APL 2012 Challenge

Just wanted to share my BSL length check with you all...this pic also tracks the growth I've gotten since using MN...still chasing APL.

april25.jpg

I hope you ladies are doing well =) I'm so busy with studies but I lurk quite a lot :look:

I got diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis yesterday, sort of explains why my hair at the nape area never really goes beyond my shoulders but I've made a lot of improvements in the past three months with getting my hair inches past my shoulders, still aiming for APL, but want to get this dermatitis out of the way and regrow some of my thin patches. I hope this won't be much of a setback like it has been in the past.

I hope you ladies are doing well =) I'm so busy with studies but I lurk quite a lot :look:

I got diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis yesterday, sort of explains why my hair at the nape area never really goes beyond my shoulders but I've made a lot of improvements in the past three months with getting my hair inches past my shoulders, still aiming for APL, but want to get this dermatitis out of the way and regrow some of my thin patches. I hope this won't be much of a setback like it has been in the past.

just make sure you keep your scalp clean. suave has a new line for dry, itchy scalp. use your shampoo that was prescribed by your doctor and make sure you drink plenty of water. how often do you wash your hair now? stay away from cowashing, you don't need the buildup on your scalp. you can do coconut oil and tea tree hot oil treatments.

just make sure you keep your scalp clean. suave has a new line for dry, itchy scalp. use your shampoo that was prescribed by your doctor and make sure you drink plenty of water. how often do you wash your hair now? stay away from cowashing, you don't need the buildup on your scalp. you can do coconut oil and tea tree hot oil treatments.

I wash weekly but I've been told to wash twice a week with Nizoral for a few weeks and then only once a week. I'll definitely stay away from cowashing and conditioners on my scalp is a no no, I've been told to just stick to sealing my hair with butters. I'll look into the Suave line and I'll definitely do some coconut oil and tea tree oil treatments instead of my usual castor oil, thank you =)

Imani :congrats:

So I finally got my hair straightened and trimmed. I'm probably not APL by LHCF standards but my bottom layer is touching so I'm going to go ahead and celebrate:lol::drunk: I wasn't really feeling my hair, it was really straight and felt kinda weighed down, probably the conditioner that was used was too heavy (I have fine strands).

I retained just under 6 inches in the back b/t the first two pics. And this past year, just under 4. I was still transitioning in the first pic, my back layers were natural but still relaxer left in the top. Im natural in all the other pics

more pics in second post

1st three pics- April 2010, April 2011, April 2012
Last two pics-April 2012-Curls leaving the salon and side pic

@KumakoXsd I second @shortdub78!

Sorry to hear about your seborrheic dermatitis yet please do try to stay away from any prescribed steroids and/or antibiotics to treat it. I am all about alternative medicine and highly recommend Tea Tree Oil. I had an allergic reaction to jojoba oil last year and the ONLY THING that saved me from this allergy was Tea Tree Oil. My good buddy in Texas recommended Tea Tree Oil for any skin inflammation and within 3 days my scalp was healing again :yep:

Oh! I miss to add this article here at CNN Health, jump to the Alternative Medicine section to read on Tee Tree Oil

Last edited:
@lindsaywhat MN 2x/day morning and night massaged applied directly to the scalp. I usually do some type of oil on the hair (especially the ends) and/or scalp before or after because I heard it can be drying. (apricot or grapeseed oil currently)

I started on March 20th. The only bad thing is I need a trim and I am not looking forward to it. :nono:

Last edited:
jprayze said:
lindsaywhat MN 2x/day morning and night massaged applied directly to the scalp. I usually do some type of oil on the hair (especially the ends) and/or scalp before or after because I heard it can be drying. (apricot or grapeseed oil currently)

stipid question but What is MN ? lol

Seamonster I used the Paint application on my PC and it was kind of a pain but they have a new iPhone app that does the same thing (Pic Stitch).

I feel like I'm close to APL but not quite...and one side seems slightly longer?

jprayze
im definatley gonna do this cuz ive been using JBCO, MN and sulfur mix but its really diluted. i think id have more results if the MN was pure. great growth girl

@KumakoXsd I second @shortdub78!

Sorry to hear about your seborrheic dermatitis yet please do try to stay away from any prescribed steroids and/or antibiotics to treat it. I am all about alternative medicine and highly recommend Tea Tree Oil. I had an allergic reaction to jojoba oil last year and the ONLY THING that saved me from this allergy was Tea Tree Oil. My good buddy in Texas recommended Tea Tree Oil for any skin inflammation and within 3 days my scalp was healing again :yep:

Oh! I miss to add this article here at CNN Health, jump to the Alternative Medicine section to read on Tee Tree Oil

Thank you for your kindness! I'm really going to consider tea tree oil, it's always worked quite well for me. This is a useful resource, I'll bookmark it, thank you.

Your pictures look great!! I am currently transitioning and only 21 weeks post. Your texture seems to be similar to mine so good to see what can come :-). How often do you get your hair straightened and how are you wearing your hair regularly? TIA

Shelew Thanks!

If you are only 21 wks post, its very common to mistake what your texture is, so you may realize its something different later. Usually it seems like most think their texture is tighter than it really ends up being. I knew I was 4b, but I thought I had absolutely no curl pattern (what some refer to as 4c), but I do actually have some visible coils

I've been straightening about 4 times a year. I have fine strands that split and fray easily and straightening is the only way I know to get a thorough trim. Plus, I like to see how long my hair is and show off/be flossy on occasion:look::lol: I think I could probably get away with straightening possibly once a month, and definitely every other month.

I usually wear my hair stretched out in twists (twist out) and pulled back in a ponytail/puff like the last pic or bun. I have never let all of my hair shrink completely or attempt a "wash and go" the entire time I have been natural-I am afraid of the tangles/aftermath and just doesn't seem practical w/my hair texture. But I may try it this summer for experimentation (maybe for a Badu concert or something :lol::drunk:). My hair is always stretched in twists or plaits. Its often damp when I take them down either unintentionally or to get some volume, but its never been just allowed to shrink wet to dry without attempting to get some amount of stretching.

Good luck w/your transition! I actually had the best growth/retention when I was transitioning bc I didn't really have splits and SSKs. I would just gradually clip the relaxed ends whenever I felt like it.

Attachments

• iPhone app to rotate pics.jpg
    iPhone app to rotate pics.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 44
NikkiQ said:
May?? Holy crap! I wish I could leave mine in for that long.

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

Yea im trying to only take them down once a month now I wash and DC on them and keep them hidden under a wig 100% of the time until I hit apl

Imani...Awesome! Thanks for sharing 2010-present pics...give me much hope. I suffer from shrinkage as well and I haven't gotten this banding technique down. When I come out of these braids, I plan to work on stretching my hair and experimenting with new styles.

I have not washed my hair in two weeks. Oh dear! I cannot wait for tomorrow to wash my hair and roller set. In this last week, my hair experienced quite a bit of shedding and breakage. I need to do a super DC. Before my HHJ, I washed every two weeks when I wore my hair loose and 3 months without washing when in braids. :blush:

Now my hair is such a diva!

picture.php

Bun for the week!

jprayze Amazing progress!!! WOW, keep it up

LoveArianna - Great pin curl set! Mine always flip up, need to get my technique fine tuned :lol:

Imani thanks for the progress pics, really inspiring!

P.S I picked up my steamer yesterday, im in love with the thing! Hair is super duper soft with all this moisture I wonder if I have to up my protein :perplexed

I've decided to try a low-mani, hide-my-hair routine, so I ordered me a La Jay wig from Amazon.

My regimen will be something like:

- Steam twice a week
- Comb hair weekly on a wash/steam day
- GHE nightly
- Keep hair in Celie braids
- Throw half wig over Celie braids when I leave the house

I'm also taking these Caribbean Hair Grow pills and got myself a progress shirt from Hairlista, so I'll be able to track how much growth I get from taking them.

Hopefully in a few weeks, I'll be able to come in here and say something like: "OMG, I'm scared, guys! My hair is growing way too fast!" :lachen:

by the way some of you spoke about this heat cap .i have the one on the pic i just bought last week. i used to use this years Before and forgot about how i liked it.it takes body heat Well.when Im lazy to sit under the dryer i use this cap and do my housecleaning.
its just like those aluminium covers rescuers put on people after accidents to keep your body warm.

i like the cap.

View attachment 146887

Ooooh, this would be good for GHE/baggying! I'm gonna see if there are any on Amazon...

I straightened my hair the other day and it looks like I'm finally full APL :yay: I wont claim it until my next touch-up (I will post pics then). I'm so happy...BSL here I come :cool:

Back