Ayurveda Support Thread

Great news, I made my second concoction of coconut oil, Neem, Shikakai, & Amla. Let it simmer for a few hours in my crock pot, except this time I didn't have time to get back to it for a few days, it's just been sitting in the pot since I turned it off. Well to my discovery 95% of the sludge/powder had settled to the bottom just as Gloomgeisha had mentioned, so I was able to just pretty much pour it into my bottle with very little powder mixed in. AND I DIDN'T STRAIN!!!!:grin: I realized this had been sitting, so this oil would be VERY potent, I proceeded to melt down some more coconut oil & mix it in, to fill my bottle the rest of the way up & to dilute it a bit, over all I'm pretty happy with the end result. I did this with the first batch also. I'm hoping if I can make my own oils it will not only cut down on the cost, but I can custom tweak them as I see fit. Oh well I hope this helps anyone trying to make their own batch.

How is everyone's regi going? I had to tweek mine a little bit. Just curious.

My regimen is going fabulously. I honestly believe I can stick with this for a long time. I have no desire to buy pre-made packaged products besides my Hesh Shikakai Oil and Vatika Oil. I've yet to try the Shikakai soap though I do have two bars in the bathroom closet.

The only minor tweaking I've done is implementing the use of a non-Ayurvedic hair oil I've made (but with Bhringraj and Oat Extract as a base) But I normally use this when I have want a bit of a heavier oil.

I'm seriously STUCK on Ayurveda.

Mine is going great so far, I'm just trying to get some input from someone who's made the oils before.

One of the recipes said 1/4 cup herbs to 1 cup of oil. Also, I have used grapeseed and sunflower oils before:nono: the smell was gross and it was way too heavy. I have not tried coconut or jojoba yet, but I am thinking these would be better. This thread is pretty good for recipes and methods if you would like more info. HTH.

Last edited:
Just read a post from Candy C in Aug.08: She had been using amla, aritha, and brahmi. She said it was more moisturizing. I think that when I finish using the shakaki and amla mix I too will convert over to aritha, maka, and brahmi. The shakaki is too drying. I am gaining some length but I do not like the dryness. Sorry i don't have the thread. When I look it up again I will post it.

Where are you getting your Maka from? I have looked at FNWL for a month now and every time it is out of stock.

Just read a post from Candy C in Aug.08: She had been using amla, aritha, and brahmi. She said it was more moisturizing. I think that when I finish using the shakaki and amla mix I too will convert over to aritha, maka, and brahmi. The shakaki is too drying. I am gaining some length but I do not like the dryness. Sorry i don't have the thread. When I look it up again I will post it.

I would be careful with the aritha powder because it is a clarifying cleansing type powder, it dries out my hair a lot. I prefer Bhringraj and hibiscus petal powders as moisturizing powders. Brahmi is used more for growth, shikakai and amla are used as a conditioning and
strengthening powders.

I would be careful with the aritha powder because it is a clarifying cleansing type powder, it dries out my hair a lot. I prefer Bhringraj and hibiscus petal powders as moisturizing powders. Brahmi is used more for growth, shikakai and amla are used as a conditioning and
strengthening powders.

Thanks Lady Aggie. I do want to try something a little more moisturizing do you have a recipe. And I have the Jamila henna how do I use it as a conditioner and strengthner. I wanted color release but I don't want the henna to sit on my head all day long.

Where are you getting your Maka from? I have looked at FNWL for a month now and every time it is out of stock.

There is an indian community not to far from where I live. I go there and get my coconut oil, brahmi powder and such. The next time I go hopefully they will have some Maka powder. I live in Texas.

Thanks Lady Aggie. I do want to try something a little more moisturizing do you have a recipe. And I have the Jamila henna how do I use it as a conditioner and strengthner. I wanted color release but I don't want the henna to sit on my head all day long.

You're welcomed hurricane. My recipe is in my fotki. I only use henna glosses and my hair still comes out strengthened, conditioned and colored. I would use heat for an hour or two and without heat for another hour to reduce the henna time on my hair.

I made an oil with Shakakai, Neem & Amla, this is what I prepoo with BEFORE I use the paste of the same Ingredients, or I'll use Aritha instead of Amla in the paste. I let the oil sit about an hour or 2 then make the paste with a little warm water & apply it to the scalp/roots ONLY, then I rinse a few times & then cowash a few times with cheapie conditioner. Then I apply my DC which I have added Amla, Brahmi,& Bhringraj. I let this sit for about half hour & rinse. The end result is super soft strong hair. The trick is you MUST soak the hair with oil before using the cleansing powders, I'm even too lazy to make the teas and I still don't have a problem with dryness or stiffness. Plus you must make sure you don't manipulate the hair at all once the powder is in. When I'm not doing a DC I still have Brahmi & Bhringraj mixed with my Suave.

One of the recipes said 1/4 cup herbs to 1 cup of oil. Also, I have used grapeseed and sunflower oils before:nono: the smell was gross and it was way too heavy. I have not tried coconut or jojoba yet, but I am thinking these would be better. This thread is pretty good for recipes and methods if you would like more info. HTH.
This thread doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited:
Is anyone using pectin with their powders to make rinsing easier? I want to take the plunge (after I find my moisturizing powders - I only have amla and shikakai) but I'm afraid of getting it all in there and then not being able to get it out.

Is anyone using pectin with their powders to make rinsing easier? I want to take the plunge (after I find my moisturizing powders - I only have amla and shikakai) but I'm afraid of getting it all in there and then not being able to get it out.

I've heard this (but haven't tried it yet...been off my ayurvedic game), that using a rinse instead of a paste is easier. And that dunking the hair in a container of water versus running your head under water can make it easier to remove.

I've heard this (but haven't tried it yet...been off my ayurvedic game), that using a rinse instead of a paste is easier. And that dunking the hair in a container of water versus running your head under water can make it easier to remove.

Well, I don't wanna remake the wheel. I just want the shortest routes between points A and B.

Thanks for the tips.

Well, I don't wanna remake the wheel. I just want the shortest routes between points A and B.

Thanks for the tips.

Even though the teas take a bit more prep time, as far as boiling and steeping, I'd much rather use them than attempt a paste on my thick 4a natural hair. I don't have the patience to attempt rinsing ayurvedic bits out of my hair. With the tea, I can strain once, apply and let sit for a few minutes before rinsing and DCing.

I'm considering adding brahmi and maka to my DC next time, just to see how it goes.

Even though the teas take a bit more prep time, as far as boiling and steeping, I'd much rather use them than attempt a paste on my thick 4a natural hair. I don't have the patience to attempt rinsing ayurvedic bits out of my hair. With the tea, I can strain once, apply and let sit for a few minutes before rinsing and DCing.

I'm considering adding brahmi and maka to my DC next time, just to see how it goes.

Hey yeah I'm kinda feeling you on this, I LOOOOVE doing the paste cause it feels like warm relaxer on my scalp, but the more NG I get it's getting harder to rinse, but alas!!! I'm sooooo excited, look at what I ordered from QVC to make my tea in!!!!, I can't wait to get it, it has great reviews!!!
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/....K17303.desc.Tea-Server-Ball-5-Cup-Tea-Brewer

Hey yeah I'm kinda feeling you on this, I LOOOOVE doing the paste cause it feels like warm relaxer on my scalp, but the more NG I get it's getting harder to rinse, but alas!!! I'm sooooo excited, look at what I ordered from QVC to make my tea in!!!!, I can't wait to get it, it has great reviews!!!
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/....K17303.desc.Tea-Server-Ball-5-Cup-Tea-Brewer

Great! Thanks a lot flowinglocks, as if my PJism wasn't scaring my roomies enough.

'NO! You can't use my teapot! That's for my hair!"

They already give me the strange eye when I snap about my EVOO. :lachen:

I got my pot today, it's so cute. it's just big enough to make tea & it has it's own strainer!!!

Do Brahmi oil and Brahmi powder give you the same effects, or is one more beneficial than the other (more concentrated, penetrates hair shaft better, etc...)?

You may generally get the same results as they are the same herb but the added bonus with the oil is the moisturization and the herbal powder most likely would be a more concentrated form.

Which of these oils help are good for the scalp? Please share,I cant use henna,didnt work for me when i tried...so I want to keep it simple with just the oils.:yep:

There are a lot of hair oils which are good for the scalp. I feel a good mixed blend would be nice with a natural base oil. Did you have any in mind?

Why did henna not work for you?

Back