Hair type overload- Too many hair type discussions and arguments

I also don't like Andre's hair typing system b/c I think it confuses people bc there's too many grey areas with this section and after you figure out your hair type, then what? You still don't really have an understanding of your hair and what products it will respond to. Then you have some that use the system incorrectly and claim they are one type when in some instances they clearly aren't. Then come the heated debates and comments. You have some are trying to prove they"re in the "kinky hair club" when they may be a 3b/3c or some trying to be in the "curly" hair club when they may be a 4a.

It's too exhausting. Just learn your hair's texture and what it needs. That's what really matters. And you're not learning the texture for anyone else but your hair so you can give it what it likes and needs; so it will show off in a good way for you.

I wish there was a system that categorized hair by growth-rate! I'm just saying!

I have done so much reading and tried so many different things to obtain more length; I condition, I cover, baggy, etc and my hair still just grows so slowly. When I look at pictures of ladies with hair down their backs I really believe it is mostly because of hair type and not just their routine. For that reason alone, I think hair type is very relevant if we had a reliable system.

I don't mind the hair typing threads. I like to look at natural hair.

The only thing I hate is when someone asks what their type is, they get an answer that I guess they don't like ("4b" or "you need to wash that conditioner out your hair and stop stretching it") and they get mad. They can't be a 4b, because their coils are 1/100000th of a millimeter wider than the 4b in the Andre picture.
I mean...if you already had this idea in your head...you just KNEW you were a 3zzzzzzzzz, then why you asked for? :rofl:

Folks just need to get over it and claim whatever they have on their heads.

I honestly don't care. They paid their 6.50 just like I did so if I'm not interested I KIM. No need to irritate myself by reading a thread that annoys me. For example, I'd rather not read things about MJ (loved his music, nothing against him RIP) so I don't go in the MJ forum.

The idea of reading a thread I'm not interested in just boggles my mind :spinning:

Hair typing and product use for the hair type has not helped me at all. ....... Hair typing will only further divide the black/latin community only further so just be happy with what is given to and work on your hair to make it as beautiful as possible.

ITA. I can't really talk because I find myself commenting in those threads (I think I even started one :blush:), but I've realized that it's an extremely divisive issue. After the last thread, I'm not even sure if I should be complimenting people's hair, lest I be accused of having a preference of one hair type over another. :ohwell:

But again, it's just like some other poster said, when they were younger and natural, their mother didn't know her child's hair type yet her hair flourished.

It's not that hard to cut down on the hair typing threads, it really isn't. If you are natural and/or transitioning and inquire about that, then asked about it in the "natural" or "transitioning" threads. But to start, countless and countless types of threads about this, makes me wonder about why we need to know so badly our "hair type".

Sometimes, sometimes, we make things way more complicated on this board that it should be.

:yawn:

I think it's not that important to people when they join, but it's in everybody's siggy, listed on youtube videos, even asked in your profile. So, one starts to think..."I should know my hair type." I didn't think about it for the whole first year that was a member, until it became a hot topic.

...if you're on a skin forum or looking for a cleansing product the first thing they want you to identify is your skin TYPE -oily, combination, dry etc...
...when I'm looking for makeup, sometimes certain colours are based on ones complexion/shade.
...if you're looking for a hairstyle or glasses, there are sections based on face shape -round, oval, heart etc...

So breaking down skin type, hair type etc.. is obviously very important when it comes to product find!

I agree, but that's part of the problem. People start to identify too much with a certain "type" instead of finding what's right for them. I have oily skin and for years I was using products for oily/combination skin only and they were drying out my skin and making my breakouts worse. I didn't realize I had oily/combination, sensitive skin that needed deep cleansing and daily moisture, and no scrubs.

It wasn't until I started experimenting and ignoring skin typing that I found out what worked for my skin. The focus on "skin typing" is convenient for the skin care industry, but it's probably part of the reason why it takes people many, many years to find products that work! If skin typing really helped people find products, then people wouldn't suffer from breakouts for so many years!!!! :nono:

Likewise, people spend a lot of time buying products based on CURL TYPING (which is all the 1, 2, 3, 4, system is) instead of finding what works for them individually.

ETA: But, yeah, I don't have a problem with the hair typing threads or any other thread. If I don't feel like reading it or commenting, I just skip over it.

I don't mind doing searches so I don't think I'd take offense if I was told to--unless I already did the search and failed to find anything. I mean, it could be worse:

Newbie: What is hair typing?

Oldie: You're kidding, right? Alrighty then, don't sweat your poor li'l head and fingers. Just sit back and if it isn't too much to ask, click here.

ETA: Now ^^THAT would be rude.

Where did you find that link? :lachen::lachen::lachen: It looked as if somebody had taken over my computer!:lol:

I just get annoyed when I read the hair typing threads people with different curl patterns sit and cry & complain about their hair and tell the other curl patterns why their hair is easier blah blah blah...

I just enjoy seeing natural hair in all it's forms.

It is that type of stuff that I'm talking about. Why do people get upset if someone puts the "wrong" hair type according to them. People seem to get really intense about hair type and I just don't get it. Maybe the title of my thread should have been why are people so upset and intense about hair type. That is really my issue. I pay attention to hair type when checking on products etc... but I don't get mad at someone if they look like a 4b but post that they are a 3a. Why should I care?

Thanks Ms Lala...I thought I was the only one...because when I first saw the thread I was like...for real? You mean to tell me that you just KNOW my hair by looking at my siggy pic? You're telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about about MY HAIR? I'm thinking...honey you wouldn't have been calling me a 3C on BC day!:ohwell:

But really for the other comments....Its true...hair typing helped ME put things in perspective about MY hair....I would be remissed if I did not acknowledge how empowered I felt when it came to learning about my hair and hair similar to mine....I am all for sharing or leading people to information (and pics....can't forget the pics) that will help someone feel as empowered like I did........We are all here to learn and gain knowledge...plain and simple....but I feel like its the hair typing wars or something.....Give tips...leave it at that...FOr those seeking help...its always trial and error....no one can really with 100% certainty say some product or method didn't work SOLEY because of texture issues...It could be (bio)chemical, metabolism, protein-related...timing...or simply the health of the strand......

...if you're on a skin forum or looking for a cleansing product the first thing they want you to identify is your skin TYPE -oily, combination, dry etc...
...when I'm looking for makeup, sometimes certain colours are based on ones complexion/shade.
...if you're looking for a hairstyle or glasses, there are sections based on face shape -round, oval, heart etc...

So breaking down skin type, hair type etc.. is obviously very important when it comes to product find!

Yeah but they don't have "extreme oily" or "extreme dry" or Dry sensitive or Oily Sensitive.

Same with the hair, I understand, curly, wavy, straight, thick, thin, whatever. But the way we go overboard with the types and the amount of time trying to break down details and then to fill the boards with the AMOUNT of threads dedicated to hair type. That's what some people are saying is getting out of control.

Yes it's okay to know your hair type but it's not THAT complicated to figure out. You know if you hair is coarse or not, or if it's more curly or if it's curls vs. coils vs. waves. You know this.

Back when more people were wearing their natural hair, you didn't even hear about "hair type" and people's hair grew more!

Matter of fact, brothers hair seem to grow faster than ours and they don't worry or ask about their hair type. Yet their hair seems to flourish too!

I honestly don't care. They paid their 6.50 just like I did so if I'm not interested I KIM. No need to irritate myself by reading a thread that annoys me. For example, I'd rather not read things about MJ (loved his music, nothing against him RIP) so I don't go in the MJ forum.

The idea of reading a thread I'm not interested in just boggles my mind :spinning:

Yeah but if you come on the board and there are so many hair type threads that you have to scroll through to find something you are interested in, that is a problem.

That's exactly why the separate MJ board was created in the Entertainment forum. Because there were SO MANY threads pertaining to MJ that it was practically taking over the entertainment boards.

So it's the same for these "hair type" threads. Maybe make a separate section on the Discussion Boards for "Hair Type Only". That way ALL the people that want to know can go directly there. And others who also paid their money, can enjoy the rest of the threads that are dedicated to generally hair care.

Last edited:
Back when more people were wearing their natural hair, you didn't even hear about "hair type" and people's hair grew more!

Matter of fact, brothers hair seem to grow faster than ours and they don't worry or ask about their hair type. Yet their hair seems to flourish too!
So true. I looked at pictures of my mom back in the '70s & early '80s and she had this huge afro that was beautiful. She said all she did was wet it every day, greased her sclap and picked out her hair to form her afro. Also my brother who just rinses his hair every occasionally washes w/ either shampoo or irish spring soap and his hair is beautiful and grows like weeds. Simple is better sometimes.

i just kinda think a lot of people are so excited to show waves, curls, loose coils
others are sooooo excited to point out waves, curls, loose coil

so those without waves, curls, loose coils...... i.e. slightly coarser hair or slightly less ....to NO curl definition they are almost ignored, less complimented, less ooooooooohhhhs less aaaaaaaahhhhhs....made to feel less than! THERE LIES THE PROBLEM WITH THE HAIR TYPING SYSTEM....people again feel segregated

as i mentioned before
"SAME REASONING" GIRLS IN CHILDHOOD CLAIMED------> "I'VE GOT INDIAN IN MY FAMILY" <-- that "desirable" hair pattern

ANYONE EVER REMEMBER "A BOY" SAYING HE HAS "INDIAN" IN HIS FAMILY???

Last edited:
i just kinda think a lot of people are so excited to show waves, curls, loose coils

so those without waves, curls, loose coils...... i.e. slightly coarser hair or slightly less ....to NO curl definition they are almost ignored, less complimented, less ooooooooohhhhs less aaaaaaaahhhhhs....made to feel less than! THERE LIES THE PROBLEM WITH THE HAIR TYPING SYSTEM....people again feel segregated

as i mentioned before
"SAME REASONING" GIRLS IN CHILDHOOD CLAIMED------> "I'VE GOT INDIAN IN MY FAMILY" <-- that "desirable" hair pattern

:clap: Exactly! I thought the purpose of this ENTIRE board and website was to grow our hair long? I mean if hair typing is that serious for some people, I say start the separate section on the board. You know catagories; General Hair Discussion, Hair Type, etc.

as i mentioned before

See, I don't discriminate. I ignore everyone. :lol:

No on a serious note, am I the only one that skips over 90% of the threads on a page? It's not that hard people! I don't read product reviews or threads about products I don't use (Skala, Crisco, Butters, Yes to Carrots), I don't read any of the challenges (Juice, Supplement, Weave it up, Daily CW, Classic Length), I don't read transitioning thread or threads for relaxed heads and texlaxed heads unless I'm really bored and have nothing else to read and I do not read the "What are your hair plans this weekend?" threads.

So at the time I was posting this, excluding the stickies, I had to skip over all the threads mentioned above (they were all on page one) to find the two I was actually interested in, and then I will move on to the next page. It is a no brainer and I didn't even break a sweat.

There are so many other forums on LHCF such that if you get to page 3 in the hair forum and nothing interests you, go to New Posts or iSpy and find out where it's happening. :whyme:

I hated all the threads of "who's hot and who's not?" in ET forum and some days there'd be about 6 or 7 on page one. But I KIM and opened the ones that interested me. And I skip topics on all forums I visit that I find uber silly, which BTW, on days when there's a full moon could be 80 percent of what's posted in some of the forums I visit. So do I sit about and seethe at the lunacy? No. I go find something else to read or do. I don't even have FB or Twitter or MySpace or any of the other "fun" (ahem :perplexed) sites folks spend hours on that I could escape to. Yet I don't find myself getting worked up coz one of my favorite sites has been invaded by crazies. (Actually, some crazies do make it fun and can keep you away from the hair forum :giggle: ) Actually perhaps some of you need to explore other forums and see that you do not have to put up with stuff that annoys you or that doesn't interest you.

This reminds me of back when people wanted a separate forum for naturals. The forum was mostly relaxed. I was natural. I didn't care for that. I was happy to have us all in one place. I was OK to skip over 99% of threads for relaxed folks to find the ones that interested me. I have never understood this irritation with having to "work" for what you want. And this isn't even hard labor. Y'all are acting like skipping over threads involves heavy lifting. :ohwell:

Last edited:
I thought this site was designed to help people. It seems really rude when oldheads demand you search for super old threads that are 100's of pages long. If you don't feel inclined to help someone out, don't respond to the thread. Who cares how many times someone asks about hair texture, if it was so cut and dry then there wouldn't be "50/11" threads to begin with.

I just don't understand where all these e-frustration comes from.

AMEN! If you are tired of seeing the same threads THEN TOO BAD. I don't mean to be rude but some people know NOTHING about hair care OR this forum. It will be sad if such person sees this thread first on the forum and immediately thinks that they can't ask what they want to ask because so-and-so is tired of seeing "this type of thread". :nono:

If you don't want to see it, do something else with your time...

It doesn't bother me that people want to know there hair type. It bothers me when people are arguing about type. Point in case the thread about the lady with "4b" hair who was using a ton of gel to hold curls. The thread turned into a big argument about typing and what type is looked at or appreciate more on the board and how when type looks over another. There seems to be more issue w/this lately. I am not against typing in general. It is the tone and content of some of the hair-typing thread that seem to go south quickly.

That's true. I've noticed it too. But I still don't mind because I know that a lot of people still have that good/bad hair mentality even if they're not willing to acknowledge it.

The problem is NOT in the hair typing system, it's in the mind of people. Before there were 3's and 4's, there were people with curly hair and those with kinky hair and the division already existed.

And you see it everywhere, not only in the hair typing threads.

I do notice that pictures with a certain hair type are thanked and celebrated more than others... but I'm usually too busy :drool: at healthy-looking hair to really care. Their issue, not mine.

However knowing my hair type is important to me because it helps me better understand what Cisselette's 4a hair can/can't do and why.
For instance, I gathered tons of infos/ideas from Ediese, Nichi, BlackMasterPiece etc. because I noticed that their wet/dry hair looks a lot like what I see in the mirror. I know it won't always be true but for me, similar-looking hair is a good starting point and so far it works for me.

Now, when a hair typing thread stops being informative and becomes silly, I stop reading comments and focus on pictures for styling ideas.

Or I avoid it completely. It's not that hard. :yep:

Are people really monitoring compliments and catching feelings over it? The only person that has to like your hair is you! Why set expectations for others that you cannot meet? I could understand upset feelings if people were making disparaging remarks over different hair types. That is not happening in the hair type discussions.

No on a serious note, am I the only one that skips over 90% of the threads on a page.

No, you're not. Sometimes I log on, don't see anything I wanna read up to page 4... and log right off !

It's not that hard people! I don't read product reviews or threads about products I don't use (Skala, Crisco, Butters, Yes to Carrots), I don't read any of the challenges (Juice, Supplement, Weave it up, Daily CW, Classic Length),

Me neither. Rarely ever do.

I don't read transitioning thread or threads for relaxed heads and texlaxed heads unless I'm really bored and have nothing else to read and I do not read the "What are your hair plans this weekend?" threads.

Sometimes I read the relaxed/transitioning threads to learn something new or gather info to help friends. I don't think I've ever even clicked on a "What are your hair plan" type of thread.

When I really can't find anything interesting, I do a search on a topic that I want to learn more about.

Or I do a search on threads created by a member I find interesting (in a good or a bad way :grin:).

I'm so confused because as soon as I think I've figured the whole hair typing thing out someone will post pics saying they're 3c when it looks like they're 4b. :ohwell:

O-KAY?!?!?!? Hair Typing was one of the biggest turning points in my journey to health and retention.

I was like Oh THATS why them products them loosly curly girls use don't do a thing to my kinks:rofl:

Honey without hairtyping I woud still be perpetually stuck between APL and MBL clueless as to how to care for or style my hair.

As soon as I knew what to call my tight coils I could identify others, make important improvements to my regimen and products and it just took off from there.

Hair typing was so liberating for me....thank goodness for it.

I agree. I think it is an individual thing. It has personally liberated my DD's hair for me to see types that look like hers on this site, other sites and youtube because now I know what I can expect her hair to do and not do, and it is not so frustrating for me. It was nothing wrong with her hair. It was my expectations that were off. I was expecting it to behave differently and know that I know her hair type, it has sent me in the right direction to atleast using products and techniques that work better for her, than say me. It was a godsend!

For some people it may help. For others not so much. Right now, I am not so much concerned about my hair type but for the 4bs in my family, whose hair clearly doesn't do what some of the hair in some pics do, it has helped tremendously. Even in a matter of weeks! To be able to just look at pictures even of similar hair types to see how they are styled, for example, act to curlers, heat, etc can show you what perhaps you can expect or not expect certain types to do.

Not that any of it is written in stone but it can help some. I'd rather start with a limited amount of products (that other 4bs use) and work my way out than the other way around.

I have to say, I love seeing the different hair types and it's diversity. It has helped me to see the beauty in all types of hair. And what is more beautiful than anything to me, moreso than the hair itself, is people accepting their hair and embracing it for what it is.

Last edited:
I did a vid on this same convo...it could help determining your hair type just to associate with people with a similar texture to see what methods/stylers they use...but then again, you have to think abt density and several other things so even though someone seemingly has your same texture, doesn't mean your hair will turn out the same way using "_____" Product, etc..

Even though I have my hair type on here, I think it just divides us more.

I agree with the "What is my hair type?" threads. I don't think I go in those anymore. Like stated earlier in the thread, its so simple...look at pics...You know what your hair looks like more than anyone else.

I totally agree. If it isn't one thing it's another, but the hair typing has tak'n the cake. I think it's a little bit of truth rapped around a lot of heart ache and confusion. It's so bad that people make up hair types and further confuse others. I would much rather you explain your hair to me accompanied with a picture.
I am 4a, but I got most of my hair care practices from other hair types...
Hair typing helps some, but to help someone would mean that they need your help or asked for it. Not telling people that they are in denial because they believe themself to be one hair type when they are clearly another!

Thanks for all the responses ladies. I really feel like I have a better understanding of why some people are wrapped up w/hair type. I have figured out what was bothering me. It was the whole undertone of good hair/bad hair in some of the threads. I couldn't put my finger on it until I went through these posts. It really is about the intent of the posters, and what's going on in their heads. Some people really do want to discuss hair type for the purpose of finding the right products, styling, etc... some people are still hung up on whether someone's "got that good hair" and that underlying thought has been present in several threads.

Thanks ladies.

Thanks for all the responses ladies. I really feel like I have a better understanding of why some people are wrapped up w/hair type. I have figured out what was bothering me. It was the whole undertone of good hair/bad hair in some of the threads. I couldn't put my finger on it until I went through these posts. It really is about the intent of the posters, and what's going on in their heads. Some people really do want to discuss hair type for the purpose of finding the right products, styling, etc... some people are still hung up on whether someone's "got that good hair" and that underlying thought has been present in several threads.

Thanks ladies.

exactly:drunk::drunk:

No on a serious note, am I the only one that skips over 90% of the threads on a page? It's not that hard people! I don't read product reviews or threads about products I don't use (Skala, Crisco, Butters, Yes to Carrots), I don't read any of the challenges (Juice, Supplement, Weave it up, Daily CW, Classic Length), I don't read transitioning thread or threads for relaxed heads and texlaxed heads unless I'm really bored and have nothing else to read and I do not read the "What are your hair plans this weekend?" threads.

So at the time I was posting this, excluding the stickies, I had to skip over all the threads mentioned above (they were all on page one) to find the two I was actually interested in, and then I will move on to the next page. It is a no brainer and I didn't even break a sweat.

There are so many other forums on LHCF such that if you get to page 3 in the hair forum and nothing interests you, go to New Posts or iSpy and find out where it's happening. :whyme:

I hated all the threads of "who's hot and who's not?" in ET forum and some days there'd be about 6 or 7 on page one. But I KIM and opened the ones that interested me. And I skip topics on all forums I visit that I find uber silly, which BTW, on days when there's a full moon could be 80 percent of what's posted in some of the forums I visit. So do I sit about and seethe at the lunacy? No. I go find something else to read or do. I don't even have FB or Twitter or MySpace or any of the other "fun" (ahem :perplexed) sites folks spend hours on that I could escape to. Yet I don't find myself getting worked up coz one of my favorite sites has been invaded by crazies. (Actually, some crazies do make it fun and can keep you away from the hair forum :giggle: ) Actually perhaps some of you need to explore other forums and see that you do not have to put up with stuff that annoys you or that doesn't interest you.

This reminds me of back when people wanted a separate forum for naturals. The forum was mostly relaxed. I was natural. I didn't care for that. I was happy to have us all in one place. I was OK to skip over 99% of threads for relaxed folks to find the ones that interested me. I have never understood this irritation with having to "work" for what you want. And this isn't even hard labor. Y'all are acting like skipping over threads involves heavy lifting. :ohwell:

first of all....you had me rolling ...you're funny as hellllllo!
needed some humor on here (4real)

and gurl u should check out twitter....often times it's absolutely hilarious!

as to the OP's post

"I think" she meant....THE DIVISION felt by some as well as the feeling that certain hair types make people feel inferior ......in the sense of "their hair type is less beautiful, less attractive " b/c it's not the EXOTIC CURLS, COILS, WAVES...ETC!!

I'M NOT SPEAKING FOR THE "OP" OF COURSE....I AM RESPONDING TO THE NUMEROUS....NUMEROUS BLOGS OF PEOPLE DISCUSSING THE "PROBLEM WITH HAIR TYPING"

IF THEY ALL FELT EQUAL...THERE WOULD BE NO DISCUSSION

I DON'T get into the typing thing #1 b/c i'm a dork and don't really know my type #2 i don't give a dayuum :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: so from thread to thread (god' honest truth) one can see me shouting out any & every hair type simply b/c i'm not really interested

BUT ..........

I REMEMBER A VIDEO OF A LADY NAMED LEOBODY ON YOUTUBE SPEAKING MORE THAN PASSIONATELY (LONG TIME AGO.....I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE HEELLLLL SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT) ABOUT THE "DIVISION" SHE SEES AND HER "DISGUST" FOR HAIR TYPING

AND ALONG SIDE THE PANEL ABOUT 20 OTHER VIDEOS OF THE SAME THING!!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: SO JUST AS I SAID......SIMILIAR TO THE GOOD HAIR vs BAD HAIR (by the way my 85 yr old grandma keeps saying that ****, my niece has "good hair")...i digress......just as the good/hair talk has seperated the general world...making you feel like if you're not "THIS" then you're not as good as "THAT"

THE HAIR TYPING IS DOING A DAYUUM GOOD JOB of DOING THE SAME DAYUUM THING (within the "hair forums, sites, youtube---with some ....not others) in making a few people feel their hair isn't as pretty....as accepted

I think we eventually will have a chance to adjust the descriptive value of it.....but as for now...clicking on "other threads" may work if the THREAD IS ENTITLED "HAIR TYPING" ...but the hundreds of threads i've clicked on usually were not

I hope the 2's & 3's are very proud of what they're working with....but I (at least now that i know what a hair type means)....... see how the issue is a little more pressing to some <---my guess those like the OP & others making videos expressing distaste for being "categorized"

IT'S NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND THE CONTROVERSY..... I SEE SOOOOOOOO MANY "HAIR GURUS" EXPRESS CONTEMPT FOR BEING ASKED "YOU MUST BE MIXED" SIMPLY B/C THEIR HAIR TEXTURE APPEARS AS IF IN THE "THREE HOOD"....... or if it's "silky, wavy, or curly"

idk.....KANYE SHRUG

Last edited:
@The hairlab & Nonie that is so true.

yep yep sis.....

nonie is right......WE DON'T WANT "ANYONE" TO FEEL EXCLUDED <--OR not as attractive... IT' VERY EASY TO FOR YOUNG LADIES ON HERE TO FEEL INFERIOR << FEELING NOT QUITE GOOD ENUFF......(lol....what if we had a SKIN TYPING SYSTEM?) may as well, its what we've already done to our own

WE ALL READY DON'T Show "OUR SKIN & Type 4 natural HAIR IN VIDEOS":lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: IF YOU DON'T LOOK "EXOTIC...or mixed....YOU'RE OUT":wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

SO THIS IS ONE MORE PLACE WHERE THE YOUNGER GIRLS MAY LEARN DIVISION & ESTEEM ISSUES

ya'll have to remember...."WE OLD HEADS CAN WEATHER THE BEST OF THE STORMS".....but the younger ladies are just now "building" that self-estem that will carry them thru life

it's not always about "US"

meanwhile...back at the ranch: if only I COULD GET MY LITTLE NIECES TO STOP ONLY LIKING LONG STRAIGHT HAIR!

Last edited:
first of all....you had me rolling ...you're funny as hellllllo!
needed some humor on here (4real)

and gurl u should check out twitter....often times it's absolutely hilarious!

as to the OP's post

"I think" she meant....THE DIVISION felt by some as well as the feeling that certain hair types make people feel inferior ......in the sense of "their hair type is less beautiful, less attractive " b/c it's not the EXOTIC CURLS, COILS, WAVES...ETC!!

I'M NOT SPEAKING FOR THE "OP" OF COURSE....I AM RESPONDING TO THE NUMEROUS....NUMEROUS BLOGS OF PEOPLE DISCUSSING THE "PROBLEM WITH HAIR TYPING"

IF THEY ALL FELT EQUAL...THERE WOULD BE NO DISCUSSION

I DON'T get into the typing thing #1 b/c i'm a dork and don't really know my type #2 i don't give a dayuum :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: so from thread to thread (god' honest truth) one can see me shouting out any & every hair type simply b/c i'm not really interested

BUT ..........

I REMEMBER A VIDEO OF A LADY NAMED LEOBODY ON YOUTUBE SPEAKING MORE THAN PASSIONATELY (LONG TIME AGO.....I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE HEELLLLL SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT) ABOUT THE "DIVISION" SHE SEES AND HER "DISGUST" FOR HAIR TYPING

AND ALONG SIDE THE PANEL ABOUT 20 OTHER VIDEOS OF THE SAME THING!!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: SO JUST AS I SAID......SIMILIAR TO THE GOOD HAIR vs BAD HAIR (by the way my 85 yr old grandma keeps saying that ****, my niece has "good hair")...i digress......just as the good/hair talk has seperated the general world...making you feel like if you're not "THIS" then you're not as good as "THAT"

THE HAIR TYPING IS DOING A DAYUUM GOOD JOB of DOING THE SAME DAYUUM THING (within the "hair forums, sites, youtube---with some ....not others) in making a few people feel their hair isn't as pretty....as accepted

I think we eventually will have a chance to adjust the descriptive value of it.....but as for now...clicking on "other threads" may work if the THREAD IS ENTITLED "HAIR TYPING" ...but the hundreds of threads i've clicked on usually were not

I hope the 2's & 3's are very proud of what they're working with....but I (at least now that i know what a hair type means)....... see how the issue is a little more pressing to some <---my guess those like the OP & others making videos expressing distaste for being "categorized"

IT'S NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND THE CONTROVERSY..... I SEE SOOOOOOOO MANY "HAIR GURUS" EXPRESS CONTEMPT FOR BEING ASKED "YOU MUST BE MIXED" SIMPLY B/C THEIR HAIR TEXTURE APPEARS AS IF IN THE "THREE HOOD"....... or if it's "silky, wavy, or curly"

idk.....KANYE SHRUG

Thanks. In the bolded part you expressed what I was trying to say better than I did:yep:. I just knew that some of the threads felt off and very uncomfortable in tone. Especially when they blew up into full arguments. I just couldn't put my finger on why which is why I started the thread. I just wasn't getting it.

Back