At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial)

What do you consider too long for you personally?

• Bra Strap Length

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Mid Back

Votes: 53 4.1%
  • Waist Length

Votes: 252 19.5%
  • Tail bone Length

Votes: 427 33.0%
  • Classic Length

Votes: 210 16.2%
  • Mid-thigh Length

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • Knee-Length

Votes: 52 4.0%
  • calf Length

Votes: 13 1.0%
  • ankle Length

Votes: 11 0.9%
  • Floor Length

Votes: 69 5.3%

• Total voters
Re: At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial

Same here although I've only ever seen type 1 and 2 hair longer than classic. I suspect I would think a type 3 or 4 at classic or longer the most beautiful head of hair in the world.

Most of the time, Shakira has waist length hair and her's look great. And she does her own hair. But for me, I think anything past the middle part of my back, I don't really want it.

In fact, I think I'm fine with BSL :yep:

Re: At what Length is hair no longer flattering??? (Warning this may be controversial

the consensus amongst most 'professionals' is that anything past midback takes the focus away from the face, but i love hair and would definitely like mine to be waist length. I dont think i could handle anything more than that, but wouldnt mind it. Knee and floor length doesnt seem attractive to me though - seems kinda unnecessary exaggerated. to each his/her own :grin:

For me personally I would like to stop growing my hair when it gets to waist lenght I am really pushing for that becasue I love the old fashion updue and you can only achieve them if you have alonger lengths and thats my goal. I do not wish to have my hair longer then that because I think I would hate it but it looks good on other people and I admire then for wanting to take care of hair that long.

Hair beyond Tail-bone/Classic length is gross to me only because the idea of hair getting caught in some's a$$ is gross.

I'm going to cosign with previous posters...
I think when you're able to sit on it...
it might be A BIT MUCH
I don't want my hair anywhere near my a**
that's just me... but... you know to each her own.

It varies by person. Pretty much any length where the hair just hangs without style and begins to look unruly.

I don't think the length is as important as the appearance of hair. I've seen people with beautiful butt length hair, and people with raggedy shoulder length hair.

I think if it's really long (waist length or longer) having even ends is very important!:yep:

i will go w/ tailbone.....BUT it depends. i think bone straight hair is unflattering after midbackich-length. It just hangs there doing absolutely nothing for the person's look.
to be longer in length you really need some body, waves, curls, kinks... nahmean?

I completely agree with this. The problem with "too long" is when it's straight. Past MBL, straight hair can begin to be unflattering ESPECIALLY if the person has a long face.

I think once you start heading towards waist-length & beyond it starts changing from people admiring your hair to people just being like, "Has she HEARD of scissors?"

Hopefully one day I'll have to deal with the issue of "Is my hair too long?" and it will be AWESOME.

Last edited:

Because I am so short anything past BSL would make me look like cousin "IT" or that thing in "The Ring"

I'm going to cosign with previous posters...
I think when you're able to sit on it...
it might be A BIT MUCH
I don't want my hair anywhere near my a**
that's just me... but... you know to each her own.

SouthernTease your hair is phenomenal.

I would say midback. After that, I think hair would take away from my overall look and not help to highlight it.

For me, anything past WL. I plan to maintain at WL.

Anything past midback. I mean... I can barely afford the products now.... How will I afford conditioner for Waist length hair. Really...:ohwell:

At what Length is hair no longer flattering???

I'm not sure...but I can't wait to suffer from this dilemma!!!

I don't know. I'll try to find this thread and bump it to answer if I ever get to that point. :)

I say waist length. IMO (IN MY OPINION) I have never understood the desire for waist length or beyond. Long hair looses it's umph/flair at that length.

I prefer no more than MBL for myself, I've seen WL on some women and it looks pretty on them... Seeing that I'm 5'3" MBL will be all that I can handle and need, so I defitenitly say it vary from person to person... No more than WL, any longer is too much too even look at, but that's just my opinion..

When someone starts to look like this...

70616114908725.jpg

As for myself, anything below waistlength would be too much...especially since I'm only 5'2"!

MBL will be enough for me :yep: Anything else will be too much of a hassle.

i will go w/ tailbone.....BUT it depends. i think bone straight hair is unflattering after midbackich-length. It just hangs there doing absolutely nothing for the person's look.
to be longer in length you really need some body, waves, curls, kinks... nahmean?

I agree completely :yep:

IM 4'11 and im shooting for WL... I have tried on the wigs, envisioned it, drew it out on paper.... I feel like I good with hair that long. Now thats WL straight not natural.. I would never be able to st8en my hair it it was that long naturally. So I guess natural BSL and stretched, WL. (Im shorter than everyone on here, trust me, you can do it):drunk:

My goal is full/bottom WL...Which might be too long...But I'll see when I get there.:grin:

Otherwise, I think anything past TBL would be too long for me.

WL for me. I want to grow my hair to WL just to see if it can grow that long but I wouldn't keep it that long. I want to have nice styled hair, WL hair look like it sit there and does nothing els. It looks like it takes more head movement to swing WL hair then it does BSL hair. I'm also short and don't want to look like cousin it.

My goal is TBL natural. At the momentI don't know what I would
consider personally too long. I can say that if TBL isn't long enough
for me I would go to classic. Many, many years ago I was at waist,
so I know that is not too long for me.

For me tailbone length and longer would be unflattering.

I will provide a diagram so that there's no question.

Please use the diagram as your reference point...

For me, I'm gonna say anything past Tailbone,

What is too long for you personally?

Remember this is a question for you, not others.

Hi Nikki - I'm in agreement with you on this - more than tailbone (for me personally) is too much.

Anything past classic just looks blah....

I voted for mid-thigh length. I just think if you can sit on it, you're doing too much. :perplexed

Back