Ayurveda Lovers Unite!!!

im planning on ordering several different kinds of henna from ayurnaturalbeauty.
i want to see which one is the best even though i think they are probably all the same.

in about two weeks i think i am going to go for it and do a full henna, let it sit for a few hours and everything.
this weekend i am going to do an amla gloss.

im planning on ordering several different kinds of henna from ayurnaturalbeauty.
i want to see which one is the best even though i think they are probably all the same.

in about two weeks i think i am going to go for it and do a full henna, let it sit for a few hours and everything.
this weekend i am going to do an amla gloss.

what's an amla gloss?

same as a henna gloss. instead of using it full strength you mix with with conditioner and make a paste.

Finally tried the Lush Caca Brun I bought several weeks ago. I love it! My gray is covered ( I didn't have a lot) and my hair feels thicker. I've been doing lots of reading about henna and indigo. I think I'll order some from ayurnatural and try out the "real" thing.

That was the thing I think I did wrong. When I did my strand test I pre oiled with coconut. This time I completely forgot about it.
My hair feels like I saturated it with Aquanet hair spray. Its stiff and dry. *sigh* I'm on vacation in Paris now. I refuse to let this ruin my fun. I am bunning. If I have left when I get home, so be it. If not, then I guess I BC and start over.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Has the breakage stopped? If so you might try a very mild acv rinse to help clarify some the coating that has it so still then follow up with a dc.

I did a co wash with my mix of kapitone, fenugreek,hibiscus with luster silk shea, very soft. Co washing only works with ayurveda powders for me.

Hey ladies. I'm about to try a shikakai wash (instead of shampoo). I'm pre pooing with Vatika Coconut Oil as we speak and I've mixed the the shikakai with water so it's now a paste.
Just 2 questions:

1. Do I have to wet my hair before apply the paste to my scalp or can I just apply it straight to my dry (oiled) scalp?
  2. Can I use my weekly protein (Joico K-pak) after I've washed? Followed by my DC?

TIA

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Has the breakage stopped? If so you might try a very mild acv rinse to help clarify some the coating that has it so still then follow up with a dc.

Nope, still breaking like a champ. But in my pre LHCF days my hair broke like this all the time. That's why I'm not too too worried about it. I never went bald. I'm the midst of my vacation shopping I bought some shea butter body cream. It will have to do until I get home to my real hair products. I'll baggy with that tonight and worry about the rest when I get home from Paris.

Hey ladies. I'm about to try a shikakai wash (instead of shampoo). I'm pre pooing with Vatika Coconut Oil as we speak and I've mixed the the shikakai with water so it's now a paste.
Just 2 questions:

1. Do I have to wet my hair before apply the paste to my scalp or can I just apply it straight to my dry (oiled) scalp?
  2. Can I use my weekly protein (Joico K-pak) after I've washed? Followed by my DC?

TIA

For best results Shikakai should be cut with another powder like Amla or Bhrami. Also try adding some cond. for extra moisture.

I wouldn't suggest using weekly protein while using the Shikakai seeing as it strengthens the hair and it could become too hard.

ETA: No you do not need to wet the hair first.

Nope, still breaking like a champ. But in my pre LHCF days my hair broke like this all the time. That's why I'm not too too worried about it. I never went bald. I'm the midst of my vacation shopping I bought some shea butter body cream. It will have to do until I get home to my real hair products. I'll baggy with that tonight and worry about the rest when I get home from Paris.

Wow Paris! Well I hope you can still enjoy the rest of your vacation. When you get home start with the protein to combat the breakage. Be sure to keep us updated.

For best results Shikakai should be cut with another powder like Amla or Bhrami. Also try adding some cond. for extra moisture.

I wouldn't suggest using weekly protein while using the Shikakai seeing as it strengthens the hair and it could become too hard.

ETA: No you do not need to wet the hair first.

Thanks for that. However, I already washed my hair by the time you responded so I didn't mix my Shikakai with anything else but water. My scalp feels great. However, I'll come back with a proper verdict after my rollerset.

Thanks, flowinglocks, for this thread! I :heart: Ayurveda and use henna, shikaikai soap, and amla very regularly!

Subscribing! :yep:

I have a question about kalpi tone. I have a box I ordered quite some time ago. It says to leave it on for at least an hour. Do you wash your hair first & then apply? Or use this as your "wash"?

I have a question about kalpi tone. I have a box I ordered quite some time ago. It says to leave it on for at least an hour. Do you wash your hair first & then apply? Or use this as your "wash"?

I mix mine with conditioner apply to wet hair. The powders are very strong and I don't think you need to wash. I don't and I'm a shampoo girl! This is the only way I can co wash and still feel like my hair is clean.

i mixed kalpi tone and brahmi with conditioner and my hair comes out like straw! I've tried twice.

I love Ayurveda. I've used other Ayurvedic products besides those just for hair, and I love it all. I've taken it upon myself to learn and research about the world of Ayurveda, so that I can educate myself on what herbs and Vedic products help which ailments. For those having probs with the powders, traditionally, Indian women use these powders AS A CLEANSER. That is why people are likely experiencing dryness, and marked dryness if they are shampooing before or after using these powders. Some can be hard to remove from the hair, but I've tried several, and they are all indicated as cleansers to be uses as a natural substitute for shampoo (brahmi, amla, maka/kapoor kachli I have used).

I mix my powders with heavy conditioners and oil, apply to wet hair, rinse, and follow with more condish. I haven't had probs with dryness; results are stronger, lightly fragranced hair. Brahmi is grainy, and it was so hard to remove from my thick hair that I decided to make it into a tea to spray/rinse my hair with. It made my hair strong after first use like a heavy protein treatment. Amla was easier to remove, didn't leave hair as stiff. Maka/Kapoor Kachli is the consistency of talc, a very fine powder. It was easy to rinse from hair, and I feel Kapoor Kachli works best on my hair...strengthened it like moderate protein, but it also felt moisturized, possibly due to condish I mixed with it, which had Babassu Mud in it.

Last edited:
i mixed kalpi tone and brahmi with conditioner and my hair comes out like straw! I've tried twice.

Really! My hair just loves kalpi tone. But then again, I mix mine with moisturizing powders like Bhringraj, fenugreek or hibiscus petal powder. I also use a moisturizing conditioner and to be honest, Tresemme Remoisturizing Conditioner with B5 is awesome with it as a gloss.

Have you pre-oiled your hair first? Also, how was the condition of your hair before using the Kalpi tone? I have used a tea rinse and a gloss. The tea rinse without conditioner in it seem to leave my hair feeling a little strengthened but when I add the conditioner as a gloss, it feels wonderfully soft.

I always use a cheapy conditioner to cowash it out as well and my hair seem to prefer Aussie Moist Conditioner. I often leave some in my hair as a leave-in sealed in my kukui nut/sunflower oil combo:lick:.

I am a hard core Ayurveda head. I use the powders to make pastes and apply them to my dry hair that way.

I heavily oil my before hand with an inexpensive oil and rinse out with a ton of VO5 Strawberries and Cream.

I've never used a tea rinse but the paste works okay for me - soft hair and no dryness.

Ok, so after I took out the rollerset, my hair looked thick and it was frizz free and my scalp felt really clean (hopefully this would last for a while). However, my hair feels a bit different but I think it's because I just used 2 tablespoons of Shikakai and cold water. I did pre poo with Vatika oil but I think I'll change it a bit. Here's what I'll do next time:

Mix 1 tablespoon of Shikakai, 2 of Alma (or Amla as I have seen :perplexed), 1 of Bhrami and warm water.
Normally, I pre poo with Vatika oil but I'm thinking of skipping this step and just adding it to my mixture, I'm still not 100% sure. What do you ladies think of that?
Finally, I think I'll wet my hair before applying the paste because when I did it on dry hair, it was a bit difficult getting through 11 weeks of new growth and I think I even missed a spot.

TIA

Wow Paris! Well I hope you can still enjoy the rest of your vacation. When you get home start with the protein to combat the breakage. Be sure to keep us updated.

Baggied with the shea butter body lotion. My hair was softer in the morning. Washed it out and wet bunned for the flight home.
Home now, cowashed with a protein reconstructor and followed with a moisture condish. I think my hiar will be fine.
I won't trash the cassia I have left, but I am going to use it sparingly mixed with my DCs once a month.

this weekend i want to do a full strength henna. if my package from ayurnaturalbeauty comes before sunday then i will use my nupur 9 herbs henna with evoo, sweet almond oil and water and honey.

if the package does not come then i will use my jamila henna and add 2 spoon full amla, 1 spoon brahmi, evoo, sweet almond oil, honey and water.

the last two times(only times) i used henna i did a gloss. this time i wont. and i will leave it in for 2 hours.

i will deep condition after with a mix of shescentit banana brulee, honey, and oils.

I mix kalptone and Brhami with HEllo hydration. Im throwing the kalptone out and buying more amla powder.

No need to wash your hair first this will strip off the protective oils you need when using the powders.

I mix kalptone and Brhami with HEllo hydration. Im throwing the kalptone out and buying more amla powder.

kalpi tone dried the hell out of my hair

Same here, It's one of my least favorite powders. Even when I mix it with cond. and other herbs. I tried it three times and have came to the conclusion it's not for me.

Baggied with the shea butter body lotion. My hair was softer in the morning. Washed it out and wet bunned for the flight home.
Home now, cowashed with a protein reconstructor and followed with a moisture condish. I think my hiar will be fine.
I won't trash the cassia I have left, but I am going to use it sparingly mixed with my DCs once a month.

I'm glad to hear everything worked out. Now make sure you preoil the next time. :yep:

Back