Ayurveda Support Thread

I asked this in another thread but I'll ask it here as well. I have a quick question. Has anybody created a brahmi/amla spray? I'm thinking of boiling some water adding those 2 powders, straining the grit out then using it as a daily spray? Would that work or bad idea?

I don't see why it wouldn't, you might want to add a little EO to help preserve it. Maybe a little Glycerin for extra moisture???

Thanks flowinlocks. I am going to take these herbs down because I am taking notes on how to make our hair oil. I really want to make 2 new hair oils but with the best herbal oils and nice natural scents as well. Coconut will be one of the bases, but not sure for the second one.... I'd love any feedback on this.

For those that use the powders, do you think that a flour sifter would be good to get all the twigs and stuff out?

Flour Sifter looks like this:

I think a sifter like that might work pretty well but not good enough, at least not for me. Just because I'm personally a bit picky, and I like my powders to be sifted through a fine mesh cloth. But it's messy work. Like if it were me, this might work better (and this is the body artist trick when making henna paste): use a fine nylon stocking inside a wide mouthed cup, and put all that paste into that nylon stocking (a cheap one) and then push and pull the stocking down until all the paste comes through the tiny little holes of the stocking (just make sure you are pushing it back into either a carrot bag or zippy bag or even a large wide bowl should work), and you will truly see just how much STUFF is in the powders.

I do this all the time with my henna paste for body art. If there is a lot of twigs and fibers in the powder, then you might lose a lot of product and it might be tough to push it out as well. (through the stocking that is).

I use these they are soooo convenient!

Oh and for anybody mixing their powders with aqueous products (conditioners for eg.) be careful. I wouldn't make more than a few days worth.. you don't wanna grow any nasties in there.
Darn, really? How would I know if it's bad?

I was thinking that it should be able to last as long as the conditioner itself would since there are typically some additives to the conditioner. I have a jumbo bottle of HUmecto that I added shikakai powder to a while back. I actually had two bottles, but just finished one. Do you think there is a way to make a larger batch?

Darn, really? How would I know if it's bad?

I was thinking that it should be able to last as long as the conditioner itself would since there are typically some additives to the conditioner. I have a jumbo bottle of HUmecto that I added shikakai powder to a while back. I actually had two bottles, but just finished one. Do you think there is a way to make a larger batch?

I dunno, maybe add some preservative type essential oil to it. That might work. I saw them on www.fromnaturewithlove.com.

Thanks, Aggie.

I am pretty sure I added Vitamin-E as a preservative when I first made it. I just want to make sure I don't do harm instead of good.
I would hate to waste all that condish, but better safe than sorry. Plus, it's the cheapy Suave, so I should be alright.
I think I will just make small batches; enough for just one daily use.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Aggie.

I am pretty sure I added Vitamin-E as a preservative when I first made it. I just want to make sure I don't do harm instead of good.
I would hate to waste all that condish, but better safe than sorry. Plus, it's the cheapy Suave, so I should be alright.
I think I will just make small batches; enough for just one daily use.

Thanks again.
You're welcomed DaRealist.

I've seen those exact same tea bags because when I was pregnant I was drinking a nauseum type of tea for my morning sickness. It was a bunch of loose herbs and I used those same tea bags for brewing it. I would say try to find those same tea bags at your local health food store or organic market as I am sure they must have them. I bought mine in Montreal.

But anywhere that deals with loose herbal teas would know or sell them.

I have hibiscus petal powder that I bought from www.fromnaturewithlove.com and it looks just like this powder here but I think this one is cheaper. I may buy it because the last time I checked, they were out of stock at fnwl.com.

They have it in stock here, I just bought some last night
http://ruchita.mybisi.com/category/Hair-Products_83255_Page1.html
I will probably order the one from amazon anyway, where I come from you just don't pass up a deal like that, even if it IS redundant! :lachen:

I KNOW IM ALL LATE BUT DOES EVERYONE ELSES AMLA OIL HAVE THE TOP INGREDIENT LISTED AS MINERAL OIL? I DIDNT PAY ATENTION TO THAT IN THE STORE BUT WHEN I GOT HOME AND LOOKED I SAID THIS CANT B IT!

LET ME KNOW IF I HAVE THE WRONG THING PLEASE?

Yup, mineral oil is the reason I've not bought any of these oils except for vatika. Thank God for the recipes and info here, now I'll be able to make my own.

It's true that MOST of the ayurvedic herbal hair oils on the market right now contain as their first ingredient as mineral oil and the percentage of actual herbal extracts in them is very low. or THEY DON'T even list the ingredients and leave you wondering.

Natural oils are better.

I avoid mineral oils in almost all my hair products but when it comes to my ayurveda oils, I don't really care however, I was able to find some really great oils at www.garrysun.com. They don't have mineral oil listed in the ingredients list and they don't smell bad either. I usually speak to a lady named Karen when I call in my orders. I don't always use the site to order because I often have a ton of questions:grin:.

Edited to add: I bought a 16oz bottle each of amla, brahmi, and bhringraj oil from them and I love them all.

I just started using ayurvedic products again and I love it! I got my products from a store in Berkeley and the lady gave me an oil called Eclipta-Raj. I googled it and apparently there's a patent pending for some hair growth product with this oil in it.

I have that and Bring-raj oil that I used on my scalp last week. The next day I used a Brahmi, Amla, Hibisbus and Chamomile mixture and then conditioned with HSR Aubrey Organics conditioner. Wow! I'm BSL and will be MBL before the end of the year.

I just got some shikaki and aritha powders that I'll try this week.

I don't want to use too much amla and/or hibiscus as I'm trying not to darken my hair but get it back to it's normal light red color after doing way too many dye-released henna treatments two years ago (didn't realize the dye was permanent! d'oh!) and darker rinses to cover my grays.

QUESTION: after reading this thread I should stop using the powders a week before and after my relaxer....correct?

I'm thrilled that this is working for so many others because my hair feels like a rat's nest after my first treatment. I really do not think that I'll be trying this again as my hair is dry, wiry, and overall shedding with breakage. I am soooo mad, especially since I still have 2 unopened boxes of the powders and oils for days left.

I'm thrilled that this is working for so many others because my hair feels like a rat's nest after my first treatment. I really do not think that I'll be trying this again as my hair is dry, wiry, and overall shedding with breakage. I am soooo mad, especially since I still have 2 unopened boxes of the powders and oils for days left.

Don't give up yet! Have you tried mixing your powders with a moisturizing condish? That's the way I use my powders.:look:

Have you tried deep conditioning overnight after the henna treatment? Try using a very moisturizing conditioner like Aubrey Organics White camellia conditioner - it doesn't have proteins in it so it's perfect for softneing hair after a henna treatment.

Just tweek it a bit. I made my hair hard and my beautician asked me what did you put in your hair. I told her Cantu shea butter:lachen:. I used the paste on my scalp and hair and co-washed without deep conditioning. :blush: I knew better but I was ready to get through. You can't rush beauty. I have learned my lesson.

FYI.... I just bought some powders from Ruchita Ayurveda at ruchita.mybisi.com, and they said LHCF can get a 15% discount with this code, LHCF15....

Hey I want to jump on the Ayurveda bandwagon. I've already ordered some henna, but I also want to know which other Ayurveda powders/oils aid in increasing hair thickness and growth? Thanks!

Back