April 2016: Hits & Misses

Complete and utter never again MISS:

OK, I normally try products at least 2-3 times before they land on my never again list. Tonight, I've met my first never EVER again product on the one and done list. I received it free too. Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Moisture L.O.C. Cleansing Shampoil. My hair felt stripped and tangly with ONE shampoo. I had to set this crap aside and grab a better shampoo to finish the job.

Now, this brings me to a side by side comparison of products that are made by one parent company, just two different divisions. Never really had an opportunity to do this before, but I used the Keratase Chroma Riche shampoo after Dark and Lovely. Immediately, my dry, tangly hair felt normal again. I was ultimately able to get the stuff I had caught in my hair out without stripping the hair to death.

But it was clear to see the differences between an inexpensive poo and one that's considered mid priced. Just looking at the ingredients, the oils advertised on the front of D&L (moringa and coconut) are literally the last ingredients in the product. SMH at the false advertisement and raised expectations. If you don't want to be a kitchen mistress, skip the D&L stuff because I think mixing in oils and stuff is the only way to make it work.

Sorry for this rant but I am pissed.:arguing::bangdesk:

Tough to do when I got methi (fenugreek seeds) stuck in my hair setting off this entire episode. I ain't even mad at THAT.

@mzteaze

Can you return any of it?:nono:

Nope. I received it as part of a gift bag from a hair event. While I hate wasting product, I would feel bad passing down to my friends/relatives who EAGERLY take my cast offs. It was just that bad AND I got the matching conditioner. Needless to say, I have zero plans on using that product.

I've never used a product that got my bile rolling with anger like this. I think what really makes me angry about it is, I know so many on the hair boards who would consider products like this because the price is right and it's easily accessible at local BSS, drug stores and chain stores. But I just imagine so many using it and wondering why their hair is dry and tangly despite following regimens that work for so many others. Just never knowing it's just the crappy cheap product they bought undermining their best efforts.

SUPER HIT: Hairveda MoistPRO Conditioner!

Paging @IDareT'sHair

I got another Hairveda winner, ya'll! I used the MoistPRO after clarifying my hair and man oh man, it made my hair soft, detangled and STRONG! And the scent is much kinder to my allergies than the Red Tea! So while I love the conditioning effects of the Red Tea, I'm regulating it to rinse-out status to save my poor sinuses.

I decided to rotate the Moist 24/7, MoistPRO and Red Tea for my cowashes and post-shampoo conditioners and use the Moist 24/7 and MoistPRO as leave-ins.

I :love4: Hairveda!

Last edited:
Last night I used 3 new to me Hask products. The bamboo oil strengthening shampoo and conditioner and the monoi & coconut oil deep conditioner.
Shampoo: 8/10- has some slip and I was able to detangle a bit. Left my hair feeling strong but not stripped.
R/o Conditioner: 7/10- has very little slip, but I was able to detangle in about 15 minutes (suave usually takes 10 or less). I had to add more conditioner and water to get through it. My hair was very soft afterwards. No coated feeling from cones, just nice soft moisturized hair.
Deep conditioner: 5/10 (for now) Have to revisit. I feel asleep with it in, woke up at 1am to wash it out so I have to try it again because I was just in a rush to get it out of my hair so I could twist and go back to sleep. But when I was applying it didn't feel bad, had some slip but I don't like the fact that I had to use a little over 1/3 of the tube to feel like it was actually on my hair. That means I may get 2 full uses from 1 6oz tube.

Neither of them are a must have. Wouldn't repurchase any.

Nope. I received it as part of a gift bag from a hair event. While I hate wasting product, I would feel bad passing down to my friends/relatives who EAGERLY take my cast offs. It was just that bad AND I got the matching conditioner. Needless to say, I have zero plans on using that product.

I've never used a product that got my bile rolling with anger like this. I think what really makes me angry about it is, I know so many on the hair boards who would consider products like this because the price is right and it's easily accessible at local BSS, drug stores and chain stores. But I just imagine so many using it and wondering why their hair is dry and tangly despite following regimens that work for so many others. Just never knowing it's just the crappy cheap product they bought undermining their best efforts.

This is so true. I've been on the hair boards for a minute and it wasn't until recently that I realized I wasn't just cursed with dry, perpetually tangled hair. The products that I used and how I used them just sucked! I really thought that all conditioners were the same and that there was no difference between higher quality and lower quality ingredients/products. I hated my hair for a long time because of this. I know now that ingredients and formulations make a world of difference.

Hit:
-Going to a salon for the first time in years! I really think I've found a place I can trust with my hair and the funniest thing is that the owner/main stylist is a (sweet) german woman who adores curly/kinky hair and cares more about health than looks and my hair has never been more defined! :2inlove:
- Komaza's protein treatment. Even for my lo-po hair this was fantastic.
- (Tentative) Jane Carter shampoo and conditioner. I'm surprised I've never tried these but they seem to work great. However I'm still under the steamer so I'll see if the moisture I got will actually last.

Miss:
- Using any type of mousse as a styler. Stiff, crunchy, horrible feeling hair that doesn't go away with oil or conditioner. Only shampoo will get that mess out.
- Henna labs henna :angry2: I've never had a henna lead to so much breakage, tangling and run so much!
- Buying two leave-ins that I realized I didn't need (anyone want to trade?)

Last edited:
HITS: The double whammy of Megatek Rebuilder followed by Hairveda Sitranillah!
The protein in Megatek stops shedding, breakage and helps my high porosity hair retain moisture while the Sitranillah keeps my hair soft, detangled and moisturized! My hair always feels AMAZING after DCing with these wonder twins of healthy hair!

HIT: Rinsing with pure Aloe Vera Juice, the kind you have to keep refrigerated!
This stuff helps seal in all that goodness from Megatek and Sitranillah and keeps my high porosity hair super moisturized, soft and silky for days!

MISS: Eqss claiming Megatek is "Not Intended for Human Use." Boy, bye. I'm not finna pay $60 for a single bottle of Ovation Cell Therapy which is the exact same formulation as Megatek so quit playing. This human intends to continuing using Megatek.

MISS: Dumping a cup of freezing Aloe Vera Juice over my head.
Ya'll, it's like doing the "Ice Bucket Challenge"every time I DC my hair. #thethingswedoforhealthyhair

HITS: The double whammy of Megatek Rebuilder followed by Hairveda Sitranillah!
The protein in Megatek stops shedding, breakage and helps my high porosity hair retain moisture while the Sitranillah keeps my hair soft, detangled and moisturized! My hair always feels AMAZING after DCing with these wonder twins of healthy hair!

HIT: Rinsing with pure Aloe Vera Juice, the kind you have to keep refrigerated!
This stuff helps seal in all that goodness from Megatek and Sitranillah and keeps my high porosity hair super moisturized, soft and silky for days!

MISS: Eqss claiming Megatek is "Not Intended for Human Use." Boy, bye. I'm not finna pay $60 for a single bottle of Ovation Cell Therapy which is the exact same formulation as Megatek so quit playing. This human intends to continuing using Megatek.

MISS: Dumping a cup of freezing Aloe Vera Juice over my head.
Ya'll, it's like doing the "Ice Bucket Challenge"every time I DC my hair. #thethingswedoforhealthyhair

When I used to do ACV rinses, I would place the container in a large bowl and let hot water from the sink run over it for a bit. Then, I would turn the water off and let it sit in the bowl warming up while I did other hair stuff. This kept me from breaking a hip by writhing and wiggling from a cold application of ACV. :yep:

Miss:

-As I Am Twist Out Cream...leaves a sticky residue and little balls of product on my hair. It did not give a lot of curl elongation. However, it *does* work well when I use it to slick my hair into a bun or ponytail. It makes the curls at the front of my head pop.

@JulietWhiskey, does megatek stink?

@MileHighDiva

@mzteaze is right: Megatek smells EXACTLY like Ovation which is to say, a coconut-pineapple scent. I'm sensitive to smells so while I think it smells nice, it also smells strong and I would not like to leave it in my hair, which Eqss says you can do with both Megatek and Ovation for deeper penetration and better results. This is why I use it weekly with heat then rinse it out. Megatek and Ovation even have the same consistency and off-white pearly color.

Eqss is clowning.

When I used to do ACV rinses, I would place the container in a large bowl and let hot water from the sink run over it for a bit. Then, I would turn the water off and let it sit in the bowl warming up while I did other hair stuff. This kept me from breaking a hip by writhing and wiggling from a cold application of ACV. :yep:

I am going to use this method the next time I DC my hair!

Thank you, @PJaye !

:urock:

@MileHighDiva

@mzteaze is right: Megatek smells EXACTLY like Ovation which is to say, a coconut-pineapple scent. I'm sensitive to smells so while I think it smells nice, it also smells strong and I would not like to leave it in my hair, which Eqss says you can do with both Megatek and Ovation for deeper penetration and better results. This is why I use it weekly with heat then rinse it out. Megatek and Ovation even have the same consistency and off-white pearly color.

Eqss is clowning.

I'm say something else that y'all might not like. But, unless there is a specific reason for them to separate out the manufacturing, it's pretty likely the products are made on the same equipment, just bottled in different packaging.

Eqyss was smart because they knew no matter how much time they spent explaining that the products were safe for human use, some people just couldn't wrap their heads around that fact. So, they specifically set up Ovation to deal with it and passed the cost of new packaging, marketing, etc on to the customer.

I mix my Megatek with extra oils and stuff plus SAA.

I'm say something else that y'all might not like. But, unless there is a specific reason for them to separate out the manufacturing, it's pretty likely the products are made on the same equipment, just bottled in different packaging.

Eqyss was smart because they knew no matter how much time they spent explaining that the products were safe for human use, some people just couldn't wrap their heads around that fact. So, they specifically set up Ovation to deal with it and passed the cost of new packaging, marketing, etc on to the customer.

I mix my Megatek with extra oils and stuff plus SAA.

How do you use it: leave in, rinse out, or DC?

I wonder if folk on the board are stilling using Megatek/Ovation for growth and retention? I still haven't found anything else that comes close to making my hair so strong while encouraging growth/retention.

Back