Ayurveda Support Thread

Has anyone found any herbs that smell good that are also good for the hair? I have thought about adding EOs to the mix, or vanilla or cinnamon. What are people doing to keep their hair smelling good while using these products?

TIA! :rolleyes:

I use Dominican conditionr after I cleanse so that helps fragrance wise for me.

Has anyone found any herbs that smell good that are also good for the hair? I have thought about adding EOs to the mix, or vanilla or cinnamon. What are people doing to keep their hair smelling good while using these products?

TIA! :rolleyes:

I add ginger root powder and some peppermint essential oil to my mixes to diffuse the scent a little, and I also strain the powders and make a tea rinse instead of using the paste, then I rinse it out with some cheapie conditioner after about 5-7 minutes.

If I do use a paste, I make it like a ayurveda powder gloss by putting some tresemme remoisturizing conditioner with B5, some essential oils, and some bhringraj, brahmi, amla, coconut, or shikakai oil in the mix. I usually co-wash with the powder-paste gloss and I leave it on for 20-30 minutes, then wash out again with cheapie conditioner a few times. My hair always smell great when I'm done.

On a side note, the base of all my glosses is fenugreek seed tea rinse which I use instead of plain water. The cowash gloss and fenugreek tea rinse recipes are in my fotki. Check them out in my recipe corner when you get a moment.

Also I deep condition after every use of these powders.

I add ginger root powder and some peppermint essential oil to my mixes to diffuse the scent a little, and I also strain the powders and make a tea rinse instead of using the paste, then I rinse it out with some cheapie conditioner after about 5-7 minutes.

If I do use a paste, I make it like a ayurveda powder gloss by putting some tresemme remoisturizing conditioner with B5, some essential oils, and some bhringraj, brahmi, amla, coconut, or shikakai oil in the mix. I usually co-wash with the powder-paste gloss and I leave it on for 20-30 minutes, then wash out again with cheapie conditioner a few times. My hair always smell great when I'm done.

On a side note, the base of all my glosses is fenugreek seed tea rinse which I use instead of plain water. The cowash gloss and fenugreek tea rinse recipes are in my fotki. Check them out in my recipe corner when you get a moment.

Great suggestions. :yep:

Wow, thanks so much for all these ideas! :yep:

:grin:I did my very first pre-poo this week with Shikakai Indian Hair Oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, and EVOO.

My instruments
A plastic cup
A hair brush similar to the one used to relax hair
A plastic shower/ conditioning cap

My Oils
1/2 oz Shikakai Indian Hair Herbal Oil ( got it from http://stinastina.ecrater.com/index.php)
1/2 oz Jamaican black Castor Oil
1/2 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Application
I mixed all three oils in the plastic cup with my relaxer applicator brush
I applied the oil mix to my hair much like I would apply a relaxer
I did a quick scalp message then placed my plastic cap over my head
I placed a regular old bandana over the plastic cap and went to bed

Shampoo and Conditioning
The next morning I shampood my hair with a Shikakai Herbal Shampoo Bar (also got from website above)
I did a quick shampoo with CON. I did a 3 min condition with NTM Daily Deep. I added my leave ins sealed and was good to go!!!! I placed my hair in a loose bun to air dry.

Results
My hair felt so moisturized. It was great! At first I had that greasy feeling that I can't stand on my relaxed 4a/b hair but that subsided when my hair dried.
I would not do this pre-poo often because my hair doesn't need it but I would def. try to do it once or twice a month or if my hair feels super dry!!!!

I just wanted to share that this has been an excellent method for my braids this summer. I used my old coffee maker - and brewed teas ( alma, shikakai and - I have never had more moisture and strength!

It is just wonderful. I pre poo with my moisture condish

but use coconut Avocado oil with tea tree and peppermint most every night....

I really like this sooo much.
:yep:

Okay today I did my 5th hair treatment with the ayurvedic tea. I am using candy c's method. The night before I do an oil bath with coconut oil, castor oil, and a capful of amla oil. I massage my scalp with candy's scalp massage treatment, perform a scalp massage/scritch. Baggie and go to bed.

In the morning, I massage/scritch my scalp again then prepare my tea. Get into the shower rinse my hair with hot water for about 10 minutes, then pour the tea over my head concentrating on the scalp and the ends. Let it sit for 2 minutes then rinse out very well, run a conditioner through it ( suave ) and repeat another 2 times. Then I deep condition with ORS I add castor oil, amla oil, and coconut oil usually but today I also added coconut milk after it sat in the refridge for 2 days.

Let it sit for 45minutes to 1 hour rinse, squeeze my hair of the excess water and put candy c's avococo oil on my ends to seal them and my usual oil mix amla, coconut, and castor oil to the rest of my hair. Pin my hair up and let it air dry.

My 28 days of this will end around Sept. 11. I will go to the salon and get my hair shampoo'ed with Ojon hydrating shampoo and conditioner and roller wrap. I will try to post some before and after pics after my salon visit.

Anything new going on out there?

Hey, I've only been using my mix for 2 weeks and my hair is very happy! My middle with the stubborn grays are shrinking and shrinking!:yep: I mix the powders in conditioner. I have brahmi, shika powder,castor oil, and vatika coconut oil in my mix. I can't believe how great my hair feels and I lose very little hair, too. The vatika coconut oil has henna in it. This is the best thing I've ever done for my hair. The powders and oil will last me a long time. Thanks for coming up with this thread!

I am very interested in ayurveda method
I have very light colored hair, with blond hightlights / can be very dry.
My hair is relaxed

Are there any products I should not use?

Last edited:
You have beautiful colored hair...so rich and varied. Since you want to keep it light and Veda values dark hair, you might want to use olive oil bases rather than coconut or sesame oils. They have a gradual darkening affect as do many of the herbs. You can use the herbs in oil or powder form, but just watch out for your hair darkening...I'd rotate the products w/ Western stuff that doesn't affect color. This way you get to keep your color, but get all the Veda goodies. Obviously henna you want to avoid...therefore Vatika oil which also has a coconut base. Alma, in powder form, you might want to avoid to keep your relaxer straight.

Things to try....shikakai in small amounts is wonderful. You can use oil form or powder form (about 1/4 tsp), fenugreek (methi) is great for scalp when used in teas. Aritha (reetha or soapwort) is a nice natural shampoo. You can find shampoo bars for both. Brahmi (gotu kola) and bhringraj are wonderful for conditioning and moisturizing.

You have beautiful colored hair...so rich and varied. Since you want to keep it light and Veda values dark hair, you might want to use olive oil bases rather than coconut or sesame oils. They have a gradual darkening affect as do many of the herbs. You can use the herbs in oil or powder form, but just watch out for your hair darkening...I'd rotate the products w/ Western stuff that doesn't affect color. This way you get to keep your color, but get all the Veda goodies. Obviously henna you want to avoid...therefore Vatika oil which also has a coconut base. Alma, in powder form, you might want to avoid to keep your relaxer straight.

Things to try....shikakai in small amounts is wonderful. You can use oil form or powder form (about 1/4 tsp), fenugreek (methi) is great for scalp when used in teas. Aritha (reetha or soapwort) is a nice natural shampoo. You can find shampoo bars for both. Brahmi (gotu kola) and bhringraj are wonderful for conditioning and moisturizing.

Thanks Girl!:grin:
I love the thought of natural products.
Will the products also give the great shine a lot of Indian women have?

Should I place products on the air and scalp
Is that to goal if I use the oils as prepoo?

Is there another site other than http://stinastina.ecrater.com/

Last edited:
You can use the oils HOWEVER you choose...pre poo, hair dressing, and even on your body. You'll get shine and strength w/ these products...the Indians use them in the I various way described.

The powders/teas you can use either as a pre poo or w/ your conditioner. Being relaxed, you probably don't want to use these powders/teas alone, I suggest making a tea and adding some of it to your conditioner (a cheapo or your fav) and use it as a deep or long time (baggying) conditioner. If they work well for your needs, you might even add some tea to your leave in, if you use one.

IOW, you can pretty much do anything you want w/ the oils and powders, just think small quantities when you 1st start and work up if you choose to. Don't start off by using alot.

I have to say, you asked very good questions. What NOT to use?! LOL. :)

One more thing...don't use the infused stuff for 1 week before or immediate after your relaxer. Follow the "no scratch rule" wrt relaxers and use plain pure oils in place of anything herbal or infused. You don't want to risk any bad interactions, but between relaxers just do like anybody else does.

You can use the oils HOWEVER you choose...pre poo, hair dressing, and even on your body. You'll get shine and strength w/ these products...the Indians use them in the I various way described.

The powders/teas you can use either as a pre poo or w/ your conditioner. Being relaxed, you probably don't want to use these powders/teas alone, I suggest making a tea and adding some of it to your conditioner (a cheapo or your fav) and use it as a deep or long time (baggying) conditioner. If they work well for your needs, you might even add some tea to your leave in, if you use one.

IOW, you can pretty much do anything you want w/ the oils and powders, just think small quantities when you 1st start and work up if you choose to. Don't start off by using alot.

I have to say, you asked very good questions. What NOT to use?! LOL. :)

Thanks My natural color is good for me, dark hair is pretty
but would look crazy on me :nono:.

Do you have any other websites I could make the purchase from?
The soaps you recommend are not on the site I found on another thread.

I suggest you find a local Indo-Pak or halal store and just see what they have. Being in Atlanta, you'll have a great selection of stuff. I buy most of mine in the stores.

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/IndianSkin.asp This site has a wonderful selection of stuff, even if they're a bit pricey. Their quality and customer service is 1st rate tho.

I believe Stina (a member here) is located in or around Atlanta and online, you if you order w/ her, stuff should come quickly. http://stinastina.ecrater.com/ She now has two "starter kits" that have all you need., but you can simply start w/ a single oil or powder. I always recommend oils over everything, but aritha or bhringraj powder and shikakai oil are nice basic products that give can great results if used w/ a light hand.

Stina also has the shikakai bar.

Amla shouldn't be used on relaxed heads? I use it and it doesn't do anything to my relaxed hair. But when I had NG, my NG curls werre more defined. My relaxed hair stayed pretty much the same but then again, I haven't been using it for a long time so lets see. I just got a retouch and my hair was so much stronger than usual. even my mom commented on it and wants me to put her on a veda regi once she is done with the western stuff.

Okay I think I should be set now I've just ordered the starter kit 1 from stina, earlier in the week I ordered some Henna and Indigo from HennaSooq and some facial soap from ebay.

Amla shouldn't be used on relaxed heads? I use it and it doesn't do anything to my relaxed hair. But when I had NG, my NG curls werre more defined. My relaxed hair stayed pretty much the same but then again, I haven't been using it for a long time so lets see. I just got a retouch and my hair was so much stronger than usual. even my mom commented on it and wants me to put her on a veda regi once she is done with the western stuff.

Amla powder and oil can be used for relaxed heads, but as you said Explosiva it defines the curl pattern in new growth. In short, your new growth will be more well...prominent :grin:...by using amla, but it will be stronger in the long run.

If relaxed heads don't mind a more prominent NG, they can use it just fine...powder or oil form. If you DON'T mind a more curly NG, go for both powder or oil form as desired. If that bothers you, use the oil.

Zawaj let us know how the Washing kit (starter #1 for those who don't know) works out for you. I'm very interested in who tries starter #2...the Growth kit. BTW, maybe you can get your henna done this month....both hair and hands/feet. LOL...then come here and spill about the indigo usage. ;)

What soap did you get?

Thanks Jamaraa. Now, on your skin regi. I have been looking things up but I'm so scared to go at it alone, lol.

What can you recommend to start with? I have oily/combo skin that is sensitive. My body skintone is completely uneven and I have hyperpigmentation from burns and insect bites. The skin on my body is more on the dry side and super sensitive.

I have already received recommendations for rose water, fair and lovely, and ubtan.

Any good recommendations for me? Thank you in advance!!

The henna was mentionned to avoid, I am presuming, because it colors the hair. You can naturally also lighten your hair using honey and some cassia obovata mixed together. It takes time but the honey is a natural hydrogen peroxide. Just watch out to balance any hair treatments so that you keep your hair well moisturized.

Amla powder does add volume to the hair, and with any herbs yes they can become darkening.

Shikakai is a definete recommendation and any of these herbs can be blended together to make a special formula for yourself. It promotes hair growth and naturally cleanses the hair.

Another great product is ghassoul (rhassoul) clay from Morocco. Moroccan women are a true variety of african and arab people! The hair textures varies so much as well, that the natural products coming from there are amazing!! This clay is what is traditionally used in the hair to cleanse the hair. The natural ghassoul is great for that. Just apply in the shower under damp conditions and then wash out towards the end of your shower.

The herbal ghassoul is a great facial and body cleanser. With the herbs adding the perfect combination and exfoliation. This clay does NOT strip the natural oils from you. It is a HUGE hit!! I love that mud!!

I hope you find a good shop :)

The henna was mentionned to avoid, I am presuming, because it colors the hair. You can naturally also lighten your hair using honey and some cassia obovata mixed together. It takes time but the honey is a natural hydrogen peroxide. Just watch out to balance any hair treatments so that you keep your hair well moisturized.

Amla powder does add volume to the hair, and with any herbs yes they can become darkening.

Shikakai is a definete recommendation and any of these herbs can be blended together to make a special formula for yourself. It promotes hair growth and naturally cleanses the hair.

Another great product is ghassoul (rhassoul) clay from Morocco. Moroccan women are a true variety of african and arab people! The hair textures varies so much as well, that the natural products coming from there are amazing!! This clay is what is traditionally used in the hair to cleanse the hair. The natural ghassoul is great for that. Just apply in the shower under damp conditions and then wash out towards the end of your shower.

The herbal ghassoul is a great facial and body cleanser. With the herbs adding the perfect combination and exfoliation. This clay does NOT strip the natural oils from you. It is a HUGE hit!! I love that mud!!

I hope you find a good shop :)

Thanks Great Information

Back