Black women confront Chris Rock on Oprah Today

:yep: You know I've always said this too! Although I am nigerian and my so is nigerian when I first met him he swore up and down that I had an asian ancestor, to the point of asking my mother about the family tree etc. my brother gets asked if he is half japanese all the time as well. Not to be funny or offensive to anyone who is mixed with other races but I always say grade A Nigerian! This is because I felt those comments were an effort to take away from me or from other africans by implying something considered beautiful in me MUST have been contributed by another race (not that race really means much). The fact is we (my family) can trace our family tree back several hundred years back and there is nary an asian person to be found...if early human originated in africa does it not stand to reason that an african person might potentially express any phenotype you might find on another continent? slanted eyes do not belong only to asians, and a nose with a more prominent bridge is not necessarily euro.

complete aside: hmm not to say that if you are of mixed race you should deny that either, it is part of who you are, to deny one part of you in an effort to profess your "blackness" to other's is imo completely disrespectful to those whose feelings should be more important to you, your family. to feel threatened when someone says my dad is middle eastern and my mother black speaks more of one's own feelings of perceived inferiority than anything else. after all the simple statement of racial makeup should not connote anything but the fact of the statement.

OMG same here, a lot of people thought I was half/quarter east or south east asian and maybe even indo trinidadian and I am fully Nigieran Yoruba girl. My friend who happens to be Black and Japanese thought that too.It was even put down on my high school details about my ethnicity Black/Asian, you can check my fotki I don't think I looked mixed LOL.

Also what you were saying about the slanted eyes thing there is a tribe somewhere around south west africa that has slanted eyes, but i keep forgetting the name.

Last edited:
OMG same here, a lot of people thought I was half/quarter east or south east asian and maybe even indo trinidadian and I am fully Nigieran Yoruba girl. My friend who happens to be Black and Japanese thought that too.It was even put down on my high school details about my ethnicity Black/Asian, you can check my fotki I don't think I looked mixed LOL.

Also what you were saying about the slanted eyes thing there is a tribe somewhere around south west africa that has slanted eyes, but i keep forgetting the name.
The San? (I know which group you're referring to but I might be confusing them in my mind)

EXACTLY what I am thinking, AAP. What I hate about this movie is how exploitative it is. If this is "our" issue, then why does it need to be made into a public discussion. Black folks can discuss this issue on our own. Plus, White folks have proved again and again that they are not capable of learning anything about some of us without applying it to all of us.

This is all about making money, not opening a dialogue about Black hair issues. What good does it do us to have this movie? From what I've heard, he isn't saying anything the average Black woman hasn't heard before. Idk.

EXACTLY.........I love the woman on this board. We always get it right sooner or later!!

My problem with all this is, I am glad that Chris Rock is trying to inform black people to think more critically about their hair. But to me it does not help anything if no tries to find a solution. The point is they believe we have a problem with our hair. It can't grow or we go through all these lengths to make it look differently. OK> now what's the solution. To me too many say they done all this research. Yet, they never find people like the ones on the boards who had success. Why is it that they never provide positive feedback ? I don't care how great it is that he noticed there is a problem. Big deal so have others. Now how is he going to be part of the solution. Yeah, I know someone going to say if black people cared they go and look for themselves. But too many black people really believe truly that their hair is bad and can't grow. If you cared about the community. Enlighten yourself and research. Help find a solution. I mean I literally stumbled on this site. Maybe these people need to utilize google. I am tired of it. Don't preach to me, unless you know the way. That's how I feel. I won't be seeing this movie. I could always watch it online if I am curious.

Seems like the people who haven't even seen it are the ones doing the most complaining about what's in it. :lachen:
Basically you're saying "How can you tell what's going to be in the "documentary" unless you see it?" right? I'll tell you how......

The only reason why Chris would be on Oprah's show is to promote his "Good Hair 'Documentary' ". This means that in the small amount of time Oprah allots him, his goal would most likely be to get the main idea of his movie across to her viewers. Therefore it stands to reason that since this is his documentary then whatever he says or he insinuates during the interview will most likely be in his movie. It also stands to reason that whatever he doesn't believe would either be absent from the movie or mocked in the movie because again, it's HIS movie.....

Ok so let's look at Chris' philosophy about AA women and their hair.When given a chance, Chris basically sat up on Oprah's show and either straight out said OR insinuated that;

1) Black women can't grow hair

2) If they can grow hair then it's because they are "Oprah" rich.

3) All Black women (and he did generalize like a mu') do not like anyone touching their hair but Asian and White women are so willing to do this that when he dated him, he put his hands through their hair like he was "thiiiirsty" (comparing again - his words, not mine).

of course, he then contradicted himself with saying that

4) Black men don't care about women's hair .....WHAT?!?!?!
(Now THIS was laughable but seeing as though he wouldn't have many women chasing him without his money, he probably said that because back in the days he probably took what he could get) ;)

Then, during the segment about WW and their fusion (read:weaves) he sat there with a rapt look on his face as if he wasn't quite sure this actually happened with WW. Did you see the look on his face? :yep: He was absolutely astonished......ignorantly so, I might add....:rolleyes:

So there you have it. He cooned all of this on Oprah's show - we all saw it - so if he did that then isn't it highly likely that his "docu-coonery" also expresses that same sentiment?

Now if you're saying that it's STILL possible that what he said was misinterpreted and his docu-coonery won't be as harsh, then he deriously misrepresented himself and his movie and let's face it....it's a feat just to get on Oprah's show so why blow it by telling us something completely opposite of what's really in his movie? See, it just doesn't make sense. :ohwell:

So that's how I came to the conclusion. It's highly likely that what he said on Oprah's show is what he said in his documentary. Seriously, we really don't have to see the movie to come to that conclusion.*****

Last edited:

This so amazing I am a AA - some of my ancestors were slaves so I am positive some mixing went on. However, since then eveyone married/had kids by other AAs. I have been in asian restaurants and have had the owners and workers look at me very strangely and approach me and even ask if I was mixed. I was in CA for a conference and this asian man approached me speaking in his language and looking at me as if I understood what he said - very bizzare. Family members nicknamed me 'black china doll' which I never viewed as a compliment and now that I am growing my hair out these same family members claim I can grow my hair because I have that good hair even though they know my parents origins better than I do. :ohwell::ohwell:

Basically you're saying "How can you tell what's going to be in the "documentary" unless you see it?" right? I'll tell you how......

The only reason why Chris would be on Oprah's show is to promote his "Good Hair 'Documentary' ". This means that in the small amount of time Oprah allots him, his goal would most likely be to get the main idea of his movie across to her viewers. Therefore it stands to reason that since this is his documentary then whatever he says or he insinuates during the interview will most likely be in his movie. It also stands to reason that whatever he doesn't believe would either be absent from the movie or mocked in the movie because again, it's HIS movie.....

Ok so let's look at Chris' philosophy about AA women and their hair.When given a chance, Chris basically sat up on Oprah's show and either straight out said OR insinuated that;

3) All Black women (and he did generalize like a mu') do not like anyone touching their hair but Asian and White women are so willing to do this that when he dated him, he put his hands through their hair like he was "thiiiirsty" (comparing again - his words, not mine).

of course, he then contradicted himself with saying that

(Now THIS was laughable but seeing as though he wouldn't have many women chasing him without his money, he probably said that because back in the days he probably took what he could get) ;)

Then, during the segment about WW and their fusion (read:weaves) he sat there with a rapt look on his face as if he wasn't quite sure this actually happened with WW. Did you see the look on his face? :yep: He was absolutely astonished......ignorantly so, I might add....:rolleyes:

So there you have it. He cooned all of this on Oprah's show - we all saw it - so if he did that then isn't it highly likely that his "docu-coonery" also expresses that same sentiment?

Now if you're saying that it's STILL possible that what he said was misinterpreted and his docu-coonery won't be as harsh, then he deriously misrepresented himself and his movie and let's face it....it's a feat just to get on Oprah's show so why blow it by telling us something completely opposite of what's really in his movie? See, it just doesn't make sense. :ohwell:

So that's how I came to the conclusion. It's highly likely that what he said on Oprah's show is what he said in his documentary. Seriously, we really don't have to see the movie to come to that conclusion.*****

Good points jaineblaize - I try and support all black film and asked my mom if she wanted to see it - my mother is well in her 60s and is pretty conservative, no weaves, or naturals and she simply stated (without knowing much about the movie) why would I want to see him make fun of black women - we have a hard time of it already we don't need him making it worse. So I agree with limited info advertised by Chris Rock people can pretty much get where he's coming from...

Wow... well out of curiosity (i.e. being nosey) I went to check out your fotki and I definitely would never confuse you for being asian anything. I can tell that you are not mixed. I think some people are just ignorant of what to say/think about people of color...

Yes, sadly this is true. If these things don't START w/ BW, many times they are carried on by BW and enforced on other BW. Unfortunately too many BW are incredibly willing to believe the worst about themselves and their fellows no matter what subject "the worst" may be about.

True, but really sad :ohwell:

That pic of Hilton looks OK, but there are plenty of pics where her hair looks plastic. She clearly wears extensions and isn't ashamed. Why should she be? shrug.

bolded...don't buy. Yes, BW get questioned if they have super long (let's call it ALP+ for our purposes) braid extensions. They get questioned if they have super long hair at all, even and especially if it's all theirs. Unless you're using non human hair, the braid extensions are also of Asian hair.

This is not about weaves but the perception that Black women can't have long hair WITHOUT it being a weave/wig. Why else did those idiots run their hand thru Oprah's hair when clearly the texture "matches"? It's not about texture, it's about length, IMHO.

For the thing about the length, you already answered it in the last quote by me. I get what your saying but I think its up to the black women with long hair to speak up on this type of nonsense. :yep:. I think that's why there was a thread about making LHCF known to the media to show that black women can grow hair.

Have you seen the movie?

I don't know how any of this can be taken from what I sat in the theater and watched.

But that's the catch, isn't it? If you think the movie is insulting you, you don't want to pay to go see it. But then, how do you know it's insulting you?

I'm still going to see it, though. I just read Jaineblaize's post (wow, super lurker! only speaks when she has something to say, it seems) who brings up some good points, but I just have to see for myself. Will report back after I've seen it.

Last edited:
Wow... well out of curiosity (i.e. being nosey) I went to check out your fotki and I definitely would never confuse you for being asian anything. I can tell that you are not mixed. I think some people are just ignorant of what to say/think about people of color...

I was thinking the same thing...the photos surprised me.

For the thing about the length, you already answered it in the last quote by me. I get what your saying but I think its up to the black women with long hair to speak up on this type of nonsense. :yep:. I think that's why there was a thread about making LHCF known to the media to show that black women can grow hair.

Yes, I saw that thread and responded. I voted NO. Should they subject themselves to degarding "weave checks"? I can't believe CR having grown up around many Black women have known NONE that have their own long hair. It may be rarer in some places than others, but it's not like searching for a unicorn! :lachen:

I have long hair (tho I cover it)...I've known many BW w/ long hair
by anyone's standards, so they're out there and most (unlike me) don't cover their hair.

I'm convinced that some people are too invested in this belief (for whatever reason) to bother about trying to prove to them otherwise. So just grow yours and do your thing. :yep:

The most interesting thing about Oprah is that she really makes me think that if SHE can grow long healthy hair... ANY of us can.

The rich thing is a non-factor. If rich paid off for her, she'd be able to stay thin. I'd said wealth is a non-factor in her hair growing.

No way there's any excuse about her being "mixed." (I actually believe we are ALL mixed here in the US so that stat is meaningless.)

She basically an unremarkable black American specimen. Now talent wise... she's way ahead of the pack, but physically... she's just one of us. God has gifted her with an average, every-woman package.

If SHE can grow that long pretty hair... ANYONE can.

Take heart, girls!

Yes, Oprah's hair is gorgeous, when I saw her, my bottom lip dropped. There's a picture of her floating around somewhere with her hair kinky -- full, thick, long and lush, and that's awesome too.

I feel like Chris Rock should put me on his damn payroll.

Not said or implied anywhere in the movie.

Not said or implied anywhere in the movie. If anything the movie focused on the economics of wearing your own hair instead of buying someone else's and empowering other communities at the expense of your own.

The movie has a segment where he interviews black men who talk about their experience with this.

Again, he did 'man on the street' interviews with black men in the movie. If he interviewed other men and they say that they don't care about hair, should he have reported otherwise?

I saw the show. I didn't see cooning. I saw a conversation that has and will again take place on this very board. "We" are uncomfortable having that conversation with each other and I know that alot of the vitriol about it comes from the conversation being had in front of white people. Problem is that the laundry is still dirty whether it's aired in front of company or not and up until this documentary nobody has been able to get the attention of black folks en mass to look at the situation objectively. Hair boards do not reach a fraction of the numbers of black folks who tuned into Oprah to see Chris Rock talk about this.

I won't sit here and tell you or anyone else how to spend their money, but having seen the movie and reading comments about what you think is in it, I can say with 100% confidence that you're wrong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While it is true that one can make a best guesstimate base on a movie trailer, I think that this issue is way too politically charged make an objective guesstimate.

I still have to contend that the only way this movie would get approval sight unseen is if Chris Rock made a movie called "Sylver2: How every black woman on the planet currently has long hair".

I still have to contend that the only way this movie would get approval sight unseen is if Chris Rock made a movie called "Sylver2: How every black woman on the planet currently has long hair".

No, folks would still be mad: "No if every black woman had long hair, then weave wouldn't be a billion dollar industry! He should've done a movie about weave! We'z speshul here! SPESHUL!" :lachen:

Cracker's Phinn,

I have not seen the movie, but some of the quotes that you rebutted are from his Oprah interview, and not necessarily the movie.

Check back further in the thread. I did a nice debunk of the "strong Black woman" nonsense. We ARE vulnerable...we're women and human beings. Pretending to NOT be vulnerable is denying some of your humanity, IMHO.

I think some of the anger on the boards has nothing to do w/ that tho. Chris, it turns out, didn't even talk to his own wife about her hair practices, so what's the dealio? He lives w/ a BW, but he ONLY talks about women he doesn't live w/? He sent his kid to a all White school and seems surprised that she feels "different"? Well Chris, what did you expect?

My friends and I were also talking about the fact that he didn't talk about his own wife. I suspect that she didn't want to be involved in the project.

I didn't know that he sent his girls to all White schools. Black parents who choose to do that really shouldn't be surprised when their child comes home with questions like the one his little girl asked.

And for the record, I didn't like his ultimate response to her question. I feel like by saying, "what matters is what is IN your head, not ON your head," somewhat dodges the question. That statement is true, but he should have also said something along the lines that all hair is good, especially if you want to have hair on your head and you have it (I say that because some people choose not to have hair and instead keep a very low cut or completely shave their head like Sheila bridges by choice).

Sheila Bridges did not shave her head by choice, she suffers from alopecia and lost all her hair and eyebrows. She chose not to wear a wig to cover her condition.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Sheila Bridges did not shave her head by choice, she suffers from alopecia and lost all her hair and eyebrows. She chose not to wear a wig to cover her condition.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Right. She CHOSE not to wear a wig. That still is a CHOICE she made which was in line with the point I was making.

Back