Dyeing the 'Fro

TigerLily

Dyeing the \'Fro

I am thinking about dyeing my afro. I want to dye it red(auburn). I've had auburn hair before when I had a relaxer and it was cool; I just don't know how it'd look with an afro. What do you guys think? Also, what would be the best rinse/semi-permanent dye to use?

Re: Dyeing the \'Fro

I absolutely LOVED the look of my auburn puff. It looked so lush and unreal. Unfortunately I haven't had the best experiences with permanent color and rinses are too messy for me (assuming they actually take in my hair, which they often don't) , so I can't recommend anything
frown.gif

From my experience, creams don't take as well as powders so I would suggest a powder color. The only color I've ever used (cream or powder) is black.

AFashionSlave might know the best brands and techniques that work well for afros.
smile.gif

I have an afro, its dark red with light brown...
I think if you have thick hair, you should use more than one box.

Lets see, I first tryed to dye my hair blonde, but it came out bright orange/yellow, then I used a auburn color to darken it. I used clairol's.. and I think the name of the color was auburn, I had to do it two times..

My hair is dyed a lighter brown, on top of that I have a color rinse by Manic Panic...Passion Red is the color I used.

Thanks, ladies!
smile.gif
I think I will give this a try after I come out of the tree braids! I plan on getting them as soon as I receive the hair I ordered!

Have any of you used powder colors? If so, did you like it work for you?

Hey TigerLily,
For this red Color I used Feria Copper Shimmer (Xcuse the mouth full of beer – I was partying):
HeadingtotheClub-vi.jpg

Here is a pic of the Feria Copper Shimmer:The lighting in the photo of my hair is very different than the feria box so the colors look completely different on this thread, but in person my hair color was actually the same as the color on the box.
coppershimmer-vi.jpg

I know that most folks on these boards hate feria - I think I maybe the only one who likes it. But you may want to check out their color site. The feria part of the site has a nappy vitrual model & you can change her hair color. Here’s the link (click on virtual model)
http://www.lorealparisusa.com/haircolor/products/feria-minisite/frames.asp

I don't know everything about hair color but here is some information that I posted on NP a few months ago. Hopefully, this info will help you out a little bit before you head to the store. Delightfulflame recently colored her hair a red color you may want to pm her for a little more info.

[ QUOTE ]

I only have experience with at home box kit hair color, temporary hair color, and, semi-permanent hair color. I do not have experience covering gray hair. I do not have experience with professional coloring.
Hair Color Terminology -
Temporary Color - Color that lasts 1-3 shampoos
-Semi-Permanent Color - Color that lasts 6-12 shampoos. This type of color only effects the cuticle and does not penetrate the hair shaft. Will not lighten or lift your natural hair color.
-Demi-Permanent Color -Color that lasts 24-26 shampoos. These do penetrate the hair shaft so the color will last longer.
-Permanent Color -Color will not shampoo out, but the color may fade a little over time. Permanent color has two steps: First it lightens your natural hair color, second it deposits color pigments into your cortex. Permanent color does penetrate the hair shaft. (There are some permanent hair colors that do not lift your hair. They only deposit hair color that cannot be removed. Usually these types of perm color are used on light blondes.)
-Developer-Developer is peroxide or a mild bleach. It opens up your cuticle like the open gills on a fish.
-Tones -a tone is a base color. Warm or cool tones. For instance red can have cool tones of blue or warm tones of orange.
-Foiling -Foiling is used to keep the hair color moist. Foiling keeps the hair color from getting onto other strands in your hair. Foiling also keeps the hair color from touching your scalp. The heat from your scalp can make your hair color come out a different shade from what you originally planned..
-Level-There are 10 levels. 1 is black. 10 is pale yellow blonde. Levels are referring to your natural hair color.
- Package Level- Level 1 temporary, Level 2 is semi or demi, Level 3 is permanent. These are the levels that are on the out side of your box color package.
-Lift-Lift is another word for lighten.
-Metallic dyes- Some hair color contains tiny almost microscopic pieces of metalic minerals. These minerals help your hair to reflect light. Some metallics can damage hair by leaving tiny tears in your cuticle.
-Bleach -A very strong lightning agent. It removes all color pigment from your hair.
-Double Process-.Doing two chemical services on your hair. If you relax and use permanent color. If you bleach and use permanent color. I have never done a double process at home. I think a professional should only do them.
-Shade-The color that is on your hair color box.
-Filler - A filler is a serious protein reconstructer. It fills in the missing holes of protein that color takes away.

How permanent box hair color works?
Permanent hair color works in two steps. First it lightens your hair using Hydrogen peroxide or H202, then it deposits color using ammonia. Usually you have to mix the two. The Developer (Peroxide) is usually white. The ammonia is usually mixed with the color.

Hydrogen Peroxide oxidizes your hair and removes natural color, protein and sulfur from your hair shaft.

Ammonia is alkaline and it separates your cuticle. Ammonia opens your hair up like the open gills of a fish. After your hair shaft is opened up the color is deposited underneath your cuticle. The color then bonds to your hair and gives you a new hair color.

Sometimes perm color will loosen away some of your napps, sometimes perm color will make your hair seem nappier.

Maintenance
-Conditioning - Since color separates your cuticle you have to deep condition regularly to keep that cuticle lying down.
-Color depositing Shampoos and conditioners.- These products are used to help maintain your color as it fades with shampoo, chlorine or the sun.
-Mild Shampoo - After you color it does not take much to clarify your hair. Clarifying shampoos will take out some of your hair color. Please use mild shampoo formulas.
-Protein reconstructer_ I use a protein reconstructer on my hair once every 6-8 weeks after I use perm color. It helps to keep my hair from breaking off. If your hair won't accept or lift color it is usually because your hair is missing protein.

Tips
-Is your hair in good condition?- Make sure that your hair is in good condition before you use perm color
-Buy enough color to cover your hair- Do not be afraid to buy two bottles of color for your first application.
--Only retouch your roots unless you are changing your permanent color again - Do not re-apply hair color to your entire head while the developer is fresh.
-Covering your head while you color - Some people use a plastic cap while the color is on their hair. This is to be done at your own risk. The heat from your scalp may cause your roots to come out brighter than the rest of your hair.
--Box color is not true color - Those little swatches of hair that you see on the shelves are not examples of what that hair will look like on your head. Those hair samples are originally white hair that is colored over with the color that is on the box.
-To get best color results - Mix your color quickly and apply ASAP to hair. This way the developer is at it's strongest. Most box color has developer that only lasts about 15-25 minutes. After the time allowed you are no longer lifting color. You are only depositing it.
--I never use permanent blue or black hair color. I don't think that it is necessary. Blue and black are hard to remove. Why use permanent if you can use a temp, semi or demi color.
--If you use a temp, semi, or demi color on black hair it will not show up. Think of it like using a red marker on black paper. You can't see it. You may be able to see it in direct sunlight, but that is it. Your black hair has to be lightened a little to deposit the new shade.

Did you know?
-Red hair is the hardest color to keep from fading.
-Blues, blacks, and purples are the colors that fade the least.
-After you color the first time your hair will be very porous. It will easily adsorb temporary color. Temporary color may be hard to remove with shampoo if applied too soon after a perm color.
-Perm Hair color will seep into your scalp. This is why most doctors recommend that perm color not be used during the first trimester of pregnancy.

<font color="red"> I do not know everything about color. I am not a professional. I only know this information because I have been dying my hair for years. If there are some professionals on this board who think I’m wrong PLEASE feel free to correct me </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Back