Bio Available Silica challenge anyone? So Easy

tacky update: vev starts sibling strife

so, i'm running low on the silica pills so i asked my sis if she's using the bottle I gave to her (really i gave them to her husband (back issue) who passed them on to her since he didn't see instantaneous results). first she looked at my hair then gave me the lips and attitude "No, I haven't used them yet but you're not getting them back." :ohwell:

in her defense my hair is shining something FIERCE!

i haven't noticed dramatic growth but the lusture's ridiculous...and i'm happy with that.

AJJ: yup my nails look like i've got acrylic on them also.

I should probably post this in the chlorophyll thread...in fact, I'm off to go read it but, vevster, if u can answer: What the hell is in that stuff? (I'm doing World Organics because I saw Isis' brand post first). I hope I don't OD on the stuff - I drink it by itself plus I spike my green smoothies with it. I may need a Chlorophyll 12-step soon. When I drink it I get such a sense of well-being. I just feel so peaceful.

Well, I guess the easiest way to explain is that chlorophyl is to plants what blood is too us humans.... I'm glad it is enhancing your life :up:

sadly, i have to drop out of this challenge. :sad: i've been getting pimples and rashes on my face and body, which is usually an indication that i am having an allergic reaction to some dairy i've consumed. i've been staying away from dairy so i couldn't figure out why i was having this reaction-- then i realized that the first ingredient in the "other ingredients" list on the back of the bottle is whey!

so be careful those who have an allergy to dairy/whey!

Am I still counted as "in the challenge" if I am doing the master cleanse for 10 days? I took my Silica the day before the cleanse and will start again the day after I finish. I started Monday and am now in day 3 having nothing but liquid chlorophyl and the cleansing lemonade.

sadly, i have to drop out of this challenge. :sad: i've been getting pimples and rashes on my face and body, which is usually an indication that i am having an allergic reaction to some dairy i've consumed. i've been staying away from dairy so i couldn't figure out why i was having this reaction-- then i realized that the first ingredient in the "other ingredients" list on the back of the bottle is whey!

This isn't my challenge although I have totally benefited and enjoyed it. I hope Vester doesn't mind that I pass this info along to you because I want everyone to experience the goodness of silica

Flora's Vegetal Silica is created via the method that the doctor who was quoted in the the article in the begining of this thread. The cost per tablet is about the same on Vita Cost and it doesn't contain dairy.

061998614358.jpg

Aqueous extract of Spring Horsetail.
For Healthy Hair, Skin & Nails.
Premium Herbal Formulas.
Flora's premium Vegetal Silica is prepared using a unique aqueous extraction method developed and patented by Dr. Louis Kervran. This method ensures the vegetal silica is bonded or "chelated" to a group of water-soluble bioflavonoids. Only this method offers a safe and highly bioavailable form of silica that is easily assimilated by the body.
Vegetal Silica helps maintain strong, healthy hair and nails plus promotes soft, supple skin.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Servings per Container: 180

Amount Per Serving% Daily Value

Spring Horsetail (equals 10 mg silica)410 mg*

*Daily value not established.

Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, in a vegetarian capsule made of water and hypromellose (USP).

This the best alternative to Alta if you have a dairy allergy.

Good to know! Sorry it didn't work out for you!

This isn't my challenge although I have totally benefited and enjoyed it. I hope Vester doesn't mind that I pass this info along to you because I want everyone to experience the goodness of silica

Flora's Vegetal Silica is created via the method that the doctor who was quoted in the the article in the begining of this thread. The cost per tablet is about the same on Vita Cost and it doesn't contain dairy.

061998614358.jpg

Premium Herbal Formulas.
Flora's premium Vegetal Silica is prepared using a unique aqueous extraction method developed and patented by Dr. Louis Kervran. This method ensures the vegetal silica is bonded or "chelated" to a group of water-soluble bioflavonoids. Only this method offers a safe and highly bioavailable form of silica that is easily assimilated by the body.
Vegetal Silica helps maintain strong, healthy hair and nails plus promotes soft, supple skin.

Supplement Facts

Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, in a vegetarian capsule made of water and hypromellose (USP).

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing AtlantaJJ!!!!

This is all about us helping each other!!

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing AtlantaJJ!!!!

This is all about us helping each other!!
Vester you are so awesome, I feel the same way and you have so greatly benefited me with this challenge, I want to spread the goodness and the love. I'm taking silica for the rest of my life so I've been researching sources in case on or the other dries up (you know how that can happen and then I found this)

Very glad and honored to be able to share. :yep:

see now, this is why i love this forum. thanks, AtlantaJJ. you're so great for suggesting this. i am definitely checking this out. b/c, despite the allergic reaction, the silica still made my new growth soft, manageable and more moisturized. plus, in some areas i got at least 2 inches of growth in 2 months (i usually get half an inch, if that much, per month).

061998614358.jpg

Premium Herbal Formulas.

Supplement Facts

I have a question about the Alta Silica on Vitacost....on this link with the 120 count http://www.vitacost.com/Alta-Health-Products-Silica-With-Bioflavonoids the amounts per serving is 1500mg....on this link http://www.vitacost.com/Alta-Health-Products-Silica-w-Bioflavinoid with the 60 count the amounts per serving is 500mg.....

The Alta Silica that I purchase from VitaminShoppe has 120 tablets but the per serving amount is 500mg. Has anyone else noticed that? I'm considering ordering the 1500mg from Vitacost (one tablet per day) instead of taking my current 3 tablets per day (at 500mg each) I would save soooo much money. :eek: I have to purchase a bottle a month because I take 3 per day. :perplexed

see now, this is why i love this forum. thanks, AtlantaJJ. you're so great for suggesting this. i am definitely checking this out. b/c, despite the allergic reaction, the silica still made my new growth soft, manageable and more moisturized. plus, in some areas i got at least 2 inches of growth in 2 months (i usually get half an inch, if that much, per month).

Hey, glad you could find an alternative:grin:

The silica made my hair feel more "moisturized" or something too. Does anyone know the science behind this?

I have a question about the Alta Silica on Vitacost....on this link with the 120 count http://www.vitacost.com/Alta-Health-Products-Silica-With-Bioflavonoids the amounts per serving is 1500mg....on this link http://www.vitacost.com/Alta-Health-Products-Silica-w-Bioflavinoid with the 60 count the amounts per serving is 500mg.....

The Alta Silica that I purchase from VitaminShoppe has 120 tablets but the per serving amount is 500mg. Has anyone else noticed that? I'm considering ordering the 1500mg from Vitacost (one tablet per day) instead of taking my current 3 tablets per day (at 500mg each) I would save soooo much money. :eek: I have to purchase a bottle a month because I take 3 per day. :perplexed
There is not difference in the products. My vitacost bottle says 3 tabs = 1500 mg. There is no big megadose tablet.

I am still loving loving loving this.

My nails are off the chain. Between gardening and swimming I usually have breaks and splits this time of year , but not now. I have had them clipped and filed every month now, whereas before I never really needed a clip, maybe just a re-shaping.

I have trouble spots at the very nape and crown of my head, that just dont seem to grow. I have gained approx (hard to tell cuz I'm braided and natural) 1.5" in the last 6 - 7 weeks, whereas usually these areas don't seem to budge.

I have noticed that I don't have joint pain afte my runs anymore. They are just GONE....I am still sore, but muscle soreness not joint pain, and even that is much less....

my hair texture is like when I was a kid. Soft and springy w/o condish or any product, and silky and smooth. Silica has helped me so much!

I am up to 4 per day - 2 am, 2 pm.

I am still loving loving loving this.

My nails are off the chain. Between gardening and swimming I usually have breaks and splits this time of year , but not now. I have had them clipped and filed every month now, whereas before I never really needed a clip, maybe just a re-shaping.

I have trouble spots at the very nape and crown of my head, that just dont seem to grow. I have gained approx (hard to tell cuz I'm braided and natural) 1.5" in the last 6 - 7 weeks, whereas usually these areas don't seem to budge.

I have noticed that I don't have joint pain afte my runs anymore. They are just GONE....I am still sore, but muscle soreness not joint pain, and even that is much less....

my hair texture is like when I was a kid. Soft and springy w/o condish or any product, and silky and smooth. Silica has helped me so much!

I am up to 4 per day - 2 am, 2 pm.

:clap: another success story!

geez my nails are growing fast :blush:
:what color are your nails today???? :drunk:

i'm noton the challenge but after readin a few (not all 4 million) pages, i started takin the alta silica. it hasnt even been 2 full weeks yet and my nails look pinker and are stronger... i got back started on other vits i fell off of, but i KNOW its the alta cause they never changed my nails!

I haven't been taking these for very long but I do notice that my nails are much thicker and are growing very fast. I don't think my 6 bottles will last too long since I discovered that my boyfriend has starting taking them himself:rolleyes:

I haven't been taking these for very long but I do notice that my nails are much thicker and are growing very fast. I don't think my 6 bottles will last too long since I discovered that my boyfriend has starting taking them himself:rolleyes:

Then, he needs to re-up on the supply! What is he taking them for nails or hair? :lol:

Then, he needs to re-up on the supply! What is he taking them for nails or hair? :lol:

Hair :lol: :rolleyes:
I didn't find out until I saw the plastic wrap around it on the counter. I was puzzled because I opened one up as soon as I got it and keep the the rest in one of our cabinets. I asked about it and thats when he said he opened up a bottle for himself.

Hair :lol: :rolleyes:
I didn't find out until I saw the plastic wrap around it on the counter. I was puzzled because I opened one up as soon as I got it and keep the the rest in one of our cabinets. I asked about it and thats when he said he opened up a bottle for himself.
Oohh he got a nerve! LOL What he know about silica, he been reading our thread? LOL J/K :lachen::lachen: :laugh: I'd be mad...he betta go get some of his own:look:...LOL :laugh:

Oohh he got a nerve! LOL What he know about silica, he been reading our thread? LOL J/K :lachen::lachen: :laugh: I'd be mad...he betta go get some of his own:look:...LOL :laugh:

He likes hair. He used to have nearly waistlength natural hair then he cut it off. Now his hair is thinning and he is having the hardest time dealing with it :lol: Thats when he started asking me about biotin and hair vitamins. He actually was the one that urged me to start taking control of my hair. When we first started dating, my stylist had me looking like as he would say it "dry, like a cat licked it" :lol:

just a warning I read about Silica! Be careful taking higher doses than recommended ladies!

Side effects, precautions, interactions
Horsetail is generally considered safe. Horsetail will promote urination, adequate fluid should be consumed when taking horsetail preparations orally. People with heart or kidney disorders should not use horsetail. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not take horsetail. Horsetail is contraindicated in those who have edema because of an impaired heart or kidney function. Horsetail is known to block the absorption of thiamine, and lead to thiamine deficiency. Long-term use or high doses of horsetail have caused irreversible kidney damage due to too much silica

found at the bottom of this page url
http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/herbal-supplements/horsetail.php

just a warning I read about Silica! Be careful taking higher doses than recommended ladies!

Horsetail is generally considered safe. Horsetail will promote urination, adequate fluid should be consumed when taking horsetail preparations orally. People with heart or kidney disorders should not use horsetail. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not take horsetail. Horsetail is contraindicated in those who have edema because of an impaired heart or kidney function. Horsetail is known to block the absorption of thiamine, and lead to thiamine deficiency. Long-term use or high doses of horsetail have caused irreversible kidney damage due to too much silica

Ive always only taken this for short periods of time in the past, I'm glad I did that now! Because that blocking Thiamine Absorbtion is scary, I say take your b complex at another time seperate from the Silica, and dont take high doses, I have always only taken two and still saw the benefit to my hair and nails.

I got my three bottles , will take two a day like I always have and will stop after that and now with this info, I will be sure to take my B complex and Multi separate.

Don't go into wide spread panic. I researched this and the amounts that would be considered toxic are so high we'd have to take them by the fist fulls to get there. I will find the article that goes into the rest of the story later, I'm in a training session at work right now.

For now if you are taking no more than 6 of the alta silica per day you are fine. The recommended dose to maintain healthy hair is 20 - 40 mg of silica (not horsetail) You have to convert how much silica is one alta tablet. I'm not exactly sure of that figure.....(guessing between 5 - 10 mg per tablet)

ETA - Corrected gram to mg...my bad!!!

Last edited:
Don't go into wide spread panic. I researched this and the amounts that would be considered toxic are so high we'd have to take them by the fist fulls to get there. I will find the article that goes into the rest of the story later, I'm in a training session at work right now.

For now if you are taking no more than 6 of the alta silica per day you are fine. The recommended dose to maintain healthy hair is 20 - 40 mg of silica (not horsetail) You have to convert how much silica is one alta tablet. I'm not exactly sure of that figure.....(guessing between 5 - 10 mg per tablet)

ETA - Corrected gram to mg...my bad!!!

yeah I'm not panicking I have taken this safely in the past at the amount I said, I didnt read this whole thread just wanted ya'll to be carefull, but your right somoene would have to define what a high dose is. But it doesnt say any particular dose causes the blocking of Thiamine absorption, it says it does period. That somethin I dont want to play with. So I will stick with my two and take them separate and not take it long term

just want ya'll to be carefull thats all :yep:

Back