Ayurveda Support Thread

Okay, I just henna'd last night. Is it too soon to do a henna gloss this weekend?

It depends Eisani, on what you're doing it to achieve. If it's for coloring, then yes, it's too soon but if it's for conditioning then no it's not. Some ladies henna once a week with a lot of success and others, their hair dries out a lot, probably because they don't follow the henna treatments with enough moisturizing conditioning.

So just watch your hair closely and see how much it can handle. If you have thick coarse hair, then it may be able to handle the extra henna treatments. I on the other hand, can henna every 2-3 weeks successfully because my I have fine strands.

It depends Eisani, on what you're doing it to achieve. If it's for coloring, then yes, it's too soon but if it's for conditioning then no it's not. Some ladies henna once a week with a lot of success and others, their hair dries out a lot, probably because they don't follow the henna treatments with enough moisturizing conditioning.

So just watch your hair closely and see how much it can handle. If you have thick coarse hair, then it may be able to handle the extra henna treatments. I on the other hand, can henna every 2-3 weeks successfully because my I have fine strands.
I only want to do it for conditioning this weekend. My hair is very dense, but fine so I'm thinking the every 2-3 weeks w/b good for me as well. Thank you!

For adding the powders directly to the conditioner it should be a problem because conditioner is not perishable like let's say yoghurt can be. In those instances where a product is perishable then it's better to mix the powder first into a very thick mud-like paste and then let it sit for a little bit depending on which powder you are using, and then mix with the other ingredient like the conditioner or yoghurt.

This is what I'd do. I'd be mixing the powder up first like a paste then adding any extra conditioner or oils to it when it was ready to be used. But it won't really make a huge difference only unless you are using something perishable.

I have done this method also, I just mix the powders directly in my conditioners because sometimes I don't use it all & I don't want to mix water so it will keep longer. I usually use any premixed concoctions within a few weeks with no problems.

i jumped back on the ayurv wagon. After viewing medmonkey ad lavendar's fotki i decided to give it a go. before i was using the powders like a tea. That didnt work well.

now im shampoo 1x a week with shik mix with water with a few skirts of condish as a paste. then i condish regularly afterwards. of course i pre oil with brahmi.
This has been working well for me. But i want to buy brahmi powder.
Can anyone tell me where i can find maka or brah? sp powder?

the only think is my past gets kind of clumpy when im applying.

Funny you asked. I just got mine out of the mailbox like 15 minutes ago! I ordered from here...

[email protected]
USA WHOLESALE AND RETAIL DEALS - Ebay Store
Maka (BHRINGRAJ) POWDER

He has a Ebay store. If you want his phone number you can PM me. Super fast shipping, I ordered this week and got it today. This was the only place I could find it. Everything I try FNWL they are out.
Hope this helps.

Funny you asked. I just got mine out of the mailbox like 15 minutes ago! I ordered from here...

[email protected]
USA WHOLESALE AND RETAIL DEALS - Ebay Store
Maka (BHRINGRAJ) POWDER

He has a Ebay store. If you want his phone number you can PM me. Super fast shipping, I ordered this week and got it today. This was the only place I could find it. Everything I try FNWL they are out.
Hope this helps.

wow thanks for hte info im looking now

I did Henna and Indigo for the first time last weekend. I have to admit, my hair feels stronger.:grin: But it felt "straw-like" for a few days but I co washed and DC'd daily so that helped. I'm going to continue using this.:yep:

Im new to Ayurveda, I just order Aritha, Maka, Tripala powders and I have Vitaka and Alma oil. I want to achieve hair growth and moisture and strong healthy hair. Is it ok to use Alma oil on my hair everyday as a moisturizer?

Im new to Ayurveda, I just order Aritha, Maka, Tripala powders and I have Vitaka and Alma oil. I want to achieve hair growth and moisture and strong healthy hair. Is it ok to use Alma oil on my hair everyday as a moisturizer?

Oils are not moisturizers. They can be used as sealants though and many people pre-poo and scritch their scalps with it.

LadyAggie, THANK YOU for the fenugreek tea recipe in your Fotki album :kiss:. I used it last night when I did my henna gloss. I used:
henna
fenugreek powder
amla oil
shikakai oil
Suave Humectant conditioner
Jojoba oil for prepoo

I used the tea and a bit of rose water in the mix and let it sit on my hair for about an hour. I then rinsed and cowashed w/Hairveda Moist 24/7, rinsed and poured a little of the tea over my hair. OMG, my hair was so soft I didn't want to DC!! I needed a wee bit of protein so I DC'd w/a mixture of Hairveda SitriNillah, Pantene R&N Breakage Defense, and a couple squirts of Megatek. I rinsed this out and used the tea as my final rinse. My hair feels so soft, strong, plush and lush :laugh:!! I'll be using the tea on a regular basis.

LadyAggie, THANK YOU for the fenugreek tea recipe in your Fotki album :kiss:. I used it last night when I did my henna gloss. I used:
henna
fenugreek powder
amla oil
shikakai oil
Suave Humectant conditioner
Jojoba oil for prepoo

I used the tea and a bit of rose water in the mix and let it sit on my hair for about an hour. I then rinsed and cowashed w/Hairveda Moist 24/7, rinsed and poured a little of the tea over my hair. OMG, my hair was so soft I didn't want to DC!! I needed a wee bit of protein so I DC'd w/a mixture of Hairveda SitriNillah, Pantene R&N Breakage Defense, and a couple squirts of Megatek. I rinsed this out and used the tea as my final rinse. My hair feels so soft, strong, plush and lush :laugh:!! I'll be using the tea on a regular basis.

Woo Hoo:yay:, I am so happy you liked the fenugreek tea rinse Eisani. That rinse has saved my hair so many times. It really does provide a lot of slip. Love, love, love it:lick::yep:.

i jumped back on the ayurv wagon. After viewing medmonkey ad lavendar's fotki i decided to give it a go. before i was using the powders like a tea. That didnt work well.

now im shampoo 1x a week with shik mix with water with a few skirts of condish as a paste. then i condish regularly afterwards. of course i pre oil with brahmi.
This has been working well for me. But i want to buy brahmi powder.

the only think is my past gets kind of clumpy when im applying.

I get my bhringraj (Maka) powder from www.fromnaturewithlove.com and my brahmi powder from www.mehndiskinart.com (I buy this one wholesale becasue it's cheaper to do it this way). I believe FNWL has the brahmi as well and we get a LHCF discount with them.

I did Henna and Indigo for the first time last weekend. I have to admit, my hair feels stronger.:grin: But it felt "straw-like" for a few days but I co washed and DC'd daily so that helped. I'm going to continue using this.:yep:

Platinum, try keeping the DC on for a few hours after your hendigo treatments, okay. After my last henna treatment, I kept my DC on my hair for 6 or 7 hours I think and my hair came out wonderfully soft. I used Jason Natural Thin to Thick conditioner mixed with some Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose conditioner, loved it:lick:.

Platinum, try keeping the DC on for a few hours after your hendigo treatments, okay. After my last henna treatment, I kept my DC on my hair for 6 or 7 hours I think and my hair came out wonderfully soft. I used Jason Natural Thin to Thick conditioner mixed with some Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose conditioner, loved it:lick:.

Thanks, Aggie!:kiss:

So I'm trying to determine whether this is a good idea or not. So I don't know if you guy's remember this thread?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=228123&highlight=shampoo

I was going to do this and use this as a poo instead of actual poo, but then I saw that she suggested doing the same thing with poo. So, if I added shikakai to poo(Con Green Label), would this be too drying to use once or twice a week?

TIA
Okay I see, this is a sulfate-free poo you're using, so this should be fine. If it was a sulfate-rich poo, then I would say don't do it.

I have a couple of questions:

1)Do the ayurveda powders straighten/loosen your curl pattern? I have curly hair(i think its 3B). I dont want to lose my curls.

2) Do the ayurveda powders color your hair? My hair is dark brown/black with honey blonde (i i think) streaks. I like my streaks and dont want to lose the color. Should I not go ayurveda? Are there powders i can use or powders i should stay away from??

3) Other than my weekly DC and moisturizing and sealing I want to do all my hair stuff in the morning. So I dont think the paste or hair rinse methods will be good for me. I am interested in adding the powders to my conditioner and co-washing with it. For people who are doing this, what is your regimen? Do you just cowash with the powder/conditioner mixture, rinse, then add another leave-in condition?? How much of the powder are you adding to the conditioner? And how often are you co-washing with the powder/conditioner mixture?

4) Is anyone using 2 methods such as Ayurveda and MegaTek?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a few boxes of Tulsi powder earlier this year but I haven't used them. Is anyone using Tulsi for their hair?

I bought a few boxes of Tulsi powder earlier this year but I haven't used them. Is anyone using Tulsi for their hair?

I use it because I bought some while it was on sale on fnwl.com and I don't care for it too much so I just try to mix it in with my other powders to use it up. It just didn't feel like it did anything for my hair, additionally, it had so many big herbal pieces all through it that was crazy to wash out. I will not be re-purchasing it.

I use it because I bought some while it was on sale on fnwl.com and I don't care for it too much so I just try to mix it in with my other powders to use it up. It just didn't feel like it did anything for my hair, additionally, it had so many big herbal pieces all through it that was crazy to wash out. I will not be re-purchasing it.

Hmm. I'll try it as a facial mask and see how it works.:ohwell:Thanks.

I just read through all 39 pages of this thread...whoo! :grin:

I have a question on the Kalpi Tone powder, for those who are using it. I think this would be the best way for me to get started, rather than trying to mix everything. I was thinking of using the tea method, instead of the paste. Then I went to this page: http://www.mehndiskinart.com/Kalpi_Tone_Powder.htm - they are stating it has to be used as a paste.

Is anyone using this powder with the tea method? If so, are you seeing results?

I just read through all 39 pages of this thread...whoo! :grin:

I have a question on the Kalpi Tone powder, for those who are using it. I think this would be the best way for me to get started, rather than trying to mix everything. I was thinking of using the tea method, instead of the paste. Then I went to this page: http://www.mehndiskinart.com/Kalpi_Tone_Powder.htm - they are stating it has to be used as a paste.

Is anyone using this powder with the tea method? If so, are you seeing results?

I use all my ayurveda powders except henna as paste and teas, including my kalpi tone powder, depending on my mood. Both methods works great:yep:.

I use all my ayurveda powders except henna as paste and teas, including my kalpi tone powder, depending on my mood. Both methods works great:yep:.
Thanks, Aggie! Your hair is gorgeous, by the way!

I guess I may have to try it both ways. When do you use the kalpi tone vs. using your other powders?

Thanks, Aggie! Your hair is gorgeous, by the way!

I guess I may have to try it both ways. When do you use the kalpi tone vs. using your other powders?

I bought the kalpi tone AFTER I had bought all my other powders and so I alternate them. I do like using the kalpi tone mixed in with my henna sometimes and as a co-wash now also. I switch and mix it up a bit. There is no real set schedule. I treat my hair with them based on what I feel it needs at the time really. The kalpi tone though has everything in it but I when I use it I would additonal moisturizing powders like Bhringraj or my hibiscus petal powder for added moisture.

Back