Ayurveda Support Thread

bump....if you havent used that one can someone recommend a good Henna for relaxed hair...I know it has to be body grade correct?

1. Apply Ayurvedic oil mixture to dry, dirty hair for 1 hour-overnight.
  2. Apply Ayurvedic wash mixture to my hair for an hour (don't rinse out the oil that was in your hair previously).
  3. Rinse out the Ayurveda wash mixture for 5 minutes with hot water.
  4. Deep condition.
  5. Rinse out with cold water.
  6. Airdry.
I just named them this cuz I dunno what else to call them :look::spinning: Nothing special, just a whole bunch of oils/powders that I mixed together.

Ayurvedic oil mixture: Dabur Amla Oil, Parachute Coconut Oil, Vatika Coconut Oil, Dabur Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Shikakai Oil

Ayurvedic wash mixture: I mix henna powder, indigo powder, amla powder, shikakai powder, neem powder and ritha powder in a bowl, maybe 2 tablespoons of each. Add 3 cups of water and let this sit overnight. The next day, strain it very well and add 2 cups of the Ayurvedic oil mixture. Pour this mixture in a bottle and use it as needed. This last me 6-8 washes. The only time I get in the shower is to rinse out the conditioner, I hate jumping in and out of the shower.

I will be adding more oils and powders as I buy more things :grin: I just get the benefit from everything by mixing them all together, no need to do separate treatments. I hope this helps you guys out.

Remember, K.I.S.S.!!!!!

Love your reggie, kiesha8185 . Your hair's beautiful. Just curious - what kind of deep conditioner do you use?

I'm going to my local Indian grocer tomorrow, I need to pick up a new box of brahmi and purchase a few other things.... and I want to try heena for the first time probably the later part of next week or next weekend since I'm getting my hair done tomorrow. I wanted to see if you ladies have heard of or tried this product:
hair-pack-powder1.jpg
"Heenara" Hair Pack Powder
Ayurvedic Colorant, conditioner and nourisher for hair

Naturoriche Heenara Herbal Hair Pack has the following advantages:
- Beauty secret for hair
- Helps color and condition the hair naturally
- Acts as a coolant

Also on my list to purchase:
Shikakai bar
Vatika Coconut Oil
Maka Powder
Habiscus Powder (if they carry it) I'm almost out of this one so I need more:yep:
Neem Tone Skin Powder
Naturoriche Skin Tone Up Life Powder

All the bolded above are on my wish list Mrs R. I haven't tried the heenara yet either. Also on my wish list is Karishma herbal henna, Reshma henna, Kapoor Kachli, Hesh Orange powder, Hesh Manjishta, Chandrika Soap - my skin loves this soap a lot, and a case of indigo. I can't seem to use up the Vatika coconut oil fast enough, so I don't buy that anymore. It always gets rancid on me so I just simply stick with good old Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from the whole foods store.

I do want to know if anyone has tried the Dabur Vatika Henna Conditioning Shampoo though....anyone??? What is it like??? Is it stripping, etc?

Last edited:
I can't find an Indian store here to save my life

Cassandra,
After this weekend I will PM you. My brother lives in Charlotte, NC and just told me last night about a Indian store that just opened up by him. They have a restaurant next door. I will get the name and address of the store from him for you. I have him checking on a list of products for me.:yep:

All the bolded above are on my wish list Mrs R. I haven't tried the heenara yet either. Also on my wish list is Karishma herbal henna, Reshma henna, Kapoor Kachli, Hesh Orange powder, Hesh Manjishta, Chandrika Soap - my skin loves this soap a lot, and a case of indigo. I can't seem to use up the Vatika coconut oil fast enough, so I don't buy that anymore. It always gets rancid on me so I just simply stick with good old Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from the whole foods store.

I do want to know if anyone has tried the Dabur Vatika Henna Conditioning Shampoo though....anyone??? What is it like??? Is it stripping, etc?
Thanks for the tip regarding the Vatika Coconut Oil....I already have a jar of EVCO, I think I'll stick with that.....Well I guess I'll be the one to try out the Heenera.....I'll come back with a list of what I purchased later on today...Have a good day ladies!

Have any of you ever tried to use just the aritha foam? Like through soaking the nuts rather then the powders?
Ooh, I have some nuts so I'm going to try it the next time I cleanse.

Had I known the bolded, I could've grabbed all of those for you. I guess I'll be asking next time.

ETA: I HATED that Vatika henna shampoo :nono:

Cassandra,
After this weekend I will PM you. My brother lives in Charlotte, NC and just told me last night about a Indian store that just opened up by him. They have a restaurant next door. I will get the name and address of the store from him for you. I have him checking on a list of products for me.:yep:
Sweet!! :dance7:
Seriously...I will help keep them in business if they have what I need... :woot: It would be too much like right for it to be on my side of town...but I will drive over h*ll's half acre to get there, if I can save on shipping.

Ooh, I have some nuts so I'm going to try it the next time I cleanse.

Had I known the bolded, I could've grabbed all of those for you. I guess I'll be asking next time.

ETA: I HATED that Vatika henna shampoo :nono:

Thanks for chiming in Eisani.

Mehandi.com sells a packet specifically for African-American relaxed hair.

Just tried Amla and Zizyphus Spina Christi in my conditioner. So far so good.

I was on that site yesterday and thought to myself "Wow, they are expensive!" They have quite a bit of stuff, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the kind of money they're asking for especially seeing that I get great results with the products I do have that cost me substantially less. But to each his own, I guess...:yep:

Hi ladies! I finally got through this WHOLE thread and I learned A LOT! I decided to take it slow and bought a box of Hesh brahmi, Neem (for my face-it works!) and Vatika oil at my local Indian grocer. Yesterday I decided to take the plunge. I did a prepoo with the Vatika which made my hair so soft, then I washed with my regular Aveda shampoo and I applied my brahmi, water and Vatika oil paste to my hair and let it sit for 20 minutes. As I applied it though it was very gritty and did not feel moisturizing like the conditiners I am use to so like all newbies I remembered the horror stories of dry tangled hair and got a little worried but I pressed on. I rinsed (this must be one of the easier ones to rinse out because I had no problems). My hair was so soft and hydrated I almost felt like I didn't need to deep condition but I did anyway. I kinda feel like my DC took a little better than usual. After my 1 hour DC I rinsed and my hair felt great! I threw a little more Vatika oil into my towel dried hair, bunned and went to bed. The next morning my hair was so soft even the parts that are always super dry and crunchy. Ayurveda is definitely a keeper for me! I am a trasitioning 4B BTW with more natural hair than relaxed.

I have decided to keep my shampoo for now because I am just starting out and I think that's where a lot of newbies get caught with the dry tangled hair because they start off right away with the big guns. Right now I am going to experiment with the conditioning powders: Brhami, Amla, Bhringraj, and Hibiscus. I plan on using them one at time to see how they work on my hair and then I will start mixing. It will probably be a while before I venture into using shikaki, aritha and henna. I want to keep my Ayurveda regimen very simple with minimal mixing and I plan on using my powders as a paste because I love how it exfoliates my scalp.

I do have a couple question though: If I am using the 4 powders I listed above regularly, say twice a week, would this be sufficient enough to toss out my protein treatments? And can you OD on those powders like protein?
Also how long does a water/paste mixture last? I had some left over from last night and I kept it in a plastic bowl with lid in the fridge. I didn't want to toss it out until I found out how long it would keep.

Thanks!

Hi ladies! I finally got through this WHOLE thread and I learned A LOT! I decided to take it slow...My hair was so soft and hydrated I almost felt like I didn't need to deep condition but I did anyway. The next morning my hair was so soft even the parts that are always super dry and crunchy. Ayurveda is definitely a keeper for me! I am a trasitioning 4B BTW with more natural hair than relaxed.
I have decided to keep my shampoo for now
I do have a couple question though: If I am using the 4 powders I listed above regularly, say twice a week, would this be sufficient enough to toss out my protein treatments? And can you OD on those powders like protein?
Also how long does a water/paste mixture last? I had some left over from last night and I kept it in a plastic bowl with lid in the fridge. I didn't want to toss it out until I found out how long it would keep.
Thanks!

I'm glad this was a great experience for you as well!!! I started a few weeks ago and fell in love after the first try!! I am no expert so I can't answer either of your questions. But these ladies are so helpful and knowledgable I'm sure someone will shortly...
Congrats on your success!!!

Hi ladies! I finally got through this WHOLE thread and I learned A LOT! I decided to take it slow and bought a box of Hesh brahmi, Neem (for my face-it works!) and Vatika oil at my local Indian grocer. Yesterday I decided to take the plunge. I did a prepoo with the Vatika which made my hair so soft, then I washed with my regular Aveda shampoo and I applied my brahmi, water and Vatika oil paste to my hair and let it sit for 20 minutes. As I applied it though it was very gritty and did not feel moisturizing like the conditiners I am use to so like all newbies I remembered the horror stories of dry tangled hair and got a little worried but I pressed on. I rinsed (this must be one of the easier ones to rinse out because I had no problems). My hair was so soft and hydrated I almost felt like I didn't need to deep condition but I did anyway. I kinda feel like my DC took a little better than usual. After my 1 hour DC I rinsed and my hair felt great! I threw a little more Vatika oil into my towel dried hair, bunned and went to bed. The next morning my hair was so soft even the parts that are always super dry and crunchy. Ayurveda is definitely a keeper for me! I am a trasitioning 4B BTW with more natural hair than relaxed.

I have decided to keep my shampoo for now because I am just starting out and I think that's where a lot of newbies get caught with the dry tangled hair because they start off right away with the big guns. Right now I am going to experiment with the conditioning powders: Brhami, Amla, Bhringraj, and Hibiscus. I plan on using them one at time to see how they work on my hair and then I will start mixing. It will probably be a while before I venture into using shikaki, aritha and henna. I want to keep my Ayurveda regimen very simple with minimal mixing and I plan on using my powders as a paste because I love how it exfoliates my scalp.

Thanks!

Congratulations on your Ayurveda experience!! :dance7:Sounds like you are def. on the right track.:yep: You can still use your protein treatments along with Ayurveda, Henna & Protein are the 2 you don't want to overdo together, And yes your mixture will keep in the fridge. I usually save my leftover mix till the next time I dc, or cowash, which is usually the same week. Although I have kept it for almost 2 wks. with no problems, I just add a little more cond. & powder & wallah!! Try mixing your powder in with your Cond. the next time, to save yourself a step.

I'm glad this was a great experience for you as well!!! I started a few weeks ago and fell in love after the first try!! I am no expert so I can't answer either of your questions. But these ladies are so helpful and knowledgable I'm sure someone will shortly...
Congrats on your success!!!

Thank you very much! I am so excited about this most of all because it's all natural and these powders and oils have stood the test of time.:yep:

Congratulations on your Ayurveda experience!! :dance7:Sounds like you are def. on the right track.:yep: You can still use your protein treatments along with Ayurveda, Henna & Protein are the 2 you don't want to overdo together, And yes your mixture will keep in the fridge. I usually save my leftover mix till the next time I dc, or cowash, which is usually the same week. Although I have kept it for almost 2 wks. with no problems, I just add a little more cond. & powder & wallah!! Try mixing your powder in with your Cond. the next time, to save yourself a step.

Aha! Those are the two, henna and protein, gotcha. That's great about me being able to keep it in the fridge. I plan to wash again on Wednesday so that'll be perfect.

Ya know, I thought a lot about adding it to my conditioner but I never rub my conditioners on my scalp for fear of build up and I figured since I would be rubbing the powder on my scalp I didn't want to rub the conditioner in too. Perhaps mixing the powder in with the con prevents build up?

Thanks Flowinlocks! I feel like if I am consistent with this my hair will be long and strong by this time next year for sure!

Thanks!

Muse adding to what flowinlocks already said...Usually the teas/pastes last about 3-5 days in the fridge but some have success with them even longer. I would recommend that you add a few drops of essential oil like rosemary or grapefruit to help it last a little longer if you so desire. Hmmm, I don't know if you should toss out your protein conditioners. I use both ayurveda powders and protein conditioners, alternatedly of course followed by deep conditioning. My hair is fine, relaxed (chemically altered) and loves protein so I won't be giving them up basically for these reasons.

Thanks!

When using aritha or shikaki, instead of using 1 tsp use 1/2 tsp to see how your hair reacts to that. I use paste instead of tea because the tea was too drying for my hair. WELCOME to ayurveda and congratulations.

Thank You ladies:bighug:! A couple more questions for you all: When I eventually decide to use the cleansing powders will they be able to remove heavy cones from my hair? I try to stay away from leave ins with cones but my conditioner has them and when I flat iron I use lots of heavy cones.

I did another Brahmi paste wash again today and my hair feels great. This is my second time but my hair already feels fuller and a bit stronger. I am an excessive shedder and I haven't seen a decrease in this though. I know it's still early but I kinda thought less shedding would be the first thing I noticed. Has any of these powders helped any one with any shedding issues? How long did it take for you to see results?

I have decided that when I finish testing each powder (and if they each work for me) I will alternate between 2 different paste mixes: one with amla, bhringraj, and fenugreek (I want the slip:grin:) and the other with brahmi and hibiscus.

Again thank you ladies for the warm welcome!!

Thank You ladies:bighug:! A couple more questions for you all: When I eventually decide to use the cleansing powders will they be able to remove heavy cones from my hair? I try to stay away from leave ins with cones but my conditioner has them and when I flat iron I use lots of heavy cones.

I did another Brahmi paste wash again today and my hair feels great. This is my second time but my hair already feels fuller and a bit stronger. I am an excessive shedder and I haven't seen a decrease in this though. I know it's still early but I kinda thought less shedding would be the first thing I noticed. Has any of these powders helped any one with any shedding issues? How long did it take for you to see results?

I have decided that when I finish testing each powder (and if they each work for me) I will alternate between 2 different paste mixes: one with amla, bhringraj, and fenugreek (I want the slip:grin:) and the other with brahmi and hibiscus.

Again thank you ladies for the warm welcome!!

I'd like to know which powders help with shedding also. I've got hair all over the house!

Actually the tea stops shedding in it's tracks!:yep:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=7169711&postcount=562

I think that if you clarify it may stop the shedding. I use the suave or you could use the ACV rine or baking soda and water. Then follow up with a protein DC. I dunno. This may help.

Thank you very much! I am so excited about this most of all because it's all natural and these powders and oils have stood the test of time.:yep:

Aha! Those are the two, henna and protein, gotcha. That's great about me being able to keep it in the fridge. I plan to wash again on Wednesday so that'll be perfect.

Ya know, I thought a lot about adding it to my conditioner but I never rub my conditioners on my scalp for fear of build up and I figured since I would be rubbing the powder on my scalp I didn't want to rub the conditioner in too. Perhaps mixing the powder in with the con prevents build up?

Thanks Flowinlocks! I feel like if I am consistent with this my hair will be long and strong by this time next year for sure!

I don't massage the powders on my scalp, I usually mix them with cond. and apply the mixture to dry hair, ng first just like I'm applying a relaxer touchup, then I go back & coat the ends & put on a plastic cap. I can say I have totally given up shampoo & I don't have any build up. If it's cleansing I want, I'll add Shikakai & Neem to the mix.

Hey girls, just checking in. I just did a cowash with TJ Nourish Spa, Suave Humectant, Amla, Bhrami, Bhringraj, Nettle, Horsetail, & Shikakai. I think I've mastered the Shikakai for my hair. I've came to the conclusion, that I can only use a half of teaspoon of this particular herb, even when mixed with other powders. Also 15 mins. is the tops for leaving it on my hair. Also I used double the amount of Horsetail this time, since it makes my hair so soft. My hair felt soooo soft & strong after doing this. I did this on dry preoiled hair. Another discovery I made was Shikakai seems to be gritty & leaves particles behind not matter how much rinsing with water & cond. afterwards. So I decided to put my powder in my food processor & grind it some more, the end result was a fine milled powder, which I'm sure will rinse easier. Too bad I thought of it after I cowashed.:rolleyes: I think I will try this with my Bhringraj powder as well, because it seems to have bits of stems & sticks in it.

Last edited:
Hey girls, just checking in. I just did a cowash with TJ Nourish Spa, Suave Humectant, Amla, Bhrami, Bhringraj, Nettle, Horsetail, & Shikakai. I think I've mastered the Shikakai for my hair. I've came to the conclusion, that I can only use a half of teaspoon of this particular herb, even when mixed with other powders. Also 15 mins. is the tops for leaving it on my hair. Also I used double the amount of Horsetail this time, since it makes my hair so soft. My hair felt soooo soft & strong after doing this. I did this on dry preoiled hair. Another discover I made was Shikakai seems to be gritty & leaves particles behind not matter how much rinsing with water & cond. afterwards. So I decided to put my powder in my food processor & grind it some more, the end result was a fine milled powder, which I'm sure will rinse easier. Too bad I thought of it after I cowashed.:rolleyes: I think I will try this with my Bhringraj powder as well, because it seems to have bits of stems & sticks in it.

This sounds great! When I finally do introduce Shikakai into my powder mix I will use a very small amount. Do you use powders daily?

Thanks for the response to my PM FlowinLocks, but I still didn't get the Henna. They had maybe 10 or more different Henna's....I couldn't tell by the packaging which were BAQ and when I asked the owner of the store he was unsure as well, so I decided I'd come back to LHCF to see if anyone had any pics of the BAQ Henna they use so I'll at least have that to go by.

He was out of Brahmi, so I'll have to go back in about a week they should have more by then, however I was able to pick up the following:

BrahmiAmla Oil
Mahabhringraj Oil
Maka Powder
Shikakai bar

This sounds great! When I finally do introduce Shikakai into my powder mix I will use a very small amount. Do you use powders daily?

Nah, I dc twice a week with the herbs, & cowash about twice a week with them. I have been so busy lately. I'm sure I'll be doing almost every day in the summer. That's why I like to keep the oils on hand, so the herbs are always in my hair, even when I'm lazy.:grin:

Back