Are We To Blame? Online Vendors

@shawnyblazes
I think one of my biggest problems with Handmade/Natural On-Line Purchases is probably the Shipping Costs.

Honestly, I'd like to buy from a few others, but they can't get those shipping costs to a reasonable amount.

Shipping Costs keeps me from trying more. I'm the "Queen" of mock-carts, and I do a lot of "Swaps" so I know what reasonable shipping looks like.

Your Thoughts on this subject?
I know USPS has gone up but I don't think shipping should be more than the price of an item and you only have 2 items in your cart. I haven't purchased from Butters and something for that very reason.

I know USPS has gone up but I don't think shipping should be more than the price of an item and you only have 2 items in your cart. I haven't purchased from Butters and something for that very reason.

@shawnyblazes
Butters N Bars and they got a couple things I want BAD. :angry2:

Also, I couldn't do Shi-Naturals either and there were a couple things I liked from her. :nono:

The Shipping is cost prohibitive.

And I also hate when Shipping is more than the discount. :nono2:

@shawnyblazes @CeeLex33 @rileypak
What's your thoughts on reformulation(s)?

Normally, I'll wait to see what others say about the reform and also after careful review of the new ingredients etc...

Right now SSI is having problems getting a particular ingredient for their Banana Brule so it's been listed OOS. They said they would rather keep it OOS until they are able to get 'said ingredient'

They do not want to reformulate that product. And I can accept that.

But to make formulation changes w/o letting your customer base know in advance why etc.... is a little off-putting.

@IDareT'sHair

I have to agree with the shipping costs being a deterring factor in purchasing handmade products. This has definitely made me order fewer times than I'd like to. Sometimes even the discounts we get are not enough to off-set those horrid shipping costs. Thank goodness I have a US based shipping address or I would never order anything, not to ship products directly to the Bahamas:nono:.

ETA: Now if the discounts reach all the way to 50% off, then we are cookin'. I'd overlook the shipping cost in this case.

This is a tricky one, if it's a staple being reformulated- I'll be honest I'm going to stock up prior and wait to see what reviews folks have for the new formulation before trying it. Making any formulation changes without letting your customers know is a definite no go in my book. I can think of at least one vendor that changed a very popular product without giving their customers a heads up; and although there are other products from them that I would like to try- I just can't pull the trigger on a new order.

I'm all about constantly improving things, but sometimes if it ain't broke....
There are other vendors that have reformulated products and given customers the option to choose the original or new version. They're the REAL MVP:cup:

There are other vendors that have reformulated products and given customers the option to choose the original or new version. They're the REAL MVP:cup:

@CeeLex33
I was going to mention this. :lol: All PJ's think alike.:love:

It reminded me of when Jakeala came out with that new version of Sweet Honey Hair Thang (because folks were complaining about how messy/gooey the original product was).

The new version was more creamy than the gooey original and most folks wanted the gooey one back. Now she gives you the option.

OT: One thing I like about Siamese Twist is that she gives you the option of Glycerin or No Glycerin.

@IDareT'sHair

Being able to customize products is AWESOME! I really try to support vendors that offer these options to their customer base. We all have different hair needs AND sensitivities that being able to choose certain ingredients in our products is next level to me. Some folks like to cycle out their hair products seasonally and having the capability to add/remove certain ingredients is super helpful and allows a level of flexibility to fit your hair needs.
:2inlove:

@CeeLex33
Speaking of cycling out seasonally, it does make sense to not ship certain butters during the warmer months.

I am looking at this new line (to me) and she said she wouldn't be shipping any butters until September. Pick Up only. And that makes sense. I will look at her again in September.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwir1rG46b7OAhWDVyYKHQg6D0sQFgg7MAE&url=http://www.mstiaradean.com/about&usg=AFQjCNENjr0wFS1vlR0xpFc6gcocW1OnTA&sig2=TaqtSKtMdG3HQtbpqHPe0g

Last edited:
@thickness what salon products are you using ?
Avlon/Keracare. I trust the science and research behind their products. And my hair feels so good now. No more of that greasy coated feeling that some drugstore/handmade products did to my hair. I can touch it and my hair just feels moisturized and healthy. I order salon sizes online from ensleybeautysupply.Com
Their prices are much less than retail and cheaper than wholesale. The customer service and shipping is excellent.

@thickness
Are you Natural or Relaxed/Texlaxed?
I'm natural with dense 4ab hair with thick strands.
ETA: I've been natural a long time and have tried a LOT of products. Some were hit or miss. I no longer look to YT gurus for product recommendations. I used Keracare when I was relaxed and also when I was texturized. I thought it was just for chemically treated hair. But tried it on a whim and was amazed at how well my hair felt. That was 3 years ago and I have never looked back.

Last edited:
@CeeLex33
Speaking of cycling out seasonally, it does make sense to not ship certain butters during the warmer months.

I am looking at this new line (to me) and she said she wouldn't be shipping any butters until September. Pick Up only. And that makes sense. I will look at her again in September.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwir1rG46b7OAhWDVyYKHQg6D0sQFgg7MAE&url=http://www.mstiaradean.com/about&usg=AFQjCNENjr0wFS1vlR0xpFc6gcocW1OnTA&sig2=TaqtSKtMdG3HQtbpqHPe0g

I actually prefer that they stop shipping products they know will melt during the hot months. Or offer the options for customer's to purchase a cold pack if they want to order. I don't buy things that I know might melt during summer to avoid those issues.

Side bar- Good God- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Butter? I'm intrigued!

Okay: So here's my current situation - I've been buying from Ultra Black Hair a number of years. Always, Always, Always had excellent Ship time etc.... Normally it takes 3-5 business days after purchasing U-P-S.

I try to get Liters and if not 16oz because I use it every wash day. But in all practicality I should get a Gallon.

I consider this product one of my HG's (which I don't call many products that) but this one is. And, for me, there is nothing I've found that does what this does at the step of my Regimen that I use it for.

I ordered a Liter on 07/01. ($43.00 + some change) After about x2-3 weeks I started getting concerned. So, I contact her and she is out of some ingredient and says I can either get a Refund or she would discount my Shipping.

I'm trying to hold on and told her to just refund my Shipping ($12.00) She has been very responsive throughout this entire process but man really?

Since I've never had an issue with UBH - I mean EVER (except for the apparent lack of Sales) I am trying to be patient.

But as of Thursday, she still has no idea when it will ship. I guess Imma give her until 09/01 and request a refund and try to get it Labor Day.

And those of ya'll that know me, know I am never without a Back/Up, so I messed up this time and it's biting me in the behind.

Last edited:
I actually prefer that they stop shipping products they know will melt during the hot months. Or offer the options for customer's to purchase a cold pack if they want to order. I don't buy things that I know might melt during summer to avoid those issues. Side bar- Good God- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Butter? I'm intrigued!

@CeeLex33
I've received some w/Cold-Packs before. Can't remember the vendor(s) though?

Are you talmbout those Tiara Dean Butters? I haven't tried them yet. This will be new to me, but @Rozlewis said they are decadently-fabulous.:love2:

They will be right on time for Fall/Winter. Hopefully, she will have a Sale when she re-opens for on-line shipping. Hmmm??? I should ask.:lol:....:look:

@IDareT'sHair honestly, if you have been ordering from her for ages AND she is a staple AND she has been responsive etc. I agree and would probably try and wait it out till 9/1 and pray that she gets the ingredient b4 you cancel the order. :(

Those Tiara Dean Butters look :drool: I like that she sells samples too. That's another issue I have with some vendors- why is it so hard to sell samples? I'd prefer to get a ton of samples of different products instead of ordering 1 or 2 4oz products that I may or may not like. PJs aint got room to spare LOL.

Omg! Y'all talking so much I can't keep up lol.

I feel like customer service is a huge indicator of whether I will frequent again.

In terms of handmade, it's just a choice you have to make. I feel like OTG products are very good, but you are also making the conscious choice of buying a products with higher amounts of preservatives (refer to Miss Kane post) that may be more harmful along with other chemicals in general. I understand getting upset about products spoiling but I also think about products that don't. That are able to sit on a shelf for years. And years. And years. Your not really avoiding anything in the end. I'm not knocking any OTG brands, as I have some that I still rely on, but I look at brands like Nexxus whom charge quite a bit for even a drugstore brand and have reformulated at least 3 times in the last 10 years I've used them and more they move away from heavy chemical usage, the products still work the same (at least for me) but the price is not changing. I think that's a different subject though.

Storage is a huge factor too. I have a jar of SD SWD for 3 years that's still fine. I found a full bottle of DB PSC in my closet back last winter, so deep in the closet, and it was fine. My APB has yet to spoil. I have kept my NG in my closet, though now I keep it in the fridge, but it never spoiled. My closet is dark and dry and I keep clearer jars to the back and darker ones to the front. Even common household products have "keep in a cool dark place" on their labels. So I don't treat me handmades any different. I don't expect my products to spoil, but I don't expect them to not spoil either. That's my conscious decision. But let's talk about my nexxus emergencee that sat in my shower for 4 years and nothing ever happened. Meanwhile, my SD couldn't catch a break and spoiled in a month in the shower.

Now, I've ordered from HQS and Hairtage before. HQS I never had issues with. The one and only time I ordered from Devon (y'all know I call her by name because I don't like her!!!!!), I had been waiting 2 weeks for my purchase to ship. I sent her and email and this heepher gon' tell me "Did you look at the website before you ordered? All order take 2-3 weeks to ship". My reply: "Thanks and in the future, I don't need your attitude". I sat up straight for that one. She apologized, but I was done. Done. Mufuqing DONE! Loved her products but refused to repurchase. Then the gate happened and I was just sitting back smiling. They got you ****!!!!

I just need good customer service. I may never frequent you again, but at least I can tell someone "I've had good service from them!"

In terms of shipping, I know it's harder for small businesses to not undercharge, but $11 for 1lb of product is excessive. I don't need a box. Find an envelope. Let them stuff my product in the mailbox. Your box is causing me more work. Why? Because I have to wait an extra day to pick it up from the post office. I also accept up to 2 weeks handling time, but don't take the entire 2 weeks and then I have to walk to the post office. When things like that happens, I don't reorder.

Moral of the story: I made the decision to buy, I have to live and learn from my decisions. Positive or negative.

@IDareT'sHair honestly, if you have been ordering from her for ages AND she is a staple AND she has been responsive etc. I agree and would probably try and wait it out till 9/1 and pray that she gets the ingredient b4 you cancel the order. :(

Those Tiara Dean Butters look :drool: I like that she sells samples too. That's another issue I have with some vendors- why is it so hard to sell samples? I'd prefer to get a ton of samples of different products instead of ordering 1 or 2 4oz products that I may or may not like. PJs aint got room to spare LOL.

I may or may not have a mock cart and her browser open in the background. :look:

honestly, if you have been ordering from her for ages AND she is a staple AND she has been responsive etc. I agree and would probably try and wait it out till 9/1 and pray that she gets the ingredient b4 you cancel the order. :(

@CeeLex33
I needs muh crack.:drool:

Yeah, Imma try to wait it out. But it's my fault too for not having a b/up. :wallbash:

But I never dreamed in a million years this would happen either.

She has been responsive and did offer me a Refund if I chose not to wait. If I don't get it by 09/01 or hear something positive, I'll get the refund and try to revisit it BF.

Yeah, those butters look wonderful. And Roz said they were/are wonderful. :love3:

Agreed about the samples - more folks should offer those especially for 1st time buyers.:yep:

@Saludable84 @CeeLex33 @shawnyblazes
I think a lot of us on-liners look at it as a Hobby and we want to support those Handmade/Natural Companies.

And on-line purchases is our version of Hobby-L-obby. This is our hobby.

I always say - BoBeam is so nice I buy something from her whether I need it or not because she is so freaking nice. Same with NG and a few others I could name. They are just so nice. They go above & beyond to make sure you are pleased with your purchase.

Saludable - Your post summed everything up.:goodpost:

It all about choices. I think we would all agree good Customer Service is important.

And that 1st experience either positive or negative will set the tone for any future purchases.

@CeeLex33
I was going to mention this. :lol: All PJ's think alike.:love:

It reminded me of when Jakeala came out with that new version of Sweet Honey Hair Thang (because folks were complaining about how messy/gooey the original product was).

The new version was more creamy than the gooey original and most folks wanted the gooey one back. Now she gives you the option.

OT: One thing I like about Siamese Twist is that she gives you the option of Glycerin or No Glycerin.
@IDareT'sHair
Which one of the honey hair thang formulation did you like best? Anyone else who has bought this can chime in as well.

I honestly like all the various wonderful scents that are offered by many handmade product companies. I don't get this great option from commercial product companies. Seriously ladies, do you feel that you spend way more because of this great feature?

Back