April 2016: Hits & Misses

This one is better than the repair one. Its creamy, lighter ( in consistency) and worked great. The repair one was good but slightly heavier and I left it on longer. The monoi one though is protein free ( not to me though).
The ingredients look really good. My hair has hated Soultanicals products so far, even the Molasses dc. But I may try this one and the Aqua leave-in.

CurlBox Natural SPOILER ALERT
. . .and Rant. :blah:

MISS

CurlBox Natural only had 4 products.:mad:

Call me greedy or spoiled by the the other Natural boxes but the fact of the matter is they all had 5 products. The Camille Rose CurlBox Natural was EPIC!! It had Almond Jai $16.99, Algae Renew DC $17.99 - $20, Curl Maker $22, as well as Curl Love Moisture Milk and the Coconut Water leave in (which are like $30 together).:notworthy: Even Mane Choice had 5 products including pills, growth oil, a good detangling shampoo and two conditioners, although no styler.

Not only did it just have 4 products but it lacked both a DC and a leave-in conditioner. What the Frac?? I thought Mielle Organics' claim to fame is their DC? At least that's what I gathered from social media. How you gonna do a CurlBox and not rep your best product? o_OHow you gonna do a Natural Box and not have any other conditioner besides a Co-Wash when your brand has both a DC and a Leave-in (no rinse out btw)?? :naughty:smh. At least I got the Avocado Hair Milk which looks interesting but I'm gonna need a lot more moisture than that. Watch me use the Co-wash as a Leave-in.:nuts:

I was also not looking forward to her Hair Oil. It literally has just 3 ingredients, soybean oil, almond oil and peppermint e/o. I've whipped up better oils in my kitchen. Right now I have an awesome collection of oils from Soultanicals, Sweet Nature by Eddie, JAKEALA, Naturelle Grow and now Mane Choice and Hairveda so NO I'm not impressed with the Mint Almond Oil. I should've known a Mielle Organics Box was not gonna be about the type 4 life. :ohwell: These dang pills better work and not break me out!!

I'm still waiting on my Naturally Smitten Dope Deal which has both a conditioner and a moisturizing leave-in detangler all type 4 specific.:eyebrows2:

Last edited:
Aw I hope you get that resolved soon, her customer service is pretty good.
I would think by now that these companies would've mastered the art of effective packaging.
Yeah, I sent her an email with photos. I don't think she's the problem. I think her "help" is. They were responsible for sending me the wrong scent last time. This time the lid was not taped like it usually is.

HUGE HIT !!

Hairveda came through y'all!! I got my package today. So many juicy conditioners. CurlBox may have failed me but Hairveda had my back.

I just couldn't wait till wash day. I tried the Creamy Rinse, Açai Berry Phyto, CoCasta Shikakai Oil and Heavy Whipped Cream. OMG!! Y'all couldn't let me know sooner that I was sleepin' on these products? And y'all call yourselves enablers.:nono2:

Cream Rinse - went on like a lotion, cleansed like co-wash and washed out like an oil rinse.

Açai Berry Phyto - Made my hair feel like silk. I LOVE this stuff!!

CoCasta Shikakai Oil - Smells good; heavy enough to coat my hair but light enough to no weigh it down

Heavy Whipped Cream - Creamier than my last bottle and every bit as good. Yum!

I wish there was a Whipped Clouds and Whipped Gelly that smelled like the Whipped Cream and CoCasta Shikakai Oil.

I also tried the Mielle Organics Co-wash, Oil and Milk on the back 1/3 of my head because thats my 3C section. The products were okay. The oil is better than I thought it would be but I still need a condish before the oil and milk. I guess that was the idea behind the box, to make us go out and buy some Mielle Condish. Oh well, Sally's here I come. They better be worth the trouble and $$. I'll do a formal review once I complete and try the whole collection.

HIT: Wen. Wen. Wen ;)

I was watching a presentation on QVC about 2 weeks ago and decided to follow the suggestion of using only Wen.

I wash with Fig or 613, if I use 613 I follow it up with Fig. I then squeeze water out of my hair, put in a little Fig as a leave in and t-shirt dry. I then put in some Sweet Almond Mint glossing serum and blow dry and flat iron. I am a straight hair natural.....my hair has held up with humidity and my hair has body, not flat, limp or dull. My color is lasting much longer as well, even my edges. I add some glossing serum daily if needed.

Oh I also now use the 613 as a face wash. :)

Last edited:
HIT: Wen. Wen. Wen ;)

I was watching a presentation on QVC about 2 weeks ago and decided to follow the suggestion of using only Wen.

I wash with Fig or 613, if I use 613 I follow it up with Fig. I then squeeze water out of my hair, put in a little Fig as a leave in and t-shirt dry. I then put in some Sweet Almond Mint glossing serum and blow dry and flat iron. I am a straight hair natural.....my hair has held up with humidity and my hair has body, not flat, limp or dull. My color is lasting much longer as well, even my edges. I add some glossing serum daily if needed.

Oh I also now use the 613 as a face wash. :)

@MzRhonda, I'm a Wen girl also!!! Been using Wen since 2009 and Fig has been a staple from the beginning and in the last year I've been on the 613 band wagon. Interesting you use it on your face as I never thought of that. I'm acne prone though and I would be nervous it would clog my pores. I only use Wen to cleanse except for when I am doing a protein treatment and then I will shampoo to clarify about every 4 - 6 weeks.

Big Hit::toocool:
Shea Moisture High Porosity Gel - I used this along with my regular gel (SM Hibiscous & Coconut Gel Souffle) to twist and it left my twist so elongated, shiny, and soft with a light hold. I was so happy with the gel, I went out and purchased the shampoo, mask, and oil.

Hit::clap:
Keracare 1st lather - cleansed my hair and sufficiently removed all of the gunk without stripping my hair.

Miss::swearing:
Keracare Humecto – I’ve used this before and couldn’t remember if I liked it or not, so when I saw the huge tub at Cosmoprof for a low price I was like I should try this again. Well, it goes on great! Detangling with it is awesome. I let it sit with heat for about 30-45 minutes and then rinsed it out. This is where it all went downhill! There is absolutely NO slip when I rinsed this mess out of my hair. My hair felt really weird, I can’t put my finger on it, but it wasn’t good.

I’m going to try it again, but next time I’m going to mix it with Avocado oil, if it still doesn’t work, I’ll use it on my mom’s hair. Her hair normally likes the stuff my hair can’t stand.

HIT

Finally got my Honey's Handmade order from the Camu Camu BOGO Free sale.

MISS

Unfortunately one of my jars of Camu Camu spilled inside the mailer. They both had shrink wrap but I noticed that unlike the previous items that were damn near vacuum sealed, the plastic on these were loose. I swear all my issues with Honey's Handmade revolve around this one product. Last major sale I bought it for the first time and it took 2-3 different shipments before I finally recieved that jar. Then my DS decides to go nosing around in my stash and spills 2/3 of the jar. I tried what was left and loved it so much that I jumped on the BOGO sale. I would've bought more but I have other conditioners I need to use up. Now I finally get my 2 new jars and. . . wop wop wop wop.:crybaby: I'm seriously begining to think that I'm not meant to have this.

HIT

My Dope Deal from CurlBox arrived today and I like what I see. . . and smell :lick: :woot:I've seen Naturally Smitten in Walmart (don't judge me) but the packaging looked beat up and janky so I kept it moving. The jars and bottle I just recieved look nice and clean so that's a plus. They smell like if a gingerbread cookie hooked up with a pumpkin spice sugar cookie similar to Camille Rose Jansyn's Moisture Max or Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Condish. The Tangle Free Pudding is lighter than I expected but looks moisturizing and the Butter is HARD, like raw shea in February hard. But when you rub your fingers over it it turns to an oil à la Jane Carter Solutions Nourish & Shine. I can see me needing to re-up on the other products in this line well before I even make a dent in this butter.

MISS

The cap was missing from the Curl Delight Mist. Luckily nothing spilled or pumped out in the box.

Possible Hit: Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Style Setter!!! Used it for the first time last night after a busted twist-out over the weekend(didn't have enough time to dry before an event so my hair really didn't set and was a fuzzy mess by Sunday). Last night I finger detangled and lightly misted 6 sections with water and used the CRCSS on the ends and roots and braided. By the morning my hair was so moisturized and soft, I can't stop touching it and the definition of the waves/curls are crazy!!! The smell is nice as well.

When I compare to other CR products this is definitely thicker and has a more tacky consistency than the Almond Jai Twisting Butter or the Curlaide Moisture Butter. I've gotten great braid-outs with both of those as well. I will see how my 2nd day hair performs with moisture level and holding the style before I decide.

@MzRhonda, I'm a Wen girl also!!! Been using Wen since 2009 and Fig has been a staple from the beginning and in the last year I've been on the 613 band wagon. Interesting you use it on your face as I never thought of that. I'm acne prone though and I would be nervous it would clog my pores. I only use Wen to cleanse except for when I am doing a protein treatment and then I will shampoo to clarify about every 4 - 6 weeks.
I have been a Wen girl just as long or longer and had been using other products (stylers, moisturizers etc etc in addition to Wen) but I am liking this change....saves money too ;)

No problem thus far with using it as a face wash.....I never use soap on my face anyway.

Possible Hit: Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Style Setter!!! Used it for the first time last night after a busted twist-out over the weekend(didn't have enough time to dry before an event so my hair really didn't set and was a fuzzy mess by Sunday). Last night I finger detangled and lightly misted 6 sections with water and used the CRCSS on the ends and roots and braided. By the morning my hair was so moisturized and soft, I can't stop touching it and the definition of the waves/curls are crazy!!! The smell is nice as well.

When I compare to other CR products this is definitely thicker and has a more tacky consistency than the Almond Jai Twisting Butter or the Curlaide Moisture Butter. I've gotten great braid-outs with both of those as well. I will see how my 2nd day hair performs with moisture level and holding the style before I decide.

I feel that it definitely has more hold than CR's other butters (except the original Aloe Whipped Butter Gel...RIP). It is NICE. When I get through all my stylers, I plan on picking this one up again.

I feel that it definitely has more hold than CR's other butters (except the original Aloe Whipped Butter Gel...RIP). It is NICE. When I get through all my stylers, I plan on picking this one up again.

So far I like everything I've gotten in the line. The moisture milk is a huge hit and I use it on my 18 - month old son as well. It keeps his little curly top from getting so dry. The other thing I like about the coconut style setter is the elongation it gave to my braidout!

HIT

Finally got my Honey's Handmade order from the Camu Camu BOGO Free sale.

MISS

Unfortunately one of my jars of Camu Camu spilled inside the mailer. They both had shrink wrap but I noticed that unlike the previous items that were damn near vacuum sealed, the plastic on these were loose. I swear all my issues with Honey's Handmade revolve around this one product. Last major sale I bought it for the first time and it took 2-3 different shipments before I finally recieved that jar. Then my DS decides to go nosing around in my stash and spills 2/3 of the jar. I tried what was left and loved it so much that I jumped on the BOGO sale. I would've bought more but I have other conditioners I need to use up. Now I finally get my 2 new jars and. . . wop wop wop wop.:crybaby: I'm seriously begining to think that I'm not meant to have this.
One of the products (peaches & honey pomade) in my birthday box wasn't closed properly. I'm mad cuz from the little bit that I could salvage it seems awesome. This is the first issue I've had from them since I started ordering in February.

Miss

Oyin Boing!---- I used this product for a twist out. While it gave really good definition, it left my hair DRY!!! This product also flaked quite a bit. I think next time, I will use this product with a really good leave in and use the bare minimum amount to see if that makes any difference.

This product was such a let down smh.

Continued Hits:
Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1
I suffer from seborrheic dermatitis and I was *this* close to taking down cornrows I paid money for because of the flaking and itching, when I went into my stash and found the HS, a forgotten oldie but goodie.
It soothed my scalp, tamed my itching and flaking and softened my hair, as well as helping to seal in moisture (it contains mineral oil, but I use clarifying shampoo every 2 or 3 weeks, so I don't have a problem using mineral oil), as well as drawing moisture into my hair, since it has glycerin.

Oyin Juices and Berries
When I have a lot of time, I'll use this as the L in my LOC, or my L,(Hawaiian Silky),C (For some reason, my scalp has been furious at me whenever I put oil on it for the last few months. When I'm oiling my hair I have to be careful not to touch my scalp. That also goes for butters.)
When I don't have time, I'll just spritz my hair with this right quick and KIM, but it also has glycerin, so I feel like it just continually draws moisture into my hair throughout the day-- and if I spritz later in the day with water?? My hair feels soooo moisturized.

Miss

Oyin Boing!---- I used this product for a twist out. While it gave really good definition, it left my hair DRY!!! This product also flaked quite a bit. I think next time, I will use this product with a really good leave in and use the bare minimum amount to see if that makes any difference.

I bought this product when it first came out. I only had about $60 to spend on hair products at the time and I was so pissed I wasted money on that.

Miss

Bought this the other day and it worked out well for me no flakes and no dryness. I was very generous with my leave in and the boing as well and no flakes. I use it with oyin hair dew tho so maybe that's why mines went well?

POSSIBLE MISS

I don't want to dismiss them so soon but I'm not feeling the Mielle Organics second/third day hair. On Monday I did the back 1/3 of my hair using the Detangling Co-Wash, Mint Almond Oil and Avocado Hair Milk. Well the initial impression was good. These products didn't wow me but they weren't terrible either. Today the back of my head feels like an old, dry, rusty Brillo pad. I seriously hope this experience is due to the lack of conditioners in this CurlBox, but as of now I'm not happy. Also the initial fragrance of the Mint Almond Oil was Peppermint Bark or York Peppermint Patty (though there's no chocolate ingredient). Second day hair however smelled like straight toothpaste, thankfully it dissipated.

@NappyKinks
Good review. :up:

Glad to know about the Avocado Milk (won't get that). I purchased the Cowash & the Oil directly from Mielle when she 1st Launched.

I thought the Cowash was decent and the Oil just had a mild (almost non-existent) Minty Scent. Very faint actually.

I wonder since now that it's being "mass produced" did things change?

If so, that is unfortunate.

Even though I've made several Mielle purchases, nothing in this line is a must have for me. In fact, I could actually skip it altogether.

POSSIBLE MISS

I don't want to dismiss them so soon but I'm not feeling the Mielle Organics second/third day hair. On Monday I did the back 1/3 of my hair using the Detangling Co-Wash, Mint Almond Oil and Avocado Hair Milk. Well the initial impression was good. These products didn't wow me but they weren't terrible either. Today the back of my head feels like an old, dry, rusty Brillo pad. I seriously hope this experience is due to the lack of conditioners in this CurlBox, but as of now I'm not happy. Also the initial fragrance of the Mint Almond Oil was Peppermint Bark or York Peppermint Patty (though there's no chocolate ingredient). Second day hair however smelled like straight toothpaste, thankfully it dissipated.
That Avocado hair milk felt good going on, but 2 hours later my hair was as dry as brillo. I use it for body lotion with extra glycerin added.

DEFINITE HIT - Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Style Setter!!!! Day two my hair was moisturized and still defined without having to retwist or rebraid! I will be ordering 2 additional jars ASAP!

Another hit is grapeseed oil, not only does my hair seem to love it but my face does as well!

That Avocado hair milk felt good going on, but 2 hours later my hair was as dry as brillo. I use it for body lotion with extra glycerin added.

@naturalyogini
Whew Lawd I'm so glad I didn't get this.:eek:

I had it in a Sally Cart this weekend and kept debating if I really even wanted any Mielle? :look:

It just isn't something I get overly excited about, but was going to pick up this item and a couple DC'ers.

So Happeh I didn't.:nono:

@NappyKinks
Good review. :up:

Glad to know about the Avocado Milk (won't get that). I purchased the Cowash & the Oil directly from Mielle when she 1st Launched.

I thought the Cowash was decent and the Oil just had a mild (almost non-existent) Minty Scent. Very faint actually.

I wonder since now that it's being "mass produced" did things change?

If so, that is unfortunate.

Even though I've made several Mielle purchases, nothing in this line is a must have for me. In fact, I could actually skip it altogether.

It was reformulated at some point in the last year. I was griping about it late last year. I haven't used any of the new formula stuff yet but I'm kinda dreading it more and more now :ohwell:

It's a shame cause I love the DC and leave in spray.

Back