Ayurveda Support Thread

There are so many ayurvedic threads I can't keep track. Learning a lot over here. I also love my powders but what is this hbicuous powder you all speak of ( I hope I spelled it correct)?

Okay, so this past weekend I bought:
Neelibhringadi (coconut oil base)
Afshan Henna Powder
Karishma Herbal Henna
2 bars Swastik Neem Soap
Rose petal powder
Kapor Kachli
Whole Aritha
Mahabhringraj Tail oil
500ml Shikakai Hair Oil
Almond Herbal Hair Oil
Orange Peel Powder
Tulsi(basil) Leaf Powder
2 Kapoor Kachli
2 Maka
Manjishta
Swastik Shikakai (w/marigold & jaswand)
3 boxes Jamila Henna

The man in the store where I bought my whole aritha asked what I planned on using it for. I told him, but then he told me to make a tea and use it as a final rinse for shiny hair. Isn't aritha a cleanser? I want to try his suggestion, but I don't want my hair stripped. Any suggestions?

Afshan Henna Powder
Karishma Herbal Henna
2 bars Swastik Neem Soap
Rose petal powder
Kapor Kachli
Whole Aritha
Mahabhringraj Tail oil
500ml Shikakai Hair Oil
Almond Herbal Hair Oil
Orange Peel Powder
Tulsi(basil) Leaf Powder
2 Kapoor Kachli
2 Maka
Manjishta
3 boxes Jamila Henna

The man in the store where I bought my whole aritha asked what I planned on using it for. I told him, but then he told me to make a tea and use it as a final rinse for shiny hair. Isn't aritha a cleanser? I want to try his suggestion, but I don't want my hair stripped. Any suggestions?

I don't know Eisani, aritha is really very stripping to my hair. I tried just using a half a teaspoon in my mix, and it was still too drying. I have 4a/b hair and my hair simply doesn't like it:nono:. I was going to try it again but haven't gotten the nerve to yet.

Afshan Henna Powder
Karishma Herbal Henna
2 bars Swastik Neem Soap
Rose petal powder
Kapor Kachli
Whole Aritha
Mahabhringraj Tail oil
500ml Shikakai Hair Oil
Almond Herbal Hair Oil
Orange Peel Powder
Tulsi(basil) Leaf Powder
2 Kapoor Kachli
2 Maka
Manjishta
3 boxes Jamila Henna

Aritha is VERY drying, even when my hair is heavily oiled, I have stopped using it altogether, I now use it to wash clothes. just an indication of how strong it is, I poured less than half a box of the powder in a wash & actually got suds, so this let me know based on the powder to water ratio, that even a teaspoon was too much for my hair. It felt hard & stripped every time:nono: Me personally, I def. wouldn't use it as a final rinse on hair that has been rinsed of my oil protection, I think the recommendations the people the stores make are what works for their hair texture.

For those who like to make their own oils...I found a cute little potpourri simmering pot at WalMart for $9.99...they have them back in the crafts section. It holds about a cup of oil (maybe a little more, but not much). It warmed very nicely and didn't scorch.

I had a small crock pot from there with "low" and "high" settings, but even the "low" seemed to be too much heat. And then I broke it when I was moving my fridge to free up the 18 plastic balls my cat had gotten stuck under there... :wallbash:

Anywho, used the simmer pot over the weekend with coconut oil, a little jojoba, and a little castor oil, plus 1/4 cup of shikakai powder. I need to strain it one more time, but I think it came out well. I let it infuse for about 6 hours.

Aritha is VERY drying, even when my hair is heavily oiled, I have stopped using it altogether, I now use it to wash clothes. just an indication of how strong it is, I poured less than half a box of the powder in a wash & actually got suds, so this let me know based on the powder to water ratio, that even a teaspoon was too much for my hair. It felt hard & stripped every time:nono: Me personally, I def. wouldn't use it as a final rinse on hair that has been rinsed of my oil protection, I think the recommendations the people the stores make are what works for their hair texture.
...and see I told him I bought the whole aritha to wash clothes with and he said to only wash wool and other heavy fabrics with it because it was too harsh for lighter fabrics like cotton. This really made me wonder how it could possibly be conditioning if it's too harsh to wash cotton...thanks y'all. I'm not doing that!

ETA: I almost hyperventilated at how cheap everything was! I got a 500 ml bottle of shikakai hair oil + 25% more free for $5.99! My mahabhringraj oil was $4.99, Neelibhringdai $5.99, almond herbal oil $3.99. All of the soaps and powders ranged from $1 to $1.99.

Last edited:
Afshan Henna Powder
Karishma Herbal Henna
2 bars Swastik Neem Soap
Rose petal powder
Kapor Kachli
Whole Aritha
Mahabhringraj Tail oil
500ml Shikakai Hair Oil
Almond Herbal Hair Oil
Orange Peel Powder
Tulsi(basil) Leaf Powder
2 Kapoor Kachli
2 Maka
Manjishta
3 boxes Jamila Henna

Man Eisani you dont play.

Afshan Henna Powder
Karishma Herbal Henna
2 bars Swastik Neem Soap
Rose petal powder
Kapor Kachli
Whole Aritha
Mahabhringraj Tail oil
500ml Shikakai Hair Oil
Almond Herbal Hair Oil
Orange Peel Powder
Tulsi(basil) Leaf Powder
2 Kapoor Kachli
2 Maka
Manjishta
3 boxes Jamila Henna

Could you explain the benefits of the bold? I have never heard of them before...

Could you explain the benefits of the bold? I have never heard of them before...
Copied and pasted.
Neelibhringadi Oil is one of the most widely used medicated oils in ayurveda. It is said to promote lush growth of thick strong, shining black hair. It also prevents premature graying, dandruff and falling and breaking of hair.
Hesh Kapoor Kachli Powder is a boon for those who want thick, lustrous hair and keep it that way for a long time. The powder made into a thick paste that is used to wash the hair. Regular use promotes hair growth by stimulating the roots. It may also help to make your hair thick and lovely. Moreover, the powder also lends a pleasent purfume to the hair, which lasts for a long time.

Briefly Hesh Kapoor Kachli Powder has the following advantages:

- Stimulates hair roots and promotes hair growth
- Maintains hair texture
- Lends a pleasing perfume to the hair.
Hesh Manjishsta For spotless skin that looks younger
has the following advantages:
- Removes freckles, pimples, wrinkles, blemishes
- Cures skin discoloration
- Improves blood circulation
- Is an effective astringent

Afshan Henna Powder
Karishma Herbal Henna
2 bars Swastik Neem Soap
Rose petal powder
Kapor Kachli
Whole Aritha
Mahabhringraj Tail oil
500ml Shikakai Hair Oil
Almond Herbal Hair Oil
Orange Peel Powder
Tulsi(basil) Leaf Powder
2 Kapoor Kachli
2 Maka
Manjishta
3 boxes Jamila Henna

Everything was so cheap, I just couldn't resist!

i'm going this weekend to my local Indian grocer to stock up again...the prices you listed are very similar at my retailer...I was amazed the first time I'd gone into purchase simply b/c when I was going to order it all online the shipping and handling jacked everything up!!! I'm going to get whats bolded (plus a shikakai bar and i need more brahmi) thanks for the list!

i'm going this weekend to my local Indian grocer to stock up again...the prices you listed are very similar at my retailer...I was amazed the first time I'd gone into purchase simply b/c when I was going to order it all online the shipping and handling jacked everything up!!! I'm going to get whats bolded (plus a shikakai bar and i need more brahmi) thanks for the list!
No problem! My Indian grocer doesn't carry all of those things and sometimes acts like he can't get it in. I'm going to ask him again and see what he says.

Is it just me ladies or is there a noticeable difference, the first pic is 3/31 a couple of days before I started my Ayurvedic regimen the second pic is today....about a week and a half later....by the way I am now 16 weeks post!

Ya'll will never guess what did today.....I mixed my ayurveda tea rinse with some Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo in a jug and poured it over my cornrowed hair. This was another great way for me to get in my ayurveda regimen while in braids. It was awesome:lick:. Since the tea had a lot of oils in it and the Elucence usually leaves my hair feeling a wee bit stripped when used alone, the oils in the rinse offset the stripping effect of the Elucence MB poo. I really enjoy experimenting with this stuff:yep:.

Is it just me ladies or is there a noticeable difference, the first pic is 3/31 a couple of days before I started my Ayurvedic regimen the second pic is today....about a week and a half later....by the way I am now 16 weeks post!

:yep:, there sure is Mrs R. Good job!

For those who like to make their own oils...I found a cute little potpourri simmering pot at WalMart for $9.99...they have them back in the crafts section. It holds about a cup of oil (maybe a little more, but not much). It warmed very nicely and didn't scorch.

I had a small crock pot from there with "low" and "high" settings, but even the "low" seemed to be too much heat. And then I broke it when I was moving my fridge to free up the 18 plastic balls my cat had gotten stuck under there... :wallbash:

Anywho, used the simmer pot over the weekend with coconut oil, a little jojoba, and a little castor oil, plus 1/4 cup of shikakai powder. I need to strain it one more time, but I think it came out well. I let it infuse for about 6 hours.

Wow the potpourri simmering pot is a great idea to be used for infusing herbs with oils, thanks for sharing Cassandra. I think I have one of those pots around here somewhere, gatta look for it...

...and see I told him I bought the whole aritha to wash clothes with and he said to only wash wool and other heavy fabrics with it because it was too harsh for lighter fabrics like cotton. This really made me wonder how it could possibly be conditioning if it's too harsh to wash cotton...thanks y'all. I'm not doing that!

ETA: I almost hyperventilated at how cheap everything was! I got a 500 ml bottle of shikakai hair oil + 25% more free for $5.99! My mahabhringraj oil was $4.99, Neelibhringdai $5.99, almond herbal oil $3.99. All of the soaps and powders ranged from $1 to $1.99.

You just couldn't resist, could you Eisani:lachen:. This is pure torture for me especially since there aren't any Indian stores here in the Bahamas and I am sure this store doesn't even have a website, right?

Waiting breathlessly for a response!:look:.

Copied and pasted.
Neelibhringadi Oil is one of the most widely used medicated oils in ayurveda. It is said to promote lush growth of thick strong, shining black hair. It also prevents premature graying, dandruff and falling and breaking of hair.
Hesh Kapoor Kachli Powder is a boon for those who want thick, lustrous hair and keep it that way for a long time. The powder made into a thick paste that is used to wash the hair. Regular use promotes hair growth by stimulating the roots. It may also help to make your hair thick and lovely. Moreover, the powder also lends a pleasent purfume to the hair, which lasts for a long time.

Briefly Hesh Kapoor Kachli Powder has the following advantages:

- Stimulates hair roots and promotes hair growth
- Maintains hair texture
- Lends a pleasing perfume to the hair.
Hesh Manjishsta For spotless skin that looks younger
has the following advantages:
- Removes freckles, pimples, wrinkles, blemishes
- Cures skin discoloration
- Improves blood circulation
- Is an effective astringent

Okay will be looking for the Kapoor kachli for sure.

Wow the potpourri simmering pot is a great idea to be used for infusing herbs with oils, thanks for sharing Cassandra. I think I have one of those pots around here somewhere, gatta look for it...
You can't beat $9.99 for the pot...especially thinking of what us kitchen chemists can make in there. :yep:

I can't find an Indian store here to save my life. I have a friend in MD/DC/VA area who I sent a shopping list to...it's so much cheaper for me to have her ship it to me, than to order online. I'm sure once my order arrives, I'll be making more oils.

There are tons of Indian stores here. Who knew? I'm just lazy. I prefer ordering and waiting for stuff to arrive. Two girls at work say they will go with me at lunch one day so at some point I may go.....probably not. I most likely will order in bulk from that link in the discount sticky.

There are tons of Indian stores here. Who knew? I'm just lazy. I prefer ordering and waiting for stuff to arrive. Two girls at work say they will go with me at lunch one day so at some point I may go.....probably not. I most likely will order in bulk from that link in the discount sticky.
**off to find link in discount thread**

I love doing my oils this way:yep: also if you let the infusion sit overnight, it's eaiser to pour the oil off the top, because the sludge/herbs settles to the bottom.

Shay, are you in northern VA Arlington/Alexandria? I have called most of the stores in the DMV area and they don't have everything we all used here, most of them only have amla. If you find one with some more herbs please let me know.

You just couldn't resist, could you Eisani:lachen:. This is pure torture for me especially since there aren't any Indian stores here in the Bahamas and I am sure this store doesn't even have a website, right?

Waiting breathlessly for a response!:look:.
I just looked up both stores and neither have a website :sad:. The coolest part for me was that both of these places were literally right across the street from each other! I was in heaven.

There are sooo many ayurvedic products who can resist buying all of it, but I have gained excellent growth with Aritha, Amla, and brahmi powders. Coconut and brahmi oil. and Henna. Good Luck Ladies. Oh yeah, I have also decreased my shampoo usage which I think is a BIG factor. Not drying my hair out.

Shay, are you in northern VA Arlington/Alexandria? I have called most of the stores in the DMV area and they don't have everything we all used here, most of them only have amla. If you find one with some more herbs please let me know.

Yes, I live in Arlington. I printed a list but I haven't visited anything. So that is good to know.

PS I miss Maryland's amazing weather. Two of my babies were born there. It's a very diverse place there so finding some products shouldn't be too hard, like in the metro DC-VA-MD areas

I'm going to my local Indian grocer tomorrow, I need to pick up a new box of brahmi and purchase a few other things.... and I want to try heena for the first time probably the later part of next week or next weekend since I'm getting my hair done tomorrow. I wanted to see if you ladies have heard of or tried this product:
hair-pack-powder1.jpg
"Heenara" Hair Pack Powder
Ayurvedic Colorant, conditioner and nourisher for hair

Naturoriche Heenara Herbal Hair Pack has the following advantages:
- Beauty secret for hair
- Helps color and condition the hair naturally
- Acts as a coolant

Also on my list to purchase:
Shikakai bar
Vatika Coconut Oil
Maka Powder
Habiscus Powder (if they carry it)