Can you have a mix of 2&4...
My natural hair is just like hers
and I though I've looked at photos
and read about the hair typing system
I can't figure it out.
Do any other ladies have hair like this
that have transitioned from relaxed?

amellarrieuxpicture1-vi.jpg

It looks like a 3 to me, that's what my hair looks like if I braid it in 2 braids over night.
I'm pretty sure her hair is curly if she just washes and goes. :)

The crown of my head has that texture hair at first I thought it was a 2 because it does not curl at all, is wavy, shiny, would not shrink as much as the other parts of my hair for nothing and straightening this section is a breeze but I dunno I just call it three for so.

Bumping for more replies.

sweetwhispers said:
those pictures don't show her true hair texture. Her hair regimine is greasing and braidouts

Amel is one of my fav. singers. Here is more info on her regimine from the message board on her website.
http://www.blisslife.com/msgboard/viewtopic.php?t=3327

"Anyway, i've been natural as long as you all have seen me, and so i know alot of tricks, and so does madukes.even though our hair types are completely different, we can use many of the same products and procedures and end up with satisfying results.I LOVE Kerastase Nutritive by Loreal Paris ( the tangerine containers) look for the kind for thick and dry hair types. And Karite' leave in conditioner by Rene Furturer for your ends. here are the other specifics:Bain satin #3, Masquintense(for thick hair) and Extrait Nutri-Instant for(dry hair) These are all from the Kerastase line. AND THEY ARE WELL WORTH THE SEARCH! Remember: if you were willing to spend 50 and up on your hair with chemicals, you cannot afford NOT to spend a decent amount on products for a style that is absolutely free and won't hurt your hair!!!! And lots of hair lubrication:erase what you know and embrace visible grease( monoi de tahiti & jojoba oil,too),braiding or twisting every night(protection from breakage) and less washing!!!! i still do my own hair for most shoots, videos and appearances cuz many stylists don"t get "my" natural hair. It's cool:i save a lot of money.And so can you! Ha!"

I think these pictures show her hair more true to her real texture:

Although I think in the first picture her hair is a day or two "old" after washing. 3 hair usually flattens/straightens after a day or two from sleeping on it, bunning it at night etc.

Last edited:
Larrieux also likes to use Pro-Line's coconut oil, which she finds light enough to use in her hair of several different grades. She also uses a pomade that her grandmother used, Clairol's Vitapointe Creme Hairdress and Conditioner.

After washing her hair at night, she oils her scalp, puts a bit of oil on her hair, then sections and braids her hair in two, four, sometimes six braids. She says the process protects and sets the hair. In the morning she takes out the braids and runs her fingers though her hair to create a wavy effect.

"It's as simple as that," she says. "When I go to shoots I tell the stylists not to touch my hair because it is the way I like it."

From
http://www.alluringlooks.com/celeballuremj.html

I love her and her hair she's one of my hair inspirations.... def in the 3 family id say 3b/3c on braid out hair

Last edited:
Well, I'm whatever she is...
it's like a dry 3... or something
I'm just excited I found someone
with the same hair type as me
with long hair... it's my inspiration to
go natural.

I think she's like a 3b....somewhere in the 3's. Her hair is wavy because she braids it to style. Her hair is beautiful. Her hair regimen is on a website but I lost the link.

curlie rae said:
Amel is one of my fav. singers. Here is more info on her regimine from the message board on her website.
http://www.blisslife.com/msgboard/viewtopic.php?t=3327

"Anyway, i've been natural as long as you all have seen me, and so i know alot of tricks, and so does madukes.even though our hair types are completely different, we can use many of the same products and procedures and end up with satisfying results.I LOVE Kerastase Nutritive by Loreal Paris ( the tangerine containers) look for the kind for thick and dry hair types. And Karite' leave in conditioner by Rene Furturer for your ends. here are the other specifics:Bain satin #3, Masquintense(for thick hair) and Extrait Nutri-Instant for(dry hair) These are all from the Kerastase line. AND THEY ARE WELL WORTH THE SEARCH! Remember: if you were willing to spend 50 and up on your hair with chemicals, you cannot afford NOT to spend a decent amount on products for a style that is absolutely free and won't hurt your hair!!!! And lots of hair lubrication:erase what you know and embrace visible grease( monoi de tahiti & jojoba oil,too),braiding or twisting every night(protection from breakage) and less washing!!!! i still do my own hair for most shoots, videos and appearances cuz many stylists don"t get "my" natural hair. It's cool:i save a lot of money.And so can you! Ha!"
I love how she says madukes :).

I don't like what she says about "less washing"...
daily co-washing is very necessary for me
maybe we need to school her on conditioner only washing...

SouthernTease said:

You know I think certain hair types do well with less washing. I know several women with long, thick, healthy hair that wash every two weeks or even less frequently than that. Me, daily condition washing is a must.

SouthernTease said:
I don't think she needs no schooling:lol: . I mean look at her hair....she's definitely doing something right.

I think I know what she means though....the manipulation of washing is too much for some people to do frequently, like me.

I disagree, her routine is fine for her. I do her exact routine, wash once a week/dc and oil and braid at night. If you oil and braid your hair every night you do not need to cowash. I thought I would die without cowashes, now I am completely free of the need to wet my hair everyday.

That child don't need no schooling!!!lol

I remember reading before that she does wash her hair with conditioner and how she doesn't like regular shampoos or something

I absolutely love Amel, she's one of my favorite artists, and obviously her hair is to die for. I saw her once in the Village, her hair looked like a SL braid-out fro. I had to force myself not to walk behind her and stalk her!

Back