Bio Available Silica challenge anyone? So Easy

I have been in this challenge since the beginning and my hair has definitely experienced a boost. I cant post as much as I used to , but oNce I return home, I will post pix of my results.

Nails are also very tough...

Thanks VEV
You are welcome!

I am in - But - i understand that we can only take Alta?
I have Biosil drops - and I am going to finish that first - if I can't be in the challenge - that is ok.

I'm taking both, I don't think it matters...I take the Biosil at night because it's easier to use at home, I can take the Alta to work. My hair is definately growing like weed. I had a itty bitty almost buzzed twa end of December, I have 3 - 4 inches of new growth now. I'm amazed and pleased!!! I'm going to keep up with the Biosil and the Alta...

I'm taking both, I don't think it matters...I take the Biosil at night because it's easier to use at home, I can take the Alta to work. My hair is definately growing like weed. I had a itty bitty almost buzzed twa end of December, I have 3 - 4 inches of new growth now. I'm amazed and pleased!!! I'm going to keep up with the Biosil and the Alta...
Well, if you are taking both, you don't know for sure if it is the ALTA, the BIOSIL or both. You just don't know.

By all means, do you. However, this is an Alta Silica challenge to not muddy the waters...

Well, if you are taking both, you don't know for sure if it is the ALTA, the BIOSIL or both. You just don't know.

By all means, do you. However, this is an Alta Silica challenge to not muddy the waters...
:nono:I wasn't intending to muddy the waters, I was just trying to save my pocket book because I had a whole bottle of the Biosil left when I started the challenge. I think silica is the greatest thing going period, I had a bottle of Biosil and didn't want it to go to waste. I'm glad you started this challenge because it helped me step up my commitment to take my Alta and the Biosil daily. Now I am reaping the benefits!

By all means, ladies stick with the Alta, I know it's the bomb and a better deal cost wise for certain! :yep:

I need to stay consistent. blah, when ever i do though my nails can grow out longer and stronger than usual and my skin look/feels extremely smooth. I just started taking another supplement called Emerald Balance that has bamboo silica/and horsetail in it. I forgot how much, but can you get to much silica? Does anyone know?

Hi 100384,

I read yesterday that the recommended intake for horsetail varies a lot, from 100 - 1000 mg. daily. Also, I read that it's best to take a week's break after using horsetail for a month, in order to avoid kidney strain. HTH.

Josie

Hi 100384,

I read yesterday that the recommended intake for horsetail varies a lot, from 100 - 1000 mg. daily. Also, I read that it's best to take a week's break after using horsetail for a month, in order to avoid kidney strain. HTH.

Josie
I always chuckle when I read this kind of stuff. There are over the counter toxic pharmaceuticals that cause liver/kidney STRAIN and death etc but folks make a major deal over taking a supplement that most folks are deficient in.

I want to hear about someone that took an overdose of silica and went to the hospital and possibly DIED??

Does the Alta Silica come in liquid form or is just capsules? (Sorry if this was already posted)

ETA: Please disregard this post... I really wanted to join this challenge... I left a message for my Doc yesterday asking if a Silica supplement would be safe to take with my multivitamin or if it would intefere....

The message I received back from her was:
"No, a Silica supplement would not intefere with you're multivitamin, but I would like to know why you are wanting to take this? I do not recommend Silica to anyone or any of my patients."

I called back and told her it was for my hair and nails and she said my multivitamin should be enough.. she suggested me taking Biotin if I wanted something extra:perplexed

Oh well, I hope you ladies keep getting good results... Now I wish I never called her:ohwell:

Last edited:
Does the Alta Silica come in liquid form or is just capsules? (Sorry if this was already posted)

ETA: Please disregard this post... I really wanted to join this challenge... I left a message for my Doc yesterday asking if a Silica supplement would be safe to take with my multivitamin or if it would intefere....

"No, a Silica supplement would not intefere with you're multivitamin, but I would like to know why you are wanting to take this? I do not recommend Silica to anyone or any of my patients."

I called back and told her it was for my hair and nails and she said my multivitamin should be enough.. she suggested me taking Biotin if I wanted something extra:perplexed

Oh well, I hope you ladies keep getting good results... Now I wish I never called her:ohwell:

Chardai,

Did the doc say why?

I always chuckle when I read this kind of stuff. There are over the counter toxic pharmaceuticals that cause liver/kidney STRAIN and death etc but folks make a major deal over taking a supplement that most folks are deficient in.

I want to hear about someone that took an overdose of silica and went to the hospital and possibly DIED??
I read an article today where they recommend 5 mg to 20 mg per day with no side effect what so ever so it just depends on who your reading or talking too. I have never heard of anyone going toxic with silica...

I can tell I must have been deficent in it because there is a big difference in my hair, I'm almost tempted to straighten it just to see how much length I've gained but I promised I would wait until May.:look: I don't think I can hold out...

ETA: I have a perfect Ten for nails and this while growing out artifical nail damage, my toe nails are pefect too, at one time I thought they would never be the same after getting fungus from the nail salon...!!

Last edited:
Chardai,

Did the doc say why?

Actually the nurse left me the message saying the doc didn't recommend it. I called back to speak personally with the doctor and that's all she really said. She just said she doesn't recommend a Silica supplement for anyone. She said I could get it naturally by eating vegetables, onions, oats, apples, strawberries, grapes, raw almonds, sunflower seeds... She said some hair vitamins or multivitamins may contain Silicon and that's ok too. She just specified that as a seperate supplement she doesn't recommend. :confused:

That's just one doctor though.. If people have been using it for months/years without any side effects or ill effects then obviously there can't be too much wrong with it... I might get a 2nd opinion..

Last edited:
Actually the nurse left me the message saying the doc didn't recommend it. I called back to speak personally with the doctor and that's all she really said. She just said she doesn't recommend a Silica supplement for anyone. She said I could get it naturally by eating vegetables, onions, oats, apples, strawberries, grapes, raw almonds, sunflower seeds... She said some hair vitamins or multivitamins may contain Silicon and that's ok too. She just specified that as a seperate supplement she doesn't recommend. :confused:

That's just one doctor though.. If people have been using it for months/years without any side effects or ill effects then obviously there can't be too much wrong with it... I might get a 2nd opinion..

Thanks for your response.
My daughters doc okayed it for her. But we were only trying to make sure that it didn't have any ill side effects with other meds that she is on.

RZ~

Thanks for your response.
My daughters doc okayed it for her. But we were only trying to make sure that it didn't have any ill side effects with other meds that she is on.

RZ~

Good to know... Like I said, I'll probably get a 2nd opinion.

Last edited:

Do you have an illness, and that is why you consulted the doc?

Not for nothing, most doctors are not trained in supplements. I can tell of so many stories of conditions that the docs wanted to go cut folks-- they take a supplement and they are cured. A miracle. But by all means consult w/ your doctor. My doctor is all for my Alta Silica.

OK... Vevster...

I'll be starting on my Alta Silica on Monday. I had half a bottle of Vitamin Shoppe Silica I had to polish off first. I take the last three of those tomorrow.

I will probably check back in two and a half months. I relax in two weeks. And, I am starting a new regimen using BT instead of MN (the MN was giving me sores on my scalp). It will be easier for me to see growth if I start checking after a fresh relaxer instead of after a six-week old relaxer.

Do you have an illness, and that is why you consulted the doc?

No, I do not have an illness. I consulted the doc to see if taking a Silica supplement would be OK and also if I could take it in addition to my multivitamin. I always consult my doctor or a doctor before I start taking anything new.
I used to take Andrew Lessman Hair, Skin, and Nails and I consulted her on that as well.. and she advised that was ok.

She may not know alot about the Silica supplement which is why she may have been so adamant about not recommending it.

Vevster,

Did you notice any changes in your nails? If so, how long did it take?

Because I've been taking the Alta Silica 3x a day for three weeks (I'm still on the first bottle) and my nails are still the same length. They are still growing slowly, still soft, and still breaking off very easily.

I listened to the audio interview you provided and the parties said that the health of the nails is a good indication that the silica is working.

Should I continue with the same dosage and finish the second bottle before making any changes or should I increase the dosage on the second bottle?

Vevster,

Did you notice any changes in your nails? If so, how long did it take?

Because I've been taking the Alta Silica 3x a day for three weeks (I'm still on the first bottle) and my nails are still the same length. They are still growing slowly, still soft, and still breaking off very easily.

I listened to the audio interview you provided and the parties said that the health of the nails is a good indication that the silica is working.

Should I continue with the same dosage and finish the second bottle before making any changes or should I increase the dosage on the second bottle?
I would increase my dose if I were you because the nails are the indicator.... good luck with it!

I know I'm late, but I've just ordered some Alta Silica :grin: I've heard a lot of great things about Silica for hair health, so I'm interested to see the effects of adding it to my diet. It's coming from USA to here in the UK so I'll probably recieve it in a week or so. I'm excited to see how my hair will respond!!!!

I know I'm late, but I've just ordered some Alta Silica :grin: I've heard a lot of great things about Silica for hair health, so I'm interested to see the effects of adding it to my diet. It's coming from USA to here in the UK so I'll probably recieve it in a week or so. I'm excited to see how my hair will respond!!!!

Welcome to the Challenge!!!!

If the nails are the indicator then my hair is doing FANTASTIC because my nails are OFF THE CHAIN!!! :D:up: I am in :love: with my nails right now!! I expect the same lovefest when I flatiron my hair in a few short months. :yep:

From what I have read on this thread and listened to on the audio piece, I am very interested in trying silica as well but I have a question:

On the Vitacost website in addition to the Alta Heath Silica, there is the NSI brand of silica which claims the same exact amount of horsetail extract as the Alta Health (1,500mg) and looks like the same supplement except the NSI is a vegetarian formula and the Alta Heath is not....also the prices are comparable (the Alta Health offers 120 tablets for $11.29--the NSI offers 240 tablets for $19.99) ........all that said, why are we specifically advised to take the Alta Health Brand?

Last edited:
From what I have read on this thread and listened to on the audio piece, I am very interested in trying silica as well but I have a question:

On the Vitacost website in addition to the Alta Heath Silica, there is the NSI brand of silica which claims the same exact amount of horsetail extract as the Alta Health (1,500mg) and looks like the same supplement except the NSI is a vegetarian formula and the Alta Heath is not....also the prices are comparable (the Alta Health offers 120 tablets for $11.29--the NSI offers 240 tablets for $19.99) ........all that said, why are we specifically advised to take the Alta Health Brand?[/QUOTE]

That is the only brand MY doctor recs and that I have info and experience with. If you want to take the NSI brand by all means do you. :yep:

This is an alta silica challenge I'm not going to fight with anyone that wants to take anything else.

That is the only brand MY doctor recs and that I have info and experience with. If you want to take the NSI brand by all means do you. :yep:

This is an alta silica challenge I'm not going to fight with anyone that wants to take anything else.

Oh ok, no problemo, no fight here...I was just curious b/c looking at the ingredients, the only difference I could see was that one was vegetarian and the other was not, but I thought maybe I was missing something...

If I decide to purchase the Alta Health silica I will update and definitely join the challenge, and if I purchase the NSI, I will not infiltrate or anything but I will be watching this thread closey as well!!!

By the way, thanks Vevster for starting this challenge and enlightening us even moreso to the wonderful benefits of silica!!!!
:bighug:

Back