At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial)

What do you consider too long for you personally?

• Bra Strap Length

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Mid Back

Votes: 53 4.1%
  • Waist Length

Votes: 252 19.5%
  • Tail bone Length

Votes: 427 33.0%
  • Classic Length

Votes: 210 16.2%
  • Mid-thigh Length

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • Knee-Length

Votes: 52 4.0%
  • calf Length

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • ankle Length

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Floor Length

Votes: 69 5.3%

• Total voters
Re: At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial

Hmmm. Flattering or annoying? For me I think that if my hair was always in my way then I'd have to cut it shorter i.e., sitting on my hair constantly or getting my hair caught in the zippers of my pants.

DH has very long dreadlocks and keeps them tied back since they fall into his face (and food sometimes). He rarely wears his hair completely down. DH is definitely BSL but he has been mid back prior to a recent cut.

Re: At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial

It's an individual thing. If my hair length affects my chosen way of life negatively or becomes a hazard to my health and safety, it's too long for me. If my hair length becomes a burden and no longer brings me joy, it's too long. :)

LOL :grin:, thats a good point. Personally, i think that once my hair makes it to waist length, I would have to cap it at there. I do not think I could handle any more hair than that. But who knows, maybe its not that easy to stop itching for more growth...

I think long hair is the height of feminine beauty... I love to see women with super long hair. :yawn: I've seen lots of Indian women with a thick black braid hanging to mid-thigh, and I just want to caress it...

I voted that ankle length is too long, just because you'd trip constantly.

I've seen photos of a black German lady named Sylvia Ziegler with calf-length natural hair, and it's gorgeous! I could definately see myself with hair that length. I don't generally wear my hair down anyway, so needing to wear it tied up all the time wouldnt' be so bad to me.

I say anything past WSL begins to lose appeal. No offense but the thought of having your hair in your crack and you can't use the restroom with it down in the back turns me off. :perplexed

Last edited:

I think long hair is the height of feminine beauty... I love to see women with super long hair. :yawn: I've seen lots of Indian women with a thick black braid hanging to mid-thigh, and I just want to caress it...

I voted that ankle length is too long, just because you'd trip constantly.

I've seen photos of a black German lady named Sylvia Ziegler with calf-length natural hair, and it's gorgeous! I could definately see myself with hair that length. I don't generally wear my hair down anyway, so needing to wear it tied up all the time wouldnt' be so bad to me.
There are long-haired pics here and Sylvia Ziegler is one of them. :yep:
http://home.arcor.de/andrea-weber/haare-hairs-cheveux/haare-hairs-cheveux.html

The link of her picture isn't working for me.
Does anyone have pictures of her and her hair?
The link didn't work for me either. This is just her photo on the page. There doesn't seem to be much info about her...

The link didn't work for me either. This is just her photo on the page. There doesn't seem to be much info about her...
Awww well thx for the link anyways Isis:yep:

For me, I am stopping at Midback Level..Can't wait to get there!

If your hair is just hanging and not doing anything for your face, then it is no longer flattering. I see those pics of the women with super long hair and I think that some of them have face that would benefit from hair with curls and layers, for instance, a woman with a long face does not look good with long, straight hair most of the time. It would look so much better curly/wavy or layered and fuller.

For me,a couple inches past mbl will do just fine:yep:

Too much of anything can be bad.

Where hair is concerned, anything past mid back length is too long and too much.

Last edited:

If you're in Firefox you can right click on the picture and click "view image" to see it in full size. Otherwise, in IE you can right click on it, go to properties, copy the link and put it in your address bar, or you can download it. =)

There are plenty of women on this site with beautiful waist length or longer hair (mochamadness comes to mind:spinning:), but personally I couldn't handle anything longer than MBL. That's my personal goal.

Due to the dense shrinkage my hair can achieve, I would say the longest I might allow it to grow would be mid-back SLIGHTLY stretched in twists/braids....that would probably mean waist-tailbone fully stretched...but I do not plan on straightening my hair so I would probably never show my true length which would be fine w/ me!

I do not know if I would keep my hair that length though...since I have never come close to mid-back, I have no clue about the difficulty level of managing it....most likely I would keep doing what I have been doing (protective styles & twist/braid outs, finger-combing)...if I get tired of it, I would gladly trim to a more comfortable length but I have to get there first!!:drunk:

In terms of my opinion about other women's hair....I think anything past classic length is too much regardless of texture....

Besides, most of the women who grow their hair longer than that keep it in buns anyway, so you cannot even tell that their hair is soo long, which for me would defeat the purpose of having that much hair---no one knows & then you have to spend all that time maintaing it :nono: If you are constantly hiding your hair, you mind as well cut it! And if you have that much hair and are not hiding it, I would worry about all the drama, snagging on everything, tripping over it etc :spinning:

NappyRina

Last edited:

I'm short with thick hair, so I think at tailbone I'd look like cousin IT...:look: I hope to reach MBL and maintain that. I'm praying for it by Spring 2009 :)

ETA: For me, I don't want anything beyond MBL/WL.

Last edited:

Past the tailbone.

I say past the lumbar region is tooo much... not trying to be Cousin It

I think on me anything past waist length would be too much. I would grow my hair to waist length, and cut it with long layers to mbl. That's stretched. I really don't want more then bsl length unstretched.

I say Tailbone is no longer flattering. But I asked my husband and he surprised me.

He said it is unattractive at mid back length.

I was shocked!

He said once it grows longer than the bra strap, it is not cute anymore.

Whaaaa???

I say Tailbone is no longer flattering. But I asked my husband and he surprised me.

He said it is unattractive at mid back length.

I was shocked!

He said once it grows longer than the bra strap, it is not cute anymore.

Whaaaa???
OT: Girl, I was stalking your fotki. That is some beautiful hair you have. You are so talented. I wish I had your skill girl!!!!!!!!!!! Your transition seems to be going really well. Thats very inspiring:yep::yep:

I only want my hair to stop at APL... the more length, the more work for me. So my goal is APL only.

When it just hangs and looks flat and blah

Beyond waist nearing butt. At that point IMO it starts looking a little to earth mother goddess meets Woodstock 2008ish.

I think waist length is the max. At that point it can still be (depending on the person's features, style, etc.) youthful and sexy, it it has shine and body.

My personal max is mid back to slightly past.

I am not going to read any answers, I like it all. Its amazing to me to see ppl on photos with hair several feet long. I have never seen anyone in person with hair long then knee lenght or ankle lenght. But I was amazing with her hair. Some ppl think its age maybe someone is to old to have really long hair, it think what ever the person goal is. I dont know if I could take care of hair pass tailbone or even that long, but it still amazes me. Let the person choose I could not pick answer

To me it's booty length. BUT there are a few members here whos hair is that length and their hair is AMAZING. Is it Newflowers?? Someone with Flowers in her name I think is one of my inspirations. Her hair is booty length I think. Maybe it just depends on the height and frame of the person. I know for a midget like me booty length will have me looking like Uncle Fester :lachen:

Back