APL 2012 Challenge

livinthevida said:
@LoveArianna have you found a hooded drier that works well? any recommendations by chance? :drunk:

I roller set every evening and having let my hair air-dry since January 2012. Sometimes I do leave my foam rollers in overnite thanks to a satin pillowcase. All easy to do and easy to sleep in but I wonder if I could speed up my drying time with a hooded drier? I haven't used a blow dryer or flat iron for years now so a drier just might work if I use it on a low cool setting!

I haven't bought mines yet but I was gonna try one of the conair ones from Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Nothing too much to add. I have been deep conditioning with some AO gpb mixed with some oils for about 2 hours under a few plastic caps.

I hope the protein helps with the shedding but the garlic pills have yet to greatly reduce the problem after 2-3 weeks of usage and I hated tea rinses. Sigh even if it doesn't every DC is a little closer to APL and overall health. Guess I will stick with the garlic and patience.

Last edited:
WOW! First time seeing BodyRock and the energy on this site is INSANE! and ITS FREE too :grin:

If you go on Youtube and search for Zuzkalight, you'll find some nice workouts there too, she's the previous host that was on bodyrock but she has her own channel now.

@Khaiya have you tried taking down your hair under running water when in the bathe or shower?

When I started to transition between December 2011 to January 2012 from leave-in conditioners, hair gels, hair spray, shampoos, and so much more! my scalp was sore right behind my ears on both sides. I thought I'd have soreness at the top of my head where it was thinning yet no way. It was right behind my ears. When I started to transition I rinsed my hair using warm water and could feel my hair become softer. I noticed real hair growth and finally started a hair regimen.

Today I only do cool rinses weekdays and a warm rinse after deep conditioning on Sundays :)

I don't usually have a tender head, just cornrows always seem to be too tight in some spots, if i do twists or buns i have no issue. Then if i do the cornrows too loose they fuzz up easily and don't look as neat. Guess cornrows are just not my thing.

Ok, i don't remember who it was, but one of you lovely ladies posted a vid with a lady making a bun with 4 twists, i decided to try it and i looooooved it! It is now my new favorite style, and it looks good enough for formal events i think! So here are a few pics for you all.

DSC04569.jpg

DSC04565.jpg

And a bigger one in case you can't see the details
DSC04567.jpg

I gotta say, i LOVE it!!

P.S. DH brought me some shea butter and my hair is in love! so soft and moisturized! My relaxed hair despised it but it will definitely be a regular part of my natural regimen.

Last edited:
DSC04569.jpg

DSC04565.jpg

DSC04567.jpg

OMG that style is so beautiful! I haven't been on here in a while, would you mind linking to that video again?

Hi ladies, I hope everyone is doing well and progressing nicely with their hair! Real life has been kicking my butt with all this wedding planning I've been doing...8 weeks to go now...

Here's where I am now with my hair length. I've kinda been grazing for a while and I think I can call it now but I don't know. Some angles I'm APL others I'm still grazing. In my mind I've been APL for about a month since every time I do my hair it just seems so LONG. I don't remember my hair ever being this long. My mohawks flop over now :sad: but my puffs are HUGE. I've been wearing my hair in mini twists mostly and twist outs.

e7ea61a3.jpg

4b5d4bd6.jpg

1a26424a.jpg

shortdub78 - Its adding oil to your hair and rinsing it out like a co-wash on shampoo/cleanse days (some ladies do it after a co-wash too)

I shampoo rinse with warm water, apply my favourite oil mix (EVOO, grapeseed + argan oil) let it sit for a few minutes and rinse with warm water then DC for a few hours, rinse with cool water - soft and shiny tresses I promise!! :yep:

Some ladies heat up the oil and apply on dry hair (hot oil treatment) and rinse. I only start doing this when the NG 'pops' week 5 onwards. HTH

Khaiya and PaigeJessica - Loving all that lush hair ladies! Paigejessica if I was that close to APL I would be claiming it!! Congrats :D

Just woke up from a terrible dream. I dreamt a stylist chopped my hair back to necklength an it was a horrible bowl cut. And I wanted to cry. and everyone in the dream was like, what's the big deal it will grow back. argggggggg!!

So glad I was only dreaming, but just to safe I am going stay 1000ft away from ALL hair salons. that's right a restraining order. LOL

PaigeJessica said:
OMG that style is so beautiful! I haven't been on here in a while, would you mind linking to that video again?

Hi ladies, I hope everyone is doing well and progressing nicely with their hair! Real life has been kicking my butt with all this wedding planning I've been doing...8 weeks to go now...

Here's where I am now with my hair length. I've kinda been grazing for a while and I think I can call it now but I don't know. Some angles I'm APL others I'm still grazing. In my mind I've been APL for about a month since every time I do my hair it just seems so LONG. I don't remember my hair ever being this long. My mohawks flop over now :sad: but my puffs are HUGE. I've been wearing my hair in mini twists mostly and twist outs.

I think you are APL but hair appears longer when you turn your neck. A straight on view is best to depicit length.

Wedding went well ladies! The bun however did not. I played around with the hair before leaving to go help with decorations and it looked absolutely horrible and fake. Color was WAY off!! So I pulled out my backup plan-Carmen. My favorite wig like ever! Pinned it up on one side with a blue feather clip and called it a day.

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

I didn't take any. Too busy being Matron of Honor lol. Should have pics from the photographer back in a week or so.

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

Here's my dyed hair.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Attachments

• image-390030615.jpg
    image-390030615.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 34
  • image-1827166010.jpg
    image-1827166010.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 33
:dance7::bounceline::happydance::trophy:PaigeJessica Congratulations! so excited to see an unstretched natural reach APL :yahoo:

Could I bother you for a pictures of your bun, puff, twist out, etc? Just trying to gage what APL looks like natural.

ETA: Wow, I think we had three graduates this week! This is so exciting

Last edited:
If you go on Youtube and search for Zuzkalight, you'll find some nice workouts there too, she's the previous host that was on bodyrock but she has her own channel now.
Thanks Khaiya! Her Channel has a whole lotta energy! I really like her motto here:

"Work Hard in Life, Love, and Fitness" :yep:

I might start a fire my hair is so dry. I been slacking, between school and finals, my hair has suffered. Im sitting under my head cap now, w/Red Pimento Oil on my scalp and Humctress on my hair as pre treatment conditioner before I wash and DC. Hopefully it softens up.

Last edited:
I don't usually have a tender head, just cornrows always seem to be too tight in some spots, if i do twists or buns i have no issue. Then if i do the cornrows too loose they fuzz up easily and don't look as neat. Guess cornrows are just not my thing.

Ok, i don't remember who it was, but one of you lovely ladies posted a vid with a lady making a bun with 4 twists, i decided to try it and i looooooved it! It is now my new favorite style, and it looks good enough for formal events i think! So here are a few pics for you all.

DSC04567.jpg

I gotta say, i LOVE it!!

P.S. DH brought me some shea butter and my hair is in love! so soft and moisturized! My relaxed hair despised it but it will definitely be a regular part of my natural regimen.
Beautiful @Khaiya! :)

Last edited:

e7ea61a3.jpg
Congratulations @PaigeJessica on your Wedding!!! & reaching APL!!! It looks like you are right at the APL line!! :)

:dance7::bounceline::happydance::trophy:PaigeJessica Congratulations! so excited to see an unstretched natural reach APL :yahoo:

Could I bother you for a pictures of your bun, puff, twist out, etc? Just trying to gage what APL looks like natural.

ETA: Wow, I think we had three graduates this week! This is so exciting

Sure!

This is a bun I did a month or so ago:

181fd24b.jpg

This is what curlformers look like fresh out of the rollers:

848d3241.jpg

This is where my stretched out hair tends to fall. Over my eyes and grazing my shoulders:

800cb938.jpg

df6e9e7b.jpg

This is a fro today:

5a8e32e3.jpg

01750b92.jpg

and this is a puff today:

2ee9e397.jpg

01b0cea2.jpg

Congratulations PaigeJessica on your Wedding!!! & reaching APL!!!

livinthevida thank you!

hi to all of you pretty ladies !i did miss you all. wow j left for 8 days and find myself with at least 15 pages too catch up!!! this thread .....wow is always busy and active.
any way i had nice holiday week in london with hubby and kids . my twists look so Bad that ill cornbraid them and put my wig on for work tommorow.

hope you.are.all doing FINE! :-)

:::Multiquote test::: :grin:

Hi Ladies! Even though I work in IT I just can't seem to figure out how to use the "Multiquote" button :lol: can someone pleeeeze give me a simple how to?

I like posting single replies yet sometimes when I haven't checked in within a few days there's so much to catch up on! :yep: Thank Youuuuuuuu!

WOW! First time seeing BodyRock and the energy on this site is INSANE! and ITS FREE too :grin:

@sajjy Callenetics are exercise movements a lot like Yoga and Ballet imagine stretching your arms above your head or reaching to your feet. When doing Callanetics there are longer repetitions for shorter periods of time for each exercise. You really feel the muscle group your working on 'get that burn'! I personally breathe better, sleep better, and have a whole lot more energy thanks to Callenetics :yep:

I tried Elliptical and Cross-Training (rowing, spinning classes) at my local gym yet I was always exhausted getting started and even when I got off the machine! Didn't make sense for me to keep paying a membership and travel to the gym for exhaustion when I could be exhausted at home :lol:

@NikkiQ I think it'll look really cute on you especially if the color is similar to your hair :)

Congratulations @MyAngelEyez~C~U!!!! You have reached APL! and it looks like BSL too!

Sure!

This is a bun I did a month or so ago:

181fd24b.jpg

This is what curlformers look like fresh out of the rollers:

848d3241.jpg

This is where my stretched out hair tends to fall. Over my eyes and grazing my shoulders:

800cb938.jpg

df6e9e7b.jpg

This is a fro today:

5a8e32e3.jpg

01750b92.jpg

and this is a puff today:

2ee9e397.jpg

01b0cea2.jpg

@livinthevida thank you!

So pretty @PaigeJessica!Thanks for sharing all of your natural styles! Except for the curlformers I wear all of these styles most of the time too :)

Back