At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial)

What do you consider too long for you personally?

• Bra Strap Length

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Mid Back

Votes: 53 4.1%
  • Waist Length

Votes: 252 19.5%
  • Tail bone Length

Votes: 427 33.0%
  • Classic Length

Votes: 210 16.2%
  • Mid-thigh Length

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • Knee-Length

Votes: 52 4.0%
  • calf Length

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • ankle Length

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Floor Length

Votes: 69 5.3%

• Total voters
Re: At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial

Anything past waist length would be horrific for me. I love having long hair but for me, the length has to be a practical one I can easily deal with.

Re: At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial

It's an individual thing. If my hair length affects my chosen way of life negatively or becomes a hazard to my health and safety, it's too long for me. If my hair length becomes a burden and no longer brings me joy, it's too long. :)

I love really long hair. I think I could even be cool with hair that I can sit on. Knee length might be too much though.

I think that floor length looks a bit creepy. :)

On me, I don't want my hair past my waist. I think after waist it would just be too much hair for me.

I love really long hair. I think I could even be cool with hair that I can sit on. Knee length might be too much though.
I agree.
Not that it will ever happen but I could see myself with thigh length hair

Last edited:

Considering I'm natural and have about 50% shrinkage, anything past tailbone length is too long (I figure it would shrink to about BSL when curly and that's long enough!)

I voted Mid-Thigh. Anything beyond Classic Length would be excessive for me.

I voted for Classic length because I think anything past that point generally begins to look a bit odd on most folks, regardless of texture. (This is purely base on the people I've seen IRL, though...)

For me personally, I dunno. I saw a woman who with similar texure hair as mine who was WL....:look:...:perplexed...:nono:...not a good look :ohwell:

I think hair longer than tailbone length would be unflattering on me. I'm average height and want a hair length that is practical (can be braided and bunned still showing nice length) and enjoyable (with movement and style). I would most likely stop growing my hair out when I reached WL straight. I just hope my shrunken hair is at a nice length as well.

For MEEEEEE personally (stressing MEEEEEEE because I don't want to offend anyone), I think anything longer than APL would be tiresome. Anything longer than BSL would be unflattering. Anything longer than WL would be unsanitary.
Ita completly!

I'll let you know when I hit an unflattering length. . .
Seriously though I don't think I would want anything longer classic.

For me BSL was completely unflattering because my curls would shrink up to my shoulders and do this horrible mushroom thing.:perplexed Not cute.

I'm surprised so many people say waist lenght

for me, anything past bsl, I dont think would be flatterin 'on me'...

BSL will do it for me. If an SO requests, and only if that person wants it, I would do WL (if I can make it there)... but that would be pushing it.

I just don't want my hair to end up the elephant in the room.

You know, like when someone is ridiculously ashy and no one can muster up the strength to tell them. I dont want it to be a situation where everyone knows something should be done and I'm oblivious to it. Like when people talk about you in hushed voices... "Man that b!tch is nasty walkin around with hair dragging on the ground!"--- cause that's exactly what I said about that girl in the video someone posted.:blush:

I just don't want to be that girl everyone is like... man can you please just cut the damn hair!?!:lachen:

Plus I just think my 3c/4a/4b mess would not be happy hanging over my booty. Start combing my hair and smellin poo :nono: or worse, can you imagine detangling that crap? You can't do a shake and go if your hair is at your ankles.

But if you can get there and maintain it and keep it clean, more power to you, seriously. I would rather see a black woman with natural hair down her back that is taken care of than just long hair.

Last edited:

Hmm, for me personally I don't think I'd look right with anything past waist length, since I'm 5'2 and long hair makes me look shorter.
But in general I think any hair that has ends that are excessively split or fried the last several inches or so needs to be cut if it's beyond repair... Whats the purpose of having long hair if it's really unhealthy? That's just my humble opinion though.

My hair is natural...and incredibly thick...and currently only two inches past shoulder length and a LOT to deal with...so personally, I'm gonna say anything past my bra strap is too long and too much to deal with!

Maybe when I have a real job and am getting some real money and have someone doing my hair once a week maybe I'll let it get longer but right we'll have to see.

I was on another forum admiring all of these ladies beautiful waist length hair. Indian, Spanish, Black, etc. But then I got to a white woman who had waist length hair, and I don't know what it was. Maybe the color...but it looked so dull and boring, and I couldn't hate but think she needs to cut or layer it quickly!:perplexed

I was on another forum admiring all of these ladies beautiful waist length hair. Indian, Spanish, Black, etc. But then I got to a white woman who had waist length hair, and I don't know what it was. Maybe the color...but it looked so dull and boring, and I couldn't hate but think she needs to cut or layer it quickly!:perplexed
What website is this? I want to admire some waist length hair.

I voted for classic in general, after that it gets kinda gross. For me personally, I probably won't be growing past WSL. I'll see when I get there though. BSL isn't all that long to me, so who knows if I'll be happy at WSL :spinning:.

Anything past MBL might not look nice on me. Plus my hair is heavy when it's healthy.

Being able to have a set like the lady Pantene commercials would be perfect. Sorry I could not find a pic, but she has black hair and a head full of curls that look like they were set on nickel sized rollers. I could get with that.

If I can sit on it, it is too long for me.

I'm only speaking for myself, but I agree. I want my hair to be about waistlength. I could deal with tailbone length, but anything longer than that I'd probably be sitting on it or slamming it in car doors or I'd just be wearing it up most of the time.

I will provide a diagram so that there's no question.

Please use the diagram as your reference point...

For me, I'm gonna say anything past Tailbone,

What is too long for you personally?

Remember this is a question for you, not others.

....hmmmm.....:rolleyes:

....well, ah, anything past calf-length is just STANK and INAPPROPRIATE IMO! :mad:

I'll let you know when I hit an unflattering length. . .
Seriously though I don't think I would want anything longer classic.

For me BSL was completely unflattering because my curls would shrink up to my shoulders and do this horrible mushroom thing.:perplexed Not cute.

Ok if my hair looked like THIS I may be forced to reevaluate my answer to toe length or somethin :lachen: Gorgeous :spinning:

Back