Ayurveda Support Thread

Something mositurizing would be like a good coconut oil with a lot of herbal extracts in them that are beneficial to the hair. There is an oil out there like that.

Ramtirith brahmi oil is one. It is excellent!!!! It's base is coconut oil with a mixture of brahmi and different ayurvedic herbal extracts.

Any reviews on the Hesh Shikakai oil?

I use it to pre poo with but I don't really like how it feels or smells on my hair. It does not go on as smoothly as amla, brahmi, vatika, or bhringraj oils. I don't think I will be buying it again. The bolded are my favorite ayurveda oils right now. In leiu of the vatika, I use extra virgin coconut oil now. It smells better to me and has a lot more value, uses and benefits than the vatika oil.

I've read so many threads tonight that I feel like I'm loosing it. So, after doing an ayurvedic rinse, am I NOT suppose to comb my hair? What about after I DC, can I comb it then?

I've read so many threads tonight that I feel like I'm loosing it. So, after doing an ayurvedic rinse, am I NOT suppose to comb my hair? What about after I DC, can I comb it then?

You shouldn't comb while the rinse is in the hair, but once its out, feel free.

I need some advice. My mother was impressed with the results I've gotten from henna, so I started applying treatments to her hair, too.
She is not satisfied with her results after three treatments. She has very coarse, resistant gray hair which is now deep burgundy and rust color. the first treatment was just henna+coffee. The second two were henna+indigo, one-step process, because she doesn't want black, she wants brown hair.
So what can I do now? She is ready to give up and use a permanent chemical color over the henna. Is this safe? Should we do another henna+indigo?

If it makes a difference, I ordered the henna and indigo from henna sooq, so Khadija if you have any suggestions, I'd love to have your expertise.:yep:

I need some advice. My mother was impressed with the results I've gotten from henna, so I started applying treatments to her hair, too.
She is not satisfied with her results after three treatments. She has very coarse, resistant gray hair which is now deep burgundy and rust color. the first treatment was just henna+coffee. The second two were henna+indigo, one-step process, because she doesn't want black, she wants brown hair.
So what can I do now? She is ready to give up and use a permanent chemical color over the henna. Is this safe? Should we do another henna+indigo?

If it makes a difference, I ordered the henna and indigo from henna sooq, so Khadija if you have any suggestions, I'd love to have your expertise.:yep:

You might want to post your question here http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=335111&highlight=henna
or try pming her.

I tried henna for the first time yesterday. The mixture stank like heck (probably the coffee and acv). DD walked by as I was mixing it and said, "hmmm...that looks like poop...are you actually gonna put that in your hair?" Of course I gave her the "death ray" her and kept right on mixing. I let it sit for two hours. Applied it to my dry hair and left it on for 3 hours(I couldn't wait any longer).

I anticipated having a hard time rinsing it, but it rinsed right out. I co-washed and oh my goodness! It combed out like a dream with very little hair loss! I didn't DC and I think I should have because it looks dry and feels soft.

I'll co-wash again tonight and maybe do a full head baggy.

Next I'd like to try the indigo. It looks like I'll need to order it online because the indian market didn't have any. :-(

I finally made my ayurveda tea spritzer yesterday and have already spritzed it on my hair twice.

I made for a herbal rinse base of sage, basil, rosemary, and thyme leaves and fenugreek seed powder.

I let that steep for over 8 hours, strained and mixed it in with bramhi, kalpi tone, amla powders, and a few drops of rosemary essential oil.

I got about 18oz of tea and added it to two 12oz spray bottles - I will be spritzing my cornrows with the mix daily.

Mix henna and indigo to dye hair reddish brown:

Do use two parts henna to one part indigo.

Mix henna and indigo to dye hair dark brown:

Do the same as above but use one part henna to two parts indigo.

Mix henna and indigo to dye hair very dark brown:

Do the same as above but use one part henna to four parts indigo.

Mix henna and indigo to make henna look less coppery red:

Do the same as above but use four parts henna to one part indigo.

I'm here :) busy weekend

Always shoot me an email directly if you need me too.

I'd also recommend that she up the quantity of indigo to get it darker and add amla powder. As amla powder does darken up the recipe some and tone down the red.

For her hair she may want to look into a good hair oil that has coconut in it, and perhaps a shampoo bar that would help soften her hair and add moisturization to it. Let us know if she tries this and it helps

I use it to pre poo with but I don't really like how it feels or smells on my hair. It does not go on as smoothly as amla, brahmi, vatika, or bhringraj oils. I don't think I will be buying it again. The bolded are my favorite ayurveda oils right now. In leiu of the vatika, I use extra virgin coconut oil now. It smells better to me and has a lot more value, uses and benefits than the vatika oil.

I don't why I'm just seeing your review, I agree I don't like how it makes my hair feel or the smell of it. I'll use it for prepooing as well. What brand of Amla oil are you using? BTW, I'm covering my ears while you talking about my beloved Vatika.:lachen:

Which oil was not liked?

Some don't smell too great BUT it is easy to add a good essential oil to your oil directly yourself and mask that scent, and you can even add an essential oil that benefits your hair like rosemary or clary sage etc...
That way you can still use the hair oil to get the benefits but adding that essential oil makes a big difference if you don't like the smell.

Which oil was not liked?

Some don't smell too great BUT it is easy to add a good essential oil to your oil directly yourself and mask that scent, and you can even add an essential oil that benefits your hair like rosemary or clary sage etc...
That way you can still use the hair oil to get the benefits but adding that essential oil makes a big difference if you don't like the smell.

The Hesh Shikakai oil, the first 2 ingredients are mineral oil, & vegetable oil. For some strange reason this oil wakes me up. I used the oil at night a few times and it took me forever to go to sleep. the only other ingerdients are Coconut oil ,Castor oil, extract of Shikakai, Amla, Bhrami, Maka, Neem, Jatamansi, perfume and preservatives.

It has a lot of beneficial oils in it/. It is really popular for suppliers in India to want to produce oils with vegetable and mineral oil, plus its cheaper. The suppliers are always trying to push that off on us, but I really wanted to make a more pure oil with a natural base like coconut. They sometimes don't understand OUR needs and what does well here.

It's like Morocco, they make amazing soaps but most of it is animal fat based, and not plant bases that are better for us. They are slowly changing that though

I've almost finished reading this whole thread!
I've been doing Ayurveda for the past few weeks and i really like it, especially the Swastik shikakai bar and the vatika oil.
Yesterday i tried a new pre poo; After sleeping on vatika oil in cling film over night i put a blended mixture of:
half a pot of greek yogurt
2 egg yolks
some olive oil
2 tbsps honey
3 tbsps brahmi powder
3 tbsps amla powder
...i then wrapped in cling film and exercised for an hour before rinsing it out and washing with shikakai bar and dc'ing with the body shop honey conditioner with steam.
My hair feels really soft and it's getting shinier!! And it seems like my hair is growing a bit faster too. I love Ayurveda.

I've almost finished reading this whole thread!
I've been doing Ayurveda for the past few weeks and i really like it, especially the Swastik shikakai bar and the vatika oil.
Yesterday i tried a new pre poo; After sleeping on vatika oil in cling film over night i put a blended mixture of:
half a pot of greek yogurt
2 egg yolks
some olive oil
2 tbsps honey
3 tbsps brahmi powder
3 tbsps amla powder
...i then wrapped in cling film and exercised for an hour before rinsing it out and washing with shikakai bar and dc'ing with the body shop honey conditioner with steam.
My hair feels really soft and it's getting shinier!! And it seems like my hair is growing a bit faster too. I love Ayurveda.

I'm glad it's working for you.:yep: It sounds like your hair is already thanking you. BTW, I might have to try this treatment.:grin:

Bumping with some questions.

I read that the powders are not to be absorbed by the body. Is this true? I was thinking of making a mixture of powders, essential oils, and carrier oils, one of which would be emu, which is known as a pusher oil. Of course, my goal was to help my scalp absorb more of this stuff, but is this a bad idea with ayurvedic powders?

Somewhere way back I read that it is a bad idea to add powders to conditioner. I did not quite understand the explanation; someone said it is because conditioners do not expire as quickly as natural ingredients such as yogurt. Can someone please re-explain this? Is it not okay to add some powders to conditioners and then add in more preservatives so they do not mold over?

Do powders such as shikakai and aritha get rid of cones? Obviously it is better to avoid cones, but I am and always plan to be an occasional heat user.

Just in case I find tulsi too drying for my hair, does anyone have any recipes for using it to clean the face? The same for aritha powder, too! I am wondering if these powders are what I need to clear up my face!

Phew. I think that is all I have for now. Also, thanks to Aggie for answering all of my questions the other night. :)

Bumping with some questions.

I read that the powders are not to be absorbed by the body. Is this true? I was thinking of making a mixture of powders, essential oils, and carrier oils, one of which would be emu, which is known as a pusher oil. Of course, my goal was to help my scalp absorb more of this stuff, but is this a bad idea with ayurvedic powders?

So far I haven't read info relating to this, I use and have made several Ayurvedic oils that include EO and have not had any problems. I have also incorporated Emu oil in my reggie in the past mixed with theses oils, again no problems.

Somewhere way back I read that it is a bad idea to add powders to conditioner. I did not quite understand the explanation; someone said it is because conditioners do not expire as quickly as natural ingredients such as yogurt. Can someone please re-explain this? Is it not okay to add some powders to conditioners and then add in more preservatives so they do not mold over?

If you plan on mixing a big batch you will want to add EO to preserve
it, although I have mixed up batches that I have used up in a few weeks without adding EO and they didn't spoil. You can also store your unused portions in the fridge.

Do powders such as shikakai and aritha get rid of cones? Obviously it is better to avoid cones, but I am and always plan to be an occasional heat user.

:yep: Shikakai and Aritha are both cleansing powders, and will strip the hair if not used properly. I personally have found Aritha to be too drying for my hair. I use cones all the time as well as cowashing and I don't have a problem with build up. I believe the Shikakai helps with this.

Just in case I find tulsi too drying for my hair, does anyone have any recipes for using it to clean the face? The same for aritha powder, too! I am wondering if these powders are what I need to clear up my face!

I have never used either one of theses on my face, but I haved used my Aritha to wash clothes. For acne my dd has used Neem powder to clear it up.

Phew. I think that is all I have for now. Also, thanks to Aggie for answering all of my questions the other night. :)

I hope this info helps you out.

Back