Ayurveda Support Thread

Brahmi, Maka, and Amla powders :up:

You mean maca root powder right? The dible superfood stuff? Just lernt today from Candy's fotki that it's ayurvedic as well - I love natural products - so multi-faceted!

Truth be told though - it's so dear, I'm reluctant to use it on hair:blush:

You mean maca root powder right? The dible superfood stuff? Just lernt today from Candy's fotki that it's ayurvedic as well - I love natural products - so multi-faceted!

Truth be told though - it's so dear, I'm reluctant to use it on hair:blush:

I think she means Maka as in Bhringraj.

The only powders that I use so far that I don't like are aritha - it dries out my hair too much and tulsi - too much herbal pieces in it and it leaves my hair kinda dry too:nono:. I love love love bhringraj, brahmi, shikakai, amla, kalpi tone, and hibiscus petal powders so far:yep:.

The only powders that I use so far that I don't like are aritha - it dries out my hair too much and tulsi - too much herbal pieces in it and it leaves my hair kinda dry too:nono:. I love love love bhringraj, brahmi, shikakai, amla, kalpi tone, and hibiscus petal powders so far:yep:.

Hey Aggie, I just bought some hibiscus powder. How do you use yours?

I want to join the Ayurvedic club! I have been wanting to do this for a while but I was so confused. I read a bit and decided to take it slow and add on as I learn more. Last week I bought Amla oil, Shikakai powder, and Vatika oil from a local indian grocery store. What I have done so far is pre poo with the Amla oil and some coconut oil I had already and did a scalp massage, then let it sit for about 2 hours. In a bowl I mixed some Shikakai powder and some conditioner and then I got in the shower and rinsed a lil bit then I used the mixture like I would a shampoo but I let it sit for a few mins then rinsed. After I got out I put the Amla and Vatika oil on my hair and put in plaits to air dry. My hair was so soft and it smelled so good from the Vatika oil, it smelled like coconuts!

I don't like Aritha either:nono: Too drying, I wonder can I use it to wash
clothes......

Yes you can! I've been usung soapnuts for laundry for 3 years now and I love them. I only discovered last year that aritha is the same thing :yep:. Always put them in a muslin bag though. Alternatively, as aritha is in powder form, and I don't know if it'll stay in a bag, why not make a concoction for your skin? Perhaps a face/body mask, just to use it up?

Is there a thread on making the paste with conditioner and powders, and which one is better the tea rinse or the paste????? I just started, but my paste is ok, but I might have too much powder.....

Is there a thread on making the paste with conditioner and powders, and which one is better the tea rinse or the paste????? I just started, but my paste is ok, but I might have too much powder.....

LongHairDontCare (DenverGirl) has a great post about this:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=228123

I don't make the a huge container of this anymore. I just make enough for one cowash. The consistency is creamy so if yours has a little too much powder, try adding more condish. Hope this helps.

Hey Aggie, I just bought some hibiscus powder. How do you use yours?

JBH, hibiscus petal powder is a moisturizing powder and I tend to use it more often in my henna mixes to counteract it's drying effects along with bhringraj which is also a moizturizing powder. I did add some to my cowash this morning too and it's still on my head right now. I make mine similar to Denvergirl (aka longhairdontcare) all mixed up with cheapie conditioners, oils and distilled water. I need to wash this out right now, my 30 minutes are up:grin:.

Yes you can! I've been usung soapnuts for laundry for 3 years now and I love them. I only discovered last year that aritha is the same thing :yep:. Always put them in a muslin bag though. Alternatively, as aritha is in powder form, and I don't know if it'll stay in a bag, why not make a concoction for your skin? Perhaps a face/body mask, just to use it up?

Ah Ha, I was just thinking this Jaxhair. I think I will use it the way I use baking soda on my face as a scrub:scratchch. I mean it is clarifying and so it should take out some of the oils out of my VERY oily skin:yep:. I'll do this today as a matter of fact but I'll only use a little of it and see what happens.

LongHairDontCare (DenverGirl) has a great post about this:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=228123

I don't make the a huge container of this anymore. I just make enough for one cowash. The consistency is creamy so if yours has a little too much powder, try adding more condish. Hope this helps.

:yep:, I have this mixture on my hair right now as a cowash paste. I don't care for the rinses too much but I might start doing them soon because the paste method is a bit time consuming for me.

LOOK WHAT I PURCHASED TODAY ???

I found a recipe for co - wash so I am going to make a co- wash. I started to by Orange powder also for my face. But I decided to just by neem Soap.

IMG_0698.jpg

I will be mixing my powder with Conditioner. Is it OK to use Shikakai every day mixed in coditioner?

Last edited:
Wonderful stash there Zeal. There are ladies that do daily co-washes with shikakai and condish. Never tried it myself, but have a go, see how you like it. There's a thread somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and post you a link.....

Has anyone used straight Kalpi Tone with no added shikakai, aritha, neem, etc., and not experienced build-up? I don't have any cleansing powders so I have still been using shampoo but I want to stop and just use my powders but I'm afraid I will get build-up. Should I purchase some cleansing powders or will I be ok with just Kalpi Tone? I have:
Kalpi Tone
Amla
Brahmi
Hibiscus
Methi

TIA!

Back