April 2016: Hits & Misses

How do you use it: leave in, rinse out, or DC?

I wonder if folk on the board are stilling using Megatek/Ovation for growth and retention? I still haven't found anything else that comes close to making my hair so strong while encouraging growth/retention.

I've used it as a DC for years. 30 minutes on with heat. My hair really likes it. This year is the first time I've spent experimenting with new to me products to see if I could find a replacement.

How do you use it?

I've used it as a DC for years. 30 minutes on with heat. My hair really likes it. This year is the first time I've spent experimenting with new to me products to see if I could find a replacement.

How do you use it?

I too use it as a DC with heat for 30 minutes, let my hair cool then rinse out the Megatek and after my hair has dried a bit, apply the Sitranillah with heat for 3o minutes, then rinsing and following up with my AVJ rinse.

I used Giovanni Nutrafix faithfully but about a year or so ago, I ran out of the Nutrafix and had some Ovation laying around in the bottom of the bottle. I used the Ovation and I was hooked: it made my fine hair so much stronger than the Nutrafix but then I remembered why I stopped using the Ovation: the price. But once I found out the Megatek was virtually the same as Ovation, I've been rocking with Megatek ever since.

It's thebomb.com

And based on your hair description, we have a lot of hair similarities: fine, low density, high porosity and protein loving!

New Hit: SM Superfruit 10 in 1 masque. I got this from a product swap a few months ago and I was pleasantly surprised at how soft my hair is. I'm gonna pick up a few jars during the next sale. This will make a nice back up to my DIY conditioner (whenever I decide to make it)

Continued hits: CRN ginger rinse, MHC Type 4 cream, Amazon Rain (PBN) MMM. My hair and scalp feel so good.

MISS: Eqss claiming Megatek is "Not Intended for Human Use." Boy, bye. I'm not finna pay $60 for a single bottle of Ovation Cell Therapy which is the exact same formulation as Megatek so quit playing. This human intends to continuing using Megatek.

@JulietWhiskey
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
For some reason, this just cracked me up!

Question: So you see no difference from the bottle with the Flowers vs the Bottle with just the writing?

I'm holding onto x1 bottle of Original.

Miss

The smell of this Sheamoisture Superfruit masque. What in sand heck is this smell? it smells straight chemical and cloying. UGH

A Hit which I don't really want it to be a hit.

I didn't rinse the masque out until the next day. Tell me why my hair was super soft and I went straight to styling in fear of over moisturizing my hair.

Sad Hit

The old formula of UFD Curly Magic ( before the divorce), no leave in needed, soft plump hair.

A Hit which I don't really want it to be a hit. I didn't rinse the masque out until the next day. Tell me why my hair was super soft and I went straight to styling in fear of over moisturizing my hair.

@shawnyblazes
After you posted about the 'scent' I remembered that I had this in a Body Wash which I thought smelled decent (as a Body Wash).

I have a Jar of this too.

Good Review:up:

@shawnyblazes
After you posted about the 'scent' I remembered that I had this in a Body Wash which I thought smelled decent (as a Body Wash).

I have a Jar of this too.

Good Review:up:

As I was rinsing my hair, I kept saying yuck! Maybe because the masque is concentrated and creamy its such an overload? I don't know but either way it's going to be a minute before I circle back to this, soft hair or not @IDareT'sHair

A Hit which I don't really want it to be a hit.

I didn't rinse the masque out until the next day. Tell me why my hair was super soft and I went straight to styling in fear of over moisturizing my hair.

Sad Hit

The old formula of UFD Curly Magic ( before the divorce), no leave in needed, soft plump hair.

I was really surprised by that masque. I couldn't smell anything because I'm a little congested. I'm blaming this crazy "spring" weather *side eyes snow in April*

Miss:

-As I Am Twist Out Cream...leaves a sticky residue and little balls of product on my hair. It did not give a lot of curl elongation. However, it *does* work well when I use it to slick my hair into a bun or ponytail. It makes the curls at the front of my head pop.
Yes to all of that.

I initially liked it because it gave me good results, but over time it was very drying to my hair and left a residue, even if it wasn't really seen.

@JulietWhiskey
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
For some reason, this just cracked me up!

Question: So you see no difference from the bottle with the Flowers vs the Bottle with just the writing?

I'm holding onto x1 bottle of Original.

The one I'm using now has no flowers on it, just writing but the bottles I've used in the past have had the flowers. I have seen no discernable differences from either one.

Were some folks noticing a difference?

The one I'm using now has no flowers on it, just writing but the bottles I've used in the past have had the flowers. I have seen no discernable differences from either one.

Were some folks noticing a difference?

When I first bought back in 2008-9, the formulation was a bit stronger. They (Eqyss) said it was the same, but they put a new label on that suggests differently. I still liked it so like you I didn't see a significant difference. But there were quite a few threads back in the day complaining about the change.

Consistent Hit: Bask...Bekura...whatever Reparative Hair Soak

This product always results in soft, highly moisturized hair with a bit of strength. It only takes a bit of the product for full saturation and it doesn't require heat to reap its benefits. However, its astronomical price tag prevents me from assigning it staple status or encouraging a repeat purchase.

Miss: NurCreations shipping. Now I understand increased turn around time for handmade products but the fact that you like 15miles away from me and it still took a bit over 2 weeks to get my products (on top of the high arse shipping) is a no go when there's no sale going on. And the package shipped out almost a week after the label was created. So a week to get a label and another week to get to me. Until I saw the package in the kitchen I had forgotten that I ordered from her. I'ma just ask if she can meet me at the gas station next time I order.

They reformulated. I think the flowers package represents the new formula.

@mzteaze
Yes, I am aware of that.:yep:
The one I'm using now has no flowers on it, just writing but the bottles I've used in the past have had the flowers. I have seen no discernable differences from either one. Were some folks noticing a difference?

@JulietWhiskey
Yes, the order of the ingredients changed "supposedly" something about US and European standards required that they list the ingredients in a different order, but it did not affect the effectiveness of the product according to Eqyss.

But folks were complaining after the change in how the ingredients were listed, that it was slightly different and not as 'potent'.

When I first bought back in 2008-9, the formulation was a bit stronger. They (Eqyss) said it was the same, but they put a new label on that suggests differently. I still liked it so like you I didn't see a significant difference. But there were quite a few threads back in the day complaining about the change.

@mzteaze
This exactly.:yep:

We tried to buy up all the old Label. I should have really bought a Gallon before it changed.

I've had both (one with the flowers and the one w/o) and I think there is a difference especially since the Hydrolzed Keratin has moved way down the ingredient list from where it was originally.

Early Hits:

Shea Moisture Smooth Finish Blow Dry Cream w/ KeraVega Monoi Oil Complex
She Moisture Smooth FInish Thermal Protection Spray w/ KeraVega Monoi Oil Complex
I used these very sparingly for my blow dry.
Pros - My hair did feel smoother and appeared more sleek compared to previous times.
My hair did not feel coated and weighed down.
Con - the scent is a bit strong.

Hit:
Kiss Products Universal Detangling Air Pik attachment for my blow dyer
Pro - cut down my drying time by about 1/2 hr, and made it super easy to go through my sections
Con - a bit bulky, and occasionally slipped off, so I kept having to push it down to prevent it coming off. A bit annoying but the shorter time was worth it.

Last edited:
Hit:
TGIN Honey Mask. Barely needed 2oz of conditioner for all my head. Spreads really well. I didn't use heat, but for 10 minutes it still wasn't bad. I wouldn't recommend that, but I promise you use it with heat. Smell isn't terrible and doesn't linger. Definitely a keeper.

Miss
Madame c j walker cleansing conditioner. Absolutely no slip. Tangled my hair. Awful product.

Madame c j walker moisture conditioner. No slip. No moisture.
After using these products I had to clarify my hair and deep condition. Thank goodness for Sephora samples. I've gotten this product line completely off my radar.

Hit:
TGIN Honey Mask. Barely needed 2oz of conditioner for all my head. Spreads really well. I didn't use heat, but for 10 minutes it still wasn't bad. I wouldn't recommend that, but I promise you use it with heat. Smell isn't terrible and doesn't linger. Definitely a keeper.
@Saludable84
Very Nice Review. I have this and cannot wait to try it.

Continued Hits:

Rain, stepped outside and my hair curled up in glee. Moisture, moisture ,moisture!
UFD Curly Magic ( Pre divorce formula), moisturizing on its own. No leave in needed.
@shawnyblazes
Cute about the Rain! I agree. Moisture for days.
Miss
Madame c j walker cleansing conditioner. Absolutely no slip. Tangled my hair. Awful product.

Madame c j walker moisture conditioner. No slip. No moisture.
After using these products I had to clarify my hair and deep condition. Thank goodness for Sephora samples. I've gotten this product line completely off my radar
@naturalyogini

Not that I was even remotely curious about this line, but Great Review. Thanks!

So, this is me vs methi paste, version dos

Hit:. Methi paste
I tried a different approach from the last version which ended with me cussing out some cheap shampoo. I had pieces of methi caught in my hair from version one.

Version dos had hibiscus, Amla and methi powder started with hot water. I blended with a hand mixer and good to go. Added in a few tablespoons of super grow oil and applied to my hair.

A sort of hit:. Hydratherma Naturals Moisture Conditioner
I love the orange scent. It was ok on my hair but not extra moisturizing. Not so sure I would buy again.

Hit: every Honey's Handmade product I've tried has been amazing which is hurts my soul cuz...

Miss: Honey's Handmade customer service. The worst service ever. I should not still be trying to get s replacement for something y'all messed 10 flipping days later. Guess I gotta blast y'all on IG to get a resolution. The order I placed the other day will be my last unless I get a damn good resolution.

Hit: Chi Argan + Moringa Oil

I like this serum. My hair is soft and detangled well. It saved me from my next point...

Miss: Biotera Ultra Color Conditioner

It made my hair slightly hard in the shower. My hair is a bit shinier but I could feel it stiffening up a little bit when I put it in/rinsed it out so there was no slip. Not extremely bad but not something I'm ever going to repurchase. I see why the sample sizes are 0.19 at Sally's :lol: I still like their moisturizing conditioner though.

Back