Ayurveda Support Thread

Thanks i'll add more moisture and DC longer to see if it helps. I just looked at your products in your fotki. You must be rich to buy all that stuff. Just looking at it was hurting my pockets lol. I started looking for the page to submit my order lol.

You're welcomed and lol at you rpost about my product album.

Okay, I have used the paste and the tea and they both can be drying. Right now I am doing the paste. What I have discovered is that I will now use 1 tsp of brahmi ( more moisturizing ) and 1/2 tsp of amla.

Also when I airdry, I moisturize, seal with coconut oil and pin my ends up so they will be protected. Hope that helps. I noticed when I left my ends down to airdry my ends came out dry.

I use brahmi for growth and I use bhringraj and hibiscus petal powders for moisture but brahmi does have some moisturizing properties in it. Airdrying for me does seem drying as well and that is why baggying seem to work best for after an ayurveda treatment:yep:.

I am going to henna probably Saturday -so excited. My hair is about shoulder length how much henna powder should I use? I have a 200g bag, and I read Catherine's book and she talking about using the whole bag for my length, but that seems like way too much. Just want to be sure I use enough henna to get the best results.

Are you doing a henna gloss or the full henna and water only treatment Golden75? If it is a gloss that you're doing and mixing the henna with conditioner, other ayurveda powders and oil, then a whole bag would probably be too much. I would think you'd need only half a bag of henna. For my length of hair, I use 3/4 of a bag for a henna gloss. If you are using henna and water with amla powder only, then you would need the whole bag of henna for sure to properly cover your whole head, I'd imagine.

yay i just got my powders!
the brahmi amla oil smells horrid! :lachen:

DSC06903.jpg

Sent you a pm :drunk:

Yup! :yep: I keep it in the fridge tightly closed and the day I plan on washing my hair I take it out so it's warmer when I get home to use it.

It's still a little cold, so sometimes I pour some out and warm it up in my "designated Ayurveda pot" or just use it as-is...BRRRR. I've gotten used to it...it's not that bad :spinning:

I'm so happy to hear that Ayurveda worked for you!! You will be happy when you find bhringraj. According, to CandyC, it's pretty moisturizing.

Hi great regime. I just used ayurveda today for the first time and it is definitely going to be something I revisit weekly.
So you do henna treatments in addition to using henna in your shampoo?

Hey ladies, quick question:
I am currently pre pooing with amla oil&& aussie moist.
I plan on shampooing with my CON.
then I am going to to a light protein treatment with my aphogee 2 min.
If I DC with my alma/brahmi paste, is that moisturizing enough? or am I better off using something more moisturizing like humecto or AOHSR?
TIA!

Last edited:
I asked this in the "dumb question thread", but maybe someone can further help me out in this thread....
okay, so am i doing something wrong, or are the tea rinses supposed to be messy? I lean over my tub, but i don't think that it gets all over my hair, then you cant manipulate it to spread it. Then I put on a shower cap, and then thats when the tea is constantly dripping down my neck. So, is this what you all also go through? Is there an easier, less messier way?

Hey ladies, quick question:
I am currently pre pooing with amla oil&& aussie moist.
I plan on shampooing with my CON.
then I am going to to a light protein treatment with my aphogee 2 min.
If I DC with my alma/brahmi paste, is that moisturizing enough? or am I better off using something more moisturizing like humecto or AOHSR?
TIA!

I'd use something more moisturizing like the AOHSR if I were you.

I asked this in the "dumb question thread", but maybe someone can further help me out in this thread....
okay, so am i doing something wrong, or are the tea rinses supposed to be messy? I lean over my tub, but i don't think that it gets all over my hair, then you cant manipulate it to spread it. Then I put on a shower cap, and then thats when the tea is constantly dripping down my neck. So, is this what you all also go through? Is there an easier, less messier way?

I don't use the tea rinses for the same reason. I have a fenugreek te rinse that I use as a base to make other ayurveda pastes or to pour over my hair as a final rinse because it is extremely softening andleaves a lot of slip in my hair. Now as far as the teas used by Candy_C, nahh, my hair can't take that amount of stiffness, but the gloss type pastes work fine for me. I kept saying that I will give it another try later, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Just purchased Bhrami and Hisbiscus powders for the 1st time.....yayyyyy!

Hey N&W, I haven't seen you for a bit, miss you girl. I have those two powders and they are awesome especially the hibiscus. I really like the moisturizing power of that one a lot.

Hey N&W, I haven't seen you for a bit, miss you girl. I have those two powders and they are awesome especially the hibiscus. I really like the moisturizing power of that one a lot.
Hey sis...just coming back on since being on a much needed hiatus! Miss you too!

I'm glad I got it. I love using Ayurveda for my hair...nothing has been finer...I can't believe the difference in my hair..it's a beautiful thing!

Thanks for sharing about the hisbiscus....:yep:

Hey sis...just coming back on since being on a much needed hiatus! Miss you too!

I'm glad I got it. I love using Ayurveda for my hair...nothing has been finer...I can't believe the difference in my hair..it's a beautiful thing!

Thanks for sharing about the hisbiscus....:yep:

You're welcomed sweetie and by the way, that's a really cute baby in your siggy:yep:.

I just used henna for the first time on my dd's hair and I loved it. Her hair was strong, soft and took really well. First I applied coconut oil to her hair overnight. Then I used cassia obovata mixed with warm water. I let it sit on her hair under and shower cap for 1 hour. Then I rinsed, shampooed, and conditioned. Then I applied the pantene relaxed and natural mask as a dc for 30 minutes and rinsed her hair really good in the shower. There was a little bit of the henna left but after detangling, it came out. I styled her hair using the afroveda kit I'd purchased and it looks so nice. I took some pics along the way and will be uploading them to a blog I am starting which shows how I care for The Supremes' hair. Take care ladies. Q

What? You don't like the smell of hot a**? LMAO

girl!:lachen::lachen:

:lachen:

I have Vadik Herbs Brahmi Amla oil and it doesn't smell bad. It has a sesame seed oil base. It just smells really herbally (if that's a word, lol).

sounds interesting..the ingredients are intresting too:
Sesame Seed oil, Bilwa, Brahmi, Amla, Ashwagandha, Kanta Kari, Gokshura, Bala, Neem, Purnarnava, Atibala, Agnimantha, Prasarani, Patal Twak, Shatawari, Mishreya , Jatamansi , Turmeric, Daruharidra, Shailja, Sandalwood, Pushkarmool, Ela , Manjistha, Yasti Madhu, Tagar, Musta, Tejpatra, Bringraj, Jiwak, Vacha, Kama Duda

sounds interesting..the ingredients are intresting too:
Sesame Seed oil, Bilwa, Brahmi, Amla, Ashwagandha, Kanta Kari, Gokshura, Bala, Neem, Purnarnava, Atibala, Agnimantha, Prasarani, Patal Twak, Shatawari, Mishreya , Jatamansi , Turmeric, Daruharidra, Shailja, Sandalwood, Pushkarmool, Ela , Manjistha, Yasti Madhu, Tagar, Musta, Tejpatra, Bringraj, Jiwak, Vacha, Kama Duda

HUH????

Jeez, so much to learn!

I don't use the tea rinses for the same reason. I have a fenugreek te rinse that I use as a base to make other ayurveda pastes or to pour over my hair as a final rinse because it is extremely softening andleaves a lot of slip in my hair. Now as far as the teas used by Candy_C, nahh, my hair can't take that amount of stiffness, but the gloss type pastes work fine for me. I kept saying that I will give it another try later, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks Aggie for the response!! How do you use the fenugreek tea rinse?

^^^Bumping for more replies for my question.

When I do a tea rinse I usually mix together whatever powders I choose in the strainer to my tea pot. It's usually 2 or more of the following: Amla, Bhrinjraj, Bhrami, Fenugreek, Horsetail, Nettle, Shikakai, or Neem. I boil my water in a separate pot, then pour it over my herbs & let it brew for about 30mins. because I like it nice & strong. Then I pour the strained mixture into a gallon plastic pitcher & fill the rest of the way up with cool water, this cools the mixture, dilutes it , and stretches it. How long I leave it on depends on what I'm using & the time of day. If it's early I'll do Horsetail in my final rinse along with other herbs, I NEVER do this one at night cause it hypes me up. If cleansing is my primary concern I'll do Shikakai, Amla, & Neem. Rinse & follow up with a DC with the moisturizing herbs Bhringraj, Bhrami, Fenugreek, (Hibiscus if I had it) since Aggie raves about it:grin: If it's strength, moisture, condition, I will DC FIRST THEN do a final rinse with the latter herbs I just mentioned. I don't rinse this out. I usually plug my kitchen sink, pour my rinse over my head, swish my ends & dunk whatever part of my head (usually just the crown) in the mixture. I then use a cup to scoop up what's in the sink & pour it over the back & sides repeatedly. Then I gently wring out my hair & put on a plastic cap (only if I plan on rinsing) I let this sit for about 30. mins then rinse. If I DON'T plan on rinsing I just towel dry gently detangle & air dry. When I'm done my hair feels SOOOOO strong & it does stop shedding in it's tracks:yep: I'm sorry for the long post, I thought it might help some of the Newbies to tea rinsing.

Last edited:
I feel bad because i been slacking on my ayurvedic regimen. my powders last forever cuz i hardly use them. i been such a strong ayurvedic user over the summer when i was home: but now that i'm back on campus: its hard to always follow my regimen. Ladies how do you stick to it?
Do you force yourself no matter what to use Ayurvedic products at least once a week if your extremely busy? (HASO) ->Help A Sistah Out.

I feel bad because i been slacking on my ayurvedic regimen. my powders last forever cuz i hardly use them. i been such a strong ayurvedic user over the summer when i was home: but now that i'm back on campus: its hard to always follow my regimen. Ladies how do you stick to it?
Do you force yourself no matter what to use Ayurvedic products at least once a week if your extremely busy? (HASO) ->Help A Sistah Out.

The easiest way I found is to just mix the powders in my cowash or DC, also having the powders premixed helps a lot if you're in a hurry. I also keep Ayurvedic oils on hand it all time so even if I'm not cowashing or DCing the herbs are always in my hair.

Last edited:
When I do a tea rinse I usually mix together whatever powders I chose in the strainer to my tea pot. It's usually 2 or more of the following: Amla, Bhrinjraj, Bhrami, Fenugreek, Horsetail, Nettle, Shikakai, or Neem. I boil my water in a separate pot, then pour it over my herbs & let it brew for about 30mins. because I like it nice & strong. Then I pour the strained mixture into a gallon plastic pitcher & fill the rest of the way up with cool water, this cools the mixture, dilutes it , and stretches it. How long I leave it on depends on what I'm using & the time of day. If it's early I'll do Horsetail in my final rinse along with other herbs, I NEVER do this one at night cause it hypes me up. If cleansing is my primary concern I'll do Shikakai, Amla, & Neem. Rinse & follow up with a DC with the moisturizing herbs Bhringraj, Bhrami, Fenugreek, (Hibiscus if I had it) since Aggie raves about it:grin: If it's strength, moisture, condition, I will DC FIRST THEN do a final rinse with the latter herbs I just mentioned. I don't rinse this out. I usually plug my kitchen sink, pour my rinse over my head, swish my ends & dunk whatever part of my head (usually just the crown) in the mixture. I then use a cup to scoop up what's in the sink & pour it over the back & sides repeatedly. Then i gently wring out my hair & put on a plastic cap (only if I plan on rinsing) I let this sit for about 30. mins then rinse. If I DON'T plan on rinsing I just towel dry gently detangle & air dry. When I'm done my hair feels SOOOOO strong & it does stop shedding in it's tracks:yep: I'm sorry for the long post, I thought it might help some of the Newbies to tea rinsing.

i dont know about not rinsing out, but i think this is a really great idea for making sure all of the hair is coated/saturated with the rinse. i think im going to try this.

I'm new at Ayurveda hair care but I must say I am really enjoying the oils and the smell does not bother me as much.

As far as the powders, I'm trying to find out what my hair likes, how many tsp. of this or that and the strength of the tea.

I tried to co-wash with the powders but that really left a lot of bits & pieces in my hair.

I'm still working on a regimen but overall I'm happy!

The easiest way I found is to just mix the powders in my cowash or DC, also having the powders premixed helps a lot it you're in a hurry. I also keep Ayurvedic oils on hand it all time so even if I'm not cowashing or DCing the herbs are always in my hair.

I found that i've been lazy to mix the powders and do rinses. This is a great tip. Thanks

I have made a tea rinse to use as my final rinse followed by an ACV rinse. The tea is made up of Maka, Fenugreek, and Hibiscus flower powder. Should I rinse with water after using this rinse before doing the ACV?

Most people usually do a tea rinse while they are in the shower. When I get in the shower, I normally wash my hair first, pour the tea on to my hair and leave it in. I go about my normal shower. Then rinse out the tea.

The dripping ... can I ask why you're using teas instead of pastes? If you're looking to baggy out of the shower, I suggest you use a paste. I use teas (in the shower) when I'm in braids, but always pastes when out of braids.

Getting the tea on all the hair ... pour it in sections. If you have to, actually loosely braid your hair in four section. Use a small stream to pour on one section and make sure it is completely saturated. Braid it back up. Repeat on the next braid.

When I do a tea rinse I usually mix together whatever powders I chose in the strainer to my tea pot. It's usually 2 or more of the following: Amla, Bhrinjraj, Bhrami, Fenugreek, Horsetail, Nettle, Shikakai, or Neem. I boil my water in a separate pot, then pour it over my herbs & let it brew for about 30mins. because I like it nice & strong. Then I pour the strained mixture into a gallon plastic pitcher & fill the rest of the way up with cool water, this cools the mixture, dilutes it , and stretches it. How long I leave it on depends on what I'm using & the time of day. If it's early I'll do Horsetail in my final rinse along with other herbs, I NEVER do this one at night cause it hypes me up. If cleansing is my primary concern I'll do Shikakai, Amla, & Neem. Rinse & follow up with a DC with the moisturizing herbs Bhringraj, Bhrami, Fenugreek, (Hibiscus if I had it) since Aggie raves about it:grin: If it's strength, moisture, condition, I will DC FIRST THEN do a final rinse with the latter herbs I just mentioned. I don't rinse this out. I usually plug my kitchen sink, pour my rinse over my head, swish my ends & dunk whatever part of my head (usually just the crown) in the mixture. I then use a cup to scoop up what's in the sink & pour it over the back & sides repeatedly. Then i gently wring out my hair & put on a plastic cap (only if I plan on rinsing) I let this sit for about 30. mins then rinse. If I DON'T plan on rinsing I just towel dry gently detangle & air dry. When I'm done my hair feels SOOOOO strong & it does stop shedding in it's tracks:yep: I'm sorry for the long post, I thought it might help some of the Newbies to tea rinsing.

Wow, this (the bolded) sounds brilliant. And I thought that you were always suppose to rinse the teas out?? :perplexed

Most people usually do a tea rinse while they are in the shower. When I get in the shower, I normally wash my hair first, pour the tea on to my hair and leave it in. I go about my normal shower. Then rinse out the tea.

The dripping ... can I ask why you're using teas instead of pastes? If you're looking to baggy out of the shower, I suggest you use a paste. I use teas (in the shower) when I'm in braids, but always pastes when out of braids.

Getting the tea on all the hair ... pour it in sections. If you have to, actually loosely braid your hair in four section. Use a small stream to pour on one section and make sure it is completely saturated. Braid it back up. Repeat on the next braid.

Okay, so I tried to make a paste, but it's never pasty; it's always runny. Does that make sense? Then if I use less water, then the mixture definitely won't be enough to go over my whole head. :spinning: I dunno, I like the way this ayurvedic stuff make my hair feel, I'm just making sure I'm on the right page.

Back