Ayurveda Support Thread

There are lots of Indian stores on Coney Island Ave near Ave I and Ave H in Brooklyn, as many as 3 or 4 stores on one block. The ones I've gone in mainly had powders,oils and soaps.

I am trying to add Ayurveda to my regimen. Today while in the Indain Grocer, I noticed they had the Henna shampoo and the brahmi conditioner which I purchased. I figured this might me easier than trying to mix powders. Has anyone tried these and what was your experience? Is it better to make your own concoction? I also purchased Dabur Amla oil, and Vatika oil.

Yes, I use the same products. I pre-poo with Amla Oil for an hour and then shampoo my hair with the Henna Shampoo. I never used the Brahmi Conditioner because my hair feels conditioned after these steps. I use Vatika Oil nearly everyday.

Let us know how the conditioner is.....

This is such an awesome thread and subject, I think I'm subscribed to every Ayurveda and Veda related thread on this forum. Moving on...I just got my first order of two powders from FNWL (whom yall heffalumps cleaned out before I get there :lachen::lachen:) and I now have Aritha and Hibiscus.

One is cleansing and one is conditioning. Would it be okay for me to use these ingredients for my cleansing tea rinse? 1 part Aritha to 2 parts Hibiscus?

the shampoo sounds interesting. But if you want any color then the shampoo will probably be too diluted to give color. Otherwise the benefits wil be in the shampoo. If you ever mixed shampoo with your own henna powder it might work a bit better as it would be a fresh mix.

Let us know how you like the products!

Hi I'm a newbie trying to do the ayurveda thing as I've seen so many good results here. I just bought Himalaya Herbals protein shampoo with conditioner. It's 100% natural, just wondering if anyone had tried it and if so did you like it?
Here are the ingredients:
Indian paper birch, shikakai, ushira, sandalwood tree, banyan tree, musk root, fenugreek, soapnut, common wheat, lemon, parfum.

**Update**

Not that anyone cares but I HAVE to share my first Ayurvedic washing attempt. I have to admit I was kind of scared especially when I heard about shedding and hair feeling hard etc- but my fears were completely unfounded.

To 1tsp of Shikakai powder I added 1 tbsp of Amla and Hibiscus Powder. I put all of the ingredients in a white knee-high (33 cents at Walmart) and put two cups of boiling water over it, allowing it to steep and cool. I then took another knee high and stretched it over a cup to strain the resulting tea.

Once I finished rinsing out the oil, I poured the mixture over my scalp and then my hair (which I had in two afro puffs for ease), allowed to sit for about 5 minutes and rinsed well. Deep conditioned with Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol w/ Mango (I'm working on a nice ALL natural conditioner though) and WOW my hair feels amazing. Soft and supple. My scalp does feel clean and so does my hair- without feeling stripped or weighed down.

I did experience some shedding but it was only a bit more than usual for me when I wash after 3 straight weeks of twists.

So I'm done rambling now- but I'm definitely sticking with Ayurveda from now on.

**Update**

To 1tsp of Shikakai powder I added 1 tbsp of Amla and Hibiscus Powder. I put all of the ingredients in a white knee-high (33 cents at Walmart) and put two cups of boiling water over it, allowing it to steep and cool. I then took another knee high and stretched it over a cup to strain the resulting tea.

Ayurveda is truly the bomb. I credit it with starting the regrowth of hair loss that 3 highly recommended dermatologists couldn't even find a reason for. I have to try the "tea" method for Ayurvedic powder washes. I've just been making a paste out of the powders, applying it and rinsing it out after a while. This certainly sounds less messy! :yep:

gloomgeisha I'm glad you had a good experience w/ it. LOL...I loved that you used the knee high.

trj1922 it's interesting that you use the paste method. It's the most traditional and commonly used by Indian women, tho I figure it IS messy. I'm glad your hair grew back...this stuff is really powerful. It works.

alanaj I see you're in Trinidad.....lucky you. I've never heard of that brand, is it local? You have an incredible amount of fresh veda available to you that just isn't to most of us. I envy you.

HennaSooq the more I learn about henna, the more it amazes me. I think that the henna in preps like the Vatika stuff (shampoos and oils) have probably lost their active color depositing abilities (not sure about conditioning properties). Wouldn't you say that henna which as been wet and not frozen would lose it's power after X amount of time, esp in a commercial product?

I wouldn't mix henna w/ shampoo tho...it's potentially too drying. I think shampoo might also interfere w/ the color deposit. If someone wants to try it, let us know.

so ayurveda causes shedding? because i have been applying vatika oil to my scalp for 5 days and i am now shedding more than usual. besides the dabur vatika oil the only other veda products i use is hairveda cocasta oil. i also have amla but i havent used it yet. i i use pure coconut oil.
so can i blame my shedding on the vatika?

so ayurveda causes shedding? because i have been applying vatika oil to my scalp for 5 days and i am now shedding more than usual. besides the dabur vatika oil the only other veda products i use is hairveda cocasta oil. i also have amla but i havent used it yet. i i use pure coconut oil.
so can i blame my shedding on the vatika?

i've been using vatika oil for about 3 months, and it has not caused any shedding, in fact, i think it has curbed shedding for me....

i've been using vatika oil for about 3 months, and it has not caused any shedding, in fact, i think it has curbed shedding for me....

I have to agree, I don't think any extra shedding has been caused by me using Vatika Oil or any other Ayurvedic product. My shedding has stayed about the same however; I do notice that I have little to no breakage.

That could be contributed to a lot of things though, sleeping with a satin bonnet, baggying regularly, and staying in protective styles. But I love not having synthetic product build up, or the itchy scalp, or scratching my head after two weeks of twists and having to clean under my nails afterward. All of that has vanished.

Can I just say how much Ayurveda products rock! :D I pre pooed with Amla and Vatika oil last night and did my usual mix of Amla and Shikakai (I'm waiting for my Brahmi powder to add to it). I deep conditioned with some Aveda then followed up with Redken, and my hair has never felt more hydrated and moisturised.

I'm only using the ayurvedic powders once a week - but is it okay to do it twice a week? Although I'm doing this in conjunction with MT, so perhaps I should just stick to once a week....

Been using ayurveda tea rinses, take my wet hair squeeze it of excess water, moisturize, and pin my hair up. Well i have done this for four weeks and my hair has thinned out in the back right in the middle. This is a problemed area. The front of my hair has always been longer than the back. What should I do.:wallbash:

Been using ayurveda tea rinses, take my wet hair squeeze it of excess water, moisturize, and pin my hair up. Well i have done this for four weeks and my hair has thinned out in the back right in the middle. This is a problemed area. The front of my hair has always been longer than the back. What should I do.:wallbash:

What powders did you use in your rinse and at what ratio?

Okay, I give up. I don't "get" it. I do understand to some extent and I understand the basics. But what is the difference between a tea, or a rinse, washes, or the difference between oils, etc. I understand that u make a lot of this stuff and mix at home, but I don't know, it's like ugh?! And then I see ppl making up their own way of using it and different types of oils. Is there really a "right" way? Can someone, that knows ALL ABOUT AYURVEDIC hair care, PM me and kinda coach me to really get the full understanding. Thank you.

okay I used Candy C's pre-mix. 1 box shikakki to 3 parts amla. I did find that it left my hair on the dry side. I would also do a dc overnight with a baggy. Maybe my hair was too wet and became weak. Just need to tweek my regi a little bit.

okay I used Candy C's pre-mix. 1 box shikakki to 3 parts amla. I did find that it left my hair on the dry side. I would also do a dc overnight with a baggy. Maybe my hair was too wet and became weak. Just need to tweek my regi a little bit.

Did you really use a whole box? That's A LOT of Shikakai. You might not have had enough Amla to combat the drying effect of the Shikakai. Maybe this needs clarification for me to be able to answer fully. But I think you want to be sure that your conditioning powder composes a lot more of your mix than your cleanser.

I'd maybe give 1 tbsp of Shikakai to 3 tbsp Amla next time or something in that area.

Also have you been pre-pooing with oil before using the rinse?

Did you really use a whole box? That's A LOT of Shikakai. You might not have had enough Amla to combat the drying effect of the Shikakai. Maybe this needs clarification for me to be able to answer fully. But I think you want to be sure that your conditioning powder composes a lot more of your mix than your cleanser.

I'd maybe give 1 tbsp of Shikakai to 3 tbsp Amla next time or something in that area.

Also have you been pre-pooing with oil before using the rinse?

Sorry I need to clarify. Her mix is 1 box of shikaki to 3 boxes of amla. I would use 1 tsp of this mixture. I now have some brahmi to add to the pre-mix. And yes I did pre-poo or did an oil bath before the hair tonic. I think that I was manipulating my hair too much. My hair does better with little to no manipulation.

Last edited:
Man, i did an hennindigo application this weekend and it was sooooo hard to get all the indigo out i kept washing and rinsing and i still had some grains remaining in my hair and i think it is causing breakage...

i've never had this happen before and i'd like to know how to curtail it...i'm getting oldskool shedding which is not a good thing, i've been down that road and i'm not trying to go that way again.

can someone advise products to help? i have brahmi, shikikai, amla, maka, kalpoor kalchi, henna, indigo...cassia, too? I'd like to try something this weekend. thanks in advance! i guess i gotta break and buy that expensive indigo...dang :ohwell: i bought mine for like $10 bucks a pound....

should i do a heavy protein treatment or maybe i need moisture?

Man, i did an hennindigo application this weekend and it was sooooo hard to get all the indigo out i kept washing and rinsing and i still had some grains remaining in my hair and i think it is causing breakage...

i've never had this happen before and i'd like to know how to curtail it...i'm getting oldskool shedding which is not a good thing, i've been down that road and i'm not trying to go that way again.

can someone advise products to help? i have brahmi, shikikai, amla, maka, kalpoor kalchi, henna, indigo...cassia, too? I'd like to try something this weekend. thanks in advance! i guess i gotta break and buy that expensive indigo...dang :ohwell: i bought mine for like $10 bucks a pound....

should i do a heavy protein treatment or maybe i need moisture?

Do you try rinsing with a cheapie conditioner? Sometimes it take 3 or more times. Then follow with a DC.

oh, my word, i sure did, and i was just disgusted at how hard it was to get my hair thoroughly rinsed! unbelievable....

BBB, did you do a henna gloss or straight henna and water with a terp? I usually do henna glosses and they tend to wash out easier in my opinion. I am usually in the shower for at least 30-45 minutes while washing out my henna and/or indigo treatments and I wash about 7-9 times with cheapie conditioner. I would then DC with a moisturizing deep conditioner for 1.5-2 hours afterwards. Moisture moisture moisture is what you need after a henna and indigo treatment.

I would follow do about 3 DC's in the same week of my henna treatment to get all the suppleness back and moisturize my hair daily. Some ladies I heard sleep with the DC in their hair overnight after the henna/indigo treatment and others baggy their hair about 3 nights the week afterwards. These are just some help on how to restore back the elasticity in your hair.

You do not need proteins in your hair right at the moment. I usually wait about 3 weeks after a henna treatment to add protein but only if there are signs that my hair actually need it.

ETA: Also, another way to wash out the herbs out of your hair a little effectively is to run water in your bathtub and immerse your head in the water and swish it around until the herbs come out, okay?

bumping...... where are all my Ayurveda ladies at? I tried to make my first batch of herb infused oil, And it was a HOT MESS!! I followed the directions on the Shikakai oil thread. I premeasured a bottle of Parachute coconut oil then poured it into my slow cooker, I then added 2 heaping tablespoons of my premixed powder of 1 part Amla,& 2 parts Brahmi, Bhringraj. I wanted an oil not only for a prepoo, but one I could leave in also. This is why I didn't add any of the drying powders & very little of the Amla. Fast forward to me letting it simmer in the pot for some hours & the house REEKING of this stinky infusion. I turned it off , let it cool some & proceeded to strain. First I did a mesh stainer to remove some of the larger particles, then I tried to use a paper towel to remove some of the small stuff. Well I quickly learned not only is this very messy, it was also soaking up too much of the oil!! So I finished off with a knee high as recommended. Still pretty messy, and I'm STILL left with smelly house & a bottle of murky looking STINKY oil:wallbash: Is it suppose to look & smell like this? I wanted to do this for a fun hobby, plus I thought it would be cheaper in the long run instead of ordering premade oils. This was just a funky situation all the way around:lachen:Please give some insite......

I've never made my own Shikakai oil- but the pre-made bottle that I have (from Hesh) does smell very...ethnic. I like the scent, but I think it would definitely be something that's a bit acquired.

Next time you try this you could try the "siphon" method with a bit of hollow tubing, to transfer the oil to a new container once all the powder has settled to the bottom. OR, you could try stretching a piece of stocking over a large pyrex measuring cup and pouring the oil/powder mix through that. You could then maybe try multiple straining this way; transferring from one measuring cup to another until you feel the oil is pure enough.

Another thing you can try is maybe placing the powder inside of the kneehigh, tying it off, and then steeping it in the oil for the duration of the cooking process. You can then strain the resulting oil with another knee-high just to be sure. I do this when I make teas and there's always a bit of powder that seeps out, but not a lot.

Hope this helps.

I've never made my own Shikakai oil- but the pre-made bottle that I have (from Hesh) does smell very...ethnic. I like the scent, but I think it would definitely be something that's a bit acquired.

Next time you try this you could try the "siphon" method with a bit of hollow tubing, to transfer the oil to a new container once all the powder has settled to the bottom. OR, you could try stretching a piece of stocking over a large pyrex measuring cup and pouring the oil/powder mix through that. You could then maybe try multiple straining this way; transferring from one measuring cup to another until you feel the oil is pure enough.

Another thing you can try is maybe placing the powder inside of the kneehigh, tying it off, and then steeping it in the oil for the duration of the cooking process. You can then strain the resulting oil with another knee-high just to be sure. I do this when I make teas and there's always a bit of powder that seeps out, but not a lot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, even though it's murky & stinky I'm still using it. So far so good. Although there is about a inch of sludge at the bottom of my bottle. Should I transfer it to another bottle (minus the sludge) ? LOL or recycle and just keep adding more coconut oil as I use it down?

ETA:OOPS, sorry you did say you never made it, but I am liking the siphon idea.

Last edited:
Back