APL 2012 Challenge

livinthevida said:
Ladies 1 more day!!! and I post my 90 Day Before and After results of how my thinning hair has improved!!! I am impressed with the 60 Day results posted on March 28 and am sure to be just as happy with 90 Day results!!! :grin:

Organic Coconut Oil (OCO) is AMMMUUUAAAAHZZZIIIIIIINGGG! What has worked best for me is how little I have used since January 2012. I only slather on my deep conditioning on Sundays yet with OCO I apply very little from ear to ends each evening. I will also post a look inside my jar of how much is left. I think there is still half a jar in there!

Ladies in case anyone missed it here is the link where I purchased on Amazon there are HUNDREDS of reviews with high ratings. It works! :yep:

Are you using other moisturizer on your hair or just oco? Are u using it on ur scalp? Tia

I believe I will make APL by June. But suddenly it doesn't seem so exciting. Maybe I should stay out of the MBL and longer threads for awhile.

My hair is annoying me now. I want to cut it. The ends are split and I need a deep trim. I am trying to hold out till I reach APL but now the ends are tangling and causing breakage. What to do? :(

So I didnt like the way my hair felt after sitting with the Hemecta-sil for 3+ hrs so I decided to rinse it out and slather on some Kenra MC now im under my heating cap where I plan on sraying for at least 45 mins

I want to cut sometimes too, but then I think of why and try to address that issue rather than giving on to what will be a reoccuring thing. Why are your ends tangled? I had a lot of breakage from trying, all too forcefully, to remove shed hair. What do you think is causing yours?

Lurkee said:
My hair is annoying me now. I want to cut it. The ends are split and I need a deep trim. I am trying to hold out till I reach APL but now the ends are tangling and causing breakage. What to do? :(

Sorry you are having troubles have u tried doing a lite dusting?

I knew it would be wash day so I oiled my scalp with castor oil last night and wore a twist out today. It actually felt soft and moisturized for a while. Thought about doing a prepoo but was too lazy. I shampooed with Elasta Shampoo. And now doing a 2 hr henna of just my roots. I had it left over in the freezer so figured I would touch up. I hate doing henna :lol: It takes too long and I just won't my hair to be done. But ohwell. I dislike the gray in the front more. :yep:

After I rinse out this henna will DC with Shea Moisture Yucca. Then use the SM Yucca leave-in. Think I will use something with some glycerin to try to hold in the moisture. And if its not too late :look: I will twist it up somehow? with some gel.

Wash days are still a little long. But at least I have a regi to stick to for now. Hopefully it will pay off by the end of the summer.

I want to cut sometimes too, but then I think of why and try to address that issue rather than giving on to what will be a reoccuring thing. Why are your ends tangled? I had a lot of breakage from trying, all too forcefully, to remove shed hair. What do you think is causing yours?

Blairx0 I am not sure what the issue is. My hair is breaking a lot. The ends are a mess too.

Sorry you are having troubles have u tried doing a lite dusting?

lamaria211 I wanted to dust but I forgot how I usually do it. My hair is not all one length so I am not sure how to evenly dust. I think a 0.5" trim will make a lot of difference.

Ladies I just couldn't wait :nervous2: I went ahead and picked up the Evolve Conditioning Cap at Sally Beauty and wore it through my workout this evening! WOW it gets hot under here :lol: I am so ready for my cool rinse!

The Evolve Conditioning Cap is pretty big and does well for all of this hair. I decided with this being the first try I massaged a little Organic Coconut Oil (OCO) on my scalp, put the cap on, and worked through a lot of sweat. I thought the metallic might come off like glitter, streak down silver as I sweat, or make noise like aluminum foil, yet none of that happened. It helps contain the heat well and after I turned it inside out it rinses easily. I just hung it in the shower to air dry over night.

Kudos to NaturalfienD and all the ladies who recommended using a heating cap. I am hooked!

Plus I picked up a new Denman Brush with more bristles as I feel my hair becoming thicker. Definitely time to upgrade my brush. This one is Denman Brush Model D4 with 9 Rows. A few pics too:

Attachments

• SallyBeauty_EvolveConditioningCap_pic1.jpg
    SallyBeauty_EvolveConditioningCap_pic1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 19
  • SallyBeauty_EvolveConditioningCap_pic2.jpg
    SallyBeauty_EvolveConditioningCap_pic2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 22
  • MyNewDenman_ModelD4_9Rows!.jpg
    MyNewDenman_ModelD4_9Rows!.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 23
Lurkee said:
Blairx0 I am not sure what the issue is. My hair is breaking a lot. The ends are a mess too.

Is your hair balanced using products that are working well for you? I am sorry you're struggling. I would definitently say dust if you think it will stop further splits, but unless you correct the root of the problem you may end up back here. I'm natural and find doubling mositurizing my ends and sealing is the only thing keeping the alive. Even under the wig I still had breakage until I made adjustments. And while I doubt there is any singular cure it had helped?

I need a heck of a moisturizer that leaves hair with full shine and health. I took my braids out at 5 weeks. I have a to do head shots for an organization now that I am the incoming president and I didn't want braids.

Anyway, I wore my hair down yesterday...cotton ball. I rolled it last night and took them out and finger styled. Walked from the garage to the office...cotton ball.

Now I am going to just wear my hair in a bun or something has to give. People are looking at me like I am cray cray with this...cotton ball.
Congratulations Presidente diadall! nothing wrong with a cotton ball it makes it easy for everyone to say you've officially arrived :grin:

livinthevida It's pre-mixed henna including other ingredients. Here is the information from the Lush site http://www.lushusa.com/Caca-Noir-Mama/00683,en_US,pd.html?start=4&cgid=henna-hair-dyes I usually use my henna that I have to mix every other week and I'll keep the same schedule with the Lush henna.
Thanx longhairdreaming!

Are these like a pack of bars (how many?) or is it just a single block? the website says it is a "henna block" ...sorry for soooo many questions yet this seems easier to use than a henna mix. Do you use these like you would a bar of soap?

Are you using other moisturizer on your hair or just oco? Are u using it on ur scalp? Tia
lamaria211 this may sound corny :lol: yet I still keep with my reggie of OCO evenings and deep conditioning once a week. I use nothing else on my hair except rollers and a headband. Do you think I should start to use an added moisturizer? I like my results so far and try to keep it simple day to day.

Yes! I do like applying the OCO to my scalp (just a little on the fingertips) then massaging in circles. Easy to do and takes only a few minutes :yep: I think the massaging is also helping improve the thickness of my hair!

I just upgraded my brush today to 9 Rows!

@Lurkee how deep a trim do you think you need? do you know what may have caused the ends to break?

I agree with @Blairx0 above if you definitely need a trim then snip away...yet it's best to try and see what could have caused the breakage? I remember hearing the ladies here trying out the baggie method to help stop breakage this may help. I've also read and seen great natural hair YouTubers mention the ends are the oldest part of our hair this is why I apply OCO from ears to end each evening (so far so good)!

Here's a quick website that mentions the age of our ends and how to protect them with simple ideas Protecting Your Ends - I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Wore my first braid out in a year! Felt pretty great!

image-3793238716.jpg

image-917317605.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-2726149986.jpg
    image-2726149986.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 25
Thanx @longhairdreaming!

Are these like a pack of bars (how many?) or is it just a single block? the website says it is a "henna block" ...sorry for soooo many questions yet this seems easier to use than a henna mix. Do you use these like you would a bar of soap?

livinthevida no problem. It comes as one block with six sub-blocks or bars. You can break it up to use however much you need for your length and thickness of hair. The directions are to grate or chop up the bar/block pieces and pour hot water over them. Let it steep and apply to your hair. I didn't do that. I just broke off three whole bars, put them in a microwave safe bowl and poured hot water on them. I then discovered the water wasn't hot enough so I nuked it for like 30sec :look:. After it came out i just mashed it with a plastic fork(it was very easy to do) the stired it, adding more water till became a yogurt consistency. This was the easiest mix ever! I didn't let the dye develop like I normally do with my henna mix. I just put it on my hair immediately, covered with a plastic cap and left it on for 4 almost 5hours. The next time I'll let it air dry instead of covering it with a plastic cap 'cause I'm interested in the dark blue-black color that the caca noir mama is supposed to give when exposed to the air.

livinthevida said:
Great curls @EasypeaZee! What did you apply to your hair for the curls and shine?

Thanks!! I used ntm silk leave in. This stuff is pretty awesome. However, I only used it after I unbraided this morning so idk lol as for the curls I just braided my hair slightly damp and rolled them on some perm rods

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
I am so proud of me... I have begain PSing. I really had an itch to flat iron but am trying not to until June HYH reveal... so when the baby laid down for her nap I grabbed a bag of hair and started braiding as fast as I could before I could back out of it. I still have a lot to do but I am at least 1/4 way through. Hopefully by Sunday I'll have my whole head done.

I cowashed hair added coconut oil and blow dryed. Then I flat ironed lightly and rolled hair with hair ties. I hope ot gives me a Tracee Ellis Ross look tomorrow.

Hey Ladies!

Just checking in. I'm finally taking these braids out this weekend. Looks like I got a lot of growth; we'll see if I finally made APL.

I'm on a HYH too so I'll post my length check then wear my hair cornrowed under my wig for a few weeks.

i really like this Suave Almond and Shea Butter! my hair feels soft so far. i got it in my hair now and need to hop back in the shower to rinse it out. my hair doesn't feel weighed down either. i feel like leaving it in and letting my hair air dry to help combat the dryness from air drying. i'm too lazy to roller set my hair tonight.

livinthevida said:
lamaria211 this may sound corny :lol: yet I still keep with my reggie of OCO evenings and deep conditioning once a week. I use nothing else on my hair except rollers and a headband. Do you think I should start to use an added moisturizer? I like my results so far and try to keep it simple day to day.

Yes! I do like applying the OCO to my scalp (just a little on the fingertips) then massaging in circles. Easy to do and takes only a few minutes :yep: I think the massaging is also helping improve the thickness of my hair!

I just upgraded my brush today to 9 Rows!

Continue to do what works for you if u dont have any problems using OCO then ride it till the wheels fall off! Im glad ur having good results with using it alone I have to add my to DCs or use it as a sealant or my hair is straight cheetos. Lol xtra crunchy

No you're not being petty. That was just downright rude and as you said, unprofessional. I would have had to say something to her. Sorry this happend to you

This is off topic, but shesheshe22, your signature is cracking me up...lol wth?

Okay, I'm sorry, didn't mean to interrupt...

Congratulations tiffjust2002! You are very very close to APL :)

What is your current hair regimen?

I wash once a week with a variety of shampoos but I like Wisely Made, Ouidad those are my favorites then I deep condition after every wash with Aussie Moist 3 min miracle. I leave it on for about 20-30 min with a plastic cap on. I finger detangle before I wash the conditioner out. Once or maybe twice a week I co-wash with Suave Almond Shea Butter. I PS 90% of the time in buns or updo's. I use Giovanni Direct Leave In or Original Sprout Leave in Condish and a variety of creams for styling I like Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Blended Beauty Curl Styling Butter, Miss Jesse Curling Pudding, and and then seal with Coconut Oil.

Back