Black women confront Chris Rock on Oprah Today

chris rock is being a real bull artist and oprah is going for the okey doke. i don't like the letter that was chosen and how she chose to read it. i wish they could've gotten a more articulate audience member to speak but I applaud the young lady for her conviction.

Thank you, and THANK YOU.

ITA!!!!!! Even with Oprah. He didn't beleive it was her hair until he did multiple weave checks. It's almost reinforcing the ignorance.

Why more of us are not offended by that *** is beyond me. I'm praying that one day more sisters will start recognizing this sort of passive deprecation...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been reading a lot of commentary on about this doc and I think the patriarchal argument and BM's influence on BW's hair decisions is a much better angle to discuss Rock's credibility in making this film than the "3 of us have long hair and white women wear weave to argument" which is definitely straw man and not based in reality.

I don't know if this is true or not but my girlfriend just told me about what Chris is going to bring up in part 2. If he does all hell is going to break loose in the LHCF community here.:lachen:

I don't know if this is true or not but in part 2, he said he is going to bring up that black women need to get over the long hair thing because it not plausible. It's genetics so get over it. I hope this isn't true.

I don't think this "documentary" was meant to be ground breaking or anything. I think it was meant as a comedy. I don't think his point was to educate america on black women and our hair. He's a comedian. That's what he does. I'm not sure why everyone is taking this so seriously. Everyone has there own opinion and personally I have lived in many states and majority of the time I was one of the few women who didn't wear a weave. Many women do it wether they have hair or not and I don't think anything is wrong with it. We really shouldn't care what white women think. Many white women are wearing weaves today to creat body and length. It's just not that serious. I love Chris Rock

I love you for posting this! Fascinating and entertaining. So many times, I find that many of us in the U.S. have such a limited view of the world (due to geographic distance; education system, etc). "White people" here are NOT exactly like European people in other parts of the world. Ditto African-ancestry folks.

I nearly leapt out of my chair when I read this. Thank you for saying this...it's true, we are truly limited by our borders (both domestic and international) and we tend to think what is our own "truth" must also be the case for everyone else. (I think we tend to do this as human beings.)

When I tell people in the US (non-Whites) that our European friends are not like Whites in the US, they seem to have a really difficult time accepting that...it's strange. However, my European friends are quick to point out that they're not at all the same, lol, and their feathers would be completely ruffled if we tried to group them with our vanilla counterparts in the US.

It's interesting.

I don't know if this is true or not but in part 2, he said he is going to bring up that black women need to get over the long hair thing because it not plausible. It's genetics so get over it. I hope this isn't true.

I almost admire him for his drive...he's certainly willing to tap dance for that money...no words.

I nearly leapt out of my chair when I read this. Thank you for saying this...it's true, we are truly limited by our borders (both domestic and international) and we tend to think what is our own "truth" must also be the case for everyone else. (I think we tend to do this as human beings.)

When I tell people in the US (non-Whites) that our European friends are not like Whites in the US, they seem to have a really difficult time accepting that...it's strange. However, my European friends are quick to point out that they're not at all the same, lol, and their feathers would be completely ruffled if we tried to group them with our vanilla counterparts in the US.

It's interesting.

Omg, I found this to be true. Sometimes I was under the impression that they thought that yt americans were a completely different race.

The whole it's a secret sentiment is such BS. The women who couldn't believe that it was Oprah's hair need to step outside of their box. Bottome line is, Chris Rock put relaxers and weaves on blast. My concern centers around the stereotyping that goes on in the movie trailer. I'm not interested in being grouped with folks whose hair concerns have nothing to do with me. Whether Oprah agree's or not their is a whole host of white people who will think that only Oprah can have long hair because of $$. I would have liked Oprah to bring on some blk women with hair below their shoulders, sweeping their brastraps.

I would assume those doing the protective styling with weaves or wigs challenge must feel like crap upon reading this thread

Ive been reading a lot of commentary on about this doc and I think the patriarchal argument and BM's influence on BW's hair decisions is a much better angle to discuss Rock's credibility in making this film than the "3 of us have long hair and white women wear weave to argument" which is definitely straw man and not based in reality.

That has been brought up in some of the threads, too. But it's likely that he thinks BM do not have any real influence on BW's hair decisions. From the interview I saw, he thinks black women don't care much BM think, and also that BM don't care about hair at all. He said this immediately after damn near having a heart attack and wetting himself over Oprah's hair.

Watching now.
:lol: @ this woman who wrote in that said YT women's hair is basically an advantage and it's why they get our men.

My goodness. I didn't know it went there..

OMG Jesus take the wheel (yeah I'm stealing Bossip little cacthphrase)
Someone is deluded :nuts:

I don't know why the people from NY are acting like they don't see at least 2-3 weaved heads for every long natural out there. Not to mention the short micro ponies, the phony pony unknowns, the apl but thinned out from brushing against their clothing relaxed heads, the LF divas, the regular ol wig wearing women, the kool aid red mixed with 1b microbraids and whatnot.

I feel like we're not even on the same subway system if you state otherwise.

Yes, even in NYC. and the weaves here that are on point are very, very good. The rest... *shrug*

I see plenty of huge curly fro'd, bantu knotted out, dreads down to there, simple high ponytail, protective styling, wild and free, bumped and set natural/relaxed heads out there too, don't get me wrong. You'd just have blinders on NOT to notice the other heads out there.

That has been brought up in some of the threads, too. But it's likely that he thinks BM do not have any real influence on BW's hair decisions. From the interview I saw, he thinks black women don't care much BM think, and also that BM don't care about hair at all. He said this immediately after damn near having a heart attack and wetting himself over Oprah's hair.

He hopped outta his seat and weave checked her three times exclaiming "WOW" "Thats been all you all these years!?!?! That Stedman is a lucky man!!!" but no, BM don't care about us havin long har thats our own:rolleyes:....... let's keep it 100% Chris

I hope not or some of Nikos' cousin may need to have a family reunion on either Oprah or Tyra's show but let's just hope it dosen't have to come to that

I was embarassed over the first letter that Oprah read trying to sound more ethnic to get the point across. But what was embarassing was the fact that the writer said that white women had an advantage over black women because of the hair especially with the black men who coveted in her words "silky hair", now for Oprah to even allow herself to read such a letter was really a shock because it gives the impression that all black women feel this way.

Second that the black women in the audience did not believe it was Oprah's hair and Oprah let them do a weave check during the commercials. Will people now feel it's okay to demand to do weave checks? And shame on the black women, it came off very poorly.

Chris Rock saying that he has never been a degrader of women. Maybe he has changed but in 1991, that comedy act was mostly about black women (focusing on their weight and hair), so he can try and re-package himself all he wants. I was in the audience and I walked out then and I usually find most things silly and funny.

When asked by the black women about her hair, Oprah said it was because she has a hairdresser. I mean come-on are black women incapable of growing long hair without a hairdresser?

Oprah these days is just winging her shows now, not as prepared as she used to be.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I love how they spin this to make this look like it's "our" issue or "our" secret. As if no one else in any other population group frequents hair weaves/wigs.

I find the entire thing strange. I won't be watching this film, at all. As soon as he made that idiotic statement (on Oprah) about how Black men don't care about our hair, I immediately realized I need to tune this dude out. Idiocy.

Irony I saw two WW in the BSS yesterday checking out wigs meanwhile I'm buying supplies for my natural tresses I automatically thought about LHCF. Anyways when I lived in GA I had quite a few white friends buying weave. I've never been in a situation where anybody has really asked me about weave. I honestly feel a bit uncomfortable when people ask me how does their weave look because I don't personally believe in it. (if you wear it that's your business not hating don't care, it's just not meant for me).

This I am offended by. When I was younger during the era of dookie braids and Poetic Justice people thought my box braids were extensions and they constantly got pulled by boys and girls. I understand what Chris was trying to do but I think he fell short to some degree. There is a ginormous amount of AA women with long healthy scalp grown hair natural and relaxed. I know because I stalk their fotkis. In this case I feel he is perpetuating a stereotype that if you brown your hair is not growing, you lucky if it gets past the shoulders.

As far as weaves and hair styles I believe for some women a nice style equals healthy hair. As long as your hair looks good you've succeeded. In my experience I have seen both women in the south and the north with real long hair. I do see more weaving outside of NY and that could just be attributed to a regional thing related to style I don't know. But I do see a lot of tracks in heads and on sidewalks. I would however like everybody to have healthy hair weather it's 2inches or 22 inches just be healthy.

I am going to see this movie to see for myself. It's all in the marketing. The messed up parts probably became the commercials while it is a documentary it is being distributed by a major company who wants their money back and are not concerned about the bigger agenda at hand. As I said in a previous thread for many AA it is no laughing matter but I believe he is using comedy as a way to break the ice on something deeper. Regardless of what some people may want to believe hair straightening to some degree has some negative history associated with it dating far back in history. For that reason I don't use the word nappy because if we were really over that we wouldn't be using words like nappy and brillo to describe our hair in a negative connotation. (This obviously isn't everybody).

I unfortunately missed both shows (I still don't know what channel and time Oprah comes on in Philly). But I think it's important to see what C.R. said about me and my counterparts. And after I see it I definitely plan on telling him where he went wrong and what he did right.

Last edited:
I don't know why the people from NY are acting like they don't see at least 2-3 weaved heads for every long natural out there. Not to mention the short micro ponies, the phony pony unknowns, the apl but thinned out from brushing against their clothing relaxed heads, the LF divas, the regular ol wig wearing women, the kool aid red mixed with 1b microbraids and whatnot.

I feel like we're not even on the same subway system if you state otherwise.

Yes, even in NYC. and the weaves here that are on point are very, very good. The rest... *shrug*

I see plenty of huge curly fro'd, bantu knotted out, dreads down to there, simple high ponytail, protective styling, wild and free, bumped and set natural/relaxed heads out there too, don't get me wrong. You'd just have blinders on NOT to notice the other heads out there.
Thank you! Between this thread and the other one about men not caring about hair, I was wondering if I was in a totally different Brooklyn than other ladies. While I see long, healthy hair (both relaxed and natural), I also see the complete opposite. And I see the opposite more often than anything else.

I don't think C.R. was intending the movie to have received such a serious reaction. And worse, he is not able to have a discourse on the topic of black hair because he isn't able to. All he can do is crack jokes. At least someone to make a balanced remark would be helpful but if even Oprah can't do that except to say, "Now please do not go up to black women and ask them if their hair is a weave?" that's like her show this week on schizophrenia I mean that was disappointing not at all from a medical perspective or trying to educate people just trying to get ratings on the 7 year old girl with the disease.

Best,
Almond Eyes

So they couldn't leave well enough alone with last weeks show? And did I miss them announcing several more parts on this subject? Because I don't recall.

For every step forward gotta take two back, and what sounds like went on in this show is a prime example.

This makes me wish Oprah or heck ANYONE on national t.v. would discover and do a feature on LHCF and black women who have grown their real hair long, on their own and without the help of a salon.

So they couldn't leave well enough alone with last weeks show? And did I miss them announcing several more parts on this subject? Because I don't recall.

For every step forward gotta take two back, and what sounds like went on in this show is a prime example.

This makes me wish Oprah or heck ANYONE on national t.v. would discover and do a feature on LHCF and black women who have grown their real hair long, on their own and without the help of a salon.

When asked by the black women about her hair, Oprah said it was because she has a hairdresser. I mean come-on are black women incapable of growing long hair without a hairdresser?

Can we get a letter going and a pile of pictures to send to Oprah. I am so serious I will write the letter myself.

:look: It seems like most people on the board would strongly prefer that NOT to happen, though. :ohwell:

It's odd, the dichotomy - one thread complaining about peoples myopic perceptions of black womens hair, and another thread at the same time in where people are hoping with all their hope that no-one 'exposes' this board, because then it'll increase the 'supply' of naturally long-haired black women, and thus devalue long hair on black women, as a whole. :ohwell:

ETA: Interesting. I was going to link to that thread, but it's gone. Damn, I wonder what popped off in there? Umph.

I think a lot of people are invested - both for their own bragging rights, and in the wider world, in a purely financial sense - in insuring that black women continue to believe and propagate the lies surrounding the potential of our hair.

We spend a lot of money trying to have long hair. A lot. No one likes to see their money source dried up, and I can see Dark & Lovely, Pink Oil, and all them others boycotting (or at least yanking ad revenue) from any place that implied they were a contributor to the dreadful overall state of black women's hair.
And considering how most black media is largely supported by them and their ilk - yeah, we gonna need an indie sista to do that film.

Last edited:
It's odd, the dichotomy - one thread complaining about peoples myopic perceptions of black womens hair, and another thread at the same time in where people are hoping with all their hope that no-one 'exposes' this board, because then it'll increase the 'supply' of naturally long-haired black women, and thus devalue long hair on black women, as a whole. :ohwell:

Dang, goes to show how ignorant I am... I assumed people didn't want the board "exposed" because they didn't want the site on blast over some of the "weird" growth aid challenges we have here (Monistat, for example). :look:

Can we get a letter going and a pile of pictures to send to Oprah. I am so serious I will write the letter myself.

Yep, that would be great! :yep: Complete with fotki links and mini write-ups on regimens pointing out lengths relaxed and natural achieved outside of the salon. I'm not too fond of Tyra, but we should send it to her AND Wendy. Somehow between the three of them I feel Wendy would be the one to really bite into it.

Something has to be done, after discovering LHCF this mass perpetual miseducation of afro textured hair is especially aggravating.

Dang, goes to show how ignorant I am... I assumed people didn't want the board "exposed" because they didn't want the site on blast over some of the "weird" growth aid challenges we have here (Monistat, for example). :look:

:lachen: Oh, I'm sure that's a reason too - but the one I mentioned was one that really stuck in my mind as an ............ interesting perspective. :perplexed A perfect example of battling over resources that are perceived to be scant among minorities.

I don't think not wanting other women to have long hair is the reason for fearing "exposure."

People, whether they should be or not, are quite open on a seemingly private forum. Increased traffic = increased exposure = people racing to delete their "secrets."

I don't think not wanting other women to have long hair is the reason for fearing "exposure."

People, whether they should be or not, are quite open on a seemingly private forum. Increased traffic = increased exposure = people racing to delete their "secrets."

:look:

I'm not going to comment on the foolishness of believing this place is private. :lachen: In my head, that's not even a valid reason, because it's based on a fallacy. :lol:

The fact that grown (or semigrown) women post things on a PAY TO VIEW website and think it's somehow 'sheltered/private/just among friends' utterly and completely blows my mind. Utterly and completely.

People should be deleting their secrets, to be honest, because they ain't secret - and if you are just now realizing you put yourself out there in ways you didn't intend for the entire 6.50 owning world to see - yeah, clearing up your messiness might be wise. :look:

I guess that for some people who have not seen a Black women with her own, long hair it may be hard to believe that Black women can have long hair without weave? I don't recall seeing a lot of Black women with long hair on t.v. or movies when I was growing up.

I may be dating myself but the longest hair that I recall seeing on a Black woman on t.v. that was not weaved in was Lark Voorhies.

Personally, my BFF since I was 5 years old has always had long hair, BSL usually. I've seen Black women with long hair all of my life. My mom & sister both have short, Halle Berry cuts but for the most part my aunts, grandmas & cousins kept their hair at SL - BSL length. Even DH's sister, famale cousins & aunts keep their hair at APL or longer.

Thanks for bringing this up, and it's not too odd. I feel it's normal for every black woman who has discovered how to grow her afro textured hair long and wants to shout it to the rooftops there is one who wants to keep it a secret because it makes her feel special amongst women who do not have the information or are too lazy to apply the information to their hair care practices.

This show, as well as Chris maybe making a statement that it's impossible for a woman of color to have WSL hair will keep black women who have real long hair IRL getting reactions from men like Chris gave to Oprah, and from women like the ones in the audience who weave checked her.

IRL, I'm considered to have long hair (I have hair anorexia from being on LHCF) and I'll be honest, the attention is nice. I know I put work into getting it this way and it's nice when it's acknowledged. But the aggravation of the mass miseducation is alot stronger than me feeling 'special'. I'd love for us who are in the know to revolutionize the big business that is black women and our hair, and I'd love to see what WE contribute to the weave industry and those specially formulated for women of hair care products that really don't do any good to dwindle, even if it's just a little. To me I'd get more satisfaction out of it than being able to swing my real hair and get 'ooh's & aah's' because I'm black.

:look: It seems like most people on the board would strongly prefer that NOT to happen, though. :ohwell:

ETA: Interesting. I was going to link to that thread, but it's gone. Damn, I wonder what popped off in there? Umph.

I think a lot of people are invested - both for their own bragging rights, and in the wider world, in a purely financial sense - in insuring that black women continue to believe and propagate the lies surrounding the potential of our hair.

We spend a lot of money trying to have long hair. A lot. No one likes to see their money source dried up, and I can see Dark & Lovely, Pink Oil, and all them others boycotting (or at least yanking ad revenue) from any place that implied they were a contributor to the dreadful overall state of black women's hair.
And considering how most black media is largely supported by them and their ilk - yeah, we gonna need an indie sista to do that film.

Oprah has some amazing power and impact in this world. She could have spent literally 15 seconds on this show with a black woman with BSL hair, and that would have opened minds among black women all over the country, if not the world. Just 15 seconds showing a sista's hair, weaveless, and her briefly saying "I wash it twice a week and use a deep conditioner each time. Then I put it on rollers and sit under the dryer, and this is the result."

That brief little window into healthy hair care could have made thousands of women go on a search for thier own healthy hair journey. It breaks my heart that she didn't take that opportunity. With great power comes great responsibility.

Back