeptical about actually reaching it, but it's good to have goals, right? I'm so excited!

What is your goal date for BSL? DECEMBER 2012. I NEED ALL THE TIME I CAN GET LOL

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? THIS WILL BE MY FIRST TIME EVER BEING BSL! WHICH IS THE REASON I'M SO PESSIMISTIC ABOUT IT. BUT HOPEFUL AT THE SAME TIME. THIS IS MY ULTIMATE HAIR LENGTH GOAL.

Whats your current length? CBL AT MY LONGEST LAYER

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? AU NATURAL :)

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? PROTECTIVE STYLING IN 2-STRAND TWISTS AND/OR BUNNING. WASH AND DC WEEKLY. DC WITH MEGATEK BI-WEEKLY OR MONTHLY. MOISTURIZE AND SEAL NIGHTLY. SCALP MASSAGE DAILY ALTERNATING WITH MEGATEK AND BEEMINE SULFUR SERUM. DUSTING EVERY 3 MONTHS. TAKING VITAMINS REGULARLY. DRINKING PLENTY OF WATER AND EXERCISING.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? I WILL DEFINATELY BE STRAIGTENING AND WHIPPING IT LIKE WILLOW SMITH:lol:. THEN GETTING BACK ON TRACK AND SEEING IF I CAN HIT MBL

Last edited:
What is your goal date for BSL? full bsl June 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.) Had grown my hair to past apl but then had major setback so decided to go natural
Whats your current length? some areas touching bsb and others past apl Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc) vitamins, weaving it up 2-3 mths at a time. deep conditioning weekly, and ayurdevic oils for thickening and growth
What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc) not sure but will definitely stay focused on mbl and then wl---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't put more info.

I was originally I the BSL 2011 thread and like I said, depending on my bra, im either there or 2 inches away.

So for this challenge I want to be FULL BSL/MBL by March 2012.

Regime:
-wash every 2-3 weeks with a non sulfate shampoo (Elasta QP conditioning shampoo)
- condition/deep condition with whatever is around. Usually APHogee 2 minute reconstructor.
- use a spray with glycerine, water and a little bit of castor oil.
-seal with an oil or Shea butter.
-I mostly wear twists, occasionally braid and buns.

I plan to straighten I December because I'm in need of a professional trim and hopefully my ends aren't too bad. BUT I should be okay.

Let me see if I can find a picture...
Found one! It's from August so it's longer now, but this was in a BSB sports bra so yeah.
aefc4618-26fb-5f56.jpg

Hi Imani, I'd like to join as well!

What is your goal date for BSL? June 2012
What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? I was BSL years ago, but had a scissor happy stylist and various setbacks.
Whats your current length? APL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Relaxed with a color treated section in the front
Shampoo, Condition & Deep Condition every week.
Protein treatment on colored section weekly, non-colored hair bi-weekly.
Apply a temporary color weekly (I use Manic Panic).
Relax every 8-12 weeks. (anything past 14 weeks is a nightmare for me.)
Airdry on relax day and in Spring/Summer. Blowdry on low heat in Fall/Winter.
Flatiron weekly. (I'm trying to cut back now)
Take multi-vitamin, biotin, silica, MSM, Super Chlorella and omega 3/6/9 daily. (Haven't been doing this since about July though )
*I will no longer color my hair, as I found relaxing and permanent color is too stressful on my strands.
**I'll also try to protective style more often to get my nape to catch up with the rest of my hair.
What do you plan to do once you make BSL? Stay persistent and make it to MBL. Then just enjoy my hair.

I need to find a better bra to track with because the one in my starting pic sits low. Until then, I'll use my tattoo.

Attachments

• 11-22-11.jpg
    11-22-11.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 11-22-11_2.jpg
    11-22-11_2.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I've had my sew in for six weeks now, I have two more weeks to go. I will straighten my hair on the 9th( I have an appointment already :look:) I hope I am still APL after my trim...

I just moisturized and sealed my luscious ends and now baggying until morning. Grow my baby, grow!

Today I sectioned my hair in quarters and dampened each section with water, then applied Organix Coconut conditioner and detangled, then applied warm EVOO. Placed a baggy on my head and sat with my thermal heat cap on for about 40 mins. Then I took the heat cap off and tied a scarf around the baggy and then placed a winter hat over it and slept for about 1 1/2 hrs. My hair felt really nice after. After shampooing I applied Megatek to only the bottom half of my hair focusing on my ends for 7 mins under a shower cap and then applied Beemine bee-u-ti-ful deep conditioner focusing heavily on my ends and am now sitting under my steamer typing this. We'll see how much my hair appreciates this TLC when this is rinsed out! GROW GROW GROW!
I also picked up some Biotin vitamins so hopefully that'll help.

I finally caught one of the challenges before they actually begin...YAY!!!

December 2012. My hair is shoulder length now. I will try different techniques for faster hair growth ... not sure if bsl will be possible but I'm going to give it a try.

Never had BSL hair before.

What's your current length?
Shoulder Length.

Transitioning

PS's
Wigs
Deep condition once a week.
Air dry

Imma swang it!! :grin:

I'm IN!!

June 2012. BSL in a U shape

I went from SL to APL/BSB in a year and my hair still feels short. So, BSL & MBL are my goals...Praying it will feel long after that.

APL/BSB

Relaxed/Texlaxed (mainly)

Keeping it simple. Protect ends. Moisture/Protein Balance. Nioxin Vitamins/cremaides/mositurize and seal. Buns/Low manipulation styles, wash every 7-9 days.

Celebrate for one day and then Put my hair back up until I am MBL

I will post a starting pic Dec 31, when My challenge(No length check) is over!

ETA December 31, 2011:

d0362589-bd51-1fbd.jpg

What is your goal date for BSL? December 31, 2012 :lachen::lachen:

What brings you to this challenge? This will be my first time ever being full BSL (I grazed BSL in the past when I was relaxed). I BC’d in June after a year of transitioning and I want my longer hair back again :yay:

Whats your current length? CBL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning? Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? I will be PS'ing in twists most of the year (I'm using heat 2x for trims). I'm in the Crown & Glory Challenge, so I won't be wearing my hair out next year :cry: I'll also be taking my hair growth vitamins (2,000 mg of MSM).

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? I will treat myself to a flat iron 'do and whip my hair, then I will go straight back into PS'ing and get focused on reaching MBL and WL in 2013 :look: I'm on a mission :lol:

I will be posting my starting pic at the end of December because I am in the HYH challenge and will be getting my hair flat ironed for an end of the year length check :yep:

I've been waiting for someone to start this challenge for the longest! :grin:

July 2012, right before my family reunion so i can show off all my natural hair :grin: Especially since everyone was disappointed when i chopped off my BSL relaxed hair.

I want my hair back to the length it was before i went natural, which was BSL and the longest ive ever been. YET im not stopping here... i plan to let my hair grow as long as it can or atleast MBL.

Not sure, ive been in a sew in for 7 weeks now but last time i checked my longest layer was 1.5 inches away from APL. My sides and shortest layers were exactly collar bone length.

90 percent natural. my sides still have perm on the ends which i REFUSE to cut .. gotta keep my length:lachen: I havent had a perm since May 2009 & has successfully chopped away perm month by month without the BC.

Ive learned that im tooooo lazy to keep up my twist outs and ALWAYS doing length checks or heat... so now i plan on wearing sew ins and wigs. With wigs i plan on getting my hair braided once a month or every 3 weeks along with shampoo & wash & over night deep conditioning. Also spray oils (olive oil, coconut oil, tea tree, shea butter, ect.) on the braids every other day. Right now with my sew in i wash and condition every 2 weeks with a spray bottle. use braid spray every now & then. I just dnt have the time anymore to cowash and do twist outs that much so hopefully this helps!

First in line at the salon to get this hair layed! imma be whipping my hair like im crazy, bouncing with every step i take just to make my hair move like its windy :grin: i will finally have that length i can slap ppl in the face with if i turn aroun to fast!! :yep:

After all that :lol: i plan to keep growing and have healthy hair! MBL next :drunk:

Starting Pic :grin:
CIMG0210-1.jpg

Me, I want to join! I'm grazing BSL now and aiming for full BSL by December 31, 2012. :spinning::drunk::lick::yep:

What is your goal date for BSL? December 31, 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.) Just growing my hair

Whats your current length? APL, grazing BSL

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc) Cowash, DC, Airdry into a protective style, nothing special

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)
Flat iron and play with length

Last edited:
Dec 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.)

This will be my first time being BSL. I never had hair longer than SL until I came to LHCF :yep:

I am currently grazing APL.

I am relaxed.

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)

I relax every 10 to 12wks with ORS NoLye (Normal) Relaxer.
I wash & DC once a wk with Giovanni TTT poo & AO HSR conditoner.
I bun everyday and only use heat maybe 1x a month.
I also protein DC with ORS Hair Mayo when needed.
M & S everyday.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)

I'm going to whip my hair back & forth like Willow. :look:

Here is where I am starting from.
310-1.jpg

1. What is your goal date for BSL?

March or April 2012

2. What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.)

This will be my first time ever being BSL and I’m excited! I have been on my healthy hair journey for 3 years and I’m ready for super long hair (WL). I have to reach BSL before I reach MBL and WL (goal length) so I’m going to do better than my best this time!

3. Whats your current length?

I’m currently “glazing” BSL but I want to be full BSL either before or by my goal date.

4. Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?

100% natural baby!

5. Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)

Since September 2011 I have been taking really good care of my hair through bunning, twists (medium not mini because mini twist cause me to lose too much hair), and heat or thermal training. I wear my hair straightened (silk wrap) for 2 to 3 weeks. During this time I moisturize and seal every night with a shea butter mixture and Indian/Ayurvedic oils (Vatika coconut oil/Amla Gold oil). After that I DC and wear my hair in buns, wet buns, or twist for 1 to 2 weeks until my next straightening session or roller set. During the time that I’m bunning/ or twisting, I’m trying to rehydrate my hair and will cowash and DC often. My hair is shampooed 2x a month (I do it 1x and my stylist does it 1x). I will also get a professional steam treatment each month. I'm due for a very small trim in Jan. (1/2 inch)

I always get my hair straightened or roller set at the salon where they use only Dominican products but I may start flat-ironing/silk wrapping at home every once in a while. My heat training consists of me only using some form of heat on my hair ONCE a month (flat-iron, blow dryer, or hair dryer).

I take vitamins daily: 1 Hairfinity, 2 CVS Hair, Skin, & Nails vitamins, 1 prenatal vitamin (I’m not pregnant…lol), Evening Primrose Oil, and Iron (tx anemia). Henna tx every 2 months. Increased water intake, fruits and veggies, scalp massages (2 to 3 minutes each day) and some exercise.

6. What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc)

I’m going to stay disciplined by continuing my regimen or making changes if needed. I will celebrate some by throwing my own little “BSL Party”…lol. My next goal will be MBL by July 2012. I’m ready for a challenge and I hope everyone reaches their goals during this challenge…God Bless!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• 101_8909.jpg
    101_8909.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 101_8826.jpg
    101_8826.jpg
    496.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
i'm in y'all! a couple of ladies from APL 2012 told me i should join. i'm pretty confident my back layer will be contending for BSL in the latter half of next year, so... here I am :D

December 31, 2012!

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.)

I have never been BSL in my life, so.. first time! Since starting my healthy hair journey, I've realized that my hair is predictable and as long as I make sure to protect it and keep up with it I will retain length!

the longest layer (back) of my hair is CBL. I should make APL in June 2012 and am three inches to BSL from there.

i'm natural :)

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)
i don't regularly use heat on my hair at all. i wash/cowash once a week, use a leave-in, make fat twists, then untwist the next day, bun for a few days, and wear a puff for a few days. then the cycle repeats :)
i just started taking nioxin. i'm giving it a three month trial period so we'll see how it goes.
more water/healthier diet; being more gentle with my hair; being consistent with my regimen/moisturizing and sealing more often.

i will be swanging it like nobody's business lol. once i make it to BSL i will determine whether i want to be any further than that. i don't know how hard/time-consuming it will be to handle... but if i decide to go to MBL, the swanging won't last long :)

i'm excited to journey with you ladies!
starting pic:

hrzxpt.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a goal date. I just want to make BSL in 2012.

This will be my first time ever being APL and BSL.

Whats your current length? I don't know my current length because I'm in the HYH challenge

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning?I'm 22 weeks post relaxer. I haven't decided rather I'm going to totally transition.

I hide my hair in braids. I mosturize daily in braids with Taliah Waajid and Wild Growth Hair Oil. I wash on a weekly basis.

What do you plan to do once you make BSL? (ie. treat urself to a flat iron or blow out and swang it til u get whiplash, wear it out more, stay disciplined and focused on MBL and WL, etc) I plan to wear it out more as my reward.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Please add a starting pic now or at least before Jan 1 2012
Here's my starting pic taken on Dec 30, 2011

Attachments

Last edited:
What is your goal date for BSL? Dec 31st 2012

What brings you to this challenge/whats your length story? (ie. This will be your first time ever being BSL; You were BSL but had a setback, or BC’d or chopped it off for a style and want it back again; You were BSL back in the day and now trying to achieve it again, etc.) I've never been past SL as an adult. If I can make it to BSL in 2012 it will prove to me that I can have long healthy hair.

Whats your current length? Barely APL

Weekly Reggie: Shampoo and DC (with heat at least an hour, will be buying steamer before the challenge starts)
Moisturize and seal daily
seal ends with avocado butter
no heat until I'm BSL
Vitamins: Omega 3,6,9 and women's one a day
Protective style: Wigs and baggied buns under phony ponies

I will wear my hair out for a week (If I make it that long) I may not straighten my hair, I'm not sure on the style but i will be showin off!!

*I will edit this post and add starting pic at the end of the month*

August 2011
I bc in April 2009 and I did a semi bc in Feburary 2010 (I cut the back to match the front for fullness) to chin length and now im grazing APL. I really want to become BSL to prove to my sister that I can grow my hair lon.

Grazing APL

Natural

Whats your reggie/What are you doing to make it to BSL? ( ie. Protective styling, low heat, stretching relaxers, vitamins, etc)[/B]

Co-wash 2x per week
Wash 1x per week
M&S everyday
Trim 2x per year
S&D whenever
Gummi multi-vitamins daily
no heat
no protective styling (its boring and i could still retain length without it)

a small portion of the front left of my hair is heat damage so im going to cut back on heat for 1 year plus. I will do twist outs and braid outs if i want to see some of my length.

Starting pic:

APL4.png

Last edited:
Idk if i shared this but i did attempt to straighten my hair about 2 weeks ago. Big fail...however i seem to be right on track with where i wanted to be this year:yep:

firstflatiron.jpg

firstflatiron2.jpg

Yes i was in the middle of flat ironing when i took these pics.

I must say..even though it wasn't straight like i wanted...it had ridiculous swang! AND when i wash it to revert it....i noticed that i didn't have any SSK's! I kept wondering why my hair felt weird and it dawned on me like 3 days later that it was partly because i didn't have any of those pesky knots!

I joining as this challenge will giv me a push toward my goal of WL

Goal date
July-august

Length story
This wil be my first time as bsl, I was apl and had a major setback wth heat damage which meant i went from APL- just abwt NL. I hav stl a littlr bit of damage in the front on my ends :(

Relaxed/natural
Natural

Current length
Grazing APL hopefully by jan I will reach APL

Reggie
Simple- moisture and more moisture, I'm in a sew-in til jan so that I can shield my hair from the harsh wintr weather, I am making sure that I take all my vits, extra workouts and up my water intake

What do you plan to do once reaching bsl? Once I reach I will give my hair a treat (some tlc or a break) and thn on to the next goal WL :)

Length pic to come at start date of challenge

I'm wearing my hair in a temporary bun for a couple of weeks and keepingmy eyes on the prize of BSL in 2012:yep:.

Back