Ayurveda Support Thread

Has anyone used straight Kalpi Tone with no added shikakai, aritha, neem, etc., and not experienced build-up? I don't have any cleansing powders so I have still been using shampoo but I want to stop and just use my powders but I'm afraid I will get build-up. Should I purchase some cleansing powders or will I be ok with just Kalpi Tone? I have:
Kalpi Tone
Amla
Brahmi
Hibiscus
Methi

TIA!

I have kalpi tone but haven't used it by itself as yet but I will try it when I take down my sew-in and after a relaxer though. I know that the aritha powder is a cleansing/clarifying powder and you can use it for buildup if you want. I don't use it on my hair anymore because it caused my hair to become extremely dry so I only use it as a scrub on my face. It keeps my oily skin in check and leaves my face very smooth so I'm glad I didn't have to chuck it afterall:yep:.

Kalpi Tone users, can I use this to infuse into an oil? It's got all the stuff my hair likes in it.

You should be able to infuse any of the powders into oils I'd imagine. This should make a very interesting oil. Let us know how it turns out if you do try it, okay?

New to the Ayurveda world so please bear with me.

I have read some of the post here but can someone tell me if leaving the oils (castor oil and Dabur Amla oil)in you hair is a good idea. I use them as a sealant but I have also noticed since doing this my scalp and daughter's head itch more.

Do the oils have to be washed out?

New to the Ayurveda world so please bear with me.

I have read some of the post here but can someone tell me if leaving the oils (castor oil and Dabur Amla oil)in you hair is a good idea. I use them as a sealant but I have also noticed since doing this my scalp and daughter's head itch more.

Do the oils have to be washed out?

In my opinion, they are only meant to be left on the hair for a short period of time to overnight as pre-poos. My scalp[ does seem to itch a lot if I left oils on it for too long.

Castor oil can be used daily. I sometimes use it on my strands but definitely try and wash the Dabur Amla oil out. If you find the castor oil too strong try mixing it with EVOO, jojoba oil or avocado oil.

I did my first ayurveda wash and my ends are soooo dry. My hair is soft up until my ends. I can't figure out what I did wrong. I used amla and maka to make a paste. Did the prepoo, did the 3 cowashs, DCed, put in leave ins, then air dried. It made my color alot richer, which is great. But my ends are sooo dry and rough. What to do?

I did my first ayurveda wash and my ends are soooo dry. My hair is soft up until my ends. I can't figure out what I did wrong. I used amla and maka to make a paste. Did the prepoo, did the 3 cowashs, DCed, put in leave ins, then air dried. It made my color alot richer, which is great. But my ends are sooo dry and rough. What to do?

Sounds like you need some extra moisture on those ends, I usually soak my ends in HS 14 in 1, or S curl before I do my protective style. I know a lot of ppl don't like Cantu Shea butter, but it leaves my hair sooo moist & soft. If I ever felt like my hair wasn't soft enough I would also apply my cheapie Suave cond. to the ends as a leave in. I have pretty much stopped using paste mixed with water altogether. I usually put a teaspoon each of whatever powders I want to use in a bowl & mix with cond. only, no water sometimes I add a little oil. This method has made it so much easier to rinse, not to mention my hair feels soft from roots to ends:yep:

Last edited:
In my opinion, they are only meant to be left on the hair for a short period of time to overnight as pre-poos. My scalp[ does seem to itch a lot if I left oils on it for too long.

Eeep, really? I made my own Amla and Brahmi oil, and I've been using it every other day or so without rinsing it out...Will that damage my scalp, or is it just an issue with itchiness?

Eeep, really? I made my own Amla and Brahmi oil, and I've been using it every other day or so without rinsing it out...Will that damage my scalp, or is it just an issue with itchiness?

I have oils I have infused with Amla, Neem, & Shikakai. I also have one with Bhringraj, Bhrami, & Amla. I have use these for prepoos (which I rarely do now because my hair/scalp is always oiled.) & as a leave in, I have never had a problem with itching. I also oil my scalp nightly with either Vatika or Bhrami oil. I think it depends on the sensitivity of your scalp.

You should be able to infuse any of the powders into oils I'd imagine. This should make a very interesting oil. Let us know how it turns out if you do try it, okay?

I absolutely will. I'm buying supplies now. I'm aiming to make a really awesome prepoo treatment.

Did you moisturize your hair after you airdried it? How long did you DC for? I often DC for at least an hour after using ayurveda products, and sometimes even longer.

It's mostly an issue with itchiness. Oil is great on the hair but causes itchiness when left on the scalp too long....for me anyway.

Hi guys..I have question...Currently I have found the perfect moisturizing ayurvedic mix...but I am searching for a protein blend..What powders can I mix together to get a protein treatment (paste or conditioner) for my hair? Let me know. Thanks

Did you moisturize your hair after you airdried it? How long did you DC for? I often DC for at least an hour after using ayurveda products, and sometimes even longer.

I moisturized after I air dried and I DCed for 30 min with heat. My ends are finally soft and moisturized two days later. I moisturized three times a day for the past two days and finally sprayed my leave in on my hair. Finally some moisture. But I don't want to have to go through this everytime. Can using too much paste cause dryness?

I love the Amla, and Bhringraj powders which are great for hair loss, thin hairm and grey hair....rose petal powder. It is good to mix all 3 powders in plastic bowl with any conditioner and a little water for a pasty feel:drunk:leave on for 20 min with heat cap DC////////

I moisturized after I air dried and I DCed for 30 min with heat. My ends are finally soft and moisturized two days later. I moisturized three times a day for the past two days and finally sprayed my leave in on my hair. Finally some moisture. But I don't want to have to go through this everytime. Can using too much paste cause dryness?

Well ayurveda powders are pretty drying so the main thing is to DC longer with a very moisturizing deep conditioner, add a water based leave in and moisturize properly immediately after air drying. I remember my first time using the powders that I had to baggy my whole head the night afterwards - I used a water-based moisturizer, sealed with oil and covered with a plastic cap and the following morning I had smooth soft hair. Hope this helps.

Hi guys..I have question...Currently I have found the perfect moisturizing ayurvedic mix...but I am searching for a protein blend..What powders can I mix together to get a protein treatment (paste or conditioner) for my hair? Let me know. Thanks

Most of the powders are used for strengthening the hair like amla, shikakai, brahmi, and kalpi tone so you won't have a problem putting a strengthening regimen together using the powders.

Most of the powders are used for strengthening the hair like amla, shikakai, brahmi, and kalpi tone so you won't have a problem putting a strengthening regimen together using the powders.

So if I mix my amla, shikakai and brami to conditoner..that is like the proten treatment? And then following with a nice moisture dc would be the moisture? Cool..so I was on the right track..thanks Aggie :)

So if I mix my amla, shikakai and brami to conditoner..that is like the proten treatment? And then following with a nice moisture dc would be the moisture? Cool..so I was on the right track..thanks Aggie :)

Don't know if you use henna or cassia obtava (sp?) but they act like protein treatments as well.

HTH

Woooowwww. Now I see what everyone has been raving about! I finally decided to give co-washing another try and I'm SO glad I did! I did a paste with Kalpi Tone, Methi, and Hibiscus powder, let that sit on my dry hair for 20 minutes, did a quick rinse with a Kalpi Tone tea, then rinsed and ran Aussie Moist through my hair a few times, then continued with my regular routine and all I can say is wow. My ends have never felt this hydrated before! I ended up standing in the bathroom, touching my hair and thinking, "Ok....what can I put on this?" :lachen: It took me a good three or four minutes before I decided to put just a dime sized amount of my trusty ORS Lotion for my whole head and some Almond Oil. But I'm pretty sure I could have gone without putting anything on it.

I already ordered some shikakai powder last night to make a quick and easy co-wash with, so I will probably just end up using that in addition to my paste when my hair starts to feel like it has build-up on it, cuz my hair feels very clean and soft right now after rinsing with just regular conditioner. I'm so happy! :drunk:

Well ayurveda powders are pretty drying so the main thing is to DC longer with a very moisturizing deep conditioner, add a water based leave in and moisturize properly immediately after air drying. I remember my first time using the powders that I had to baggy my whole head the night afterwards - I used a water-based moisturizer, sealed with oil and covered with a plastic cap and the following morning I had smooth soft hair. Hope this helps.

Thanks i'll add more moisture and DC longer to see if it helps. I just looked at your products in your fotki. You must be rich to buy all that stuff. Just looking at it was hurting my pockets lol. I started looking for the page to submit my order lol.

Okay, I have used the paste and the tea and they both can be drying. Right now I am doing the paste. What I have discovered is that I will now use 1 tsp of brahmi ( more moisturizing ) and 1/2 tsp of amla.

Also when I airdry, I moisturize, seal with coconut oil and pin my ends up so they will be protected. Hope that helps. I noticed when I left my ends down to airdry my ends came out dry.

I am going to henna probably Saturday -so excited. My hair is about shoulder length how much henna powder should I use? I have a 200g bag, and I read Catherine's book and she talking about using the whole bag for my length, but that seems like way too much. Just want to be sure I use enough henna to get the best results.

I had my first ayurvedic experience today! I am in loooovvvee! I made a paste with amla and water. let it sit in my hair for about 15 minutes. My hair felt different, in a good way. Next time I am def. DC with this. *off to order 10 more boxes of amla powder*

:yep:, you're on the right track and you're welcomed.

Back