Ayurveda Support Thread

Thanks for the response to my PM FlowinLocks, but I still didn't get the Henna. They had maybe 10 or more different Henna's....I couldn't tell by the packaging which were BAQ and when I asked the owner of the store he was unsure as well, so I decided I'd come back to LHCF to see if anyone had any pics of the BAQ Henna they use so I'll at least have that to go by.

He was out of Brahmi, so I'll have to go back in about a week they should have more by then, however I was able to pick up the following:

BrahmiAmla Oil
Mahabhringraj Oil
Maka Powder
Shikakai bar

I know a lot of ladies use this kind Jamila http://www.henname.net/henna.html
They also say it's easy to rinse. I order my Henna from HennaSooq.
http://www.hennasooq.com/

I know a lot of ladies use this kind Jamila http://www.henname.net/henna.html
They also say it's easy to rinse. I order my Henna from HennaSooq.
http://www.hennasooq.com/

They had this at the store, but I didn't see anything on the packaging that let me know if it was ok to use and the dates were good on the package...I'll pick this up when I go back next week to get the Brahmi they were out of.....
I can't thank you and Aggie enough for all the help you two have given me. I hope you two don't mind hopefully after this I won't have to bother you ladies as much.

They had this at the store, but I didn't see anything on the packaging that let me know if it was ok to use and the dates were good on the package...I'll pick this up when I go back next week to get the Brahmi they were out of.....
I can't thank you and Aggie enough for all the help you two have given me. I hope you two don't mind hopefully after this I won't have to bother you ladies as much.

You're welcome, that's what we're here for to help each other.:yep:

Hey girls, just checking in. I just did a cowash with TJ Nourish Spa, Suave Humectant, Amla, Bhrami, Bhringraj, Nettle, Horsetail, & Shikakai. I think I've mastered the Shikakai for my hair. I've came to the conclusion, that I can only use a half of teaspoon of this particular herb, even when mixed with other powders. Also 15 mins. is the tops for leaving it on my hair. Also I used double the amount of Horsetail this time, since it makes my hair so soft. My hair felt soooo soft & strong after doing this. I did this on dry preoiled hair. Another discover I made was Shikakai seems to be gritty & leaves particles behind not matter how much rinsing with water & cond. afterwards. So I decided to put my powder in my food processor & grind it some more, the end result was a fine milled powder, which I'm sure will rinse easier. Too bad I thought of it after I cowashed.:rolleyes: I think I will try this with my Bhringraj powder as well, because it seems to have bits of stems & sticks in it.

Flowin, you are getting this ayurveda technique down. Thanks for the support and sharing

I prepoo'd with a mixture of 100% aloe vera juice, BrahmiAmla Oil, Mahabhringraj Oil, Shikakai Oil, Amla Oil and EVCO. I added 2 tbs of Maka to my 2pt Brahmi/1pt Amla powder mix. Rinsed with V05 Moisture Milks and co washed using Aussie Moist. I almost didn't DC, but I know better, it was my first time using Maka and I'm happy I made the purchase. My hair felt so good before adding my DC, I can't wait to see how my hair feels when its dry.

Hi Ladies,
What kind of tea rinse is recommend for individual braids? I don't have any itichies going on. Scalp looks pretty good. I did do a henna treatment before I got the braids....
TIA

Wow, you all have such complicated mixes and add ins to your powders. Does anyone just do a traditional indian head bath - oil and then wash with powder with nothing else added in ?

Wow, you all have such complicated mixes and add ins to your powders. Does anyone just do a traditional indian head bath - oil and then wash with powder with nothing else added in ?

Lol, I think most members started out that way, but soon learned new ways to keep the powders from drying out their hair, and also maximize the cond. experience. It's sorta like Ayurveda on steroids:yep: Hey do you have Hibiscus powder in stock?

You're quite welcomed honey and it's not a bother for me at all.

If I mix my powders with conditioner do I need to pre poo with oil?

Actually this is highly recommended. If you have ayurveda oils, that's even better but not absolutely necessary. If you are adding conditioner to your powders, prepoo the scalp for sure to act as a tiny barrier from the conditioner getting on your scalp (which causes itching for me once dried). So when I prepoo my scalp with the oils, it's protected from the conditioner that's mixed in the powders.

I prepoo'd with a mixture of 100% aloe vera juice, BrahmiAmla Oil, Mahabhringraj Oil, Shikakai Oil, Amla Oil and EVCO. I added 2 tbs of Maka to my 2pt Brahmi/1pt Amla powder mix. Rinsed with V05 Moisture Milks and co washed using Aussie Moist. I almost didn't DC, but I know better, it was my first time using Maka and I'm happy I made the purchase. My hair felt so good before adding my DC, I can't wait to see how my hair feels when its dry.

Love the touch with the aloe vera juice Mrs R and you are catching on real fast. Good job:yep:!

Hi Ladies,
What kind of tea rinse is recommend for individual braids? I don't have any itichies going on. Scalp looks pretty good. I did do a henna treatment before I got the braids....
TIA

I'd recommend an amla/brahmi tea mixed in with a small amount of bhringraj or brahmi or coconut/vatika oil, strain, put in a spritzer bottle, shake vigorously and spritz on hair daily. If you do not want to add the oils to the tea then I would recommend very lightly oiling your scalp with the oil instead, followed by spritzing.

No more traditional methods for me Ruchita. It leaves my hair wayyy too dry. The glosses are fantastic.

I'd recommend an amla/brahmi tea mixed in with a small amount of bhringraj or brahmi or coconut/vatika oil, strain, put in a spritzer bottle, shake vigorously and spritz on hair daily. If you do not want to add the oils to the tea then I would recommend very lightly oiling your scalp with the oil instead, followed by spritzing.

Thanks so much.....

I'm kinda leery about purchasing powders from my local indian shop now after reading threads about people using old powder. The boxes don't have any dates. I bought a bottle of Vatika oil that had no date but it came with the little wooden scalp massaging brush, I've read post from about 2 years back where people mentioned that brush coming with their oil.:ohwell: My bottle smells good and it works really well but...I just want to be safe. I don't know if expired Ayurveda powders/oils can eventually have a negative effect on the hair and scalp.

Also someone else said they used a box of henna from a local shop and later they bought the same brand online and the difference was like night and day. I am going to order online and compare (hoping that I get non expired powder from the online vendor:blush:). I cannot wait to try Bhringraj!

Pre oiled my hair today with my special ayurveda oil blend and now I am hennaing my hair overnight.

I henna'ed my jair overnight and I did a 5 minute MT treatment in the shower. Now I'm DCing with 6 conditioners all mixed up together - a little each of AO HSR, Mizani Moisturefuse, Mizani Thermasmooth, Pantene R/N Hair conditioning mask, Salerm 21 Wheat germ mask, and a smidgeon of Tresemme Remoisturize with B5 conditioner all mixed up with epsom salt.

I heated up the epsom salt and tresemme in the microwave for 30 seconds then mixed in the other conditioners and saturated my hair with it. I did this yesterday and it made my new growth very very soft so I thought I'd repeat it today. I will DC for the rest of the day because of the henna treatment I did this morning.

Hi all, I was tryna get thru reading the whole thread before posting but I need some help. I am 4b natural, with APL length hair, my aim is as much growth as I can get. I've had success with henna, but am now trying to grasp other ayurvedic treatments for my hair. I've just gone into micro braids no hair added, and wondered if anyone has done rinses or oil treatments while in braids. I think Sareca once posted about doing an amla rinse while she was in braids. Any recipes/advice? TIA!

Hi all, I was tryna get thru reading the whole thread before posting but I need some help. I am 4b natural, with APL length hair, my aim is as much growth as I can get. I've had success with henna, but am now trying to grasp other ayurvedic treatments for my hair. I've just gone into micro braids no hair added, and wondered if anyone has done rinses or oil treatments while in braids. I think Sareca once posted about doing an amla rinse while she was in braids. Any recipes/advice? TIA!

I make an amla/brahmi/bhringraj/kalpi tone rinse (1 tablespoon each). I mix the powders with 20-24 oz of hot distilled water, let steep overnight, add some amla and brahmi oils (an ounce or 2) to it, put in a spritzer bottle, shake up and spray on my braids daily. The rinse does not last longer than a week on it's own so I add some rosemary essential oils to it as a preservative for it to last a lot longer. Of course, you can always make a lot less than I do, say 8-10 oz at a time instead - just reduce amount of powders and water used.

Whoa, check this out, your double post split in 2 and mine in between them:grin:. I have never seen this happen before:perplexed.

I henna'ed my jair overnight and I did a 5 minute MT treatment in the shower. Now I'm DCing with 6 conditioners all mixed up together - a little each of AO HSR, Mizani Moisturefuse, Mizani Thermasmooth, Pantene R/N Hair conditioning mask, Salerm 21 Wheat germ mask, and a smidgeon of Tresemme Remoisturize with B5 conditioner all mixed up with epsom salt.

I heated up the epsom salt and tresemme in the microwave for 30 seconds then mixed in the other conditioners and saturated my hair with it. I did this yesterday and it made my new growth very very soft so I thought I'd repeat it today. I will DC for the rest of the day because of the henna treatment I did this morning.

Aggie, are you using up your stash and that why 6 conditioners?

I can't wait until I get home. I'm going to do a Brahmi/ Maka (Bhringraj) co wash and DC. I henna'd last week and my hair is so soft and strong. I plan to henna atleast once a month now.

Aggie, are you using up your stash and that why 6 conditioners?

Yes I am ltown. I want to BC my hair now. These bone straight ends are getting on my nerves. I am transitioning to texlaxed hair and I kid you not, my new growth is easier to deal with than my relaxed hair. I never thought I'd say that.....EVER:sad:!!!

I won't BC though but I think I'll have my hairstylist take off quite a bit the next time I'm in her chair. I only have about 1.5" of new growth and I need my hair to stay long enough to at least get into a bun for a while. I ain't lyin' though, I really like touching and playing with my new growth:grin:. I see now why so many naturals finger comb their hair:yep:.

Back