Ayurveda Lovers Unite!!!

ok ladies, this may sound silly, but i don't understand how cassia is the same as henna.....
i think i even read somewhere that using it with indigo can turn hair green...is that possible?
these powders are confusing so i understand op who said "the only thing i could use without loads of research was the oil", LOL!

i've been using ayurveda for over a year now and STILL do not understand the difference between cassia and henna.

is cassia called a gloss because it makes hair shiny, kind of like a cellophane clear rinse or something?

but thank you all for bringing this ashwaghanda and Centanella into the discussion because i never knew of them and now want to try them!

@flowinlocks, i didn't know you had a black dye in? is it ayurveda like?

i did the henna and indigo on feb 28th.

ladies, when would you say is the earliest i can do it again?
(i've still got brown roots and some grey/auburn color from the henna....or should i try cassia instead of henna with the indigo next time? )

i'm texlaxed and 11 weeks post.....won't perm again until may.

thanks ladies!

hhj!

Cassia is neutral henna from my understanding. Meaning it doesn't deposit color but is used for conditioning. I heard that henna even if you immediately apply or don't add something to assist with releasing the color it still deposits color. When relaxed the cassia brought out my color more which was reddish brown which I thought was "natural" bc I didn't dye to get that color. Now that I've gone natural my hair is just black :giggle:. Glosses just mean you add conditioner to it. It's not just paste.

It covered the gray over time, but a lot faster than if I were using amla alone. I think you mean that indigo/henna mix would result in blue black, right? My mixed just turned the gray to black (the whitest strands are dark brown/reddish, but it looks like what could naturally occur anyway).
i was wondering if cassia w/ indigo amla can make your hair black?

Just checking in to say i used a paste tonight and I thought it went well

I made a paste of Shikakai, Amla, Bringhaj, dab of Neem

Then I made a tea out of brahmi, fenugreek, and hibiscus. i poured it through my hair and on myt scalp, then I added some water to the powders and put them on my hair. Added some shescentit condish on top.

rinsed out and I think i got most of the herbs out (but i swear that shikakai is like the gift that keeps on giving)

I think I'd like to work some pastes into my regimen along with the teas. I'll have to see how I want to work this out

I also like the idea of keeping my teas/pastes to 3 ingredients each

Ok I did plenty of reading and started today by oiling my hair with amla oil, then rinsing with a shikakai, amla, and fenugreek tea. I DCed afterwards. My hair is definitely thicker and shinier than it was before :lick:

I mixed the paste that was left in the bottom of my tea with conditioner and i'm going to try oiling with vatika and then cowashing with this blend.

Random question, does anyone ingest any of these powders/herbs? Is it beneficial or even possible?

At the indian store I went to I picked up a bottle of amla powder and the woman told me it was for ingesting and pointed me over to the hair section. :ohwell: They had a bunch of shelves full of stuff to ingest. Ayurveda is a medicine practice not just related to hair & body.
I actually became interested in the herbs because I'm breastfeeding and took fenugreek because it's supposed to increase your supply. After taking less than I was told to, I immediately had too much milk :blush:
I never really believed herbs could "do anything" before that. I actually emptied out the fenugreek capsules and used them in my hair stuff today because i'm certainly not taking them again!

Got some Jamila henna marinating over night for application tomorrow. I'll add a lil indigo to it right before I apply it, leave the mix on for a few hours, then DC.

Okay, ladies, my friend Ruchi says that ashwaghanda powder (especially) and centanella are a go. Ashwaghanda is used in most parts of Asia to mitigate hair loss (it's like a stronger version of amla). It's also considered an aphrodisiac, lol. Centanella is more commonly used in China but still considered safe. I'm definitely going to try the ashwaghanda.

I have seen this herb, but I was afraid to experiment with it.

ok ladies, this may sound silly, but i don't understand how cassia is the same as henna.....
i think i even read somewhere that using it with indigo can turn hair green...is that possible?
these powders are confusing so i understand op who said "the only thing i could use without loads of research was the oil", LOL!

i've been using ayurveda for over a year now and STILL do not understand the difference between cassia and henna.

is cassia called a gloss because it makes hair shiny, kind of like a cellophane clear rinse or something?

but thank you all for bringing this ashwaghanda and Centanella into the discussion because i never knew of them and now want to try them!

@flowinlocks, i didn't know you had a black dye in? is it ayurveda like?

i did the henna and indigo on feb 28th.

ladies, when would you say is the earliest i can do it again?
(i've still got brown roots and some grey/auburn color from the henna....or should i try cassia instead of henna with the indigo next time? )

i'm texlaxed and 11 weeks post.....won't perm again until may.

thanks ladies!

hhj!

Nope I hate to say it, but I'm still on the Bigen...

rejuvenation1, I'm over here drooling on all that hair. I gotta my game up Lol!

Man I'm missing this thread. I've been spread so thin. I'm glad to see you ladies keeping it rollin and having great results.

I've always only done tea rinses or glosses with my ayurvedic herbs. On Sunday for the first time I did a paste of cassia. The effect is immediate. My hair is sooo soft and detangling was so easy. I've never said that bc I have these pen spring 4A coils but it was easy this Sunday :yep:. So I will continue with the pastes from now on.

Shay72, THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!!!

i'm so happy for you! i also applaud your courage because i've wanted to try cassia for a long time, and have been doing the other ayurvedic pastes and rinses, like you. but i haven't yet gotten the courage to try the cassia......now i'm tempted even more!

i hesitate because i'm permed (texlaxed) and i just did a henna, then indigo.

have any of you permed ladies used all 3 of these powders or non permed ladies know how permed heads that do well with these?
i'm afraid of breakage because my hair is fine and lately has been tangling alot.
although i believe the henna is already helping cut down on the breakage because my hair feels alot stronger after it!

flowinlocks, you've always got so many helpful links for everybody!
i love that store and can vouch for purchasing from them.
money spent well! (i just wish they had one in europe as good as that one so shipping wouldn't be so much...!)
i didn't know you used bigen!
do you like it?
yesterday i just did my 2nd indigo treat and love love love it!
it made my hair as black as tar, just the way i want it!
plus they say the henna strengthens, so i am enjoying the new feel it's given.
i don't know why, but i always thought used them too.
i know bigen gives great blackness to hair, but again, it would envolve too much shipping and the henna is in abundant supply at my local indian stores, so that helps.

rejuvenation1, i second Flow's motion: i LOVE LOVE LOVE your hair!!!!

do you use all the ayurveda products and which do you believe do the most to promote growth?

thanks ladies and hhj!

grow I notice a huge improvement (growth) when I incorporated Brahmi oil (by vadik herbs) Mahabhringraj & of course Mustard....* I was looking for stronger thicker hair/length came with it...Just be consistent....

*Using Brahmi & Maca powders mixed with conditioners...

*My favorite is Kapur Kachri powder...You notice a difference right away/Hair health wise..

*I mix all my paste with Hibiscus Petal Powder...Gives great slip & kicks the other powders performance up a notch..*Sometimes I put Hibiscus powder in my regular con for extra SLIP...

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:
Lita, thank you so much!
:thankyou:
can you believe i've neven heard of the Kapur Kachri powder?:rolleyes:

is there a place you trust where you get it from? (i'm thinking it might be a blend..)

i made some brahmi powder (evoo+brahmi in glass jar, cooked on stove 8 hrs) but have not been consistent with it.:blush:

now i see i might need to use it every night if i would like visible results.:yep:

i did put the brahmi and maka in my henna mix a couple of days ago, though.:grin:

maybe that's why the henna took so much better this time!

i think i might need to make some infusions with the mustard oil.:scratchch

i've always used evoo, but need to incorporate more mustard oil into my reggie somehow.

this is awesome news and my hair thanks you too!:yep:

hhj ladies!

grow You can find Kapur Kachri Powder at ayurnaturalbeauty.com or at your local Indian market..(at the market) the product is by hesh..

Happy Hair Growing!

Ok I did plenty of reading and started today by oiling my hair with amla oil, then rinsing with a shikakai, amla, and fenugreek tea. I DCed afterwards. My hair is definitely thicker and shinier than it was before :lick:

I mixed the paste that was left in the bottom of my tea with conditioner and i'm going to try oiling with vatika and then cowashing with this blend.

At the indian store I went to I picked up a bottle of amla powder and the woman told me it was for ingesting and pointed me over to the hair section. :ohwell: They had a bunch of shelves full of stuff to ingest. Ayurveda is a medicine practice not just related to hair & body.
I actually became interested in the herbs because I'm breastfeeding and took fenugreek because it's supposed to increase your supply. After taking less than I was told to, I immediately had too much milk :blush:
I never really believed herbs could "do anything" before that. I actually emptied out the fenugreek capsules and used them in my hair stuff today because i'm certainly not taking them again!

leiah

Man I wish I had known that :-( I had to stop nursing because I couldn't keep up with demand!

rejuvenation1 How often do you use your powders? Recently I made a paste with amla powder, bhring-raj oil and conditioner and I am curious as to how often I should apply it to get benefits. I've also added henna/indigo to my regimen. My goals are thickening and strengthening and I really need to get an ayurvedic regimen together and do it more regularly.

leiah growinghealthyhair I used fenugreek too when nursing to increase my supply.

Thanks rejuvenation1. Yes I have just recently begun to use henna and so far so good. I made a paste of henna, amla and indigo.
I think I might begin applying just an amla paste either once per week or once every two weeks and see how that goes. I'm not sure who often I will henna/indigo.

Amla is doing weird things to my curls. I have big 3A curls. After prepooing with amla oil for an hour then washing with my shikakai/amla/fenugreek cowash they are like cylindrical coils.. like i just used a curling iron and didnt brush them out yet.

I'm still experimenting with my cowash. My hair still feels oily after I use it i'm going to have to use more shikakai and a lighter conditioner

I want to do a very light henna gloss soon with the nupur mehendi 9 herbs blend. I don't want it to affect my color or curl pattern. I'm a little scared and not sure i'll do it

grow I love your enthusiasm for things ayurvedic. You completely motivate me. :yep:

All this talk about henna has given me the fever. I think tomorrow will be a hair-pampering night. I'm thinking henna, ayurvedic powder paste, oil rinse, oil treatment...the works! My hair is a little tangled, since I haven't combed it in three days. I've just been spraying it with my moisturizing sprtiz. Yikes! But, an oil rinse always melts my tangles away.

By the way, my mom's henna went great. All of her gray turned into a bright, coppery red, which she loves and, amazingly enough, dad loves, too. He says that it makes her look younger.

Incidentally, I think I'm going to start keeping track of my hair treatments in a planner/calendar. As much as I enjoy "playing" with ayurveda recipes, I'm really trying to create a good, reliable regimen that gives me the desired results that I want. With so much going on, I don't always trust my memory, so the planner should help.

I am new to LHCF but this post makes me want to head out to the indian store tomorrow. I wash with a shakaki bar and I have some neem. I also have some amla oil and some coconut oil. What are the best conditioning powders.

Back