Ayurveda Support Thread

There are a lot of hair oils which are good for the scalp. I feel a good mixed blend would be nice with a natural base oil. Did you have any in mind?

Why did henna not work for you?

i have heard alot about Neem and Amla...not sure if it can be applied to the scalp or not...Henna dried my hair terribly,its just not for me:nono:

I would be careful with the aritha powder because it is a clarifying cleansing type powder, it dries out my hair a lot. I prefer Bhringraj and hibiscus petal powders as moisturizing powders. Brahmi is used more for growth, shikakai and amla are used as a conditioning and
strengthening powders.

Just curious, as I've been reading your thread and thinking of other shampoo options to combine with other things I'm doing...is Brahmi drying? I was thinking, if I try this down the line: Brami, amla, and Bhringraj as my hair HATES protein. I mean HATES. It's almost mid back and when I have used protein in the past...let's just say it doesn't need it to grow and maintain length. Protein causes the opposite reaction. Probably because I'm a natural with dry hair from thyroid disease, so it craves moisture! Everyone once in a blue moon, I'll add a little egg to my conditioner but that is the only protein I need. So anyways, do you think that that combination would be moisturizing but stimulating growth?

i have heard alot about Neem and Amla...not sure if it can be applied to the scalp or not...Henna dried my hair terribly,its just not for me:nono:

I used a henna infused shampoo by Dabur over the weekend and I had really good results - as in zero shedding. I deep conditioned with ORS replenishing pak, 6 pulverized alfalfa tablets and garlic for 30 minutes. After I rinsed I used Hair One (Olive Formula) and then VCO.

I was very pleased and believe I got the henna results I wanted and was nicely moisturized after.

I used a henna infused shampoo by Dabur over the weekend and I had really good results - as in zero shedding. I deep conditioned with ORS replenishing pak, 6 pulverized alfalfa tablets and garlic for 30 minutes. After I rinsed I used Hair One (Olive Formula) and then VCO.

I was very pleased and believe I got the henna results I wanted and was nicely moisturized after.

how did u dry your hair?

Any herbal treatments can be drying and you have to really balance out your recipe to make sure you don't dry yourself out. Or to just naturally cleanse your hair you can use rhassoul clay and make it into a mud in the shower and put it in your hair like the women in Morocco do. Wash it out after about 5 mins right in the shower, just like a shampooing does.

Make sure with herbal treatments to use moisturizing products like conditioners or hair oils to balance it all out. Then you should really see some good results.

how did u dry your hair?

I parted and twisted it into about 5 sections and sat under the dryer. Once my roots were dry, I took the twists down and let my hair finish drying.

I misted with Silk Elements Mega Silk and flat ironed. Not super straight, just enough so that I could wrap my hair to lay down under my wig.

I'm trying to leave my hair alone and cut down on manipulation.

I try to do this about once a week.

Just to clarify, and so I understand, you sat under the dryer with the henna on and let it sit like that for awhile which I presume could have been at least 30 mins to an hour?

It just seems some of the things you did right after henna'ing your hair may have contributed to the drying of your hair more so then it could have been. Just let me know if I am heading in the right direction as to what you had done afterwards. I hope this might help clarify the dryness of your hair after henna'ing.

Do Brahmi oil and Brahmi powder give you the same effects, or is one more beneficial than the other (more concentrated, penetrates hair shaft better, etc...)?

The oil is good for prepoos & as a leave in treatment. The powder is good as a paste for moisture, or mixed with a cheapie conditioner or used to make tea, I have also used the powder to make my own oil.

Just curious, as I've been reading your thread and thinking of other shampoo options to combine with other things I'm doing...is Brahmi drying? I was thinking, if I try this down the line: Brami, amla, and Bhringraj as my hair HATES protein. I mean HATES. It's almost mid back and when I have used protein in the past...let's just say it doesn't need it to grow and maintain length. Protein causes the opposite reaction. Probably because I'm a natural with dry hair from thyroid disease, so it craves moisture! Everyone once in a blue moon, I'll add a little egg to my conditioner but that is the only protein I need. So anyways, do you think that that combination would be moisturizing but stimulating growth?

Brahmi & Bhringraj are VERY moisturizing, I use them both, 2 parts of each & 1 part Alma in my suave as a cowash.

When the herbs are said to be mositurizing, we are speaking of experiences concerning no other ingredients other then water right? Because when I say herbs can be drying, I am speaking on the fact when they are used without anything but water or a tea based liquid, etc.

When you add shampoo, conditioner, oils (etc) then these powders BECOME moisturizing.

I'm familiar with ayerveda and its benefits. I just didn't know what the tea pot was exactly being used for. Thanks for the answer :)

Anyone have some recipes for the rinses they've been doing?

When the herbs are said to be mositurizing, we are speaking of experiences concerning no other ingredients other then water right? Because when I say herbs can be drying, I am speaking on the fact when they are used without anything but water or a tea based liquid, etc.

When you add shampoo, conditioner, oils (etc) then these powders BECOME moisturizing.

I'm familiar with ayerveda and its benefits. I just didn't know what the tea pot was exactly being used for. Thanks for the answer :)

The pot is good because it has a mesh strainer as opposed to trying to strain out the herbs afterwards, or using a coffee pot, sorry I forgot to clarify before.

For cleansing & strengthing I use Shikakai, Neem, and Aritha.
For growth, strengthing, moisture I use Bhringraj, Bhrami, & Alma.
I have been using the cleansing powders as a paste, but as Gloomgeisha mentioned, when you are natural or have lot of NG like me the tea works better. So I have started using them as a tea till I relax again. The others I use as a tea OR as a cowash mixed with cheapie conditioner.

ETA, I no longer use Neem and Aritha. I have added Hibiscus, and Fenugreek to my reggie

Last edited:

Yes the powders can be drying if used alone, The cleansing powders can be VERY drying if not used properly, oiling the hair first is a MUST with the cleansing powders, and DONOT manipulate the hair while the powder or paste is in. I always follow with a DC & don't have any problems. The Bhringraj & Bhrami , I have used without oiling the hair first & didn't have a problem, however I still DC afterwards. Oh yeah I forgot to add apply the paste TO SCALP ONLY, HENNA SOOQ this is not directed to you, it's for any newbies that might be reading, and I HIGHLY suggest reading ALL of the Ayurveda threads before starting.

Hey! What are you all doing now that it is cold outside?

If you mean about cowashing, I do mine on my days off, or as soon as I get home from work so it can have time to dry by the next day. LOL unfortunately I haven't gotten to the point where it's so long it won't dry in a day, when it does I'll simply just lightly blow dry, or wash on days off only.

If you mean about cowashing, I do mine on my days off, or as soon as I get home from work so it can have time to dry by the next day. LOL unfortunately I haven't gotten to the point where it's so long it won't dry in a day, when it does I'll simply just lightly blow dry, or wash on days off only.

Duh! That does make perfect sense. Thanks! I'm supposed to be going to the indian store sometime here in the near future, but I already have so much stuff. I'm just getting greedy I'm trying my best to wait a couple more weeks. But the more I learn about ayurveda for hair and the body the more I want. lol.

Duh! That does make perfect sense. Thanks! I'm supposed to be going to the indian store sometime here in the near future, but I already have so much stuff. I'm just getting greedy I'm trying my best to wait a couple more weeks. But the more I learn about ayurveda for hair and the body the more I want. lol.

I LOVE AYURVEDA!!! but as I said before, if you can try and work your way through ALL the threads, that way you can learn the do's & don'ts from other peoples mistakes.

Thanks flowinlocks!! I really appreciate your answers! Sounds like a really great way to use ayurvedic products especially regarding those rinses. Did you come up with that idea?

Thanks flowinlocks!! I really appreciate your answers! Sounds like a really great way to use ayurvedic products especially regarding those rinses. Did you come up with that idea?

You're welcome!! No I didn't come up with the idea, the rinses with the teas are as old as Ayurveda itself. The only thing I take credit for is finding the cute little teapot with the strainer. The idea of mixing powders with conditioner came from another poster from a previous thread. I think it's in here http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=228123

Yay! Once a month wash time and I'm about to oil up my hair for a pre-poo using some Vatika mixed with rice bran oil.

Tonight the cleansing powder mix will be Aritha, Brahmi, and Bringhraj- after which I will DC with a combination of my fave DC's Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol (Mango) w/ Aussie Moist Condish. To this I'm adding one cup of bringraj and methi tea for a thinner consistency.

Now ever since I stopped using growth aids, I don't like to talk about growth. But my hair has grown beautifully since I started my ayurvedic regimen. Even my boyfriend noticed it when he pulled out a freshly unraveled twist strand.

I've also began alternating my scalp massage oils, one week using Shikakai and the next my Mustard/Amla Oil mix.

Hope everyone is still following their reggies!

Okay, I am changing up my regi for winter. I want to use my powders in a conditioner, instead of using the tea.

Question #1 Is it okay to put the powders in the conditioner mix and rinse.

OR

Question #2 Should I make a paste out of the powders, mix in the conditoner and rinse?

OR

Question #3 Does it even matter.

Thanks

Okay, I am changing up my regi for winter. I want to use my powders in a conditioner, instead of using the tea.

Question #1 Is it okay to put the powders in the conditioner mix and rinse.

OR

Question #2 Should I make a paste out of the powders, mix in the conditoner and rinse?

OR

Question #3 Does it even matter.

Thanks

I just mix about a teaspoon of my powders of choice to my cheapie cond. for cowash, or in my dc after a shampoo or rinse with Ayurvedic tea. I just use about 1/2 cup of cond. in a small plastic bowl, mix it up , & take it in the shower with me.

For adding the powders directly to the conditioner it should be a problem because conditioner is not perishable like let's say yoghurt can be. In those instances where a product is perishable then it's better to mix the powder first into a very thick mud-like paste and then let it sit for a little bit depending on which powder you are using, and then mix with the other ingredient like the conditioner or yoghurt.

This is what I'd do. I'd be mixing the powder up first like a paste then adding any extra conditioner or oils to it when it was ready to be used. But it won't really make a huge difference only unless you are using something perishable.

Hey yeah I'm kinda feeling you on this, I LOOOOVE doing the paste cause it feels like warm relaxer on my scalp, but the more NG I get it's getting harder to rinse, but alas!!! I'm sooooo excited, look at what I ordered from QVC to make my tea in!!!!, I can't wait to get it, it has great reviews!!!
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/....K17303.desc.Tea-Server-Ball-5-Cup-Tea-Brewer

Hey girls, just an update on the teapot. I love it!!! It worked like a charm. I massaged my scalp with my homemade oil mixture of coconut oil, Amla, Shikakai, & Neem. I left this on for about an hour while I boiled enough water to fill the pot, maybe a little less. Then I used the scoop that came with it to measure 2 scoopfuls of my premixed powder of Amla, Brahmi, & Bhringraj and put it in the strainer. I have to admit I thought it wouldn't work very well because a small amount of powder sifted through before I even added the water. However after my water heated to almost boiling, I poured it over the powders, I had to slow down a few times due to it straining a little slow, but nothing major. I filled the pot up , placed the lid on and let it brew till it cooled. I can definitely see how Amla can darken the hair cause this tea got darker as it sat. Anyway I proceeded to rinse the oil from my hair then lightly wring out excess water. I then removed the strainer from my tea & poured over my head making sure to soak the stands good. If the tea is still too warm for your liking you can add a bit of cold water, lol I just prefer not to dilute. I should add I also had to break the suction on the lid of the pot with butter knife, I think it was the steam. Anyhoo I once again LIGHTLY wrung out excess and dabbed with an old towel, mainly because as I said before the tea is dark. I let this sit on for about 10 mins. while I cleaned up. I must say clean up was a breeze:grin:. All I did was rinse the powder down my garbage disposal & wash the pot & strainer. After I rinsed the tea from my hair I dced as usual, with the same powders I used in the tea mixed in. This is sitting on my hair now. I will rinse in about an hour. You can also leave the tea on longer if you wish, but 10mins. was long enough for me to see results, my hair was soft & strong , almost like it had been coated even before I applied the dc. I will also say for anyone starting out it's MUCH eaiser if you have your powders premixed. :yep: I have mine in jars with labels, I have my oils I made in salad oil bottles I got from target. And for best results I always mix 1 part Amla to 2 parts Bhrami & 2 parts Bhringraj for condition & strength & growth. Or 1 part Shikakai or Aritha to 2 parts Neem & 2 parts Amla for cleansing. THIS WORKS FOR ME, please tweak as you see necessary. I have been doing Ayurveda for about 2 months & I never had a problem with breakage, hard hair or shedding. HHG

Oh yeah here is a pic. of my premixed stuff.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Okay, last night I did my first henna for color release treatment. As most of you all know, I'm already a red head, but my roots and stuff were very brown as I'd decided to let the cellophane fade. Umm, can I say wow?! My hair came out very vibrant, especially on my brown/sandy hair and I know it takes a couple days for the color to settle, but I'm very happy overall with the results. I'll be taking pics throughout the day and hopefully posting tonight or tomorrow :grin:. Just wanted to share...

ETA: HennaSooq, thank you for answering my questions and giving such helpful information! I grew impatient and just used the Dulhan Heena I had, but I'm ordering the Yemeni today so I can try that one next time and Jamila after that :)

For adding the powders directly to the conditioner it should be a problem because conditioner is not perishable like let's say yoghurt can be. In those instances where a product is perishable then it's better to mix the powder first into a very thick mud-like paste and then let it sit for a little bit depending on which powder you are using, and then mix with the other ingredient like the conditioner or yoghurt.

This is what I'd do. I'd be mixing the powder up first like a paste then adding any extra conditioner or oils to it when it was ready to be used. But it won't really make a huge difference only unless you are using something perishable.

Thanks for the info. paste it is!!!!!!!!:drunk:

Back