Ayurveda Support Thread

I have my last bit of henna that I added a big gob of Loreal Mega Moisture Conditioner to on my hair right now. I will be letting my stylist give me another trim tomorrow and can't wait to see what I'll look like. I'll follow up this henna treatment with some AO HSR mixed with a little honey and hot EVOO and will keep it in overnight, wash out in the morning and will be going to my stylist with a wig over shower cap on wet hair and all she has to do is give me a color rinse and trim and I'll be outta there.

My gray hairs are really resisting color now so we'll see what happens tomorrow. I think my henna might be a little old so I'll throw it out and buy some more. I don't think it's wise to buy the amount of henna I did the last time (5lbs). I didn't go through it fast enough obviously so next time I'll just buy a kilo at at time which is about 2.2lbs. That should be enough for about a year providing I'm henna'ing my hair at least once every 4-6 weeks.

I have to admit those shampoo bars are seeming amazing. you know I gotta make some recipes up myself :) anyhow soon enough!!

Yes I'd recommend using the bars, especially the mositurizing ones, like with coconut oil or coconut milk.

I'm also only reading this now, so did I miss something someone had asked. Can you please repeat it, if you never got an answer?

I have a question ladies, I'm thinking of trying to Henna again this weekend, however, after my first Henna I didn't notice much of a change to my hair color, didn't get lighter much at all, except the gray's of course. My question is did I do something wrong, below is what I used in my mix:

100g Jamila Henna
1tbls Maka Powder
a few drops of Amla added after dye release

I DC'd after and did a twist out, my hair felt great afterwards, but again there wasn't any change in the color so I'm wondering if adding the amla is where I went wrong or if there could be another reason or maybe I shouldn't have expected to see much of a difference in color......

Is it amla hair oil? You can actually add it when you mix your recipe and let it all sit together. If you add it at the end it shouldn't make a difference either though.

Your recipe sounds fine. Your hair is kind of dark, from the pics, so the reddish tones would come up a little more so in the light, and yes your greys would get the most color.

My question is how long did you let the jamila henna sit out for?

Do this test for your henna to check for dye release:
http://hennablogspot.com/fool-proof-testing-of-your-henna-paste/

Is it amla hair oil? You can actually add it when you mix your recipe and let it all sit together. If you add it at the end it shouldn't make a difference either though.

Okay this makes me feel better about my experience Monday. I really wanted to try Indigo. I mixed henna, some amla powder, and about a teaspoon of amla oil with not water and let it sit. It was only after that I realized people add the oil after. Next time I will also let it sit for longer because I let it sit for about 6 hours..I will only let it sit near heat.

Anyway, the henna worked because especially my edges were brown. Then I tried the Indigo which went pretty well. The only thing I will do next time is add more water because it helps everything goes on easier.

I really like how it came out but it was not easy to wash out. There are still little bits coming out my hair no matter how much I wash (I'm natural so that may be mart of it). I'm going to do it again in two months because I want my hair to remain black and hopefully get darker.

Cutie, it sounds really nice though. I know washing out can be a pain, for anyone really. Especially if the sift of the powder isn't that great. Indigo is usually not too bad with its sift but henna powders can vary more with their sift. Like Jamila being the best and yemeni being okay but still fibery.

Yeah indigo is a pain to mix. You have to use so much water and it dries much faster than henna after dye release.

The lady in the store told me not to shampoo after Henna. Rinse out. Then she said put coconut oil on and a hot towel.

My latest Ayurveda shopping.

IMG_1665.jpg

hhmmm interesting tips Zeal. That's why I like that we can be so open minded about henna and herbs. There is just not one way to do it. I always shampoo afterwards though,,,,wonder without shampoo-ing what the difference would be.

I pre poo with alma oil, and add the brahmi and shikakai powder to my conditioner. I'm starting my next wash, which will be on Thursday. I'm hoping this will help my hair to grow on my long stretch challenge.:yep:

I shampooed on my last henna treatment and found that it dried less stiff, even after using moisturizer. I don't mind because I don't do it for color; I indigo too. I think that people who do it for color benefit more by not shampooing after.

it seems that way too. Like no champpo is betetr for not washing out the color too quick.

Why do you use indigo then, if you don't want color, hericane?

I think I read somewhere that Amla causes relaxer reversion. Has anyone experienced this?

I love amla powder and I like it's effect on my hair. It tends to give my new growth hairs a slightly relaxed effect in my opinion. If you use anything with water within 3 days of your relaxer, it will slightly revert because it is still being neutralized during this time but afterwards, it should be fine.

Question, for you Aggie! I finally bought those jars for making teas to keep in the refridge. Since I make tea bags how many would you suggest per jar?

Question, for you Aggie! I finally bought those jars for making teas to keep in the refridge. Since I make tea bags how many would you suggest per jar?

I'd say about 4 teabags per 12 oz of liquid. I'd imagine that the teabags are pretty small, correct?

For amla powder, it usually adds volume, bounce/curl to your hair depending on how much you use. The more you use the more the affect. It is also a good herb for hair growth, and the oil even more so.

For amla powder, it usually adds volume, bounce/curl to your hair depending on how much you use. The more you use the more the affect. It is also a good herb for hair growth, and the oil even more so.

Totally agree. I love amla powder and oil. They really make my new growth hair very soft and pretty.

I still have a few boxes of Amla Powder left. I had been using Brahmi and Maka for strength and moisture. I stopped using Amla because I read that someone had experienced reversion but now that I'm transitioning, I don't mind.

Hi flowinlocks, my hair seems to be dry and thirsty. Do you think it is because of my mixture? I use Brahmi, Kalpi Tone, Amla. I want to try something moisturizing.[/quote

Sorry I just saw this, what are you using as your base to mix it with?

Something mositurizing would be like a good coconut oil with a lot of herbal extracts in them that are beneficial to the hair. There is an oil out there like that.

So ladies, are these powders acidic. My hair loves an ACV rinse before conditioning. Will I be able to do this? Is it necessary?

Back