Black women confront Chris Rock on Oprah Today

one thing i'm not feeling is that NO one is talking about the fact that black women DOOOOO have long hair.

A large part of me agrees with this. Though I think the reason it's not being brought up is because as a general consensus you don't see it. Or when you do, most assume it's a weave anyways. :/

To be completely honest, there are a ton of things we can sit here and nitpick, fuss, and whine about, but in the end I still think the biggest goal was achieved. This movie indeed got us to talk about the issues. Those of us who are on hair boards have more knowledge about this because we have SEEN it. However, how many of the entire population do we represent? I think we'd be lucky to say we represent 2-5%. With that aspect, I think some of us can appreciate what the movie's done.

THIS:
Ummm, because that wouldn't be as entertaining. He's a comedian. There was an interview of him on youtube, and he kept on making jokes about how
they should direct the serious stuff to Soledad O'brien. He's a comedian not a scholar of african american hair.

Yes, PLEASE someone post this. I hate having to miss all of these shows.

NY is on another level in the hair game. I saw so many heads of healthy natural hair. I really think in about 10 years this weave/fake hair game will have died out. It really only picked up in the 90s. It's an era just like anything else and I think its predominance will past. I know it will have for me. Occasionally, I'll put some braids in but not all year long.

Ummm, because that wouldn't be as entertaining. He's a comedian. There was an interview of him on youtube, and he kept on making jokes about how
they should direct the serious stuff to Soledad O'brien. He's a comedian not a scholar of african american hair.

When I was in ireland. There was the store called Penny's which is basically a ridiculously cheap department store that everyone goes to. And downstairs near the purses and the belts was a fake hair section, they had extensions and clip ons and I think there was some fake ponies. I was like omg.! Then sometimes my roommates who were all Irish would leave their fake hair on the table. GHETTO! I walked in one day and it smelled like hair salon, you know that smell. I had no idea they were into the fake hair game.

They were flat ironing that fake hair. :lachen:

We don't suffer from a lack of quality products and salons. Some people are just lazy about hair care.

I agree ....if the presence or lack of quality products was the issue then all women having access should have nice hair and vice versa. Besides, everyone has or should have access to internet ordering.

One thing that sticks out here is how segregated so many folks are who don't know either Whites or Asian people on an intimate basis. If you've been in some Asian heads, you'll know that the hair is hardly the same as White hair....it's far coarser, heavier, and thicker and would look strange on their heads untreated. Those "extensions" WW buy are treated, just like the more natural textured ones marketed to Blacks.

The main diff between WW w/ weaves and Blacks is they simply spend more money for better hair and a better install. They usually have them maintained better too. Many of them dye the tracks to blend w/ their hair color better. In short, just because you can't tell they are wearing a weave doesn't mean they aren't....they simply get better "extensions" and care for them to the max.

Last edited:
Here's the problem as I see it. In any given black neighborhood, you will find 20 weave wearers (maybe more) to every Sylver2 you find so there can't be a balanced reality based conversation. I wish it were otherwise but it's just not.

I think that the main difficulty here is that all of us are from different regions of the earth and/or the US and what is the "norm" varies according to the city/region (whether or not we're willing to face this).

What is the norm to someone in one area is not necessarily the norm for another person living in another area. However, as does the rest of society, we address our own experiences with sweeping statements and stereotypes (some here have implied that all Black women have kinky hair...I've seen plenty with wavy hair, straight hair, and the like, as well as coily/kinky sisters).

Where weaves are an overwhelming majority in one area, where I'm from, natural hair is crazy common, as is "real hair" that is straightened...and both of these "groups" often have long hair that dwarfs my own (I can only speak for my area).

However, I do understand that for many sisters on this board, their experience is quite different.

Yet again, a one-dimensional, stereotypical view of Black women is being proposed as the "comedic gospel" of the Black experience.

One thing that sticks out here is how segregated so many folks are who don't know either Whites or Asian people on an intimate basis. If you've been in some Asian heads, you'll know that the hair is hardly the same as White hair....it's far coarser, heavier, and thicker and would look strange on their heads untreated. Those "extensions" WW buy are treated, just like the more natural textured ones marketed to Blacks.

YES!!! I was thinking to myself earlier...I just didn't know how to articulate it. Thanks for pointing this out.

You're right. Statistically worldwide, Caucasians support the largest percentage of the world's extension supporting market. WORLDWIDE. Especially in Europe.

Do you have any stats for this? There is a lot of fake hair all over the continent of Africa.

He filmed what he knows. He picked up his camera, did the work and made the film he wanted to make. I'm not mad at his effort. If you have in mind the film you want to see, it may be time to do the Tyler Perry hustle and go out there and make a better film. You can't expect him to present a fair (to you) and balanced (to you) 2 hour film that addresses every side of the coin.

But isn't it his job as someone doing a documentary to present more than what he knew when he first decided to do the project? I wish I would turn in my dissertation with what I knew when I first started and give it to my professors like "well, it's what I know" *kanyeshrug* :lachen: But I guess Chris is no serious researcher. But I worry that people will view this movie as though it is up to real researcher standards.

I, too, would wish that he would explore more than fake hair and relaxed hair. If 70% of AAs relax their hair, what of the other 30%? They aren't the majority, but if they are 30% of the group you are studying, couldn't they warrant at least 10% of your documentary time? Maybe "documentary" is the wrong word for this. And maybe I'm being unfairly harsh, since other documentaries (Michael Moore's for examples) aren't necessarily balanced.

Anyway, I do plan to see it because I do want to support even his attempt to make a movie about us, though his efforts may not live up to my scientific stadards. :giggle: I am concerned that he's using black women as something for other people to laugh at, though.

btw, I thought there was a difference between extensions and weaves. As far as I'm concerned, I've never worn a weave in my life. I've had braided extensions, though.

Just about every?

Must be a regional thing: you will find countless of long, healthy haired, Black women rocking their own hair Brooklyn, NY.

Shout out to my long haired sistahs up in Canarsie!

YES, girl, I'm from NY (born and raised) and for me, what you mentioned above (long, healthy haired Black women rocking their own hair) is the norm.

This is further proof that we really have way too many sweeping statements made about us as Black women (sometimes, we even do it to ourselves).

I used to get my hair done in Canarsie, too, at Lopez Beauty. 10 or 20 dollars for a fly wrap and set...loved it!

Do you have any stats for this? There is a lot of fake hair all over the continent of Africa.

But isn't it his job as someone doing a documentary to present more than what he knew when he first decided to do the project? I wish I would turn in my dissertation with what I knew when I first started and give it to my professors like "well, it's what I know" *kanyeshrug* :lachen: But I guess Chris is no serious researcher. But I worry that people will view this movie as though it is up to real researcher standards.

I, too, would wish that he would explore more than fake hair and relaxed hair. If 70% of AAs relax their hair, what of the other 30%? They aren't the majority, but if they are 30% of the group you are studying, couldn't they warrant at least 10% of your documentary time? Maybe "documentary" is the wrong word for this. And maybe I'm being unfairly harsh, since other documentaries (Michael Moore's for examples) aren't necessarily balanced.

Anyway, I do plan to see it because I do want to support even his attempt to make a movie about us, though his efforts may not live up to my scientific stadards. :giggle: I am concerned that he's using black women as something for other people to laugh at, though.

btw, I thought there was a difference between extensions and weaves. As far as I'm concerned, I've never worn a weave in my life. I've had braided extensions, though.

The point was that he made the film that he wanted to make. I probably shouldn't have said he filmed what he knew, because he stated that before he started doing his research, he didn't know what was going on in India about the fake hair market, etc. So his film wasn't without research. He picked the aspects that were interesting/funny/worth looking at to him and he made the film he wanted to make.

Just like if you do a research paper, you pick an aspect of the topic that you wish to go in depth about. You can make a sloppy paper that talks about every aspect of matter, for instance, or you can hone in on a few aspects and make a more concise, coherent paper. And I believe folks are giving him a good grade on that, at least. :giggle:

The point was that he made the film that he wanted to make. I probably shouldn't have said he filmed what he knew, because he stated that before he started doing his research, he didn't know what was going on in India about the fake hair market, etc. So his film wasn't without research. He picked the aspects that were interesting/funny/worth looking at to him and he made the film he wanted to make.

Just like if you do a research paper, you pick an aspect of the topic that you wish to go in depth about. You can make a sloppy paper that talks about every aspect of matter, for instance, or you can hone in on a few aspects and make a more concise, coherent paper. And I believe folks are giving him a good grade on that, at least. :giggle:

Thank you. Could you imagine if he put every single aspect of Black hair in? It would be a four part miniseries. People would not being watch that.

I don't know if this is true or not but my girlfriend just told me about what Chris is going to bring up in part 2. If he does all hell is going to break loose in the LHCF community here.:lachen:

Thank you. Could you imagine if he put every single aspect of Black hair in? It would be a four part miniseries. People would not being watch that.

Exactly. Part 1 would have to go in depth about our ancestors in Africa. Parts 2 & 3 would require an in-depth discussion about slavery and Jim Crow. (And you know how black folks feel about those "slavery movies" :rolleyes:). And then you would finally get around to hair texture and relaxers and Sylver2 after half the race is tuned out already. :lachen:

Watching now.
:lol: @ this woman who wrote in that said YT women's hair is basically an advantage and it's why they get our men.

My goodness. I didn't know it went there..

well I go "Nappy hair" and I go one of the yt women's man LOL
Shirley was serious
I fell out when he said she need a man

Watching now.
:lol: @ this woman who wrote in that said YT women's hair is basically an advantage and it's why they get our men.

That is quite true. If he meant to do a project on weaves and relaxers, he sure did do it! (I assume, haven't seen it yet). If he meant to do one on "black hair in America", well, I don't know. I'd have to see it. Just like if I write my dissertation about double object constructions, even though I focus on benefactive applicatives, it would be remiss of me to not even mention that the language allows causative and locative double object constructions, even though I'm not going to focus on them. :look: Anyway, I'm open to hearing what he has to say, and I will go see it.

I don't know if this is true or not but my girlfriend just told me about what Chris is going to bring up in part 2. If he does all hell is going to break loose in the LHCF community here.:lachen:

Watching now.

I'm so mad I'm missing this :blush: For real? I love how people have attributed hair (usually straight) to being what makes a woman a woman not , oh, say having breasts and the ole baby canal. Unfotunately,though, there might be some truth to that. Because nothing else could explain some of the handsome black men I've seen with some of the plainest, pilgrimieest looking faces.

Last edited:
I really don't get the big deal. I don't know why these women are mad at Chris for telling our "secret".

I'm with Chris on this one. Stop caring about what white women think of you.

I, too, would wish that he would explore more than fake hair and relaxed hair. If 70% of AAs relax their hair, what of the other 30%? They aren't the majority, but if they are 30% of the group you are studying, couldn't they warrant at least 10% of your documentary time? Maybe "documentary" is the wrong word for this.

I didn't want to 'give away' parts of the movie before folks got a chance to see it, but there is a short segment where he interviews 4 college students 1 natural 3-relaxed, 2 wearing their own hair only and 2 with weaves. It is a rather blunt no holds barred discussion, but it is also brief.

I'm not necessarily talking to you M. but this whole discussion reminded me of when the Davinci Code came out and folks refused to see it but still wanted to comment on how horrible it was.

well i just moved from Detroit and women walking around with out at least one track is not the nor even if they have a super short cut best believe they got at least one track glued up in there. Moving the Sc i was so impressed with the amount of hair natural and relaxed that is actually full and healthy!

Interesting. I've lived in the Detroit area almost my whole life and I see a LOT of long pretty healthy hair that's not weaved, including my own. But there is a lot of weave in the D. Guess it's all in where you are.

I'm off Chris Rock and this whole "Good Hair" thing because I can't take him seriously. I don't care if Oprah is trying to lend his documentary some credibility, he's just not the source I'd use for this issue. *shrugs*

chris rock is being a real bull artist and oprah is going for the okey doke. i don't like the letter that was chosen and how she chose to read it. i wish they could've gotten a more articulate audience member to speak but I applaud the young lady for her conviction.

Last edited by a moderator:
one thing i'm not feeling is that NO one is talking about the fact that black women DOOOOO have long hair.

ITA!!!!!! Even with Oprah. He didn't beleive it was her hair until he did multiple weave checks. It's almost reinforcing the ignorance.

When I was in ireland. There was the store called Penny's which is basically a ridiculously cheap department store that everyone goes to. And downstairs near the purses and the belts was a fake hair section, they had extensions and clip ons and I think there wese some fake ponies. I was like omg.! Then sometimes my roommates who were all Irish would leave their fake hair on the table. GHETTO! I walked in one day and it smelled like hair salon, you know that smell. I had no idea they were into the fake hair game.

I love you for posting this! Fascinating and entertaining. So many times, I find that many of us in the U.S. have such a limited view of the world (due to geographic distance; education system, etc). "White people" here are NOT exactly like European people in other parts of the world. Ditto African-ancestry folks. I was lucky enough to travel and see this stuff for myself because of my family abroad, but it's fun to read about here, too!

Back