Naturally Wavy? TYPE 2

I know I'm definitely not in the 4s... and not a 3c...
if ya'll look at my nape in my fotki photos... you'll
see my hair lies flat down... it's straight... It doesn't curl up at all.

my hair lies flat at the roots too but im more of a 3c....

S53000041-vi.jpg

wet hair while transitioning(wavy stuff is natural, straight stuff relaxed hair, i hardly had any relaxed ends left, but you can see just how much influence it had on my hair texture.)

S53000151-vi.jpg

dry hair while transitiong

453-1.jpg

dry hair natural, still wavy, but its a smaller sized wave.

Last edited:
I've been having trouble with
this hair typing blah blah
I don't like it much. I also
have trouble finding people on
LHCF with hair like mines.

My hair is naturally wavy... it does not curl!!!
It's like a coarse version of a Type 2 or maybe
a coarse version of Type 3A and it's very fine.
It looked like this before I started getting relaxers:

53ftz4j.jpg

Anybody else have hair like this?

My SO has hair like the girl in the pic, but he does not as much density. What kinds of problems are you having?

SilverGirl... I love your hair...
I hope I'm lucky enough to have
curls like that... but I won't know
for a very very long time...
My only goal is to be BSL when straight
Love your Fotki too!!!

My SO has hair like the girl in the pic, but he does not as much density. What kinds of problems are you having?

I'm not having problems... just looking for other
people with hair like mines... esp those who have
transitioned so I can have more hair inspirations.

I'm a 3b, I think. Not sure. But anyway my hair is wavy throughout most of the entire length. Only the ends curl...and not always. There are days when my hair just looks wavy with no curl at all. It really depends on several factors. It used to be curlier, but as it grows it gets more wavy than anything else.

As has been said, you will have to wait until your transition is over before you know what your hair type is and therefore who has similar hair. It's just hard to tell until you get rid of the relaxed ends which may be weighing your hair down.

Last edited:
Yep Yep... tick tock tick tock...
can't wait... :pullhair:
It will be a good 6 months before
I even think of cutting my hair.
Actually, I've seen a lot of new heads
that I admire now but had
never seen before I made this post
so it's all good.

Your hair looks similar to mine when I was transitioning and I'm a 3c with 3b at the very top and in the back with 3C on the sides

SouthernTease.....how much new growth do you have? You may not have enough natural hair come in yet to curl or whatever like BMore said. I checked out your fotki and your roots seemed like they could be 3a/b'ish but I dunno, it's hard to tell. I remember when silvergirl was transitioning the weight of her relaxed hair made her natural hair look like waves and when she bc'd it was curlier.
This is what I'm thinking. It takes a long time to see what texture your hair is, and then when you chop it off, it tends to be of an even tighter pattern.

I'd say you're 3c/4a. Def not 2 anything. Wait for a few more months, and you should get a better picture of what your hair type is.

This is what I'm thinking. It takes a long time to see what texture your hair is, and then when you chop it off, it tends to be of an even tighter pattern.

I'd say you're 3c/4a. Def not 2 anything. Wait for a few more months, and you should get a better picture of what your hair type is.

That's the same exact thing I was trying to say. Thanks SQ and Silvergirl.

53ftz4j.jpg

I think some people
aren't understanding why I started this thread.
Read my original post
That's all I'm saying...
I'm not trying to find my hair type...
I don't care about that...
just looking for people who have a similar hair type to mines.

Last edited:
I think some people
Read my original post
That's all I'm saying...

I understand what you're saying but I think the point that people are trying to get at here is that you're probably not a 2, so looking for 2's on this board probably won't help you. I think that's why all the 3s are chiming in and saying that their hair looks similar.

Maybe I should have named this
thread... "Hair Typing is stupid"
or "My Hair Isn't Any of Those Types"
I dunno... whatever.

Last edited:

53ftz4j.jpg

This is my hair exactly, highlite color and all... Mine is just bigger in the crown area (my hair gorws out instead of down for the most part :sad: ) and a lil bit frizzier on the top. The pattern is of an "s".

Its a blessing and a curse.

My closest guess was a 3b...

Last edited:
I think some people
Read my original post
That's all I'm saying...
Go back and read the thread, plenty of folks have give out names and chimed in as being of a similar texture. :rolleyes:

I know I'm definitely not in the 4s... and not a 3c...
my hair is not that curly... my natural curls are very loose
I know I'm somewhere between a 2c-3b or some combination
on those... if ya'll look at my nape in my fotki photos... you'll
see my hair lies flat down... it's straight... It doesn't curl up at all.
SEE: Well, maybe you can't see this is not a good example...
Anyway... the back of my hair has very very loose curls (waves
if you will) and as we get closer to the crown it gets progressively curlier... I dunno how many types/textures I'm dealing with.

Your hair looks like it would probably be type 2c/3a in the back, and the top looks like typ 3b/4a to me (from the tight waves i can see)

I do think its going to be hard to see your true hair type until your relaxer grows out. I don't necesarily think you need to BC. Your transition should be pretty easy since a 2-something or even 3's dont' really even need perms.

I do have a question though, why did you start getting relaxer in the first place??? I know I'm a 3a or so and I see now I never really needed a relaxer.

If your hair is fine and not very curly , I probably would follow some of the 3a's regimens, I know my hair is fine and does not like much product at all.

I do think its going to be hard to see your true hair type until your relaxer grows out. I don't necesarily think you need to BC. Your transition should be pretty easy since a 2-something or even 3's dont' really even need perms.

I do have a question though, why did you start getting relaxer in the first place??? I know I'm a 3a or so and I see now I never really needed a relaxer.

If your hair is fine and not very curly , I probably would follow some of the 3a's regimens, I know my hair is fine and does not like much product at all.

11 years ago... I was 13 years old, my Mom's hair is 4A... she didn't know how to care for my hair... she just let the hair stylist do whatever. During puberty... my hair got nappier I guess... or dryer... I dunno... My hair was frizzy. I think if my mom knew the things I knew now... I would have never gotten a relaxer.

The waves are really starting to come in (21 wks post)...
I'll take pics in a few weeks when I reach 24 wks...

4yyuyhf.jpg

Last edited:
11 years ago... I was 13 years old, my Mom's hair is 4A... she didn't know how to care for my hair... she just let the hair stylist do whatever. During puberty... my hair got nappier I guess... or dryer... I dunno... My hair was frizzy. I think if my mom knew the things I knew now... I would have never gotten a relaxer.

The waves are really starting to come in (21 wks post)...
I'll take pics in a few weeks when I reach 24 wks...

4yyuyhf.jpg

In those pics I would say you are a 3a or 3b. Def. not a type 2. That's almost straight. Your hair has a little kink/coarseness (not that it is kinky) to it.

Yep yep... my hair gets very dry!!!
That's why I HAVE TO co-wash daily...
my hair is doing much better.
on the pic... the one with the curls...
my hair just got washed that same day...
in the one with the waves... I just woke
up, Dressed myself, I don't think anyone even did my hair that
day... so... yuck... but yeah... that's my issue...
my curls aren't tight enough to be 3
and my hair is not kinky/coarse enough to be a 4
I really wish I could show more pics
because people aren't believing me...
I have weird hair.

I think that's what you will need to do. Because your childhood pics and your newgrowth pics are saying something totally different than a type 2. TOTALLY different. What's wrong with being labeled a type 3 or 4?

Nobody NEEDS a relaxer.

There is no need to be uh-ohing...

Locks I can see how it could be taken that way and I will certainly give Scarlett the b.o.d.:yep: I just dont like implications that any hair type needs a "fix".

I feel you. I really do. But MissS is smarter than that. She knows how LHCF get down. We all know how those comments are responded to here (hint hint :gotroasted:)

I just think it was a bad choice of wording.

There is no need to be uh-ohing...

Locks I can see how it could be taken that way and I will certainly give Scarlett the b.o.d.:yep: I just dont like implications that any hair type needs a "fix".
Yeah I agree... I was thinking "No one needs a relaxer" in my head as well when I read MissScarlett's comment. Even though she didn't intentionally mean it that way, there was some sort of underlying "meaning" (don't know the correct word to use here) to her statement.

I think that's what you will need to do. Because your childhood pics and your newgrowth pics are saying something totally different than a type 2. TOTALLY different. What's wrong with being labeled a type 3 or 4?

Yeah this whole thing is soooo tricky! I mean, looking at pic 3 of 16 in your July 2007 album-- it looks like 4a to me. But after you put applied the conditioner with the applicator in later pics, it looked almost texturized or something.

Kind OT: Why exactly do you apply the conditioner with an applicator brush? Is this easier or cuts down on time or something?:spinning:

Back