APL by Dec 2010!!!

Awesome progress ladies! I'm getting the itch to straighten my hair and see how much it's grown since I straightened it back in February (I was shoulder length then). But now it's getting so hot, I'm not sure. Lol. If I don't do it this month, I probably won't do it till September when things start to cool down some. We'll see.

My nape is about 1 1/2 inch away, hopefully I will be APL by September and full APL by december. I'm gonna keep my hair moisturized and off my shoulders and keep deep conditioning at least once per week

Well if you want something that is not strong I strongly recommend Mizani Butter Blends. If you want some texture to your hair plus moisture then go with Mizani Butter Blends.

Thanks for the recommendation Prissy, but the stylist who uses MBB is a definite no no no...the consult did not go well. She didn't think stretching was good and suggested a "halo" relaxer every 5 weeks. She's not putting her hands in my head!

This will be my first challenge. i dont have any pics yet, but once I get my sew-in redone, I am going to texlax and take a photo.

What are you doing for growth
Sew-in with wet and wavy hair so natural left-out hair can blend, only texlax the back portion (knot prevention which causes my hair to break at the same rate as chemical damage.

Reduce heat significantly (instead of everyday which I formerly did I will flat iron 1/month

Oil scalp 2-3 times a week with sulphur from MTG/MT/castor oil/peppermint oil mix

Oil scalp 3-5 days (especially on workout days) with essential oil mix

Workout 3-5 times a week

Eat flax seeds, drink Perfect Food (by Garden of Life from Whole foods) in orange juice with powdered MSM added, and kelp salt daily

Take supplements: Biotin, Silica, and multi-vitamins daily

Take garlic supplements 2-3 days a week.

Wash with shampoos that do not contain sulfates/sulfites

Deep condition with ORS and WhGO and others.

What are you not going to do

texlax my edges/temple area, major cuts (only S&D)

Let stylist comb through my hair or wash it (show up with it already washed, dried and "ret" to go.

Worry what other ppl think about my head as I continue to transition with low heat.

What length are you now?

Shoulder length, but uneven

Awesome progress ladies! I'm getting the itch to straighten my hair and see how much it's grown since I straightened it back in February (I was shoulder length then). But now it's getting so hot, I'm not sure. Lol. If I don't do it this month, I probably won't do it till September when things start to cool down some. We'll see.
am soooooooo THERE!! just want to SEE if I'm on track to make the goal!!
**MUSSST RESIST!!**

This will be my first challenge. i dont have any pics yet, but once I get my sew-in redone, I am going to texlax and take a photo.

Sew-in with wet and wavy hair so natural left-out hair can blend, only texlax the back portion (knot prevention which causes my hair to break at the same rate as chemical damage.

Reduce heat significantly (instead of everyday which I formerly did I will flat iron 1/month

Oil scalp 2-3 times a week with sulphur from MTG/MT/castor oil/peppermint oil mix

Oil scalp 3-5 days (especially on workout days) with essential oil mix

Workout 3-5 times a week

Eat flax seeds, drink Perfect Food (by Garden of Life from Whole foods) in orange juice with powdered MSM added, and kelp salt daily

Take supplements: Biotin, Silica, and multi-vitamins daily

Take garlic supplements 2-3 days a week.

Wash with shampoos that do not contain sulfates/sulfites

Deep condition with ORS and WhGO and others.

texlax my edges/temple area, major cuts (only S&D)

Let stylist comb through my hair or wash it (show up with it already washed, dried and "ret" to go.

Worry what other ppl think about my head as I continue to transition with low heat.

What length are you now?

Shoulder length, but uneven
:grin:
:welcome:
:welcome:

Thank you! I've actually been pretty consistent with this (tweeking it as I learn, though) for the past 1.5-2 months. I will update with a "start pic" as close as I can to June 30th. Hoping for 4 inches by october
(my wedding)
wwwoooowwwww YOU CAN DO IT!!!
we have EVERY confidence you'll be SWANGIN' your hair by then!!!

I am hoping i can make apl by aug/sept. I am 7wks post right now. I dont know when i will texlax again my dermatologist said he will determine that since i was just diagnosed with centrifugal alopecia. I am going back to lacewigs so i will be ps heavy

Thanks for the recommendation Prissy, but the stylist who uses MBB is a definite no no no...the consult did not go well. She didn't think stretching was good and suggested a "halo" relaxer every 5 weeks. She's not putting her hands in my head!

Yikes! Good call Salsa. A stylist like this lady would scare the heck outta me.

hello, i dunno if its been asked here already. but how long does it normally take to reach apl from sl? i am aiming for apl by december but i dont want it to just be wishful thinking. i am currently sl, with layers and my nape is the slowest to grow anywhere...is that normal?

hello, i dunno if its been asked here already. but how long does it normally take to reach apl from sl? i am aiming for apl by december but i dont want it to just be wishful thinking. i am currently sl, with layers and my nape is the slowest to grow anywhere...is that normal?

It varies greatly.

In various threads I've seen people claim 6 months up to 15 months from SL to APL. I think the ones that say 6-7 months were actually a little past SL when they started.

ETA: Here is a SL to APL thread that I read from time to time for inspiration

Last edited:
Yikes! Good call Salsa. A stylist like this lady would scare the heck outta me.

I know girl!! I had to get out of her chair quick!! Yesterday I had a consultation with a stylist who came highly recommended. It went well and I'm scheduled for a touch up on the 17th...at 26 weeks and 1 day post!!

I'd like to join you ladiess. I'm not sure if I can officially join but I'll like to follow along even if only as an unofficial challenger.

Protective styling with braids under wigs, co-washing, moisturize 2x daily

Trim, manipulate hair

What length are you now?
DSCN2129-vi.jpg

What is a halo relaxer?

I haven't posted an update pic in a while, but I just stretched my hair some and my longest layer is 1 inch away from apl.

I was really expecting to be APL in Decmber 2009, but I never made it :cry:

I really need to make it this year, otherwise I don't know what I'll do :( I mean, it's been nearly 2 years of my journey, this is just ridiculous. I am so jealous of Robin from GrowAfroHairLong, she made it from shoulder length to waist length in two years! :wallbash:

15th June :) I think me and Salsarisma are both relaxing at the same time.

Yup! I'm relaxing on the 17th!! However, I may get my hair cut:nono: It has no shape right now and I want to start a soft U Shape. Not sure if I should cut now or after I reach my goal.
Cream, do you think you are APL now? I don't think I am.

Back