Ayurveda Support Thread

Well ladies, I tried the fenugreek and it was a good experience. It gave major slip and I had no issues rinsing everything out. My only issue was I smelled of curry afterwards and the thing is I used other products afterwards (Aveda DR IRT, Lacio lacio, Heat protectant) and still the smell lingers. Any ideas how to cut that smell a bit?

That's great!! How did you use it? How much did you use??:look:

Hey girl,

I mixed it into my amla-brahmi-henna-oil-water-conditioner mix. I used about 1/2 tbsp. I then whisked everything together.
Are you still having issues with it?

I finally did my henna treatment today and I doubled the amount of amla powder that I normally use and my gray hairs look a lot darker, no high reddish copper look at all. They're actually brownish. I forgot to add my oils in at the last minute and my hair still came out pretty great, probably because I doubled the amount of moisturizing powders (bhringraj, brahmi and hibiscus) I normally use as well.

I even added a heaping tablespoon of Kalpi Tone in it. I loved this mixture:lick:. It didn't drip all over the floor this time, I was impressed. I think I'm getting a lot better at applying it. I have to admit though, I miss my indigo. I ran out of it and need to replenish it soon.

My hair has been a little porous lately and so contrary to popular opinion, I gave myself a 20 minute CON reconstructor and AO GPB protein treatment immediately after henna'ing my hair and now I am DCing with a mixture of Mizani Moisturefuse and AO HSR. I think I'll keep it in overnight for extra moisturizing conditioning:yep:.

I had a tiny bit of henna left over in the frige from Saturday, not enough for a whole head treatment, so I mixed it with a mix of brahmi, amla, kalpi tone, bhringraj and ginger powders and some leftover Miss key 10 in 1 conditioner and put it on brahmi pre-oiled hair. I left it on for 2 hours and cowashed it out with v05 free me freesia. Conditioned for 5 minutes with MT and AO GPB conditioners, now I am deep conditioning with Biolage Conditioning Balm mixed with AO HSR conditioner.

I should have posted here instead of starting a new thread for my relaxer question...

But my next question is, can someone look at my plan and tell me what they think:
My plan:
prepoo using Amla, Shikakai, Vatika Frosting and/or coconut oil
Wash 2x's / wk using 1tbsp shikakai, 1tbsp amla and 1tbsp brahmi (1 cup warm water, 1 cup cold water)
co-wash Suave Humectant or Garnier Fructis Wonder Waves
Basic Air dry or using roller set ponytail method, braid outs or twist outs
Oil Nightly rotating between: Amla, Shikakai, jojoba or coconut oil

Also, I'm thinking of buying a bottle of conditioner adding some Maka and Alma powders and rosemary e.o and using this as a DC......

How does this sound?? I know they say the limit of powders to use is 3, but I figured if the Maka is in the DC it would be ok....??

**bumping for you**

It looks fine to me. I only disagree with the wash mix where you'd mix a cleansing powder (shikakai) with the conditioning powders. Conditioners are meant to coat or penetrate the hair shaft ... then cleansers are meant to remove that and other dirt to prevent build up, etc ... so wouldn't you be removing what you're trying to add? lol, if that makes sense ... It's like them 2-in-one's ... they don't work very well. Personally, i'd use cleansing and conditioning powders separately.

That's just my $0.02. Carry on.

**bumping for you**

It looks fine to me. I only disagree with the wash mix where you'd mix a cleansing powder (shikakai) with the conditioning powders. Conditioners are meant to coat or penetrate the hair shaft ... then cleansers are meant to remove that and other dirt to prevent build up, etc ... so wouldn't you be removing what you're trying to add? lol, if that makes sense ... It's like them 2-in-one's ... they don't work very well. Personally, i'd use cleansing and conditioning powders separately.

That's just my $0.02. Carry on.

I have been using Ayurvedic powders and oils for a little over a year now, and this is not true. You can and are suppose to use the powders mixed together and you adjust the ratio depending on what you want to achieve or what you hair needs. Never use Shikikai or any cleansing powder by itself or you will have dry, tangled hair. Never use these powders without putting the oils in your hair first (preferably overnight) because you will have dry and maybe tangled hair. It's not complicated, but people make their own concoctions and post them here than newbies think that is what they need to do. Many people have many variations on the uses of these powders and oils, but I keep it simple and use them the way Indian women do. Just mix those powders and add water, and put them on your hair for a few minutes or hours if you wish than wash it out.

I should have posted here instead of starting a new thread for my relaxer question...

But my next question is, can someone look at my plan and tell me what they think:
My plan:
Wash 2x's / wk using 1tbsp shikakai, 1tbsp amla and 1tbsp brahmi (1 cup warm water, 1 cup cold water)

Also, I'm thinking of buying a bottle of conditioner adding some Maka and Alma powders and rosemary e.o and using this as a DC......

How does this sound?? I know they say the limit of powders to use is 3, but I figured if the Maka is in the DC it would be ok....??

Your plan looks fine. Keep us updated on your hair progress with Ayurveda.

I have been using Ayurvedic powders and oils for a little over a year now, and this is not true. You can and are suppose to use the powders mixed together and you adjust the ratio depending on what you want to achieve or what you hair needs.Never use Shikikai or any cleansing powder by itself or you will have dry, tangled hair. Never use these powders without putting the oils in your hair first (preferably overnight) because you will have dry and maybe tangled hair. It's not complicated, but people make their own concoctions and post them here than newbies think that is what they need to do. Many people have many variations on the uses of these powders and oils, but I keep it simple and use them the way Indian women do. Just mix those powders and add water, and put them on your hair for a few minutes or hours if you wish than wash it out.

Good advice:yep: The only thing I would add is, I will never leave Shikakai on for longer than 15min.:nono: Even when mixed cond. it still dries me out if left on too long. I choose to mix my powders with cond. to skip a step & to keep the moisture balance while cleansing.

Now that I am comfortable with powders I am ready to branch out into oils. I have vatika frosting so I won't be buying vatika oil. I was thinking of jasmine, amla, brahmi, hibiscus, and I also saw a brahmi amla. What do you think? Any others? TIA.

[/b]

Good advice:yep: The only thing I would add is, I will never leave Shikakai on for longer than 15min.:nono: Even when mixed cond. it still dries me out if left on too long. I choose to mix my powders with cond. to skip a step & to keep the moisture balance while cleansing.

I don't use too much shikakai powder anymore either...I realized recently that my hair really loves amla, brahmi, bhringraj, kalpi tone and hibiscus petal powders more, especially my new growth.

My plan:

Great plan Mrs R, but I would add extra amla and brahmi powders. About the bolded...I have never agreed with this because kalpi tone is blend of a number of powders that amount to wayyy more than 3 and it does a wonderful job on my hair and many others who use it. I mix many powders together to get the maximum benefit with each wash, ie, strength, moisturizing, revitalizing, conditioning, hair loss prevention, coloring gray hairs, etc, all in one - something like WEN cleansing conditioners:grin:. I feel that's it's way too much work to use them separately when they work so well together.

Last edited:
Great plan Mrs R. About the bolded...I have never agreed with this because kalpi tone is blend of a number of powders that amount to wayyy more than 3 and it does a wonderful job on my hair and many others who use it. I mix many powders together to get the maximum benefit with each wash, ie, strength, moisturizing, revitalizing, conditioning, hair loss prevention, coloring gray hairs, etc, all in one - something like WEN cleansing conditioners:grin:. I feel that's it's way too much work to use them separately when they work so well together.

Yes Aggie me too. I love making combos. Bhringraj and Brahmi are a must in all powder combinations for me.

I have been using Ayurvedic powders and oils for a little over a year now, and this is not true. You can and are suppose to use the powders mixed together and you adjust the ratio depending on what you want to achieve or what you hair needs. Never use Shikikai or any cleansing powder by itself or you will have dry, tangled hair. Never use these powders without putting the oils in your hair first (preferably overnight) because you will have dry and maybe tangled hair. It's not complicated, but people make their own concoctions and post them here than newbies think that is what they need to do. Many people have many variations on the uses of these powders and oils, but I keep it simple and use them the way Indian women do. Just mix those powders and add water, and put them on your hair for a few minutes or hours if you wish than wash it out.

Thanks for posting this. I actually don't like to mix more than 2 powders together because I wonder if I'm really getting the full effect. Today I did an Amla Powder + Neem Powder mix (1/2 bag of amla & 1 tablespoon of neem) for one hour. Then deep conditioned with my own avocado butter + conditioner mix that I made myself.

Thanks ladies for all the responses after PM'ing with Aggie and Flowinglocks...thanks ladies..
I've come up with the following: I premixed in a sandwich bag 1 tbsp of alma and 2tbsp of bramhi

Tonight I will prepoo with a mix I made of Amla oil and Shikakai oil

Tomorrow I will add 1 cup hot water and 1 cup cold water to my powder mixture, mix them til blended
rinse with hot/warm water
pour the mixture over my head concentrating on my roots and ends
rinse hair very well
co wash with suave humectant
then DC with LeKair Cholesterol plus Aloe (I was gonna do a Maka and Brahmi mix with this but I didn't go back out to pick up the Maka)

My only question at this point is, do I use all 3 tbsps of my Brahmi Alma mixture or just a tsp or 2 of the mixture?? Sorry about all the questions I just want to be very careful...

Last edited:
Thanks ladies for all the responses after PM'ing with Aggie and Flowinglocks...thanks ladies..
I've come up with the following: I premixed in a sandwich bag 1 tbsp of alma and 2tbsp of bramhi

Tonight I will prepoo with a mix I made of Amla oil and Shikakai oil

Tomorrow I will add 1 cup hot water and 1 cup cold water to my powder mixture, mix them til blended
rinse with hot/warm water
pour the mixture over my head concentrating on my roots and ends
rinse hair very well
co wash with suave humectant
then DC with LeKair Cholesterol plus Aloe (I was gonna do a Maka and Brahmi mix with this but I didn't go back out to pick up the Maka)

My only question at this point is, do I use all 3 tbsps of my Brahmi Alma mixture or just a tsp or 2 of the mixture?? Sorry about all the questions I just want to be very careful...

This depends on a few variables.

1) It depends on the amount and length of hair you have
2) It depends on whether or not you will be mixing it with conditioners, oils, etc.
30 It depends on whether or not you are making enough just for one treatment or maybe 2 or 3.

So, let's narrow that down a bit. If you will be mixing with conditioners and oils and your hair is about shoulder to armpit length, then go for about 4 tablespoons of the mixture as that is fairly long hair. If your hair is under that, then use about 2 tablespoons. If I don't mix with conditioners, I usually have to use more powder and they are precious to me and I don't want to go through them too quickly so I would always mix with conditioner and oils.

Ultimately, play with the mixes until you get the right measurement for your hair though as truly, I don't know the true thickenss, length and density of your hair to give you an accurate measurement of the ingredients you'll need.

This depends on a few variables.

1) It depends on the amount and length of hair you have

2) It depends on whether or not you will be mixing it with conditioners, oils, etc.

30 It depends on whether or not you are making enough just for one treatment or maybe 2 or 3.

So, let's narrow that down a bit. If you will be mixing with conditioners and oils and your hair is about shoulder to armpit length, then go for about 4 tablespoons of the mixture as that is fairly long hair. If your hair is under that, then use about 2 tablespoons. If I don't mix with conditioners, I usually have to use more powder and they are precious to me and I don't want to go through them too quickly so I would always mix with conditioner and oils.

Ultimately, play with the mixes until you get the right measurement for your hair though as truly, I don't know the true thickenss, length and density of your hair to give you an accurate measurement of the ingredients you'll need.

Thanks Aggie...
Ok ladies I'll probably wait to report back in Tuesday morning. My airdry rollerset will take all day to dry....

Prepooing overnight with my ayurveda oil blend of shikakai, brahmi, amla and bhringraj oil mix. I just made an ayurveda tea and it will be steeping in distilled water only tonight. The purpose of the tea is to make a tea spritzer to spray through my cornrows. It consists of 2 Tbs each of amla, kalpi tone and brahmi powders.

In the morning, after I strain it, I will add some of the oil blend and a few drops of rosemary essentail oil to it, put in a spray bottle and use it daily as an ayurveda moisturizer spritzer. I should have about 24oz of it so I can use daily and still stay in this challenge for the duration of it. I can't wait to see how the tea spritzer will turns out tomorrow.

DC'ing now....and I have to say my hair felt very soft to the touch after shampooing with my Amla and Brahmi mix.....I can't wait for the end result, I'm thinking I may dry my roller set under my bonnett dryer so I can see the final results sooner.....would that cause a problem?

Update: I will need to add more oils to my mixture for a little more moisturizing and more water as the mix seems very concentrated. This may be a good thing though for strengthening purposes while in the braids.

I'm very happy with the results today. I sat under the dryer with my rollers but still anticipation got the best of me and I wasn't completely dry. Its ok I'll probably just put it in a but but my hair FEELS GREAT!!! I mean I was trying to explain how soft it felt to my friend and couldn't find the words. Thank you ladies for all your help, this is a definite must in my reggie!

And I won't even get started on my NG and how it feels......

Last edited:
I'm very happy with the results today. I sat under the dryer with my rollers but still anticipation got the best of me and I wasn't completely dry. Its ok I'll probably just put it in a but but my hair FEELS GREAT!!! I mean I was trying to explain how soft it felt to my friend and couldn't find the words. Thank you ladies for all your help, this is a definite must in my reggie!

And I won't even get started on my NG and how it feels......
Congrats on the soft & silky hair

I have a confession ladies....I was afraid to use the shikakai powders because everyone spoke about how drying they are and how you have to be sure to use the correct ratio of conditioning powders when using the shikakai....I already had a premix of 2 parts Brahmi, 1 part Amla and 1 part shikakai, but like I said I never used it I've just been using my 2 parts Brahmi 1 part Amla mix. This morning I added one more tbls of brahmi to my shikakai mix so now its 3 parts Brahmi, 1 part amla and 1 part shikakai...and my hair feels GREAT!!!!!!!! Ok sorry it was so long but I'm just so amazed, I love my powders!

I have a confession ladies....I was afraid to use the shikakai powders because everyone spoke about how drying they are and how you have to be sure to use the correct ratio of conditioning powders when using the shikakai....I already had a premix of 2 parts Brahmi, 1 part Amla and 1 part shikakai, but like I said I never used it I've just been using my 2 parts Brahmi 1 part Amla mix. This morning I added one more tbls of brahmi to my shikakai mix so now its 3 parts Brahmi, 1 part amla and 1 part shikakai...and my hair feels GREAT!!!!!!!! Ok sorry it was so long but I'm just so amazed, I love my powders!

Mrs R, my hair loves shikakai as well, but in small proportions. I believe that the strengthening properties in it works a lot like protein and that is why I would always do a DC treatment after using it. I do find however, that since I took it out of my henna recipe, that my hair is far less drying afterwards. I need to add this to update my fotki henna recipe:yep:.

If you do the shikakai just make sure you don't leave it in too long. I'm thinking even 5-10 minutes is good.

I switched my application up a bit and love it better. I was mixing amla, water and brahmi with conditioner and then applying but yesterday I didn't mix the conditioner and I loved how my hair felt. I still DCed after but overall I liked how my hair felt.

Back