Ayurveda Support Thread

I believe that Shikakai is a saponid just like Aritha powder is, and Aritha definitely creates suds. I did a search on Shikakai, and it is a natural cleanser. I believe it's supposed to suds, but I could be wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikakai

Thanks Muffin! That would explain it. It also said this: Usually no rinse or conditioner is used since shikakai also acts as a detangler.

From what I have read about other people's experiences this stuff actually causes tangles. My hair didn't feel tangled after using this poo but it certainly wasn't detangled enough to go without conditioner.

Ok, here is my update. I did this Saturday 5/9. My hair came out fluffy and lightweight. But very dry feeling and my texture was looser and even limp in some areas. I also had breakage. My first batch I used hot boiling water but I didn't add enough water because it spread on thick and kind of dry and I ended up not having enough. So I mixed the next batch with enough hot water and it spread on like soft butter. I wrapped my head in saran wrap and kept it on for 2 hours then rinsed with water. I rinsed with cheapy conditioner twice and then deep conditioned with ORS. Hair still felt dry, my curls did not feel silky and supple like they use to. I also had an itchy dry feeling scalp.

Today I still feel dryness and I am softening it up with water, castor oil and my leave-in conditioner. I deep conditioned with Mega-Tek. Last night, I mixed Amla powder and cheapy conditioner mix but nixed that due to the fact that I decided to go back to what I was doing before Ayurveda. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Ok, here is my update. I did this Saturday 5/9. My hair came out fluffy and lightweight. But very dry feeling and my texture was looser and even limp in some areas. I also had breakage. My first batch I used hot boiling water but I didn't add enough water because it spread on thick and kind of dry and I ended up not having enough. So I mixed the next batch with enough hot water and it spread on like soft butter. I wrapped my head in saran wrap and kept it on for 2 hours then rinsed with water. I rinsed with cheapy conditioner twice and then deep conditioned with ORS. Hair still felt dry, my curls did not feel silky and supple like they use to. I also had an itchy dry feeling scalp.

Today I still feel dryness and I am softening it up with water, castor oil and my leave-in conditioner. I deep conditioned with Mega-Tek. Last night, I mixed Amla powder and cheapy conditioner mix but nixed that due to the fact that I decided to go back to what I was doing before Ayurveda. :ohwell:

CM, this is no where near enough rinsing to get the henna out of your hair. I rinse my hair at least 5-6 times with cheapy conditioners then deep condition from 3 hours to overnight. Overnight DCs after a henna treatment has given me far better and softer hair results than just a few hours afterwards. The itchy sensation could be that some henna might still be on your scalp.

Yesterday I dced with AM, TJ Nourish spa, Motions CPR, Nettle, Horsetail, Bhrami, Bhringraj, Amla & Fenugreek. I tried Muffin's method of Dissolving the Fenugreek in boiling water first. I used only a tablespoon of powder & kept adding boiling water till I got a smooth paste, THEN I mixed in my other herbs & cond. It rinsed MUCH easier.:yep: Thanks Muffin!!:blowkiss:
Another thing, I think I was underestimating the fact that this herb (Fenugreek) is also used as a thickener, that is until I noticed how one spoon turned to almost a 1/4 cup when mixed with liquid. This along with the fact it releases mucilage plus needing HOT liquid to help it dissolve is why I was getting the glue like consistency. I was using nowhere near the amount of liquid needed to smooth this stuff out.:ohwell: It was sorta like adding water to cornstarch. I just kept growing:blush: So the conclusion for smoother rinsing (for me anyway) less powder, more liquid (HOT) then add cond.

CM, this is no where near enough rinsing to get the henna out of your hair. I rinse my hair at least 5-6 times with cheapy conditioners then deep condition from 3 hours to overnight. Overnight DCs after a henna treatment has given me far better and softer hair results than just a few hours afterwards. The itchy sensation could be that some henna might still be on your scalp.

Aggie, you are right. This must be it, it felt like it was still in my hair and I couldn't believe it. I will have to reevaluate the situation.

Aggie, Thanks for the boiling tip!! :grin: Now tell me about this Fenugreek & oil on the stove?? Do you use other herbs??

You're welcomed FL. No I don't use any other powders when I make the fenugreek rinse. I like to make it separately and add it boiled to other powders as I need it. I tend to make a large batch that lasts me a while and I simply boil it a little at a time and add it to my powder mixes when I need to put them in my hair.

I find that the best oil I have used in my fenugreek tea rinse is coconut oil and sometimes I'd add shikakai or amla oil. The coconut oil makes the rinse a little more sleek and smooth on my hair.

ETA: The fenugreek tea rinse is made right on the stove. What I do is take a pot big enough to hold about 6-8 cups of distilled water, add the fenugreek (about 2 or 3 heaping Tbs only as any more than this and it would be too thick), bring to a boil and add the oils. Let simmer for 1 minute, strain and use in whatever powder mixes I want to use at the time. Store the remainder in the fridge to use later. I always bring it to a boil when I am ready to use the leftover batch in the fridge.

Last edited:
You're welcomed FL. No I don't use any other powders when I make the fenugreek rinse. I like to make it separately and add it boiled to other powders as I need it. I tend to make a large batch that lasts me a while and I simply boil it a little at a time and add it to my powder mixes when I need to put them in my hair.

I find that the best oil I have used in my fenugreek tea rinse is coconut oil and sometimes I'd add shikakai or amla oil. The coconut oil makes the rinse a little more sleek and smooth on my hair.

So you boil the oil also?

Aggie, you are right. This must be it, it felt like it was still in my hair and I couldn't believe it. I will have to reevaluate the situation.

Wow CurlyMoo, you need to get on top of this right away if you can. Try washing out a few more times and DC overnight. to get the suppleness back in your hair honey.

question about Indigo:

So its okay if the packaging says "black Henna" correct? I have once jar of Indigo from moutainroseherbs and another from the indian store in NYC (starts with a K, around 6th ave). Has anyone gotten Indigo from these places? I know they say indigo should look like powered peas and both do so I think I should be okay. My main concern is 1. Does the expiration date matter? I don't know when they expire although I have had both for 6 months. 2. Can you combine? As in if I use one package and run out can I use the other package from the different company???

thanks in advance for help!

Yesterday I dced with AM, TJ Nourish spa, Motions CPR, Nettle, Horsetail, Bhrami, Bhringraj, Amla & Fenugreek. I tried Muffin's method of Dissolving the Fenugreek in boiling water first. I used only a tablespoon of powder & kept adding boiling water till I got a smooth paste, THEN I mixed in my other herbs & cond. It rinsed MUCH easier.:yep: Thanks Muffin!!:blowkiss:
Another thing, I think I was underestimating the fact that this herb (Fenugreek) is also used as a thickener, that is until I noticed how one spoon turned to almost a 1/4 cup when mixed with liquid. This along with the fact it releases mucilage plus needing HOT liquid to help it dissolve is why I was getting the glue like consistency. I was using nowhere near the amount of liquid needed to smooth this stuff out.:ohwell: It was sorta like adding water to cornstarch. I just kept growing:blush: So the conclusion for smoother rinsing (for me anyway) less powder, more liquid (HOT) then add cond.

:yep:, I noticed this too and had to adjust my measurements for the fenugreek tea rinse myself a while back. It was a bit spooky to see how much it swelled as it boiled on the stove:grin::lachen:.

question about Indigo:

So its okay if the packaging says "black Henna" correct? I have once jar of Indigo from moutainroseherbs and another from the indian store in NYC (starts with a K, around 6th ave). Has anyone gotten Indigo from these places? I know they say indigo should look like powered peas and both do so I think I should be okay. My main concern is 1. Does the expiration date matter? I don't know when they expire although I have had both for 6 months. 2. Can you combine? As in if I use one package and run out can I use the other package from the different company???

Ihave not used any of the powders you are referring to but I do know that mountainroseherbs.com sells a lot of natural and organic products so it should be okay and I see no reason why you should not be able to combine them even though the brand is different. The product is the same, afterall, I mixed two different brands of henna and still got amazing results.

:thought:Aggie, girl you are about to have me experimenting....... Tomorrow is my day off and I have some oils I would like to use up. I know my dd is gonna say what are you up to now.:lachen:Our families get a good laugh at some of the stuff we do and mix up, but I myself will have the last laugh when I reach WL!!!:yay:Anyhoo I'll let you know how it turns out. How long do you usually store it before it goes bad?

Last edited:
:thought:Aggie, girl you are about to have me experimenting....... Tomorrow is my day off and I some oils I would like to use up. I know my dd is gonna say what are you up to now.:lachen:Our families get a good laugh at some of the stuff we do and mix up, but I myself will have the last laugh when I reach WL!!!:yay:Anyhoo I'll let you know how it turns out. How long do you usually store it before it goes bad?

I've kept mine in the fridge for up to a month but it starts to lose it's potency after that time IMO. If you can use it up in 3 weeks, that would be better.

ETA: Yes please let me know what results you get from it. Thanks honey.

I clarified and conditioned my hair for 15 minutes with MT (for additional strength) and AO HSR, Now I am henna'ing my hair for 2 hours followed with indigo on my hairline mostly for another 2 hours. (I will use some porosity control conditioner on my hair today as well). I will then DC with CON Ultra Nourishing Conditioner mixed with a little AO HSR for 3 hours, possibly overnight.

So I guess I'm joining this support thread. I bought Mustard oil, shikakai oil, amla oil, brahmi oil, heenara hair wash packs, kalpi tone, indigo, and henna.
Not to mention that I just finished hennaing and indigoing my hair! It turned out really well! It's nice and black n shiny :)

I'm thinking of using the oils as a scalp blend. I bought some applicator bottles.
I'm so excited..I can't wait for all that stuff to arrive :D

I henna's again today. My SO saw the bowl and box of Henna and says "Don't tell me you're going to put that 'chocolate stuff' in your hair again".:rolleyes: I'm going to follow up with Indigo this time (I didn't the last 2 times I henna'd).

I added more Brahmi and Maka powders to my mix this time. My scalp tingles today, I don't understand why because I didn't add EO's to my mix this time.

Last edited:
Hey ladies. Just wanted to share the results of my ayurvedic paste. I decided to conduct an experiment and made my paste equal parts Hibiscus, Brahmi, Amla, and Fenugreek powder. I LOVED the results! I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the fenugreek powder. It provided tons of slip and made my hair super soft. Here's a link to the fotki album. In it I explain exactly what I did. Thanks so much for all your advice :). I'll post some more pictures of the complete result when my hair finishes drying.

http://public.fotki.com/ccmuffingirl/hair-stuff/ayurvedic-paste-hib/
Your hair looks beautiful. I will try this mix after I'm done with this current stretch.

Hmmm, very interesting and easy. I likey:grin::yep:.
Me too! I use tea bags to make my tea rinses but I make them 3 nights a week for the next morning. I need to invest in mason jars and put those bad boys in the fridge. According to another one of your posts Aggie I believe it will keep for 3 weeks right?

Your hair looks beautiful. I will try this mix after I'm done with this current stretch.

Me too! I use tea bags to make my tea rinses but I make them 3 nights a week for the next morning. I need to invest in mason jars and put those bad boys in the fridge. According to another one of your posts Aggie I believe it will keep for 3 weeks right?

Yes that is correct. Mine kept well for three weeks and then I to noticed that it wasn't acting right at the fourth week - started to smell a tiny bit off too. But remember to put some kind of essential oil like rosemary to help it keep for the 3 weeks. I don't have the real rosemary oil extract which is an actual preservative so I substitute with rosemary eo. I hate making the teas every week so if I can help it, why not? At the very minimum, I need to make teas to last at least 2 weeks at a time.

Last edited:
question about Indigo:

Have any relaxed heads used "Black Henna"? Isn't this what's called "compound henna" and bad for relaxed hair?

Ladies, It had been awhile since I had done a treatment. 6 wks to be exact. So, on Sat I pre-poo with my oils, shikkai and amla/brahmin for about 6 hrs. I prepared my normal mixture of powders and applied it to my hair for 30 min. When I rinsed it out this time, my hair did not have that oh so soft feeling as it has in the past. My hair seemed to be fused together. But anyway, I just proceeded to co-wash and follow with my deep cond and it soften right up. The only thing I did different this time was not sleep over night in the oil and used amla/brahmin when in the past I only used pure amla oil. I ordered this amla/brahmin oil in error. I will continue to do my ayurvedic treatment, but only after oil has been on my hair overnight. I need to order some amla oil as well. Anyone have any problems like this?

Ladies, It had been awhile since I had done a treatment. 6 wks to be exact. So, on Sat I pre-poo with my oils, shikkai and amla/brahmin for about 6 hrs. I prepared my normal mixture of powders and applied it to my hair for 30 min. When I rinsed it out this time, my hair did not have that oh so soft feeling as it has in the past. My hair seemed to be fused together. But anyway, I just proceeded to co-wash and follow with my deep cond and it soften right up. The only thing I did different this time was not sleep over night in the oil and used amla/brahmin when in the past I only used pure amla oil. I ordered this amla/brahmin oil in error. I will continue to do my ayurvedic treatment, but only after oil has been on my hair overnight. I need to order some amla oil as well. Anyone have any problems like this?

What's in your powder mix?
I can't leave Shikakai on my hair longer than 10/15 mins. I tried to mix it in my powder/cond. mixes and let it sit like I do the others.:nono: This was a def. nono for me. My hair wasn't hard, but it was like all the other conds./ powders saved my hair from being a brittle mess. I wasn't the usual butter soft I'm used to after a treatment. Also I've found out I can on use about a 1/2 teaspoon of Shikakai in my mix. It's very drying to my hair, so I have to use it in super small doses. Another thing I noticed my hair isn't as soft when I add Amla, because it is acidic. I use this in moderation as well. Maybe you need to tweak your recipe. Also I never prepoo overnight and I still have great results. Right now I'm currently in love with the Shikakai bar.

Yes that is correct. Mine kept well for three weeks and then I to noticed that it wasn't acting right at the fourth week - started to smell a tiny bit off too. But remember to put some kind of essential oil like rosemary to help it keep for the 3 weeks. I don't have the real rosemary oil extract which is an actual preservative so I substitute with rosemary eo. I hate making the teas every week so if I can help it, why not? At the very minimum, I need to make teas to last at least 2 weeks at a time.

Wow three weeks, I thought it was good for 3 days (LOL) so I've been wasting mine and using too much. I make a gallon and use it for two days of wash. I've obviously wasting good products and using too much but no hair damage.

What's in your powder mix?
I can't leave Shikakai on my hair longer than 10/15 mins. I tried to mix it in my powder/cond. mixes and let it sit like I do the others.:nono: This was a def. nono for me. My hair wasn't hard, but it was like all the other conds./ powders saved my hair from being a brittle mess. I wasn't the usual butter soft I'm used to after a treatment. Also I've found out I can on use about a 1/2 teaspoon of Shikakai in my mix. It's very drying to my hair, so I have to use it in super small doses. Another thing I noticed my hair isn't as soft when I add Amla, because it is acidic. I use this in moderation as well. Maybe you need to tweak your recipe. Also I never prepoo overnight and I still have great results. Right now I'm currently in love with the Shikakai bar.

My mix is
3 Tbls Amla Powder
1 Tbls Shikkai Powder
3 capfuls amla oil
1 capful coconut oil (vatika)
hot water

This is the mix i have used in the past and my hair was buttery soft like you stated before even adding the cond. I have a shakakai bar that I have yet to use. Is this bar stripping, because I don't want it to remove my color rinse.

My mix is
3 Tbls Amla Powder
1 Tbls Shikkai Powder
3 capfuls amla oil
1 capful coconut oil (vatika)
hot water

This is the mix i have used in the past and my hair was buttery soft like you stated before even adding the cond. I have a shakakai bar that I have yet to use. Is this bar stripping, because I don't want it to remove my color rinse.

Sorry, the electrician was here. I had my power temp. shut down. Anyway. I not sure if the bar is stripping, I have only used it twice. I can def. tell you it coating. It's kinda like a weird film, but yet left my hair soft and suuuuuper strong, almost rope like. Kinda like when I do a Henna treatment. I did a dc both time afterward and my hair was perfect. It's crazy because it got softer & softer as it dried. Someone with fine hair might need to do a acv rinse afterwards. This bar is a def. keeper for me, because I can reap the benefits of the strengthening properties of the Shikakai, without the dryness. BTW I did this on oiled hair.

Sorry, the electrician was here. I had my power temp. shut down. Anyway. I not sure if the bar is stripping, I have only used it twice. I can def. tell you it coating. It's kinda like a weird film, but yet left my hair soft and suuuuuper strong, almost rope like. Kinda like when I do a Henna treatment. I did a dc both time afterward and my hair was perfect. It's crazy because it got softer & softer as it dried. Someone with fine hair might need to do a acv rinse afterwards. This bar is a def. keeper for me, because I can reap the benefits of the strengthening properties of the Shikakai, without the dryness. BTW I did this on oiled hair.

Have you used the aritha bar? One other thing. Do you pre-poo with oil before using the bars?

Have you used the aritha bar? One other thing. Do you pre-poo with oil before using the bars?

Sorry, I'm just seeing this. No I haven't tried the Aritha bar. I stopped using the powder altogether, so I have to admit I never thought of trying it. Yes I do the Shikakai bar on preoiled hair & dc after with cond. mixed with Bhrami/Bhringraj.:lick:

Ok, I'm loving the strength the Shikakai bar is giving me. And how soft my hair feels when it dries. I don't want to over do a good thing, but I want to use it more than once a week. Anyone tried this several times a week? If so what were your results?

Back