Ayurveda Support Thread

OK - So henna has not changed my hair texture. I have been waiting to see that - no looser texture. Just dryness and split ends sticking out :perplexed:

Not a good look.....

I plan to henna one more time... in order to get Indigo black hair - But - that will be it for me. :nono:

Other powders and herbs work well for me - so I will sticj with them.

Use some kind of porosity control LM. I also mix quite a bit of amla powder in my henna glosses to loosen up my new growth followed by lots of deep conditioning. Sorry the henna didn't work you though.

Hi Lady Aggie, how are you?

I am wondering about the oiling and conditioning treatment used aong with the henna, and since it's a first application, I am not convinced it works right away the first time. It doesn't eventually change some, but there have been a few people who said the henna has changed their hair either (a small percentage). Did you use Jamila LM? and use any oil or conditioning? Sorry if I missed that...

OK - So henna has not changed my hair texture. I have been waiting to see that - no looser texture. Just dryness and split ends sticking out :perplexed:

Not a good look.....

I plan to henna one more time... in order to get Indigo black hair - But - that will be it for me. :nono:

Other powders and herbs work well for me - so I will sticj with them.

Sorry to hear that. What brand of Henna are you using? Maybe different brands have different affects. Idunno.

Hi Lady Aggie, how are you?

I am wondering about the oiling and conditioning treatment used aong with the henna, and since it's a first application, I am not convinced it works right away the first time. It doesn't eventually change some, but there have been a few people who said the henna has changed their hair either (a small percentage). Did you use Jamila LM? and use any oil or conditioning? Sorry if I missed that...
I used henna from www.fromnaturewithlove.com but they are presently out of henna. I don't need any just yet so I'll be ordering more maybe in the fall of of this year.

I must say though I am unsure of whatyou are asking me. Could you please elaborate on what you are referring to?

Sorry Aggie, I just meant to say how are you doing.

I meant the second paragraph to be a reponse to LM. I should have written their name there. Sorry about that!

Sorry Aggie, I just meant to say how are you doing.

I meant the second paragraph to be a reponse to LM. I should have written their name there. Sorry about that!

Okay Khadija, gotcha and I'm doing well by the way. I picked up my indigo yesterday and can't wait to use it. My hair is braided down for a while so unsure of when I'll use it.

Last edited:
Can someone help with a Henna problem?

I did my first Henna on Sunday. I used Nupur Henna, Indigo, and Amla. I love the way it turned out as far as color. It is a dark chocolate brown. The problem is my grey hair. I have quite a bit in the front and it turned out a kinda bronze color. That was OK but now a few days later it is straight up orange. It's almost like the color faded or something. It is not cute at all.

Did I miss something in the process that caused this? I mixed the Henna, let color release and them mixed Indigo. After ten mins I added it and Amla to Henna and I also added some Maka oil. Left on three hours no heat.

I'm not sure what I can do about it. If I do a two step process I think I will get black hair and I want it to stay dark brown. Any ideas?
TIA

Can someone help with a Henna problem?

I did my first Henna on Sunday. I used Nupur Henna, Indigo, and Amla. I love the way it turned out as far as color. It is a dark chocolate brown. The problem is my grey hair. I have quite a bit in the front and it turned out a kinda bronze color. That was OK but now a few days later it is straight up orange. It's almost like the color faded or something. It is not cute at all.

Did I miss something in the process that caused this? I mixed the Henna, let color release and them mixed Indigo. After ten mins I added it and Amla to Henna and I also added some Maka oil. Left on three hours no heat.

I'm not sure what I can do about it. If I do a two step process I think I will get black hair and I want it to stay dark brown. Any ideas?
TIA

Try using just the indigo by itself to darken the greys. How did you mix your indigo to begin with before adding to the henna?

I mixed with hot water and a little salt. I let it sit for a little bit and then mixed with Henna and Amla.

First off, I never let my indigo sit for any length of time. I immediately apply it to my hair after mixing and my hair comes out really really black. It's not like actual henna that it would need releasing time because it doesn't. Try adding it in immediately after mixing and see what happens.

I copied and pasted my recipe and method here and I am a very detailed person so sorry it's so long. There really isn't a whole lot to it though.

Here it is:

My Indigo Mixture for After-Henna Treatment

I only do a very simple indigo mixture as indigo does not co-operate well with a lot of other powders and conditioners or oils. So here is my simple Indigo recipe:

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
--200 grams, ie, 2 boxes (about 7oz) of indigo
--Distilled water (hot but not boiling water)
--.5 Tablespoons of sea salt
--plastic wrap
--foil wrap
--newspaper to spread on the floor during application
--Old dark towel for shoulders
--Paper towels to wipe up excess spills/droplets of indigo paste

RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS:

-Mix all the ingredients in a plastic bowl to the consistency of a thick yogurt-like paste. Please note: I make sure my hair is air dried after the henna treatment and free of any shampoo, conditioner and oils.

-I apply the indigo to my henna-ed hair from roots to tips immediately after mixing. The indigo color does not have to release, it must be applied right away because it will lose it's coloring properties if allowed to sit too long.

-I then wrap my hair air-tight for 1-2 hours with plastic wrap and foil wrap.

-I then wash out the indigo with lots of water and cheapie conditioner for at least 8-10 times.

-I end the whole process with deep conditioning for at least 3-4 hours - half of the time with heat and half without. Sometimes I will sleep with my DC on my hair overnight depending on whether or not it's on a weekend and I have the time.

UPDATE:
MY HAIR CAME OUT PRETTY BLACK THIS TIME. I LOVED IT!!!

For my next treatment I might mix the henna and indigo together. I really wanted my hair black this time, hence the separate applications. Indigo is very hard to apply. It does not behave well during application, it drops all over the place and neither does it stick to the hair like henna does.

So I think it's better for me to mix the henna and indigo together before application. What I will do during my next treatment is to let my henna color release overnight, then mix and add the indigo just before I apply the mix to damp hair for easy application - Leave it on for about 3-5 hours, rinse out with cheapie conditioners, and deep condition for 3 hours or more.

Aggie

Last edited:
Thanks Aggie

I will try it this way next week when I henna again. I wanted to stay dark brown but I guess the only way to cover this grey is to go black.

Thanks Aggie

I will try it this way next week when I henna again. I wanted to stay dark brown but I guess the only way to cover this grey is to go black.

You're welcomed Lady D. I had better results covering my grays with the 2-step henna and indigo treatment than combined myself. Just make sure you concentrate applying the indigo on your grays pretty good to get total coverage.

Aggie has a really good recipe and method LadyD2U, but I just wanted to ask what were your indigo to henna proportions used? The indigo can shade off for some, especially at first when the hair hasn't had many herbal applications. The greys in the front can be a little tough too.

If the recipe and proportions aren't good, then do a two step process. If it were me personally I'd give the two step another shot first, before deciding on going to black. It's harder to go backwards from a dark tone to a lighter one. or at least do a small mix again and do a root touch up where it didn't take so not as much product is used.

I have a question for you ladies and I hope this is the right place for it. I have been using Amla oil for three months now, I use it at night and wash it off at the morning. Now what I have noticed is that my hair texture is acting up, I have curls at front of my hair and at my nape too but all over my head my ng has turned to wavy?? Yesterday it just hit me that it could be caused by Amla oil..

Now my question is this: have any of you experienced texture change by using Amla oil or even hared of it or read it?

I really love the oil it will be sad to stop it, am going natural and losing hair texture is not one of my goals..

I have a question for you ladies and I hope this is the right place for it. I have been using Amla oil for three months now, I use it at night and wash it off at the morning. Now what I have noticed is that my hair texture is acting up, I have curls at front of my hair and at my nape too but all over my head my ng has turned to wavy?? Yesterday it just hit me that it could be caused by Amla oil..

Now my question is this: have any of you experienced texture change by using Amla oil or even hared of it or read it?

I really love the oil it will be sad to stop it, am going natural and losing hair texture is not one of my goals..

I don't know about the wavy hair, but Amla is said ti increase texture. I know some people use it to help bring texture back to curls that have been loosened from Henna.

I know amla powder tightens my curls i.e. after using something that losens the curl pattern like bentonite clay or cassia, using amla afterwards tightens it up again ... I'm not too sure of the oil though.

Amla oil does make my new growth seem a little less tight. I love the results so much that I keep touching it.

I'm almost 4 hours into my first Henna application, I'm going to rinse at 11:45am est....I never ordered the Indigo so we'll see if I like what happens with the Henna alone. Wish me luck ladies...

ETA: If I do like outcome after the Henna finishes Oxidizing, how often can I or should I repeat this safely?

Last edited:
Thanks Khadija...I was waiting for you, Aggie and/or FL to respond....I've DC'd, and now I'm under the dryer with my twists for my twist out. I can def see the color in my grey, lol....I can say that my hair feels pretty good. I added Maka to my Henna mix along with a little amla oil. We'll see how the rest of my hair hair responds to the color and I'll report back in a few days after giving it time to oxidize.

Can't wait to hear. You're welcome! I am around today. It's just pouring up here, and we even had hail come down earlier. No point to go anymore.

Did you take any before and after shots? Would love to see those

I have some pics of my last twist out (which is the bigger pic in my siggy) from earlier this week and I'm going to take some tomorrow as well as a few days from now to see if there will be noticeable changes in the color.
I was over here uploading pics to my photo bucket of my NG that I just took while twisting my hair. I'm looking at them thinking, "those waves/curls (whatever u want to call'em) are why I have hand in hair syndrome."

Hope your weather breaks soon....

Will look out to seeing new pics and your update.

Yeah hope the weather breaks too. The sun is out now, but it's still supposed to rain again. Spring time :)

Do you guys recommend that I mix Henna with Amla and Brahmi? I'm going to use it for the first time today and would love to add it for the strengthening and conditioning effects.

Do you guys recommend that I mix Henna with Amla and Brahmi? I'm going to use it for the first time today and would love to add it for the strengthening and conditioning effects.

I've seen others mix Amla. I mixed Maka with mine today....so far so good. I don't see why Brahmi and Amla wouldn't be ok, they since they are both so conditioning.

I've seen others mix Amla. I mixed Maka with mine today....so far so good. I don't see why Brahmi and Amla wouldn't be ok, they since they are both so conditioning.

Thank you, how much do you think I should mix? I plan on using half of the Amla and half of Brahmi. Should I go half in the Henna or just a few spoonfuls. And for how long should I let it sit. I have an iron bowel I'm going to mix it in. And how do you follow up your Ayurveda treatment? When you rinse it out?

Thank you, how much do you think I should mix? I plan on using half of the Amla and half of Brahmi. Should I go half in the Henna or just a few spoonfuls. And for how long should I let it sit. I have an iron bowel I'm going to mix it in. And how do you follow up your Ayurveda treatment? When you rinse it out?

I added Brahmi, Maka, and Amla (I used a few teaspoons of each) to my last Henna and I haven't had any problems. I let mine sit in a plastic bowl for about six hours (I had to leave home to deliver a load).

I used a cheapie condish to rinse it out and DC'd overnight. I used a moisturizer and sealed with castor oil. My hair turned out soft and strong.:up:

Platnium, has it down packed. I could not have said it better. Her regimen is great!

But keep in mind what henna you are using for dye release timings. For henna from India the six hours is good, but it can be from 2 hours and on too. I usually do 2 hours, and same for Yemeni henna.

Be careful with any plastics as they are pourous and do absorb it. I personally use stainless steel. But my mixing spatula is done for :) lol!

I cover it with saran and leave it when its sitting, and cover my head with a Burt's Bees shower cap.

Mixing in any herbs you'd like would be fine. If you want the red of henna, don't over use the amla powder then, as amla powder tones down the red of henna.

Platnium, has it down packed. I could not have said it better. Her regimen is great!

But keep in mind what henna you are using for dye release timings. For henna from India the six hours is good, but it can be from 2 hours and on too. I usually do 2 hours, and same for Yemeni henna.

Be careful with any plastics as they are pourous and do absorb it. I personally use stainless steel. But my mixing spatula is done for :) lol!

I cover it with saran and leave it when its sitting, and cover my head with a Burt's Bees shower cap.

Mixing in any herbs you'd like would be fine. If you want the red of henna, don't over use the amla powder then, as amla powder tones down the red of henna.

I got this Henna from a local Indian store:

AfshanHennaPowder_807668_large_3043.jpg

Here's what the package says:

Since ancient times besides conventional uses Henna is also being used for the beautification and strengthening of Hair. By the using of Afshan Mehndi the hair become colourful, shiny and thick.

Mode of application:

Mix Afshan Mehndi Powder with some hot water. Apply the obtained Paste on your just washed hair. Let it dry completely. Then rinse out your hair with plenty of water. Remember warmth and time give the best results from mehndi powder.

NOTE: Use 1/3 pack for short hair, the whole pack for very long hair.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For now I just want to add some to my Amla/Brahmi mix for extra strengthening and conditioning.

From Pakistan, do let the henna powder sit at least 6-8 hours or even overnight. It should be okay to use, but of course the obvious things would be that we don't know how fresh the henna is, like what the color results would be (meaning how intense or not it would be), and the sift most likely won't be as great. If you can do a hair strand test to be safe.

Back