ugggh im so upset!(rant)

if you can see how the other topics relate, then why don't you get this one? they were talking about HAIR, and he brought up a movie called 'good HAIR'...he probably thought he was adding a 'fun fact' since they were on the topic...

See the post below the quoted post for further explanation.

Personally, I don't think white folks have black folks on their minds like that. And the other poster's examples weren't race specific and were topics that anyone has experience with that's why the OP's example seems odd to me when the other examples don't.

I'm sorry but you need to report him and then pull him aside and re-educate his ignorance and tell him how you feel so that he never pulls that stunt again.

Most of us understand that Chris Rock's movie has its limitations, but some non-blacks are so uninformed about black hair that the movie is authoritative to them.

The BBC article about hair theft that Miss*Tress shared with us cited Chris Rock's movie. When I looked into formaldehyde used in hair products, I went to one of my go-to sites made by the Environmental Working Group. Their article on hair straighteners cited "Good Hair" alongside scholarly articles. "Good Hair" was even highlighted on "Oprah" when it came out. If "Good Hair" was featured on "Oprah," people know about it.

So journalists and entities with a scientific view of personal care products are using "Good Hair" like it has authoritative weight.

I can see a professor making comments like the OP said. He may discuss off-topic things regularly or think he was being sophisticated by incorporating "cultural" matters into anatomy. Professors/teachers misrepresent blacks often, because of how blacks were/are generally viewed in society.

When I was in a high school, my history teach said no blacks fought as soldiers in World War II. He said they were all cooks or janitors. I was shocked. I didn't know what to say. My own grandfather FOUGHT in the war, he wasn't a cook. We all know about the Tuskegee Airmen that flew planes and we even had the Buffalo Soldiers in the 19th century. I'm going to write my teacher and send him a real documentary about how blacks have been soldiers in every major American military conflict since the Revolution.

OP defiantly confront your Professor, in private, just so others can have a more well-rounded picture of who blacks are.

also black women tend to wear extensions more than any other race but they spend more on hair then any other race."

I know people like to believe this. But is it really true? The "European hair" trade is HUGE.

I'd really like to see some data though. There's a company called Great Lengths. They specialize in extensions for white people, really. Apparently they are the biggest buyers at hair auctions for hair that comes from india. So, if a company that mostly supplies white people ... buys up most of the hair .... errm ....

I suppose if you were to just observe, you would notice weaves more on black people due to texture blending issues. Weave extensions are not as noticeable on white hair me thinks.

On the spending issue, I tend to think the extensions/ wigs I've seen in white people salons/ hair stores are FAR more expensive. I suppose that it's possible that black people may use extensions more at a cheaper price, and white people use them less at a higher price .... we could technically, therefore be on par.

I don't know. Just some thoughts. I just think white people use extensions WAY more than people realize.

He's a professor so he has to have some intelligence, how is he going to let a Chris Rock documentary be his main source of information on black women's hair when he had two black women in the class he could have gotten real first hand responses from? Plus where has he been ? White women have been wearing hair extensiions for the longest time, its just that people assume that it is their real hair .

The bolded is why I believe that many people are not really interested in obtaining real knowledge on black women's hair. Don't assume based on a Chris Rock documentary, which was really nothing more than a comedic film and a marketing tool (didn't people notice how much of it was centered around the Bronner Brothers hair show?). If you really want to know about black women's hair, ask black women in a non-comedic, non-insulting manner AND be willing to listen to the response, even if it challenges or negates your perception.

I know people like to believe this. But is it really true? The "European hair" trade is HUGE.

I'd really like to see some data though. There's a company called Great Lengths. They specialize in extensions for white people, really. Apparently they are the biggest buyers at hair auctions for hair that comes from india. So, if a company that mostly supplies white people ... buys up most of the hair .... errm ....

I suppose if you were to just observe, you would notice weaves more on black people due to texture blending issues. Weave extensions are not as noticeable on white hair me thinks.

On the spending issue, I tend to think the extensions/ wigs I've seen in white people salons/ hair stores are FAR more expensive. I suppose that it's possible that black people may use extensions more at a cheaper price, and white people use them less at a higher price .... we could technically, therefore be on par.

I don't know. Just some thoughts. I just think white people use extensions WAY more than people realize.

@ the bolded and underlined: That's what I'm saying!!! I really hate to go here, but this argument about black women wearing extensions more than other women and spending more on haircare than other women reminds me of how a woman with primarily type 3 something hair HAS to be mixed, and the primary argument seems to be "well, that's what I see in my neighborhood. That's what I see on TV."

I have a few questions in regards to those arguments:

-How far outside of your neighborhood have you ventured?
-Have you visited other countries and witnessed the same things in regards to hair?
-Which countries have you visited?
-When you say "that's what I see on TV", which media are you referring to? If you're referring to ONLY the U.S. media, then your argument isn't exactly airtight.

In no way am I saying that what we see in our neighborhoods and in the media should be denied or ignored. Honestly, it can't be denied or ignored. No matter how small or how large those segments of visual representation are, they ARE images of what actually exists in our society.
However, in order for anyone to say more definitively say that black women wear extensions more than other women or spend more on haircare than other women, significant and wide-reaching data needs to be gathered.

OP aren't you in highschool?

I remember preparing myself for uncomfortable moments in class when I could just feel that something inappropriate was going to be said about the "black experience." It's even worse when you are the only black person that "assimilates" with the rest of the students in the class.

I was never comfortable saying something each and every time but I agree with several posters here who mentioned that if it isn't corrected now it will happen again. If you are in high school OP maybe get your parents to write a note or you could write a note to the teacher explaining why it made you uncomfortable and perhaps giving a cultural example your professor could relate too.

Just a note: I find the scenario very realistic and on topic as the OP mentioned they were discussing hair and skin.

ETA: Just in case I get questioned about assimilation. In my high school I was in the gifted and talented classes or AP. I was often the only black girl. The token... my classmates were used to me and expected me to represent all of Black America and I counted as their Black Friend...:nono: I'm so happy I choose an HBCU.

Last edited:
Your public speaking professor who spoke about rap music was at least speaking about something that is loosely related to public speaking. So I could imagine that coming up in class discussion in her attempt to "relate" to the students. Although, she failed miserably. English class and common law I could see depending the books and authors you may have been reading/discussing at the time. So no your examples don't seem far fetched. However, I just can't come up with how CR's movie can be tied to an anatomy class or even how black women and their hair issues could even come up. Sorry just can't picture that.
She said they were studying the skin in her anatomy class, I would imagine they might/maybe have touched on hair growth (or not) in their study of the skin. Maybe you should re-read OP's first post :yep: :look:

if you can see how the other topics relate, then why don't you get this one? they were talking about HAIR, and he brought up a movie called 'good HAIR'...he probably thought he was adding a 'fun fact' since they were on the topic...
oops! There were ACTUALLY talking about the skin- the largest organ in the human body :grin: :yep:

I know people like to believe this. But is it really true? The "European hair" trade is HUGE.......

ITA 110% with everything above, especially the bolded :yep:

OP aren't you in highschool?

Im pretty sure she said 'lecturer' and in my experience, lecturers teach @ colleges & universities not high school :grin:

@ kachi
I understand your point but from OPs previous posts in other threads I got the impression she was still in high school and applying to colleges. But..thats why I asked.

I am having trouble understanding what his comment had to do with anatomy. There is nothing scientific about CR's movie so how is it even relevant to class discussion regardless if the lecture was on hair or not. I have never known any professor to use a movie as some type of proof or to back up any theories especially scientific theories or ideas.

Are you sure you didn't imagine this? Because this story just doesn't seem to have the ring reality to it to me. No shade but it just doesn't come across as authentic.

-__- no i did not imagine it i am not a schizophrenic. When we got to the section about hair he went on for 15 almost 20 minutes about how his wife lost so much hair when she was pregnant with his 1st child and how she gained so much hair with her 2nd child and how his wife was a red head and how in college he participated in a study about the prostate etc.etc.
although he's a good teacher,he can get extremely off topic especially since the class is 3hours long and is every day which is what eventually lead to the topic of chris rock's movie. and besides why the heck would i make this up?i do not spend my day thinking about what threads i should make to start a LHCF riot lol i spend my day at school since im taking summer classes from 8 in the morning to 8:30 at night...so yeeaahi rarely even make threads in the first place

Last edited:
That damn Chris Rock ruined everything. Also, the part about being annoyed when people touch your hair is a lie. Lots of other women don't like their hair being touched either...there is a thread about it on NC. Logically speaking it would have more to do with the style rather than the race. This should be obvious to people...

exactly, i know many hispanic women that dont like it when ppl touch their hair.after my professor made tht comment one white dude was like "but my gf is indian and she lets me touch her hair" and the professor was like "well yeah that's different"
:perplexed i was like uhh huh?that's different?wth.....?

Umm, Imma need more people on this board to get some courage. Everytime people tell these stories they always talk about "I just sat there without knowing what to say." SAY SOMETHING DAMN IT! Why did you just sit there and let him get away with spewing such garbage?

i know but i was so shocked that i didnt even know what to say my mind pretty much went blank. If he was some random dude then i prob wouldve said something back but the fact tht he's my professor made me extremely hesitant also

I swear if anyone and I mean ANYONE comes at me with some Chris Rock stuff boy o boy yall are going to get a nice thread about what I am going to say. I already have what I am going to say in the vault but believe me it WILL NOT BE NICE AT ALL.

It seems like folks are pulling out this Chris Rock movie like its the end all to be all. KTFOHWTBS!!!!!!

Why dont they comment about how whites wear pieces all the dang TOO or that UGHHHHH!!!!

this is the 1st time that ive heard a non-black person IRL relate black ppls hair to the chris rock documentary. When i would read posts/threads about it i'd usually be like "mmkay these ppl r trippin i thought Good Hair was hilarious etc.etc." but now that ive experienced it first hand:nono:

It sounds like your professor is mental and she was out of line for calling you a geek. And it seems that she was making fun of you questioning her by questioning you. If I were you I would have reported her to the dean or head of the English department. I have done that before for a professor I was at odds with.

Anyway back to the OP, it's apparent from her post that she was very uncomfortable during this discussion so it seems to me that maybe he picked up on that and was trying to be "inclusive" by stating the only thing he could think of about black women and hair. :lol: Because that's the only reason I can come up with as to why a white man would make that statement to a room full of people when only 2 of those people are black. It's not like white folk are just running around discussing black women and their hair hang ups all willy nilly.

ooh i think i forgot to add, he's not white he's hispanic

ETA: Just in case I get questioned about assimilation. In my high school I was in the gifted and talented classes or AP. I was often the only black girl. The token... my classmates were used to me and expected me to represent all of Black America and I counted as their Black Friend...:nono: I'm so happy I choose an HBCU.

OT, but I chose an HBCU for this exact same reason. Best decision ever. :yep:

Umm, Imma need more people on this board to get some courage. Everytime people tell these stories they always talk about "I just sat there without knowing what to say." SAY SOMETHING DAMN IT! Why did you just sit there and let him get away with spewing such garbage?

co-sign
op, you missed your window of opportunity
now if you bring it up it'll just seem petty and combative

That topic makes for interesting discussion to me-its such a strange phenomenon, plus the comments were true, big deal.
I liked that movie too.

Back