Ayurveda Support Thread

Yes I am ltown. I want to BC my hair now. These bone straight ends are getting on my nerves. I am transitioning to texlaxed hair and I kid you not, my new growth is easier to deal with than my relaxed hair. I never thought I'd say that.....EVER:sad:!!!

I won't BC though but I think I'll have my hairstylist take off quite a bit the next time I'm in her chair. I only have about 1.5" of new growth and I need my hair to stay long enough to at least get into a bun for a while. I ain't lyin' though, I really like touching and playing with my new growth:grin:. I see now why so many naturals finger comb their hair:yep:.

Aggie, you don't have to BC before coming to lhcf I BC three time because that how I thought it had to be done. But now I'm in the transition long term like so many have here. My hair was only cl so I don't have to transition long. Come on join us!

Aggie, you don't have to BC. before coming to lhcf I BC three time because that how I thought it had to be done. But now I'm in the transition long term like so many have here. My hair was only cl so I don't have to transition long. Come on join us!
I am thinking about it long and hard ltown. I want to keep stretching beyond the 8 months I was thinking of reaching until September this year. I just might stretch much longer and I need that kind of support too.Thanks for the encouragemet honey.

Aggie, you don't have to BC before coming to lhcf I BC three time because that how I thought it had to be done. But now I'm in the transition long term like so many have here. My hair was only cl so I don't have to transition long. Come on join us!

By the way, I just realized that your last relaxer was on my 40th birthday:yep:.

I used my AM for the first time today, I mixed with my Ayurvedic herbs:lick: I am almost 9 wks. post and let me tell you my hair feels like butter. I can't keep my hands out of it. It gave amazing slip. I may even like it better than my beloved Suave Humectant.:shocked: This is just what I needed to carry me through the rest of my stretch.:yep:

I used my AM for the first time today, I mixed with my Ayurvedic herbs:lick: I am almost 9 wks. post and let me tell you my hair feels like butter. I can't keep my hands out of it. It gave amazing slip. I may even like it better than my beloved Suave Humectant.:shocked: This is just what I needed to carry me through the rest of my stretch.:yep:

I used the AM for the first time the other day and fell in love too FL. But it didn't do much for me when detangling so I used my Suave Humectant for that purpose. I have decided AM is now a staple for my cowashing, no more V05 or GF. I'm sitting with with a mix of Brahmi, Amla, Maka powders with Aussie Moist, Suave Humectant and Garnier Fructis.

I purchased 2 boxes 100g each of Jamila Henna. Now my question is, does anyone have a pic of indigo in packaging? I'm asking because I was in the Indian Grocery today and I saw many hair dyes, many that said black or dark black, however, I did not locate anything that said Indigo............So I'm hoping by looking at indigo in packaging it'll help me figure out what to buy.

ETA: nevermind I'm just going to place an order with mehndiskinart.com.

Last edited:
Ladies, I tried my shikakai bar this morning. And I will no longer purchase the Shikakai powder. I am very pleased with this purchase. I use this every 2-3 weeks as needed.

Ladies, I tried my shikakai bar this morning. And I will no longer purchase the Shikakai powder. I am very pleased with this purchase. I use this every 2-3 weeks as needed.

I love shampoo bars period just because they are easy for traveling. They lather so easy too. I plan to do a bulk order in a few months so I will add this to the list.

I love shampoo bars period just because they are easy for traveling. They lather so easy too. I plan to do a bulk order in a few months so I will add this to the list.

I have always wanted to try these bars, where are you ordering from? Are you using it on oiled hair?

I have always wanted to try these bars, where are you ordering from? Are you using it on oiled hair?

Shampoo bars in general I get from here:
www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com
Great customer service & quick shipping. Sample sizes are generous. Matter of fact I haven't ordered a regular size bar. They suggest you do an acv rinse. I can't remember why but the info is on their site. ACV rinses are part of my normal routine so no big deal.

I got an ayurvedic shampoo bar (I haven't used it yet) from here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6106217
Great customer service & quick shipping.

I plan to order shikakai bars from here:
www.mehndiskinart.com
which will be included in my bulk order in a few months.

I forgot to answer the other part of your question Flowinlocks. I do everything on oiled hair. I used to oil rinse but now I don't rinse out.

Shampoo bars in general I get from here:
www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com
Great customer service & quick shipping. Sample sizes are generous. Matter of fact I haven't ordered a regular size bar. They suggest you do an acv rinse. I can't remember why but the info is on their site. ACV rinses are part of my normal routine so no big deal.

I got an ayurvedic shampoo bar (I haven't used it yet) from here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6106217
Great customer service & quick shipping.

I plan to order shikakai bars from here:
www.mehndiskinart.com
which will be included in my bulk order in a few months.

Sigh......Why did I ask? Now I see a ton of stuff I want, for hair & body. :perplexed must use up stash..... must use up stash........

I bought some Hibiscus powder from Ruchita Ayerveda (great service!) and I love this stuff! It smells like Big Red gum to me. I used it this morning on the back section of my hair because I wanted to test it out. I use coconut or vatika oil daily now so i am always pre-pooing:grin: I mixed a little of the hibiscus powder with plain water and applied to my hair. I didnt make a thick paste but a little more runny this time, I like this consistency and will do it with all of my powders from now on. I let it sit while I showered, rinsed out and cowashed with AO HSR conditioner. My hair felt soooo siky! I wanted to test it out on the back because that's the roughest spot on my head and if something can soften that hair up I know it's good.

I put a little of my Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in and coconut oil on my hair and bunned. My hair is dry now and it still feels soft and moisturized. I LOVE ayurveda! I seriously think it makes my hair respond much better to my conditioners and leave ins now. My hair never felt this good with these products alone. Do you ladies feel that your hair is responding better to conditioners since using ayurveda?

Also I haven't washed my hair with shampoo because I don't want this soft moisturized hair to disappear. As much as I love my Aveda poos and cons I have come to the conclusion that they don't hold a candle to Ayurveda powders and oils (at least not for my hair). I'm guessing by the name Aveda is derived from Ayurveda so I figure why not go to the source and cut out all the chemicals.

Anywho, since I don't feel comfortable mixing the cleansing powders on my own just yet I plan to order this: http://www.indiaabundance.com/shopping/sp228_pr2479/Amla_&_Bhringraj_Herbal_Shampoo_.html

From the ingredients does this poo look stripping to you ladies?

I also found what looks like a really good moisturizing and detangling conditioner: http://www.indiaabundance.com/shopping/sp62_pr2406/Himalaya_Hair_Detangler.html

I can't wait to try this one! I am also placing another order with Ruchita for some maka and amla. I used the brahmi 3 times on my hair alone and though it was very nice I still think it needs another more moisturizing powder mixed with it. I have heard some people say brahmi is moisturizing and others say not so much. I will mix hibiscus with it.

Also I haven't washed my hair with shampoo because I don't want this soft moisturized hair to disappear. As much as I love my Aveda poos and cons I have come to the conclusion that they don't hold a candle to Ayurveda powders and oils (at least not for my hair). I'm guessing by the name Aveda is derived from Ayurveda so I figure why not go to the source and cut out all the chemicals.

Anywho, since I don't feel comfortable mixing the cleansing powders on my own just yet I plan to order this: http://www.indiaabundance.com/shopping/sp228_pr2479/Amla_&_Bhringraj_Herbal_Shampoo_.html

From the ingredients does this poo look stripping to you ladies?

I also found what looks like a really good moisturizing and detangling conditioner: http://www.indiaabundance.com/shopping/sp62_pr2406/Himalaya_Hair_Detangler.html

I can't wait to try this one! I am also placing another order with Ruchita for some maka and amla. I used the brahmi 3 times on my hair alone and though it was very nice I still think it needs another more moisturizing powder mixed with it. I have heard some people say brahmi is moisturizing and others say not so much. I will mix hibiscus with it.

Hmmm, good luck with that Muse. Remember those ayurveda poos are quite drying, I know, I've tried them. So be careful using them. I might recommend adding a little oil to them before washing your hair with them and also prepoo your natural hair well with some oil too. They work mostly like clarifying poos to me.

I agree. I don't think I will be buying the powder any longer. The bar is much nicer.

I'm not much for hair soap bars but I do like using the shikakai soap on my face. I bought the Chandrika soap afterwards and love that even better than the shikakai soap bar. The Chandrika soap is green, smells wonderful and great for skin and hair as well - you can buy it from www.vitacost.com for only $0.74 each - I have a dozen of them sitting in my wish list right now.

Hmmm, good luck with that Muse. Remember those ayurveda poos are quite drying, I know, I've tried them. So be careful using them. I might recommend adding a little oil to them before washing your hair with them and also prepoo your natural hair well with some oil too. They work mostly like clarifying poos to me.

Thanks Aggie! This is good for me to know. I will test it on part of my hair and see how it reacts. If it strips like a clarifying poo I will use it just once a month to deep clean. I read in a post that hibiscus was considered a mild cleaning agent, don't know how true that is.

Thanks Aggie! This is good for me to know. I will test it on part of my hair and see how it reacts. If it strips like a clarifying poo I will use it just once a month to deep clean. I read in a post that hibiscus was considered a mild cleaning agent, don't know how true that is.

You're welcomed Muse. Hibiscus is a natural, mild and moisturizing cleansing agent just like a commercial, moisturizing, cleansing poo:yep: - but it's still moisturizing.

Last edited:
You're welcomed Muse. Hibiscus is a natural, mild and moisturizing cleansing agent just like a commercial, moisturizing, cleansing poo:yep: - but it's still moisturizing.

Wow so it is true! So why are people using shikakai and aritha to clean when they can just use hibiscus to clean without worrying about it stripping the hair?

If that is the case I will use hibiscus as my weekly "shampoo" and the other poo I will order for monthly clarifying.

Thanks for your quick and knowledgeable responses Aggie!

ETA: Found a this on a site as well:

HIBISCUS POWDER
Hibiscus powder is a natural shampoo and conditioner and can be safely used on the Hair. It makes the hair soft and shiny without any side affects.

http://www.ayurvedacollege.net/products.htm

Last edited:
Wow so it is true! So why are people using shikakai and aritha to clean when they can just use hibiscus to clean without worrying about it stripping the hair?

If that is the case I will use hibiscus as my weekly "shampoo" and the other poo I will order for monthly clarifying.

HIBISCUS POWDER
Hibiscus powder is a natural shampoo and conditioner and can be safely used on the Hair. It makes the hair soft and shiny without any side affects.

I think people use shikaki and aritha for strengthening purposes.

Last Night:

3 tsp brahmi
1 tsp henna
1/2 tsp amla
1 tsp honey
Evoo

Boiled some water mixed a small amount with the henna and honey mixture. Shook it up in a coloring bottle. Then mixed with the brahmi and amla to make a paste. Added some Evoo.

Rinsed hair for 5 to 7 minutes

co-washed with VO5 tea therapy x 3

DC AHSR

sealed with Cantu shea butter leave in and coconut oil.

Hair felt strong not soft. Will co-wash tonight with hair one. Give you an update later.

HIBISCUS POWDER

I think people use shikaki and aritha for strengthening purposes.

Hurricane is right except aritha is used as a clarifying powder. Shikakai is definitely a strengthening powder as well.

Okay, you know how some moisturizing powders have mild protein in it? Then this is the same way with the powders. By the way, you are welcomed Muse.

Thanks ladies Hurricane and Aggie. That explains it. I found another shampoo by the same company that looks to be more suited for dry hair:
http://www.indiaabundance.com/shopping/sp228_pr2481/_Honey_&_Almond_Oil_Herbal_Shampoo.html

The ingredients are: honey, almond oil, water, shikakai, henna, and parabens:ohwell: (wish there were no parabens but I've used worse on my head) The site says it's for permed, colored or damaged hair-so I'm hoping it's gentle. I really wanted to incorporate shikakai in my reggie somehow and it looks like I will be able to with this. I will report how this works after I use it.

I pesonally feel that the addition of coconut oil or coconut milk to a shampoo bar is excellent! The bars make an o the ayurvedic herbs go on easier and can be easily used and washed out.

Shikakai powder is used in addition to the henna part of the recipe usually. The powders are blended together and shikakai cleanses and promotes hair growth.

Amla powder can also be used in the henna part of the recipe, or as a facial mask ( as it is a natural astringent), to promote hair growth and to tone down the red of henna mildly. It also adds volume and bounce to your hair. This helps people who don't want to have straightening affects of the henna powder.

Aritha or soapnuts are used by people who want straight cleansing. The most popular form of aritha use is in the soapnut form, not the powder. Some are taking off the liquid and using it to wash there hair. There is a big thread on this on longhaircommunity.com. Plenty of recipes and methods there on soapnuts.

I find all of these herbs are a good addition to a shampoo bar. I can't wait to get them for ourselves (hint, hint! soon to come).

I agree hibiscus is very good for the hair as well, and it doesn't hurt to add it to your regimen. Suppliers in India have told us that it is very good for hair, and has been added into hair oils :) (a very special one that's on its way)

Today I did my first tea rinse using Henna and Alma powders. It was interesting. Not really sure of the affects since I am in braids, but my scalp does feel so much better. :)

Sorry FL, I'm just seeing this....I go to a local Indial Grocer, they carry a few brands of Shikakai Bars, but I purchased the Swastikah Brand (just from hearing good things about the brand here)

Yes I oiled before using the bar, with it being Shikakai I didn't want to take the risk.

OK - So henna has not changed my hair texture. I have been waiting to see that - no looser texture. Just dryness and split ends sticking out :perplexed:

Not a good look.....

I plan to henna one more time... in order to get Indigo black hair - But - that will be it for me. :nono:

Other powders and herbs work well for me - so I will sticj with them.

Back