Ayurveda Lovers Unite!!!

It's been a while since using my beloved Brahmi.

Gonna boil my water and prepare my mix. So tomorrow, I'm gonna apply my brahmi paste, do a bringraj rinse and then seal the moisture in with my ceramides. :lick:

I am new to LHCF but this post makes me want to head out to the indian store tomorrow. I wash with a shakaki bar and I have some neem. I also have some amla oil and some coconut oil. What are the best conditioning powders.
Bhringraj/Maka is by far the most moisturizing. :yep: Hibiscus is another good choice. All in all you have to find which powders work well with your hair.

@quasimodi

Oooo how are you ladies making your teas?? I think i would prefer that versus a paste.

Well, I invested in several of those small muslin tea bags. I put a tablespoon of fenugreek, hibiscus, and maka powder inside the bag and steep it in a bowl of "just boiled" water. I let it steep for about 20-30 minutes.

Then I remove the muslin bag and put the tea into an applicator bottle. **NOTE: Make sure the water is cooled before you pour it on your head. I pour it on my head, concentrating on my scalp and then pour it over my hair.
Sometimes, I leave the tea on my head and then DC...usually with a steamer. Other times, I leave the tea on my head for about 30 minutes, covered with a plastic cap and then I'll rinse and cowash it out. I'm going through a paste stage now, but tea rinses are effective, too. :yep:

Did an amla paste yesterday. So I've noticed with the two pastes I've done so far--cassia last weekend and amla yesterday that I see results immediately. I feel like with the tea rinses the effect is more culmative. So I've decided I will do at least one paste weekly and continue with my one tea rinse weekly.

I did an amla face mask yesterday just because I'm trying to use up this amla I got and get a newer one. It expires in july I didn't know to look for dates when I got it.
I liked it it was very strong and stung a little bit. I think I might just wash my face with it instead of a mask maybe mix some with my face wash but I don't know if that's a good idea

My hair is saturated in vatika oil right now I'm about to use my shikakai/amla/fenugreek cowash with an extra dash of shikakai and then DC.

I'm very happy with the results after only using the powders a few days a week for less than a month. My hair is so much thicker. I'm definitely in need of a DC though. Still tryng to figure my routine out

Tomorrow I'm going to buy brahmi, kalpi tone, and methi. Maybe parachute oil. Anything else I should get?

I did an aphogee 2 step treatment yesterday and tossed on a bhringja, hibiscus, fenugreek, and a tad of rose petal paste with my DC.

My hair feels really good and strong

grow Yes I love my Bigen. It gets my hair super black

Me too! I've been using Bigen Permanent Powder Hair Color (#59, Oriental Black) over 6 yrs, and I love the results EVERY TIME. Makes my hair stronger, and thicker too, almost like a henna treatment. I don't see myself ever using another darkening (depositing) permanent hair color.

In other news, I have been loving Shikakai oil. I still have some Kapoor Kachri and Brahmi powder to use up, so I will make teas with them this week, and apply the Kapoor Kachri mixed with cond. after I color my hair (^^) this week. I need to get more Amla oil and try the Brahmi oil. Ayurvedic products are the truth for hair and body! :yep:

leiah growinghealthyhair I used fenugreek too when nursing to increase my supply.[/QUOTE]

OT--Yes, interesting you noted this--I recently learned that fenugreek supplements are the basis for a lot of "natural" breast enhancement products...and it is known to increase the fullness and size. :look:

Me too! I've been using Bigen Permanent Powder Hair Color (#59, Oriental Black) over 6 yrs, and I love the results EVERY TIME. Makes my hair stronger, and thicker too, almost like a henna treatment. I don't see myself ever using another darkening (depositing) permanent hair color.

In other news, I have been loving Shikakai oil. I still have some Kapoor Kachri and Brahmi powder to use up, so I will make teas with them this week, and apply the Kapoor Kachri mixed with cond. after I color my hair (^^) this week. I need to get more Amla oil and try the Brahmi oil. Ayurvedic products are the truth for hair and body! :yep:

How are you using Shikakai oil? I ordered some from Hairveda that I was planning on using in my prepoos

Hi Ladies!

I'm new to this particular thread, however I plan to do my first henna session & first oil rinse this weekend. Pretty much I want to take a day to clarify, henna, oil rinse, deep condition, twist and trim my hair. I've used cassia in the past, but the frizz at the crown of my head has become a pest and I want something more intense. However, I'm having a dilemma on the sequence of events that would normally entail for an effective henna & oil rinse when combined. This is my understanding of the sequence currently, please help me if you can:

1) Clarify/Shampoo
2) Henna, let it sit (a few hours)
3) Rinse
4) apply oil (I'm beginning with Olive Oil)
5) Rinse w/hot water
6) Apply rinse-out conditioner ?detangle?
7) Rinse w/ cold water
8) Apply deep conditioner
9) let it sit (a few hours)
10) Apply product and twist

Some conflicts:
--I may choose to deep condition-- but that would complicate my rinsing out of the oil, as I would need a regular rinse out conditioner to do that. Is there any way I can not further complicate things, such as applying deep conditioner over my oil and then rinsing w/ cold water afterwards? If not, I'd be twice conditioning, and twice cold water rinsing, no?
--dry detangling isn't an option (I haven't detangled in a few weeks). When should I detangle? before henna? after rinsing it out? during the oiling vs. during the conditioner?

I apologize for all of the questions, just trying to find my way. Tips on any step of the process are greatly appreciated. :spinning:

Hey ladies!! I made a paste last night for the first time using brahmi powder and distilled water, added it to my conditioner, applied to my hair and put on a plastic cap for about an hour. My hair feels so soft and strong and I am 15 months post. I cannot believe how good my hair feels. I will be doing this at least once a week, maybe twice.:yep:

I did an amla face mask yesterday just because I'm trying to use up this amla I got and get a newer one. It expires in july I didn't know to look for dates when I got it.
I liked it it was very strong and stung a little bit. I think I might just wash my face with it instead of a mask maybe mix some with my face wash but I don't know if that's a good idea

My hair is saturated in vatika oil right now I'm about to use my shikakai/amla/fenugreek cowash with an extra dash of shikakai and then DC.

I'm very happy with the results after only using the powders a few days a week for less than a month. My hair is so much thicker. I'm definitely in need of a DC though. Still tryng to figure my routine out

Tomorrow I'm going to buy brahmi, kalpi tone, and methi. Maybe parachute oil. Anything else I should get?

leiah Your on the right track...A great conditioning addition (Hibiscus powder & Mustard oil) are excellent at that...If your into pre pooing (Brahmi oil)does wonders/it may smell.but,the benefits are awesome/helping to thicken & keep your scalp healthy..

Happy Hair Growing!

Pre poo with Mahabhringraj oil/ Used my Brahmi powder mixed with pumpkin seed oil & TW con 15min/Rinsed with BF cotton cream cleanser/DC with Argan con on length,Nioxin #8 on scalp 20min/BF leave-in/Brahmi oil on scalp/Sealed with Sesame seed & Argan oil/NJ pomade on ends...Nice full soft hair..

Happy Hair Growing!

Thanks Lita I picked up some mustard oil today. How do you use it?
I wanted to infuse it with herbs but I read a warning saying not to because it would produce mustard gas :perplexed also read that it contains sulfur and I don't want to put it on my scalp because i'm breastfeeding and not sure if that's a good idea. I'll use it on my hair though

I didn't have a good day shopping. The store I went to that had an amazing selection the first time I went had bare shelves today.

I had to go to about 5 stores before I found Brahmi powder and it was the last box on the shelf kind of beat up and light. :ohwell: Didn't find kalpi tone

I got more amla, fenugreek, brahmi, bhringaj, mustard oil, and parachute coconut oil for my baby. Put it on him after his bath :lick:
I know it's just regular coconut oil but I've only been able to find $16 jars in the grocery stores around here so I was really excited to get a big bottle for $3. They also had a deluxe more expensive oil that included mineral oil, which I find funny

One of the last stores I went to after I bought all of this had dried whole amla and a bunch of other stuff ive never heard of and powders and oils that they made and jarred themselves with handwritten labels. I'm really excited to go back there because I wonder about the quality and age of the commercial imported stuff. Most of them have a spot where the manufactured date is supposed to be stamped but its blank

I was looking in the mirror and noticed a few orange grays!
I have been using vatika oil pretty much daily I wonder if there's enough henna in it to do that? Or maybe it's from amla?
I like them. I have dark brown hair and they blend in and look like highlights
I was afraid to use henna but now I feel better about it.

Last edited:
leiah I would not use the Mustard oil on my hair either/until I finish breastfeeding (because of the sulfur)...

*Always infused your herbs first/then add the mustard oil once its complete (because of the gas).....

*The vatika is turning your hair that color..
*Daily use of Mustard oil/will turn it golden
*I'm glad you did get some nice stuff at the Indian market...

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
Hi Ladies!

I'm new to this particular thread, however I plan to do my first henna session & first oil rinse this weekend. Pretty much I want to take a day to clarify, henna, oil rinse, deep condition, twist and trim my hair. I've used cassia in the past, but the frizz at the crown of my head has become a pest and I want something more intense. However, I'm having a dilemma on the sequence of events that would normally entail for an effective henna & oil rinse when combined. This is my understanding of the sequence currently, please help me if you can:

1) Clarify/Shampoo
2) Henna, let it sit (a few hours)
3) Rinse
4) apply oil (I'm beginning with Olive Oil)
5) Rinse w/hot water
6) Apply rinse-out conditioner ?detangle?
7) Rinse w/ cold water
8) Apply deep conditioner
9) let it sit (a few hours)
10) Apply product and twist

Some conflicts:
--I may choose to deep condition-- but that would complicate my rinsing out of the oil, as I would need a regular rinse out conditioner to do that. Is there any way I can not further complicate things, such as applying deep conditioner over my oil and then rinsing w/ cold water afterwards? If not, I'd be twice conditioning, and twice cold water rinsing, no?
--dry detangling isn't an option (I haven't detangled in a few weeks). When should I detangle? before henna? after rinsing it out? during the oiling vs. during the conditioner?

I apologize for all of the questions, just trying to find my way. Tips on any step of the process are greatly appreciated. :spinning:

If you henna I think it will be best to DC... I hear some ladies state that henna can be drying.. When I do a henna gloss I still DC but I also use Indigo afters which is very drying.. What I do it when I clarify my hair I pour a conditioner that helps with my detangling b4 I henna some conditioner help so much that all I need to do it finger comb after I rinse it out and then I add my henna gloss..Last time I did a henna gloss my hair was so soft but after I added the indigo that is why got a little drying.. I still DC'd

leiah The Dual Specialty Store 91 1st avenue N.Y N.Y 212-979-6045..
Have a great selection of fresh herbs in the back..They also have a great selection Indian powders,oils & skin paste..(NEW)..

*Nettle,Burdock,Methi,Hibiscus & all kinds of powders...

*I get my Mustard ,Garlic,Sunflower,Sesame,Hemp seed etc....

Happy Hair Growing!

@leiah when going to those Indian stores please look at your expiration dates on those boxes.. I had to be careful because some of the ones I picked up was already expired.. I have some brahmi now that does not expire until 02/12 so I am ok for that box.. I ordered from online Saturday and my order Shipped Mon or Tues so I should have it by the weekend..

Sorry leiah just saw your post about the expiration date :yep: above..

Last edited:
Lita is mustard oil the only oil that will release gas... That is good to know because I would have let that simmered in the herbs as if it was coconut oil or sesame oil..

Hey ladies how are these powder for nasty black heads.. The kind that are big and hurt when you touch them.. Lately I been getting them in the same spot.. Also how do you mix then up for a facial mask...

Lita is mustard oil the only oil that will release gas... That is good to know because I would have let that simmered in the herbs as if it was coconut oil or sesame oil..

LadyMacgyver Yes,Mustard oil is the only one....

Amla paste,helps with black heads (2-3xs a week) but,remember Amla is very drying...
Bentonite clay works well at bring oil & dirt to the surface...
Red clay...
Sulfur clay..Perfect for acne..

*gardenofwisdom.com has excellent natural products for your skin..If you email them/ they will give a recommendation for your personal skin needs..*They sell oils as well...

*LHCF has a thread on the products...Its been working for me....They sell clays & powder too! For your skin..

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
Lita thank you so much.. I will most def look this up because its getting out of hand and the wierd thing is its always in the same spot when they come back..

Lita thank you so much.. I will most def look this up because its getting out of hand and the wierd thing is its always in the same spot when they come back..

LadyMacgyver I understand your frustration..Because,that happens to me some times (in the same spot)....Know it only happens if I eat the wrong foods...lol......Garden of Wisdom products has helped my skin a great deal...Keep me posted!

Happy Hair Growing!

Made a brahmi paste using the whole box!! 100g. Boiled some hibiscus petals to make a tea. Once it simmered, added 1tsp of Maka powder. I used this to make a batter for the brahmi mix.

I also have some hibiscus left over to do a rinse. I've never used hibiscus so I'm kinda nervous. But I know all of you love it.

Back