~*~*Break Out Your Castor Oil - 2010 Edition~*~*

I'm in! I have fine hair that loves to basically stay at the same length so I want to see what happens. This challenge seems easy enough for me to keep up with. I have Tropic Isle raw unfiltered JBCO.

hi LaidBak! i notice you are not too far from me!
where do you find jbco?
the italians are like "jamaican what?!:perplexed
so, i've been ordering from akuawood.co.uk, but it's not jamaican....just regular bco....

thanks!:grin:

Hey there! You know, I just spent the last ten days in Italy (Latina and then Rome). Rome was amazing!
I actually moved to Turkey 3 months ago. I brought 2 bottles of JBCO with me when I moved. But I order from Sams Caribbean Online when I need it.

Regular and long-time castor oil users: Do you use regular shampoo to wash out the "thickness" of the castor oil from your hair or do you use a clarying shampoo?

I normally use the shikakai bar to wash my hair with but i still feel a "film" of oil when i'm done so i have had to get ION clarifying shampoo.

Can i use this shampoo everyweek though without stripping my hair?

I have realised that i can't do co-washes anymore because of the oil.
Thank you for any tips!
p/s: i'm in braids(my own hair)

Regular and long-time castor oil users: Do you use regular shampoo to wash out the "thickness" of the castor oil from your hair or do you use a clarying shampoo?

I normally use the shikakai bar to wash my hair with but i still feel a "film" of oil when i'm done so i have had to get ION clarifying shampoo.

Thank you for any tips!

I apply mine only to my scalp and ends. Then I use a Denman brush to distribute. This gives me a nice thin, evenly distributed layer that washes right off in one lather. But then I reapply it in my DC :-)

Thank you for any tips!

I only hot oil with castor oil and cod liver oil prior to shampooing. Daily application just too heavy for my hair. However, if I leave it in too long it's a chore to shampoo. Therefore, I conditioner wash 1-2 times (or more) with something watery like Tresseme Anti-Breakage or Vitamin E Moisture Rich Conditioner. Anything else will make your hair gummy. Then I follow up with my regular shampoo and conditioner. HTH

I've been using my jbco and I think I like it more then the regular castor oil. It seems less sticky and more moisturizing. It feels like it softens my hair more then then the reg. oil. The real test will be when I have more NG. Im only 4 weeks post right now.

hmmmm, from 3 weeks to 9 weeks to 3 months....this is how i will set my progress checks on my agenda!

This is a great time line!

THANKS BlackGeiesha and SmilingElephant!!!

btw, SmilingElephant, your fotki pictures are FABULOUS!!! you got all that growth in 1 year? i love the bangs, i love the color and trim...heck, i love it all!!!

WELL DONE!!!

Her results are awesome, thanks for sharing!

I love the fact that I can put JBCO in my hair and it will keep its shine for DAYS without me having to apply anything else.

Don't you love it! I wash my hair and moisturize 2x's a week and I do not have to moisturize anytime in between, my hair just doesn't need it.

I agree with the difference with castor oil and JBCO. JBCO does soften and keep my hair moisturized longer. I can't wait to use it all over and on my ends.

BG- you are like the best challenge starter EVER, girl. So involved and plenty of info. I am so excited about this challenge.

I agree with the difference with castor oil and JBCO. JBCO does soften and keep my hair moisturized longer. I can't wait to use it all over and on my ends.

BG- you are like the best challenge starter EVER, girl. So involved and plenty of info. I am so excited about this challenge.

:Blush2: Aww shucks, thank you!

I would love to join please count me in. I will be applying tropical isle JBCO and home health CO mixed 2x a week on freshly washed hair.

Here is my starting pic: Freshly clarified, washed, conditioned, and air dried hair.. CO mixed applied to scalp

And yes I need to even my hair out :nono:

2090ro4.jpg

Last edited:
I apply mine only to my scalp and ends. Then I use a Denman brush to distribute. This gives me a nice thin, evenly distributed layer that washes right off in one lather. But then I reapply it in my DC :-)

I will try this. I tend to apply on hair as well. Thanx

I only hot oil with castor oil and cod liver oil prior to shampooing. Daily application just too heavy for my hair. However, if I leave it in too long it's a chore to shampoo. Therefore, I conditioner wash 1-2 times (or more) with something watery like Tresseme Anti-Breakage or Vitamin E Moisture Rich Conditioner. Anything else will make your hair gummy. Then I follow up with my regular shampoo and conditioner. HTH

So would you suggest i dilute co-wash first, then shampoo? My next wash day is saturday.
Will that make it easier for the oil to wash off instead of just going for the shampoo first and having to lather twice or more?

hmmmm, from 3 weeks to 9 weeks to 3 months....this is how i will set my progress checks on my agenda!

THANKS BlackGeiesha and SmilingElephant!!!

btw, SmilingElephant, your fotki pictures are FABULOUS!!! you got all that growth in 1 year? i love the bangs, i love the color and trim...heck, i love it all!!!

WELL DONE!!!

Her results are awesome, thanks for sharing!

Don't you love it! I wash my hair and moisturize 2x's a week and I do not have to moisturize anytime in between, my hair just doesn't need it.

Thanks ladies!!:blush: Yes i got all my growth in a year:yep:

When i wash my hair i use a regular shampoo and lather twice to get my scalp clean. And i moisturize about 2-3 times a week.

Thanks ladies!!:blush: Yes i got all my growth in a year:yep:

When i wash my hair i use a regular shampoo and lather twice to get my scalp clean. And i moisturize about 2-3 times a week.

well, to do all of that growth in just ne year, i've got to say MY HAT'S OFF TO YOU!!!!:grin:

were you eating particular foods, drinking particular shakes and/or taking particular vitamins during that time?

what would you say was the most influential element to your hair growth?

please forgive me....i don't mean to take us off the subject of Castor Oil...:perplexed (oops)
speaking of which, i'm about to put my castor overnight treatment on which i won't wash off until tomorrow....

in it i put essential oils and a bit of amla&emu oil....:yep:

I am looking forward to this challenge, just received the JBCO from Sheabutter Cottage - which came fast, I got the oil and it came with some little bars of chocolates! Will start seriously applying it tomorrow!

Once I start using the JBCO should I stop using my boundless tresses or will it be okay to use them both?

I mix my JBCO with MN and boundless tresses. My edges are filling in nicely & quick. It has been 4 weeks. I use a few other essential oils in the mix but it works really good for me.

well, to do all of that growth in just ne year, i've got to say MY HAT'S OFF TO YOU!!!!:grin:

were you eating particular foods, drinking particular shakes and/or taking particular vitamins during that time?

what would you say was the most influential element to your hair growth?

please forgive me....i don't mean to take us off the subject of Castor Oil...:perplexed (oops)
speaking of which, i'm about to put my castor overnight treatment on which i won't wash off until tomorrow....

in it i put essential oils and a bit of amla&emu oil....:yep:

I was taking One a day multivitamins....as well as Biotin but i didnt really stay consistent with them. And i picked up my protein intake....chicken, fish...etc. I have YET to try a shake....oh...besides Ensure!! lol:grin:

Please add me to the list. I would like to give this an honest try. My hair is quite fine, and I'm hoping this works. I will be picking up some regular, cold pressed castor oil from the Vitamin Shoppe on Monday.

I'll also be posting my pictures in a few days. I will update when I do.

Ive been using regular cold pressed unrefined castor oil and it seems like my edges are already filling in more, Ive been using it inconsistently for about a month

Maybe find a set time each day to do it.
I am on the vit challenge and everyday while waiting for my computer to start up, I take my tablets.

TO ALL:

does anyone have any tips on how we stay patient and consistent????

Try developing a set routine. I bun my hair every day for work. So as a routine I apply a bit of my JBCO mix to my scalp in the morning before I bun up. At night I check my ends and apply if needed.

Where hair is concerned you really have no choice but to be patient. There is very little you can do to speed up the process, and you can only speed it up so fast. Take enjoyment in the process of caring for your hair, focus more on getting it to a healthy state, and focus less on how long it is.

I will try this. I tend to apply on hair as well. Thanx

So would you suggest i dilute co-wash first, then shampoo? My next wash day is saturday.
Will that make it easier for the oil to wash off instead of just going for the shampoo first and having to lather twice or more?

Yes. Co wash until your hair/scalp no longer feels coated (1-2x). Then shampoo as normal.

:orders: Attention all castor oil challengers and potential challengers, the Castor oil challenge will officially begin on Monday Feb 8. :orders:

If you don’t have you castor oil yet you have 1 more week to walk, run, ride down to your local pharmacy or health food store and pick up a bottle.
:cycle: :auto: :charge:

Remember starting photos are due on Feb 8 - Feb 12 make sure your pic is posted within this time. no excuses! :nono:
-My dog ate my camera :eek:
-I was abducted by aliens on Feb 8 :abducted:
-I was attacked by a gang of pirates and they broke my camera and took my castor oil :axehunter:

You will all be receiving a PM reminding you of the challenge begin date.

Thank You!:grin:

Sorry OT, I'm going to have to drop out of this one. I'm starting the hCG diet in the next few days & you can't touch/eat any oils while you're on the hCG. Good luck to all of the competitors. HHG!

Back