APL 2012 Challenge

WOW Ladies!!! Great pics everywhere and I still have 4 pages to go!!!

Not the best pic, but this was my style today. Inspired by a look Pook did a little while ago.

View attachment 149605

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom
Great color and waves @NikkiQ! How did you pin your hair?

Here is my mother's day hairstyle

@Seamonster your hair looks really healthy and thick here!

I flat ironed tonight for no reason at all

View attachment 149663

View attachment 149665
@lamaria211 I think you have passed SL? were you SL before? It seems you have growth compared to before!

^^That's right @lamaria211! Stay positive. You'll be there soon. You look pretty darn close from that picture.

SN: I'm in a funk. I think I need to wash my hair. I have SO much on my mind. Feels like the world is on my shoulders. I hate this.
NikkiQ you are right! Stay positive! :wink2: I hope this rose helps you feel better! :Rose:

No one ever responds or acknowledges anything I post in this challenge. I'm feeling a bit invisible. I don't even know why I bother to continually comment. In fact, remove me from this challenge if I was added. I'll find another challenge somewhere else.
TracieBLovely don't go! Definitely not intentional I just returned from a weekend trip and am still going through all the pages in this thread! Not all the ladies have the time to do this and sometimes neither I, yet I try to jump in and check in when I can.

Give us all a chance we see you and read your posts even though we may not always have the time to respond :yep:

i just got a new laptop! my ex hubby bought it for me for mother's day! bless his heart! i have a tablet and i hate posting on that thing. and my old netbook power cord was not staying in properly to charge my battery, so sometimes i would have to hold it in there. but every time she posted, i commented, so i don't feel bad. i am naturally a lurker/thanker.
LOL @shortdub78! My aunt has a new ipad and she loves that thing! With all the pictures this weekend we passed it around like it was dessert :lol:

I've got an exam tomorrow.... Noooo.... My hair has been suffering because it. Well I'll dc if a want to
Good luck on that exam @TheNDofUO!

There YOU go. :realitycheck: I was counting on you to stick to your guns. I am sorry that Tracie feels the way she does, but IMO you haven't done anything wrong. You are doing a wonderful job, and even though you don't have an answer for each individual post, I feel well supported. Don't let one person's hurt feelings cause all of us to suffer. Please don't leave us hanging. :nono:
@NikkiQ I second @Angela4769 you and @faithVA are doing a great job moderating this thread. @faithVA is right you are going nowhere so please come back ----> BIG SMILE <-----

i forgot to mention that before blow drying i also put heat serum. anyway after s curl it doesnt really revert. it is less straight but actually the same length. i dont want it bone straight anyway.

this is how it turns out :(this is in january or feb.)

View attachment 149735

you can jump around the place to shake the hair qnd make it bigger if you want.
Very nice layers @coolsista-paris! Your hair is nice and full in this picture what heat serum did you put in?

So after many, many failed hairstyle attmepts(including Naptural85's twistout-it just looked rediculous on me ugh) over the past few days I've decided to go with the quckweave wig I made the other day. I going to do a wash and dc when I get back from work today, rebraid my hair and sew it on for the next 5 days.

TracieBLovely I think when you're more active, responses will pick-up...I know that worked for me.
NikkiQ faithVA you two do a great job on here, keep it up!

Livinthevia lol yes, I want the majority of my hair to reach APL before I start persuing BSL (or BSB). I dont like the choppy layeres in my hair at this legnth because it makes styles like braid outs look super awkward and anorexic. I want a more thick, more easily stretched APL by the time im done with these twists w/ extensions in july. Then I'll start to aspire for BSL.

Am I wrong to want to say deuces? Look.:( a thanks is a response for me. It let me know that you've read my ramblings and agree or acknowledge my pov even if you can't help. I keep checking for my thanks.

And thanks all.

i forgot to mention that before blow drying i also put heat serum. anyway after s curl it doesnt really revert. it is less straight but actually the same length. i dont want it bone straight anyway.

this is how it turns out :(this is in january or feb.)

View attachment 149735

you can jump around the place to shake the hair qnd make it bigger if you want.

That's cute. Looks like you could just bump the ends and have a hairy style.

[USER=312225 said:
newnyer[/USER];15938165]Hey boos! Just wanted to stop in & say I MISS YA'LL! I don't think I have even posted in the BSL challenge yet. Lol Feels like I'm cheating &, dare I say it, a tad bald in there. Haha! Okay...I'll mosey on outta here...but it's so great seeing the progress!
Smooches.

*me and u must neva part....*

You can come show your hair over here every now and then :yep:

It's springtime. I think everyone is really ready to see hair and the more the better.

newnyer said:
Hey boos! Just wanted to stop in & say I MISS YA'LL! I don't think I have even posted in the BSL challenge yet. Lol Feels like I'm cheating &, dare I say it, a tad bald in there. Haha! Okay...I'll mosey on outta here...but it's so great seeing the progress!
Smooches.

*me and u must neva part....*

Is that you all tone and buffed in the avitar? I might need some pointers.

Thanks ladies for the acknowledgements. This is a good thread. It's just one of those threads that feel like home :yep: Just me and my posse :look:

And I place where I can act foolish :lol:

shortdub78 said:
i have to remember that protein is not my friend. my hair feels a little different since i did a protein treatment last week. i am just going to give all of my protein products to my mother.

I just realized that I have been ignoring my hair protein needs. My hair was so soft that it would break when I touched it. I am going to do a the aphogee two minutes treatment (I usually leave it on for 30 minutes) each time I wash for the next month. I think that must be the reason why I lost so much hair recently.

I think I (we) can be so busy concentrating on making the hair manageable and soft that we forget that we can go too far.

WOW! @esi.adokowa! How long did it take you to do this style? Plus what is curled at the end of your hair with the bobby pins?

livinthevida, it took me about 4 hours to twist my hair.
not too bad. i curled the ends with straws.
they lasted for almost a month!

to all my beautiful apl ladies:
thanks for all the support and well-wishes that y'all have provided.
could not have gotten my hair to this point without you! :grin:
i finished my extension braids, so i'll post a picture tomorrow when my face is more prepared for the day haha.

love you guys! :shocked::blush::yep:

Thanks ladies for the acknowledgements. This is a good thread. It's just one of those threads that feel like home :yep: Just me and my posse :look:

And I place where I can act foolish :lol:
:rofl: @faithVA! LOL! When you said me and my posse that just made me think of the Party Rock Anthem commercial :lol: Ladies check it out here and you will be sure to dance!

@livinthevida, it took me about 4 hours to twist my hair.
not too bad. i curled the ends with straws.
they lasted for almost a month!

to all my beautiful apl ladies:
thanks for all the support and well-wishes that y'all have provided.
could not have gotten my hair to this point without you! :grin:
i finished my extension braids, so i'll post a picture tomorrow when my face is more prepared for the day haha.

love you guys! :shocked::blush::yep:
Thanks @esi.adokowa we think you are beautiful too :grouphug:

Great idea on the ends! when you say straw do you mean like plastic straws for drinking? if yes were they cut down to size?

Attachments

• meandmyposse!PartyRockAnthem!.JPG
    meandmyposse!PartyRockAnthem!.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 18
Ugh is it bad that I'm contemplating texlaxing my hair? I've been natural a little over a year & 2 months and I'm just not seeing the progress that I would like with my natural hair. All I've seen this past year was breakage, knots, tangles etc. Maybe I'm just in a rut but I seriously feel like putting a Just For Me Texture softner in. I used one before with no problem and I liked it. Ugh...decisions

faithVA thanks chica! I feel like I need to come in here from time to time to check on my ladies!
diadall I told ya'll before about tryin' to kick me out! Lol. I was having separation anxiety. ;)
Phaer- lol. Girl no that's not me- got that pic from the body inspiration thread here...but I plan to be her body double by the end of the summer. LOL. She has a site where she lays out her workout plan though.

Last edited:
livinthevida said:
Thanks @esi.adokowa we think you are beautiful too :grouphug:

Great idea on the ends! when you say straw do you mean like plastic straws for drinking? if yes were they cut down to size?

livinthevida, yes I used those little white and red striped ones. Old school from the dollar store haha. I cut each straw in six.

I just realized that I have been ignoring my hair protein needs. My hair was so soft that it would break when I touched it. I am going to do a the aphogee two minutes treatment (I usually leave it on for 30 minutes) each time I wash for the next month. I think that must be the reason why I lost so much hair recently.

I think I (we) can be so busy concentrating on making the hair manageable and soft that we forget that we can go too far.

I experienced soft, mushy hair for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and recognized what it was (thanks to LHCF). I gave myself a protein treatment and was so excited that it actually worked! I was a little discouraged when I read to let your hair tell you what it needs. I was like wtheck does that mean? I'm beginning to understand. Woo hoo!

Thanks to you all for this free education :yawn:

I was wondering about my length. I guess I qualify in the back, but not all the strands in front actually reach my shoulder.....so what does that make me? Is it SL, just not full and healthy? Or do I go by where my shortest strands fall? Help!

Attachments

• Back view of me 2.jpg
    Back view of me 2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Me at Daniels baby shower.jpg
    Me at Daniels baby shower.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 20
@NikkiQ and all the ladies no worries we'll reach APL this year! When we do we'll be whipping our hair :rocker: right to BSL!

Nice color @lexxi! These all look like your natural hair! How do you wear your hair under the weave?

Braided down with fake $1 braid hair which worked out great because it gave me access to my scalp but still gave support and my braid pattern is beehive perimeter with straight back middle . I've been using that braid pattern for awhile now its the most natural for me .

KaramelKutie803 said:
Ugh is it bad that I'm contemplating texlaxing my hair? I've been natural a little over a year & 2 months and I'm just not seeing the progress that I would like with my natural hair. All I've seen this past year was breakage, knots, tangles etc. Maybe I'm just in a rut but I seriously feel like putting a Just For Me Texture softner in. I used one before with no problem and I liked it. Ugh...decisions

Ultimately you have to do what makes you happy, but I think you should consider hiding your hair before you make a decision.

I knew when I went natural that I would be impatient to see growth, discouraged when my curls did not come out like someone else's and totally clueless about what to do with it and that I had to give myself time to learn.
I have given myself three years to get the lenght I want and to learn to cope with it. In the meanwhile I am dedicated to keeping it braided (with appropriate rest period, not trying to have my hairline start at my ears) and experimenting with products and style knowing that everything won't work for me

The fact that I have given myself such a long time to reach my goals means I don't freak out for every setback.

I think if you do that your hair will surprise you at how 'good' it can be.

newnyer said:
faithVA thanks chica! I feel like I need to come in here from time to time to check on my ladies!
diadall I told ya'll before about tryin' to kick me out! Lol. I was having separation anxiety. ;)
Phaer- lol. Girl no that's not me- got that pic from the body inspiration thread here...but I plan to be her body double by the end of the summer. LOL. She has a site where she lays out her workout plan though.

What is the site? I might need to get on that workout plan, as long as I don't have to do push ups, can't do one to save my life (and I was army rotc for three years). Lol

Angela4769 said:
I experienced soft, mushy hair for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and recognized what it was (thanks to LHCF). I gave myself a protein treatment and was so excited that it actually worked! I was a little discouraged when I read to let your hair tell you what it needs. I was like wtheck does that mean? I'm beginning to understand. Woo hoo!

Thanks to you all for this free education :yawn:

Whoo hoo!! Give us a couple of years and sisters with gorgeous hair (both relaxed and natural) will take over! Lol. I can't wait to start whipping my hair.

I was wondering about my length. I guess I qualify in the back, but not all the strands in front actually reach my shoulder.....so what does that make me? Is it SL, just not full and healthy? Or do I go by where my shortest strands fall? Help!

Angela4769 most ladies go according to where the hair hits in the back since hair in the front usually grows a bit slower than the rest. It looks like you're a nice and full SL. Do you have a pic where you're wearing a lighter shirt?

KaramelKutie803 I know the feeling. I've been natural for a decade and I still get the urge every so often to texlax. I usually put my hair away when I feel like that though and the feeling passes. Ultimately you must do what you feel is best for your hair. As to the knots and tangles...I know that for me keeping my hair in stretched state has minimized these problems.

Angela4769 said:

I think you might be collar bone lenght... which is longer than sl. I don't think I would have the patience to wait for the shortest strands to reach any point to claim that lenght. I generally count the majority of the back. Some might say not to count the back, but I know I need to keep myself motivated to continue on my hhj.

KaramelKutie803 what's your reggie like? Let's figure out if there's another solution before texlaxing.

Back